0.2

Our Tomorrow

Donghae sigh in exhaustion as he walked out from the room and caressed his own chest to reassure himself that everything’s going to be okay and that he did a good job maintaining his composure. He thanked the nurse for the company and called his parents immediately, quickly telling them that he had finished talking to the doctor and that he have to start the dialysis session this afternoon.

“Uh yeah, everything’s okay… You will be here this evening? ...I’ll wait. Okay. Bye.”

He hung up on the call and go wherever his feet bring him. His figure may be there but his mind was somewhere else, probably farther than everyone would expect. He fished out his phone from his pocket again and goes through the contact list. He stopped at a name that had always made his heart flutter back then but now only to feel guilty.

Now it’s not time for that.

After putting his phone back he sighed and looked at the sideways. So this is where his feet take him, huh? The hospital garden is quite a beauty, supported by the outdoor facility where you can see the clear blue sky and breathe the fresh air. There are several of plants that one can look at and also a small water fountain.

He then takes a sit on the white bench.

“The look on your face reminds me so much of my brother.”

Donghae turned to the side at the voice to see a tall handsome male in black leather jacket and jeans standing next him, not to mention there’s a lollipop in his mouth. He looked like one of those guys who ride cool motorcycles. Is he talking to him or…?

The male took out the lollipop from his mouth and point at the other with it, “Yes, you.”

“Excuse me?” Donghae raised an eyebrow, unexpectedly making the other male chuckle. “What’s funny?”

“Mind if I sit next to you?”

“Uh… Sure.”

“Nothing’s funny.” He sits, “Well I was meant to say, who else I am talking to? There’s no one here besides us in this spot.” The male admitted as he fished out another candy pop and offered it to the other, “I just had to say it. Want one?”

“Oh…” Donghae trailed off, not having a slight interest in talking to him. “I can’t eat that.”

“Why? Are you ill?”

Can’t you see I’m wearing patient clothes? Donghae rolled his eyes. I bet kids are better observant.

“You look quite pale.” The male closely observed the other from head to toe. “Could you be a heart defect? Cancer patient or –?”

Donghae sighed. Those were wild guesses. “It’s kidney failure. I’m going to have another dialysis appointment in an hour.”

“I see. Sorry to hear that. I hope you will find a donor soon.” The male smiled apologetically, “I’m Cho Kyuhyun, a high school teacher.”

Donghae blinked. That’s a far age difference there. It was unexpected since the other male look like a college student instead of a teacher. “Lee Donghae, middle school, third year.”

“Where are you heading next?”

“South High.”

Donghae glance at the school teacher. Is this some kind of an interview?

“Nice preference.” Kyuhyun hummed, “Ah, good old days. I’m an alumnus of that place. Not only it has a good reputation but its environment is worth for every students. They will help you lots to reach for your dream university. You paint don’t you?”

“H-How do you know?” Donghae still managed to ask calmly despite stuttering at first. He’d like to take back his words since the more he’s talking to him, the more he learn that guy is pretty an observant.

“There’s some blue paint left on your neck and nails.”

Indeed, he’s pretty clumsy when it comes to paint cleaning. He subconsciously clicks his nails with one another and scratched the back of his neck in distraction. They proceed talking about South High. Somehow he felt slightly better than when the he made his steps into the hospital. Perhaps, at blue day like this it wasn’t so bad to have someone to talk to.

“Shouldn’t a teacher be at school marking the papers and teaching students?” Donghae asked as he looked at the teacher. “Why are you here instead?”

“I’m on break for my brother.” Kyuhyun said with an apparent sad smile. “Well…He’s… a heart defect. He was appointed here just a day ago. The doctor said he doesn’t have much time left. We need to find a heart donor soon.” Donghae held his breath, is that why the male’s first guess was that? “I have to watch over him since our parents are currently overseas.”

“I see.” A rush of guilt begins to run in his blood. “I wish the best for your brother.”

“Thank you. I’ll cheer you from behind.” Kyuhyun smiled. He extends his hand for a fist.

