[4] - What You Can’t See

Keep You Close || JENSOO

Chapter 4

 

 

 

 

Jennie in her room, sitting on the bed, putting her head between her knees and thinking about those men who came to meet Jisoo.

 

Is it possible that these men are the same people who are looking for her? No, it can't be. How would they know where she is?  

 

Well, even if they are the same people, fortunately, Jisoo didn't go out to meet them and only sent this old man to deal with them. 

 

Ah right, he became aware of their existence too. She can tell that he didn't believe them not even one bit, his eyes are full of suspicion. She must be careful when he's around and beware of him. Let's just hope that nothing bad happens.

 

Jennie looks at the sleeve of the shirt she is wearing, raises the hem a little with her hand and starts to feel its fabric with her thumb.

 She never expected that she would bring her one of her own clothes.

 

 'It's silky and cool.'

 

She pulls the sleeve up near her face and then smells it. 

 

'It smells nice too.'

 

So this is what a decent rich life looks like. She's grateful that she was able to experience this feeling even if it will be for a short period of time. Anyway, Jisoo asked them to go down at twelve o'clock for lunch. 

 

Good for her, that means two hours to sleep through!

 

 

 

 .  . . . . . .

 

 

 

 "We thank you for letting us meet you. We're sure that what we will say, will meet your liking very much." Says the man with a broad smile.

 

One of his companions approaches him and whisperes to his ear to then he returns his attention to Min Yoo. 

 

"Just to be clear, are you the owner of this mansion?" He says looking at how fancy dressed Min Yoo is.

 

"Are you the head of this group?" Hearing Min Yoo's surprising response, the man narrows his eyes, confused.

 

 "What do you mean?" 

 

"I'm not the owner, but it seems that the one who sent you did not teach you any manners, since he himself doesn't have it." The man jumps off his chair, angry, offended by the response of Min Yoo.

 

"Hey, you! who do you think yourself to insult our leader like this? It's better for you to take back your words and now!"

 

"Go and tell your leader. if he wants to meet the owner of this mansion, he has to come by himself. Not send a punch of children."

 

Min Yoo leaves the men in shock and outrage, a person like that looks down on them and despises even though he is a servant too. It baffles them more that they cannot do anything, seeing the security guards of the mansion surrounding them. 

 

 "Dammit!" He says and take his way out.

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 .

 

 .

 

Jennie goes out of her room to see Lisa and Chaeyoung have already gone out, standing in the middle of the wing and she approaches them.

 

 "Umm..Lisa, about yesterday. I would like to thank you for what you did, without you I don't know what would have happened, so thank you." She starts bashfully as they begin to walk towards the door. 

 

"Oh, it's ok. I did it for us." Lisa replies nonchalantly and lets Chaeyoung walk out of the door first then she follows. 

 

 "Well..in any case, thank you." She adds in a gentle tone while Chaeyoung just rolls her eyes.

 

"So, how is your arm?"

 

"It hurts a little, but overall it's fine."

 

 "Since we're on it, you could have broken the table with only your hand, why your arm got hurt too?" Jennie asks stopping, making them stop too. 

 

"Oh, this was basically the plan, but when I was about to smash it, my feet stumbled and I fell on it. I was so nervous." Lisa answers reliving the memory with her facial expressions as she speaks. 

 

"From now on, I will never ask you about anything." Jennie deadpans and just starts walking again. 

 

The girls descend the stairs as Jisoo asked them, at twelve o'clock. They look around, not knowing where to go until they see who is waiting for them at the end of the stairs. 

 

 "From here, I'll take you to where the lady is."

 

While they're following Min Yoo, they take their time to look at the mansion well, since the last time the darkness prevented them from doing so. Now that they are seeing it clearly, they are even more impressed with its beauty. 

 

 

 

Jennie caught on something while she was looking at the walls of the mansion , which she had noticed before.

 

At first she didn't pay much attention to it, but now that she see it well. This Jisoo, is really arrogant.  Meaning, her portraits are basically on every wall! Like, okay..they get it, she's so beautiful. But this? This is too exaggerated. No wonder she's so full of herself. She won't be surprised if she is helping them just for show.

 

They arrive at the dining hall and find Jisoo sitting at the head of the table. She smiles when she notices them coming and points to them to have a seat. They look at the table and what have been put on it. All the dishes that only luxury restaurants offer, are in front of them and within their reach.

 

Jennie turnes her eyes to Lisa to find her drooling while she was looking at the food in amazement. Then her eyes lay on Chaeyoung and find her has already sat and started eating, her eyes turned into hearts. She sighs a little and then sits too along with Lisa.

 

Min Yoo, who was standing next to Jisoo, notices Chaeyoung as she eats with both hands. Turning to Jisoo and leaning a bit, he whispers to her."Ma'am, is the girl with blond hair at the end of the table, the one who kept eating the apple when you caught them?"

 

 "Yeah, right. How did you know?"

