CH [5]

Our Tomorrow

“Say, Ryeowook ah…About last night…”

“What about it?” Ryeowook asked back after a slurp of his favorite banana milk. It wasn’t a good choice of breakfast since they’re currently late. He picked whatever random thing he saw first on fridge. Yet as for the heavenly sweet taste for the morning, it wasn’t so bad either. After a minute of not getting a reply he look at his uncle who’s softly chewing his lower lip quietly while looking ahead at the not so in traffic road. “Uncle?”

“Ah, sorry, I keep on thinking…” Heechul paused then chuckled. Somehow Ryeowook saw a glint of sadness from those eyes. Was he seeing things? “It was too good to be true. It’s really been a long time since I last saw him. I couldn’t check on him every year or month since I lost Cho family contact. Knowing that he grew up well makes me feel relief. It’s such a surprise to know that he has a little princess now. What’s her name again?”

Ryeowook smiles as a picture of the little girl’s adorable smiling face appear on his mind, “Hanbyeol. Cho Hanbyeol.” All of a sudden Kyuhyun’s gentle smile comes to his mind. Looking down on his lap he then plays with his finger as distraction. “They look quite a like, don’t they?”

“I can see a splitting image of Kyuhyun in her. They’re father and daughter after all.”

“She may be really young but she speaks well. I’m sure you will like her a lot.”

“I think that’s a trait from her father. When Kyuhyun was a young kid her age he speaks really well too, compared to your brother who was a quiet kid inside out. They were quite an opposite. But that doesn’t stray them away from staying with each other.” Heechul stopped the car in front of the school gate. “We’re here. Don’t leave anything behind. Sorry I couldn’t make a lunch box for you today. Make sure to eat your lunch later at canteen. Don’t miss it.” He warns.

“I’ll try.” Ryeowook slings his bag on his right shoulder, heaving a soft laugh. “Wait…Let’s see about that. Today the council members will start preparing for the school festival so probably I’ll be home late.”

“Really? Alright. I’ll call whether or not I can fetch you.”

Ryeowook thanked for the ride. Before leaving the car he received a warm hug, a whisper of ‘take care’ and a peck on his forehead. Uncle Heechul loves him a lot and so does he. The man is the only family he has who he thought as a brother, mother and a father.

Humming as he walks his way towards the lobby out of blue he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turns around for the source only to find Jaejoong, hands rested on his back, smiling handsomely – he couldn’t deny that. The other starts to ruffle his hair messily making him groan. “Good morning gorgeous. You’re late. This is not like you.” Jaejoong said with a fake frown.

Ryeowook look to the sides in case someone sees them. When he sees no one he sighs in relief, “I guess I had a really good sleep.”

“I’m here early waiting for you so we could have morning our date at the school’s botanical garden.” Jaejoong sighs. “Too bad we miss our chance.”

“You know that won’t work.” Ryeowook said as he crossed his arms. “It opens at nine.”

“Somewhat…I have the access.” Jaejoong fished out a key from his pocket and winked. “In exchange to what we did to Mr. Jung for everyone.”

Ryeowook gasped. He tries to snatch the key but as Jaejoong lift it high he failed due to his height. He thought tip toeing would work but it didn’t, making him stand still pouting looking at the keys dangling above. The third year before him only laughs as if everything he sees right now is entertaining. They joke around for almost another five minutes until out of blue their biology teacher, Mr. Park Jungsoo appears and told them not to play around since the school already started and they head to their perspective classes, continuing the daily life as a high school student with others.

The teacher had arrived so Ryeowook didn’t get to greet others. And so the class continues as usual until the recess bell rings, he straightly pokes Hyukjae who turned his chair around now facing the flower boy. Donghae on the other side joins in by moving his chair to Ryeowook’s desk. “Yesterday’s episode was boring isn’t it? I didn’t finish it till the end.” He referred to the daily late night melodrama that aired daily.

Ryeowook sighs, resting his chin on his hand. “Things happened, so I only watch the last twenty minutes. It was pretty worth it though. Curious what might happen to Jaewook. Probably he’s going back to his ex-wife and daughter. It’s sad. I can see piles of guilt in his eyes. Just because he didn’t come from a well off family doesn’t mean he had to leave his family for a better life – I mean, look, who doesn’t want a better life? But not that way please.”

“Well friends, I decided I’m not going to watch further.” Hyukjae rolled his eyes, “What a cliché drama! I can already see what’s going to happen next from the preview.”

“Spill it.” Donghae and Ryeowook said in unison.