Donghae finally heaves a sincere smile as he replied the fist, “That’s something to say from a stranger. I want to live for as long as possible and go through whatever challenges ahead. The thought of dying still scares me. That’s because I still have many things I want to achieve and those regrets that I want to leave behind forever. I …don’t want to leave with regrets. That sounds miserable enough. I don’t think I can take it.”

“I see…You want to live huh?” Kyuhyun murmured to the clear sky above. Donghae was too preoccupied with the thought of living that he wasn’t aware of what those words really mean.

“Yeah.”

Kyuhyun stood from his seat, wiping the invisible dust from his jeans, “I like your spirit.” He checked his watch and looked at the boy who’s still seated on the bench, legs moving back and forth playfully. “I think it’s time for your appointment?”

“Oh…It’s been an hour already?” Donghae immediately rise from the seat. Just before he bid his goodbye a familiar nurse approached him and called his name. She said she’s been searching for him everywhere but wasn’t able to find him on time. Donghae apologized for the nuisance, smiling apologetically at her before turning to the male he just met. “I need to go now.”

“Take care.” Kyuhyun said with a wave, “I’ll visit you when I can.”

Just like that the two strangers make their ways separately. On the way to the room Donghae wondered how old Kyuhyun’s brother is. Could he be the same age as me? That brother of him must be so lucky to have a brother like him. That guy is pretty nice.

As the only child he felt lonely sometimes. But either way he shouldn’t complain. Ah, that’s right. Why didn’t we exchange contact? He has a friend he just made not so long ago after the new semester starts. Never mind, I can ask him later. Not to mention that new friend incidentally helped him get along with Hyukjae again, not long after the fight that broke their relationship. It was all just a misunderstanding. How should I make myself explain when he’s closing me away? He sighed.

With Ryeowook’s presence, they could pretend there was nothing between them however when there’s only the two of them, they could hardly stare at each other eyes, let alone standing at a close distance.

His pocket vibrates, indicating the second phone call for the day. This time he looked at the caller. On the screen was written

The savior Kim Ryeowook.

He smiles at the name. What did he think when he named his friend that? He picked the call only to be greeted by a high pitched voice, making him pull his phone away from his ears. What happened now?

“Lee Donghae where are you?!” Ryeowook asked behind the call.

“I’m at…” Donghae looked around as he thought of an excuse. His friends don’t know he’s been suffering from kidney failure. He doesn’t have a reason to tell them either. “Mokpo.”

“Mokpo? What are you doing there?”

“Fishing.”

He never liked fishing.

“That’s so far away. You’re there just to fish?”

“Uh, yeah. They have better catch here.” Donghae continued the so called white lie, “So what’s up?”

“I’m with Hyukjae now. He’s bullying me by making me watch horror movie. Ah –“ Ryeowook whined, “At first he said we could watch a copy of my favorite musical, Werther, but he tricked me! I shouldn’t have fallen for that!” Behind he could hear Hyukjae laughing as if it’s the best time of the day. “Save me. When are you returning?”

Donghae knew how much Hyukjae loves horror movie. He smiles as he recalled watching marathons of it with him. “I’ll be back in… three days.”

“Is something wrong?”

Donghae stopped his track before the room where he’ll be getting his dialysis soon. “Nothing’s wrong. Why?”

“Oh…Alright. You’ve been taking days off lately. You sure nothing’s wrong?”

“Yeah. Wookie, I need to go now. I’ll call you later. Have fun with Hyuk.” As soon as he said that he hung up the call and proceeds to his treatment.

He waited, always. Once again in a countless times his parents didn’t keep their words. They didn’t come that evening. Donghae was used to it. Still, hope is still there. However, a stranger he barely knew so well kept his word and visited him that night. He thought he shouldn’t hope for him to come since he’s stranger but that was unexpected. He didn’t hope for it but Kyuhyun came. When he thought the one opening the door would either be nurse, doctor or his parents, as soon as he saw Kyuhyun figure closing the door behind he heaves a short breathy laugh.

Someone is here with him now. That’s surprisingly felt nice.