 

 "It's obvious ma'am." He says and then goes back to standing aside leaving Jisoo confused a little.

 

 "Is there something wrong?" Jisoo says softly when she notices that Jennie doesn't eat much and eats slowly. "Is the food not up to your liking perhaps?" 

 

Surprised by Jisoo's question, she quickly shakes her head, to then she points to the food and follows it with an Ok sign and a weak smile, which means that the food has met her taste. 

 

And it is. She just trying her best to take as little as she can from what Jisoo is offering her, whether it's clothes or food or anything. Because she's only here to hide, that's the only thing she needs and she doesn't want to get involved with this girl nor get her involved. 

 

 "good." Jisoo says smiling back and proceeds to eat.

 

One of the servants enters and approaches Min Yoo, and then whispers to him something. Once the servant has finished what she was telling, she leaves and Min Yoo turns toward Jisoo and asks her for permission to leave and she grants him that.

 

"Ma'am, we just got the secret code for the safe in your room. We can move the money in now." Min Yoo says looking at the girls, in clear voice and sharp tone, after his return from his absence that lasted for a few minutes.

 

Min Yoo could have delayed telling Jisoo the news regarding the safe until the girls have gone, but he deliberately did so to see their reaction. Lisa and Chaeyoung only continued eating their food while Jennie stopped a little and then continued as if she had not heard anything. Jisoo notices while Min Yoo is telling her, his eyes are focused on the girls. 

 

 "Well, tell me later and also.." she signs to him to get closer so she can whisper to him.

 

"Would you stop looking at them as if they were about to explode at any second? You're freaking them out."

 

"Oh, sorry. I'm still not quite used to this, so I wasn't quite aware of myself. I'll stop it right away." Min Yoo says and turns his eyes away, standing next to Jisoo. 

 

After a few bites, Jisoo remembers something she had previously requested from Min Yoo, and she asks him whether it has arrived or not.

 

 "Yes, they were already put in their rooms." Min Yoo answers drawing the girls' attention to look at them with questioning expressions.

 

 "Oh, I asked him to buy you some clothes since it doesn't make sense to spend the whole day in sleepwear, does it?"

 

 The girls smile and nod with gratitude. 

 

 

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

"Welcome, Mr. A, The evening just became better, now that you are here. And for that we have prepared for you- "

 

"I didn't come here to chat, Mr. Park."

 

The man nicknamed 'A' says with cold tone, from his eyes you can tell that he wasn't joking. He looks like someone who has lost his patience. 

 

 "Where's my money?"

 

"Oh, your money, yeah..of course, it's ready. I was going to open this topic after dinner, but since you brought it up.." Park says with a subtle smile, and then he orders one of his men to bring in the money, minutes pass and the man returns with two bags and puts them on the table in front of Mr. A. 

 

He opens the two bags to make sure they are real and then lets his man counts them. 

 

 "Well , the deal is finished. Now if you allow me, I will not be able to stay with you for dinner."

 

Mr. A stands up and walks to the door, and before he goes out, he stops and turns toward Mr. Park.

 

"Mr. Park, I hope next time there won't be such a delay. It's for the benefit of the two of us." He adds with a smile and sharp gaze, a special language that only the person who works in this field can understand.

 

He was straightforward threatening him. 

 

Mr. Park already knows how much Mr. A, and those who stand behind him, are strong and powerful, and for this time only he intends to play according to their rules and conditions.

 

 Once Mr. A goes out of the door, Mr. Park stops smiling, and turns to one of his men, and asks them with an angry tone. "Where the hell is Matthew?"

 

"He's still at the back, at the party, sir-"

 

"Tell him to come, right now!"

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

 

 Men go hastily to the backyard from the house where the party is, their eyes are searching for Matthew. The place is crowded and everyone is busy dancing and drinking. They try to cross from among the crowded people until one of them sees Matthew at the pool.

 

 "There he is! He's by the pool!" He shouts at them and then goes toward Matthew and they follow.

 

 "Sir! sir! Could you stop for a moment?"

 

"What? What is there? Don't you see I'm busy?" Matthew says with an angry tone, because they cut his intimate conversation with the girl next to him.

 

 "Your father is calling for you! he wants you right now!"

 

 "Ugh! what does he want now? dammit!!" 

 

He shouldn't have told him anything.

 

 . . . . . . . . 

 

"Just now I have paid ten million dollars of my own money so that our graves won't be dug because my dear son couldn't find a homeless old man who stole our money nor even his daughter!" Mr. park says angrily. 

 

"Is that why I chose you to take care of this matter? to spend it in parties and screw around with girls? Answer me!"

 

Matthew passes his hand on his cheek, to ease the pain from the slap, and looks back at his father. 

 

 "What do you want me to do more? We searched all the island and there's no sign of them." Matthew says in a stressed tone, irritated." Do you want me to search the homes of wealthy families as well? Do you really think that they will help such low-level people?"