“It’s no doubt Hana will marry Joonsang. Her daughter needs a reliable and responsible father figure. Don’t you see how Hana is slowly considering his marriage offer? Jaewook can’t escape from his current life anymore, which means, he’s stuck. He’s going to regret what he did for the rest of his life.” Hyukjae spilled his theory confidently.

“What about that inhumane mother-in-law? When do you think she’s going to give up? She had the guts to steal her own son’s life and forced him to live out his dead brother’s life.” Donghae scoffed. “I seriously don’t get how human like her exist. At first she was a nice lady but you can’t really judge someone from the outside. Anyway, props to the screenwriter since he created her so well.”

“Come here.” Hyukjae gestured the two to come closer which they obediently did. “You two promise me. If I’m right, treat me strawberry milk tomorrow.”

“Cool!” Ryeowook agreed, “If not?”

“I’ll treat you guys yoghurt, how about that?”

“Deal.” Donghae snapped his finger, “So, what do you think will happen?”

“Car accident.” The answer surprisingly not only from Hyukjae but from Jongin, their class president, who suddenly barge into the conversation. “Oh? You think so too?” Hyukjae asked the taller.

Jongin clicked his tongue as he shook his head, surprised and impressed that even the school’s favorite trio are watching such old-school type of melodrama. “A cliché drama like that isn’t so hard to guess. At the end of the episode you see her in the car with her son. They were in a serious argument too. Also, it was raining hard there. Most melodrama is like that. There’s an eighty percent chance that a car accident will happen.”

“You’re right.” Hyukjae nods, “Then one of them will fell into coma…That is…”

“The mother?” Ryeowook gasped.

“Jaewook!” Jongin dropped the bomb.

“Hana will waver because deep inside she still care for Jaewook who was once part of her life.” Hyukjae smirked. “He’s her daughter’s father too, a fact that no one can change.”

“I see, I see.” Ryeowook nods, “Theory is acceptable.”

“Yah Jongin, you watch this drama too?” Donghae asked. He could feel a tinge of jealousy since Hyukjae and Jongin clicked so much in this.

“I was there when my sister watched it.” Jongin chuckled, “People these days are so into cliché melodrama. I can’t stand watching them – The DNA test, evil scheming and how they dramatizes almost everything. Ah, how many episodes are there?”

“It’s still on-going but I heard it’s a hundred and more.” Ryeowook said. He won’t deny how he slowly starting to get bored watching the series. Not to mention they’re still in episode sixty. In the end Jongin stayed with them until the break is over. The classes proceed normally again until lunch break. The trio heads to the school garden and eat their lunch there around the peaceful and quiet ambience. No rule existed rhyming that students aren’t allowed to eat there since the school provided table and chairs and they wonder why barely any students eat there.

“So Hyuk, are you coming for the stay over?” Ryeowook probed.

“You should come. We’ll spend the whole night with horror movie.” Donghae said nonchalantly. “I guarantee you, a marathon.”

“Sounds fun but I can’t. Sorry.” Hyukjae said, even though he wanted to come along. “My uncle is currently at home. He took a week off from his hospital schedule just for the sake of family gathering. Uh, so parents want me there.”

“Is he a doctor?” Ryeowook asked.

“A general surgeon at Seoul University Hospital.”

“That’s amazing.”

Donghae raised a hand, “Wait, isn’t that where Mr. Park used to work? He used to be a doctor but they took his license away due to malpractice?”

“Hae, let’s not bring that up.” Ryeowook sighs as he buries his head on his arms, “It’s just a groundless rumor. I won’t believe anything until I hear it from Mr. Park himself.” Even though those came from his lips, he won’t deny how his ears sometimes catch people discussing it. As to what kind of malpractice their biology teacher did some stated the man killed his patient while others speculate it might have something to do with breaking the hospital protocol.

“Wookie’s right.” Hyukjae nods, “I tried asking him whether he knew a colleague or someone by Park Jungsoo. He said there was no doctor with that name. I think those damn brats made that up because of how good he teaches biology.”

As the dismissal bell ring Hyukjae and Donghae reminds the student council members in his class to attend the final meeting in half an hour for the school festival that’ll be held next week. Hyukjae also didn’t forget to request the presence of each batch representative since they will have to present what they want to show at the special event.

Ryeowook and Jongin heads toward each hallway from the upper floor to lower to stick posters – specially designed by Donghae – of the school festival on walls.