“Hello.” Kyuhyun greeted with a friendly smile as he sat on the chair beside Donghae’s bed. “How are you feeling?”

“You sound like doctor.” Donghae said, making Kyuhyun chuckle. “I’m good… I guess?”

“Good to hear that. I said I’d visit you, didn’t I? Not bragging but I’m someone who keep his words.” Kyuhyun smirked. “Well actually… today my brother insisted on discharging from this place. He hates hospital. So we’re leaving tonight. The doctor is currently with him so I thought to come here while I wait for him to finish.”

“I see. Thanks for the spare of your time for some stranger.” Donghae smiled.

“Yah, are we still strangers? We know our names!” Kyuhyun complained.

“So are we friends then?” Donghae asked with one eyebrow raised.

“If not then what are we?”

“Our age – I mean… Well…”

“Does it matter?” Kyuhyun asked in disbelieve.

Oh how much Donghae would like to laugh but he’s currently in weak state so he’s holding the urge to. The man is obviously older than him but the way he’s grumpy like that made him look like the young one instead.

“So, any news of heart donor for your brother?”

“Not yet. How about you? Any matching donor?”

Donghae shook his head, “I will wait. Even if it takes almost forever, I know that sounds impossible but I believe only time will tell. At the same time it’s also about miracle and luck.” He said as he played with his nails. Somehow his hands are itchy to paint how that made him feels. Perhaps, shades of Persian blue and mustard yellow on a blank canvas would do any good.

On other side, Kyuhyun gives a small smile. “Give me your phone.” Donghae did as he told. Kyuhyun begin typing something on the screen and return it right away. To his surprise, Kyuhyun’s phone rings.

“That’s my number. Save it.” Kyuhyun said as he shows his phone screen, indicating he got Donghae’s phone number as well. “I’ll help you finding a matching donor.”

What?

“Thank you but you don’t have to do that.”

“But I’d like to.” Kyuhyun simply said. Donghae’s silence gives him the chance to continue what he’s wanted to say. “I like how determined you are to stay alive. You’re young and you still have a lot to go. Your answer at the garden today makes me want to give you a hand as well. You said you don’t want to leave with any regret…That was really something from a boy your age. Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s as if you don’t want to run away from it. Even though I don’t know you well and we were strangers just a while ago…But do that matter? I don’t see that as a reason why I can’t help you.”

Donghae was too speechless. He was touched those words that he could feel his eyes warm. Before any tear fall he looks down. “Mister –”

“Ah! Not that please!” Kyuhyun yelped then sighs, covering half of his face in embarrassment. “Hyung or Kyuhyun-ssi is fine but not mister or worse, old man. I’m not that old yet!”

Donghae smiled, “Don’t worry, you don’t look old either. I just don’t know what to call you.” He tilted his head, wondering what he should call him. Once settled he nods, “I’ll use ‘hyung’ then.”

They talked for a bit longer until Kyuhyun excuse himself since he suddenly got a phone call. “Oh… I’m with a friend… I’ll be downstairs soon…” He then hung up the call. But from how he looks, it’s as if the one who hung up was the other person behind the line. “Sorry, I need to go now. I’ll see you next time?”

“Oh…that’s okay. It was fun talking to you, hyung.” Donghae said and both bid their goodbyes.

Right after that day, he never sees the brother figure again.

Barely a single phone call from Kyuhyun ever reached him. Only once on that time when he had a stay over at Ryeowook’s house together with Hyukjae. Kyuhyun asked how he was doing and how his treatment went by while he asked about his brother’s being. They may not know each other for a long time however just by the way they comfortably talk, like brothers, people could probably see they’re a longtime friends. The simple call ended when suddenly he heard Ryeowook yawning beside him.

“Why aren’t you asleep yet, Hae? Who were you talking to?” Ryeowook asked groggily as he approached his friend who stood by the window. He rubs his eye. “Your lover?

“It’s not my lover.” Donghae breathes a smile as he gently caressed Ryeowook’s hair. Obviously, how could he date someone else when he’s still head over heels for Hyukjae? But Ryeowook doesn’t know anything so he won’t ever blame him for that. “He’s a friend.”