 

"If you have to, then yes! Listen to me well, I will say it one last time. Find them! That man along with his daughter, if my money is not with them or even if you find it incomplete, kill them. Clear?  

 I said, Am I clear?"

 

 "Yes, father." Matthew responds in a low voice, hiding his anger and resentment.

 

"And also what did you do about the man who moved in recently?"

 

 "I will go see him tomorrow."

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

 .

 

Cold breeze runs through Jennie's hair as she looks through the window of her room; stares into the void, breathes deeply many times, drowning in her thoughts. She moves away from the window and heads to her bed to lie down, troubled by what Min Yoo has said earlier.

 

Why would he mention such a thing in front of strangers he just met? Is he trying to lure them? It's not as if they would steal the safe if they knew about its existence and how would they steal it anyway?

 

Well, even if they did steal it, it wouldn't affect their wealth very much. She means..look at this mansion- oh what is She thinking?

This is exactly how someone who intends to steal thinks. 

 

She have to stop thinking now before the headache visits her head and since she feels a little hungry, maybe she will go and eat something. Now that Jisoo has allowed them to go outside the wing. 

 

. . . . . . . . 

 

 "Ma'am, your father is calling." The maid says standing at the office door and holding the phone. 

 

She must have forgotten it in the dining hall.

 

Jisoo sighs a little and then allows the maid to enter. The maid enters and Hands Jisoo the phone.

 

 "You can go now."

 

The maid bowes to her and goes out, closing the door behind her.

 

/ "Yes, Dad." She says after picking up the call, leaning back in her chair.

 

"Oh my little girl, how are you?  Is everything okay?"

 

 "I'm fine, nothing to worry about."

 

 [So?  Did you like the mansion?  I prepared it especially for you.] Her dad says with amused tone.

 

"Yes, I like it. Thank you, but..um, can you tell me why my portraits are hanging all around the mansion?" She says massaging her forehead, feeling exhausted after hours of work in her office.

 

 "What? You don't like it? I thought this would make you happy-"

 

"How is seeing my face everywhere will make me happy?"

 

 "Umm.. aah-"

 

 "Never mind, it doesn't matter." Jisoo was talking coldly to her father, not because she has hatred for him, nor because he sent her away, she's just fed up with his attempts to pretend that everything is fine.

 

They fall silent for a seconds then she departs. "Umm..did you know there's a secret passage in the back garden?" 

 

"A secret passage?"

 

"Yeah." 

 

"That's surprising. Well, this mansion is originally your grandfather's, I never really got the chance to visit it." Her dad explains. "I only sent people to take care of it and prepare it, so yeah..this's new for me. Why? Is there any problem?"

 

"No, no..I was just wondering." She says tiredly.

 

"Jisoo, you know why I sent you there, right?"

 

 "So there won't be any problems with my aunt." Jisoo answers quickly and briefly.

 

 "No! I sent you there to get you out from the stifling atmosphere of the city. I know how much you've been tired for the last while. As for your aunt, believe me..she doesn't hate you. I mean..she is your aunt in the end. She just needs more time]

 

Jisoo giggles weakly hearing that, her laugh filled with sarcasm.

 

 "A lot of years have passed already!" 

 

"Aah.." Sehun tries to find words to reply to his daughter but she is quick to cut him. "Dad, I feel tired and sleepy, if there's nothing else, I will go to sleep."

 

Sehun stays silent for a moment then he sighs and adds. "Okay sweetie, have a good night."

 

 "Good night dad." \

 

She hangs up and then she stands and walks towards the door of her office. 

 

. . . . . . . .

 

"Just now, I was back from Mrs. Jisoo's office.." one of the maid servants says.

 

Jennie who has just arrived to the kitchen, hears the maids talking with each other, making her stop before entering the kitchen.

 

"She had received a call from her father. I can tell how sad she is just from her reaction. I can't believe there is such a father, he sends his daughter away only because his family doesn't love her."

 

 "I know right? Poor girl, I mean, who would treat a girl like Jisoo this way? Even though she doesn't object to anything!" Says the other maid.

 

"From what I heard, even her brothers don't talk to her, what's wrong with this family? why is she the one paying for a mistake that her father did?"

 

"Hold up there, Is falling in love a sin now? Also, Jisoo's mother was very kind to us, even more kind than his wicked wife!"

 

"I know, I know.. but this doesn't change the fact that she was his mistress, which made everyone think that she's some kind of a e."

 

"Shhh..what are you saying? Someone will hear you! stop gossiping and let's go."

 

"Now, you're aware of yourself?"

 

Shocked by what she just heard, she retreats and walks fast from there before the servants can notice her, she reaches the second floor and encounters Jisoo as she comes out of her office. Jisoo furrows her eyebrows when she notices her heavy breathing and terrified facial expressions.

 

"Why do you look so terrified? Did something happen?"

 

 

 

—————————————

To be continued 

—————————————