“That’s it. The last one is sports field and the office.” Jongin said and hands one poster to the flower boy. “Wook, you take the office I’ll take the field, how’s that? I need to inform the archery club for their show.”

“Alright. Don’t forget the soccer club too.” Ryeowook said as he takes the item and make his way to the office. Unexpectedly on his way his eyes caught a glimpse of a small figure he met just yesterday night. Ryeowook raised his eyebrows. What is she doing here alone?? Instead going straight to where the office is, he approached the girl and kneels on her eye level.

“Oh? Ryeowook oppa!” Hanbyeol smiled as she greets him.

“Hanbyeol ah! We meet again!”

“What are you doing here oppa?”

Ryeowook chuckled. She was too adorable that he begin to carry her on his arms. “That should be my question. What is a kindergartener doing at a high school building?”

“I’m looking for my dad.” Hanbyeol said, resting her hands on his shoulders. “It’s because I want to go home together with dad. I don’t want to wait at school.”

“How did you get here?”

“I walked alone.”

“You…what?!”

“It’s not that far oppa.”

Ryeowook sighs. This can’t do. He needs to remind the child for good, “Hanbyeol ah, even if you don’t like to wait at school wouldn’t it be better if you wait there instead of walking your way alone here? For now let’s go to canteen. I’ll call your dad there.” With Hanbyeol in his arms he makes his way to the canteen. It’s not even an hour since the school dismissed so students are still there. He could feel the stares and small whispers directed at him but he care less about that. He place Hanbyeol to sit on the chair at canteen while he buys banana milk, fruit sandwich and chocolate ice cream for her. He’s glad he found Hanbyeol. What could possibly happen to her if he didn’t?

“Hanbyeol ah, here’s for you.” Ryeowook smiled as he gives the snacks.

“Woah, for me?” Hanbyeol beamed, “I love them! Thank you so much oppa! Daddy never let me have ice cream unless it’s weekend. I’m so happy right now because I get to eat ice cream!!”

“Are you that happy?”

“Yes, very happy!”

Ryeowook asked, chuckling at her adorableness. “I can buy it for you anytime you want. How about that, Hanbyeol ah? Cool?”

“Cool!”

He caressed her hair before fishing out his phone and call Kyuhyun. The man picked up after three beeps.

“Hyung? Can you come to the canteen?”

“What for?”

“Hanbyeol is with me now.”

“…”

“Hyung?” Ryeowook called again but the other line suddenly went off.

Hanbyeol puts down her sandwich, “Oppa, is daddy angry?”

“No. He’ll come.” Ryeowook said with a smile of assurance, “Let’s wait for him here.”

 

“So, before the preparation of our school festival starts, I’d like to inform everyone here to really work as a team. I don’t want to see any more of lazy sloth not knowing what to do like our Christmas event. I had enough of that.” Hyukjae explained sternly, not caring whether some of the members are his seniors since they’re at meeting room where everyone is treated equally. He points out to the board and told them their duties, gaining a nod from them and a discreet smirk from his fellow vice president. Well, I’m glad he gained some confidence.

“If you’re finished with it, do join others whether or not they need help. Be initiative.” Donghae said with his warmest smile. It somehow calm others heart as well as breaking the ice since what the president said somehow alerts them.

The day under the lovely yet mesmerizing blue sky will surely be a long one. He’s definitely looking forward for it.

“Everyone listen up! Don’t sweat it too much. Have fun and let’s do our best!”

“Yes!” Everyone in room said altogether in high spirit.

“By five we’d like everyone to gather here again. For the representative of each batch stay here and please prepare your presentation, we’ll start in ten minutes.” Donghae informed. Those who will do their duty one by one leave the room while those who will do the presentation stays seated in place before their laptop.

“Where’s Wookie?” Hyukjae suddenly asked. “Jongin was here but I don’t see Wookie anywhere…”

“Wait, let me call him.” Which Donghae tried to reach for Ryeowook but failed. “His line is busy.”

“Ah…I’ll go get him.” Hyukjae placed down the papers on the table and about to open the door when Donghae shook his head and hold his arm.

“No, you stay here. I’ll go.”

Hyukjae flashes a small smile. “Thanks Hae.”

 

“Hanbyeol ah!”

The girl shot her head up towards her dad before lunging at him. “Daddy!”

Kyuhyun embrace his daughter tightly as if he were to let her go he’d lose her forever. He cupped her cheeks, “I told you to wait at school didn’t I? Why weren’t you listening? Please don’t do this again, okay?’