“Oh…Tell me about him.” Ryeowook said as he sat down on the couch.

“Go back to sleep.” Donghae said as a distraction. Now that Ryeowook mentioned… What do I know about him?

“No, let’s talk until you’re sleepy.” Ryeowook insisted, “So tell me about that friend.”

“I met him during my stay in Mokpo, about two weeks ago.” Donghae explained, “He talked to me first until I thought … He’s a little bit annoying. But somehow in the end we get along well. He’s what I can say…A kind brother figure. We become friends and exchanged contact. That’s it.”

Ryeowook yawned again, “Brother? He must be older than you then.”

“He’s…” Donghae suddenly recalled when Kyuhyun complained telling him he’s not that old yet. “Not that old.”

“Exactly, how old?”

“Twenty-seven.” Donghae hesitantly answered.

At first, from the bedroom to where he’s seated now, Ryeowook barely could open his eyes since he’s still drowsy. However thanks to Donghae’s answer he’s now all awake. “What?!” He said out loud in disbelieve, “T-Twenty seven?! Your age difference...” He begin counting with his fingers, “Thirteen years apart?! Yah, are you sure he’s …not… any bad guy?”

Donghae shook his head in assurance. “No. He’s a high school teacher. Also, he’s with his brother there but I didn’t get to meet him.”

Every three times a week, Donghae applied for an early excuse from school for his dialysis appointment. Obviously his condition is known by every of the teachers but excluding his classmates especially his two best friends. He doesn’t see any necessary telling them. But it was more like he doesn’t want to worry them.

Particularly his beloved one, Lee Hyukjae.

Under the heavenly blue sky, with his bag sling on his right arm and another bag of unfinished painting and its supplies he casually made his way to the hospital building while thinking of Hyukjae however halted his steps for a second as his eyes spotted Kyuhyun standing before a man in grey suit near the parking place. They seemed to be in a serious conversation that he doesn’t have the heart to greet Kyuhyun from afar but just walk closer as he watch them converse. Yet, he doesn’t know it was calm before storm. The man in grey suit suddenly snapped at Kyuhyun, making Donghae stopped his track for the second time and taken aback by the words that reached his ears.

“Drop the nice brother act! It’s disgusting!”

Donghae may not know what they were conversing but isn’t that quite a harsh thing to say, especially to someone as nice as Kyuhyun? He wasn’t able to lip read what Kyuhyun said after that. But it seemed like a whisper of the other’s name.

“Will you even die for me?”

Donghae frowned at those words, slightly looking at the unknown man in disbelieve.

What in the world?

The man Donghae wasn’t able to see the face yet then leave for the building, leaving Kyuhyun standing alone in that same spot. He wasn’t sure whether to approach and coax his new friend since he doesn’t know what the deal between them is. Donghae just stood there once again looking at the man who sighed dejectedly, face now looking at the beautiful ocean of clouds above so deeply as if it’s only the two of them in this world.

Even on such a fine-beautiful day something like that can happen.

The play of life itself is unpredictable.

“Hae, you look pale. Are you okay?” Ryeowook concerned after he sipped his canned peach drink. He could only smile a little since what his petite friend said was right, plus he isn’t feeling too well for the day. As each days passed he felt like his condition worsen. I guess there’s not much time left for me either huh…From the corner of his eyes he could see Hyukjae staring at him. Could it be that he’s concerned of him too? Donghae mentally brush those hopeful thoughts away. As if!

“Uh yeah, been sleeping late.” Donghae reasoned.

“Painting again?” Hyukjae said not looking at his ex-lover but on the food instead.

“Oh?” Ryeowook raised his eyebrows at his two friends, “How you know that, Hyuk?”

Hyukjae paused for a moment before heaving an awkward smile at Ryeowook, “Last time Donghae said he like painting when he couldn’t sleep or have a lot in his mind. You don’t remember?” He then spares Donghae an uninterested look, “What’s been troubling you, I wonder? Had a fight with your love one?”