“Alright dad, I will not do this again.” Hanbyeol said in guilt, “I’m sorry for making you worry. I just want to go home with you.”

“What’s important is that you’re here now.” Kyuhyun smiled at his daughter and stands, now facing at his student who had been staring at them with small smile. “Thanks. I don’t know what’d happen if you didn’t find her sooner. I never thought she’ll be here.”

“Y-yeah.” Ryeowook doesn’t know what else to say. Not because he’s irritated at the man. Because of what just happened, there is something that occupies his mind. Surely even after meeting Heechul, Kyuhyun never once mention a thing about his wife. No – actually he doesn’t need to mention it at all since it’s a family’s privacy but this thing about Hanbyeol having to wait until her dad finishes his work somewhat concerns him. She doesn’t have to go to the extent where she comes to Kyuhyun’s work place.

“Hanbyeol ah, I think your daddy is currently busy with his work so I’m afraid you will have to wait until he’s done. How about staying with me until he finishes his work, hmm?”

“You don’t have to. I heard the student council need to prepare for the next week school event.” Kyuhyun reasoned. “I saw everything at the lobby. You have a lot to prepare.”

“No, I’ll stay with her.” Ryeowook insisted as he remembered the thing that Hanbyeol said which touched his heart. The child knows her father is working his best for the family. She was willing to wait for him till night near his work place. With that Kyuhyun just gained another respect from him.

Ryeowook fished out his phone and called Hyukjae, telling the president he couldn’t participate on today’s duty because he has something urgent to do – obviously watching for Hanbyeol but no way could he say that to Hyukjae for now. He’ll be bombed with questions.

Ryeowook ends the call and smile at the two. “See? It’s cool now. Hyukjae left me off for the day.”

“Are you sure this is okay?” Kyuhyun asked with a slight frown.

Ryeowook assured as he now gently hold the little girl’s small hand. “Don’t worry. I’ll watch for her, hyung.”

“Daddy, it’s okay. I’ll stay with oppa until you finish your work so we can play and have a meal together! I can’t wait!”

Kyuhyun sighs. He doesn’t want to burden the boy but what could he say? He smiles as he lovingly caresses his only daughter’s hair. “Alright then, be a good girl and listen to him, okay? I’ll be back.”

Beyond their realization there stood Donghae not far from them. It was unintentional. He was walking through the corridor near the canteen when he spotted Ryeowook with a little girl. Thinking of approaching his best friend to call him back to council room he stopped in track as his eyes caught their homeroom teacher running towards them.

The interaction clearly tells everything.

Their homeroom is the man that Ryeowook had been searching and waiting for. Otherwise how come they seem so comfortable around each other? When Kyuhyun left, Donghae made his way towards the flower boy and tap on his shoulder.

“Shouldn’t you be at the council room by now?” Donghae asked, shortly glance at the little girl seated oppositely from Ryeowook.

“Oh…Hae.” Ryeowook surprised, he didn’t expect to see him here. “Hyukkie haven’t told you yet? I’m off for the day.”

“Why?” Donghae finally looks at the girl clearly, “Who is this?”

“She’s … Mr. Cho’s daughter.”

“What? Are you serious?!”

Ryeowook nods, smiling at Hanbyeol. “Say hi, this is my friend Donghae.”

Hanbyeol stands from the seat and introduce herself which Donghae followed after that. Ryeowook then tell his friend as to why he’s off duty for the day.

“I see…”

Somehow Donghae couldn’t remove his eyes at the girl again who’s adorably snacking on a fruit sandwich. Her presence gives Donghae a sense of familiarity that he could barely comprehend. One thing he could tell it was an unexpected comfort and longing. What is this feeling when he never even seen the girl before? Do children always give this warmth effect to the people around them? He darts between Ryeowook and Hanbyeol having a fun conversation in their world.

“Donghae oppa, are you in the same class as Ryeowook oppa?” Hanbyeol suddenly asked.

“Huh? Yeah, we’ve been in the same class since third year of middle school.” Donghae smiled softly.

“That’s cool.”

“Hanbyeol ah, how did you meet Ryeowook? This is the first time I see you around him.” It was Donghae turn to ask. Unexpectedly for him, Hanbyeol gave a long answer, more like a story telling from the first time she saw Ryeowook at the park saving kittens until the time when they crossed path again at the same park at night. He had yet to realize that time is passing and that he, like Ryeowook, is skipping duty as well. “That’s some story right there and you speak so well.” He amazed.

Hanbyeol politely thanked, melting the heart of two.