Donghae sighs as he’s sending a not-this-again look at Hyukjae.

“Huh, you have a lover, Hae?” Ryeowook immediately placed his drink back on the table.

“I don’t.” Donghae simply said, eyes glued at Hyukjae’s beautiful and alluring amber ones. But I used to.

“Really? Someone as handsome as Lee Donghae doesn’t have one?” Hyukjae smirked in discreet.

“So this is Lee Hyukjae.” The straight hair girl stared at the picture with sparkling eyes. “I can see why you have something for him. He’s one beauty. You talk about him every time we meet. It’s no doubt you really love him. He’s so lucky to have you, a good and caring boyfriend. Ah! I wish I have a lover. But what good does it do having me as someone’s girlfriend? I’m sick. I won’t be able to make my love one happy.”

“Hey, don’t say that.” Donghae coaxed, “We don’t know what’s ahead.”

“I’m just speaking based on the reality but…You’re right. Whatever will happen I just have to look ahead, right? I’ll keep it up and see if I can survive this.” The girl said sincerely with a smile. She was like a ray of sunshine. “Now, once I get better, I’d like to meet your Hyukjae! He seems like the type of friend who has so many stories to tell! I can’t wait!”

All of the time they have spent for almost half of their life together was forgotten in just a few days. Because of that misunderstanding he must’ve hate me a lot, he sighed as he look away wanting to take any bait from Hyukjae no more. As to when he could clear everything with him, a thing that he wanted so bad, he would have to rely that on time.

He’s a human; he won’t deny how exhausting it is.

“I wonder where you get the idea. Never say I have one. I don’t know how you can come up with that. But you know what? If I really need a lover I can just get one. You’re the type of person that I’m willing to date, Hyuk. So just tell me when you’d like to date me anytime, I’m single and free.” Donghae fired back, gaining a speechless-face from Hyukjae but a sudden laugh from Ryeowook. The things he said may sound like a joke but he meant that seriously. Clicking his tongue he ought to keep up the act. Hyukjae should see that well. “Gotcha. I’m just kidding.”

“Aish, you think I believe that?!” Hyukjae flicked Donghae’s forehead. “You’re making me sound like I’m desperate to date!”

“Yah,” Donghae winced in pain. “You started it!”

“Nice one Hae! I almost believe that!” Ryeowook laughed his heart out.

He can’t give up now.

“S-say that one more time? T-transplant?”

Donghae pleaded to the call, his hands trembling holding the phone close to his ear. Before the morning class started his phone suddenly rang. He headed out from the class and answered the phone. The woman behind the call, his mother, informed him that there’s a kidney transplant available for him. The test also indicates they’re a match. Donghae still couldn’t believe what he just heard.

“Surgery? Tomorrow?”

Miracle is there, for him, and his family as well. His lips formed a smile as he heard his mother’s content voice. A comforting melody he hasn’t heard over the past years of being ill. After thanking his mother for the good news the tears he’s been holding trail down his cheeks. All the fear and negative what ifs completely evaporate from his mind and now replaced with positivity.

Oh, right! Donghae blinked in realization and tried calling Kyuhyun. Pick up, pick up, pick up…To which after three tries still to no avail. He sighed in disappointment. He’d really like to share this good news with him. Since Kyuhyun’s line is currently busy he decided to send the man a voicemail.

The excitement is building up. Soon he’s going to live with no wary and he’s looking forward for it.

 

The surgery passed by with a great success.

Donghae didn’t fully regain his consciousness that night but the next morning. For him who had been unconscious for hours it somehow only felt like he slept for minutes. The first person he saw is his parents which he greets them with a small smile. His mother cried in his father’s arm. They are glad he survived. They are also thankful for that person’s transplant and the surgeons’ hard work. Because of them their son made it. No more pain, that’s what matters.

Another five days passed. He felt quite better by then. Hyukjae and Ryeowook showered him with lots of questions through the phone call. It was cute of them that he kept on smiling that day. Even the nurse was flabbergasted by him. Wait; was it because of his good looking? He chuckled at the thought.