Donghae look at Ryeowook in curiosity, “So is it really Mr. Cho then? The guy you’ve been searching for?”

“Yeah, although he hasn’t admit it yet.” Ryeowook paused, “I just see him the way he talk with my uncle, that’s when I realize he’s the Kyuhyun hyung I know.”

“Is that so…” Donghae trailed as his mind flashes back to the first time he met Kyuhyun at hospital and to the time when he finally meet Kyuhyun again at this school.

Fate is a strange thing. Who would’ve thought Ryeowook knows Kyuhyun too? Never would he think he get to know something like that.

“I was so happy when I see him again. Sometimes I still couldn’t believe it. It was like a dream.” Ryeowook said with teary eyes, “He played a huge part in my brother’s life since they grew up together. He’s always been there during my brother’s hardest time. It’s too bad I can’t really remember how I was with them back then. But they did their best leaving some memories for me to see and I’m always thankful for that.”

“I see.” Donghae gently caresses Ryeowook’s fluffy hair, “I’m glad you finally found him.” Perhaps his friend is feeling the same as him, when he finally met Kyuhyun again. That kind brother figure he so longed to have since he’s the only child.

However, something poked his curiosity.

Something’s off.

Ryeowook had only mentioned Kyuhyun. What about Kyuhyun’s brother? Remembering when the time he sees how the two brothers conversed at the hospital’s parking lot, it could be that they didn’t get along with each other?

“What about his brother…?” Donghae subconsciously talked his mind out loud.

Ryeowook furrow his eyebrows. What an odd statement. “He’s the only child.” He may barely remember those times but a presence of Kyuhyun’s sibling? It’s too unfamiliar. “Hae, what do you mean?”

“Daddy had a sibling.” Hanbyeol said out of blue gaining their attention.

The two boys repeated in unison. Ryeowook clearly didn’t expect that but, as for Donghae it’s the answer he’d wanted to hear.

“My uncle passed away because his heart is in pain. Daddy told me he’s far, far away now, watching us from above in a better place.” Hanbyeol said, now looking down sadly.

The two high school buddies are speechless. They could only mutely stare at the little girl who isn’t all aware of their emotion. Ryeowook’s mind is having branches of questions regarding their homeroom teacher while his friend thought it must be hard for the man to cope with the loss of his twin. They distract themselves by volunteering a new topic to discuss, yet even though their gesture and lips are doing the job, their mind is somewhere else.

Ticking of time goes on. In the end they really skipped their entire duty for the day.

Kyuhyun came back to fetch Hanbyeol from his students not long after the sky turns orange. He was surprised to see Donghae being all together with the two. He thanked them and pardon for the inconvenience.

The two best friends walk back to the council room to take their bags. Upon there Hyukjae is nowhere to be seen. They tried calling yet only to be connected to a voice mail. Giving it the rest for the day, locking the room they walked out of the school building. However to their surprise, from afar where they stood they could see Hyukjae facing down as he seemingly listening to the talks of the tall man before him.

“Who is that?” Ryeowook puzzled.

Donghae is questioning the same in his mind. Growing up with Hyukjae he knew the people around him since he often went to his house. But after the breakup he never visits anymore.

They quietly approach Hyukjae. The man’s cold eyes meet theirs. Ryeowook swiftly break the contact, giving his friend’s shoulder a tap. Hyukjae abruptly turns around as if they surprised him out of nowhere.

“Hyuk! We thought you weren’t here anymore –“ Ryeowook said yet immediately cuts by Donghae who is still looking at the mid-twenty-looking stranger.

“Why are you still here? Do you know this guy?”

Hyukjae blinks rapidly then paints a gummy smile. “Oh…Y-yeah.”

“Your friends?” The man asked casually, secretly pulling Hyukjae close to him which wasn’t missed by the two.

“Yes.” Hyukjae answered with a nervous smile.

“Hyuk, you sure you know this guy?” This time Donghae’s voice is loud and sharp, earning a smirk from the man he never seen before. After not getting an answer from his ex-lover he hastily grabs the man’s collar and land a fist on that undeniably handsome face.

“Oh my–” Ryeowook covers his mouth as he gasped while Hyukjae pulls Donghae away from giving another fist.

“Who are you? What are you trying to do to him?!”

“Stop it Hae! I know him!” Hyukjae yelled. Gently he releases the hold on Donghae’s arm. “He’s my…”

The man wipes the blood on the lower corner of his lip with his finger.

“I’m Hyukjae’s boyfriend.”