“I’d like to meet and… thank that person.... Can I?”

“Oh I knew you’d say that, son.” His father told him with a sigh, “We requested that but unfortunately they refused.”

“I see.” It wasn’t hard for Donghae to accept that even though he really wants to meet that person and thank them in person. “I will write them a letter. Will you pass it for me?”

“Anything for you, my son.” His mother who was peeling apples, stood then gives him a warm embrace. With closed eyes Donghae gladly replies it. He felt like he could stay like that for hours until he fell asleep again however later they told him they need to go back to work. Unlike usual where he would stay quiet and ignore them leaving on their own – this time Donghae cope with it in full understanding. He agreed and told them they should head back to work now unless they want to see piles of unfinished work.

Mrs. Lee gave him a peck on cheek, a loving gesture he hadn’t received from her in a while. Donghae felt contented that he can just walk straight out of this medicine scented building. After a small few talks regarding his discharge date, his parents leave the room, leaving him only with his father’s secretary who he recognized only by name – Hangeng.

“Is it really fine for you to be here?” Donghae asked with apologetic smile. He knew the man is supposed to be working by his father’s side right now. “I can manage alone.”

“Your father assigned me here. I know you’re a very independent child –“

“Oh, father said that about me?” Donghae raised his eyebrows. He is quite amused right now. He never knew his father may spoke a word or two about him at work. “Tell me, what else did he say?”

"That you’re smart in academics and he’s proud of it, especially your talent in painting.” Hangeng smiled.

“Really?!” Donghae exclaimed excitedly like a child about to get his treats. But oddly in a second his expression changed, as if he doubts something. “But I wonder why he never compliments me face to face?” He murmured inaudibly to himself, looking away and words missed by the secretary.

“I can assure you that I’m okay being here. At times like this you may need a hand…” Hangeng paused as if thinking what to say more and Donghae is fast enough to catch what the problem is.

“Just Donghae is okay. I very much prefer if you set aside the formalities.”

Silence momentarily fills the room.

“Now, is there anything that you need?” Hangeng breaks the silence.

Donghae bit his lower lips as he give a thought of the offer. His lips are apart as he suddenly remembers the first thing he wants just a few hours after he truly regain consciousness. “I want…Uh…”

Hangeng holds the urge to chuckle after hearing what the boy wanted. Donghae only smiles awkwardly at the man while gently scratching the back of his non itchy neck. It took Hangeng about ten minutes more or less to return, bringing a plastic bag of sweets consisting mostly fruity lollipops, gummies and chocolate bars with various fills. It was no doubt that Donghae felt a tinge of peculiarity as he look into the bag, mouthwatering in anticipation to eat them all at once. He wondered what snapped his mind of wanting sweets when he doesn’t have a sweet tooth – But yes, they’re the craving that he thought he’d never feel.

“Thank you. I’ll enjoy this.” Donghae lands his feet to the cold floor and with plastic bag of sweets in his hand he make his steps towards the door. “Ah – fresh air, be back later.”

He eats the chocolate bar filled with caramel on his way to wherever his feet bring him. The taste is surprisingly good that he wondered why he wasn’t fond of them back then. He just loves how it melts in his mouth plus that sweet wonderful spice of creamy caramel. He won’t forget to thank Hangeng later for choosing the tasty ones.

Donghae suddenly remembers when Hyukjae gave him chocolate for their first valentine. The next day Hyukjae asked whether he had ate whole of it however Donghae had no choice but to give the latter a honey white lie because rather than finishing he placed it in his drawer – He promised himself he’d never throw it away.

Anything from Hyukjae is precious – He smiles to himself.

Now seated on the lone brown bench at the hospital park, he’s viewed with few different looking people. Some with white coat who look like hospital residents, some with patient clothing having smile on their faces as they chat with their family member while some otherwise. Looking at the view this crossed his mind,

How did he look before he got this gift?

Sad or just, nothing out of ordinary?

Two months later he continues his school as a healthy student. He will no longer have to excuse for an early leave every three times a week. The teachers are glad to hear the surgery went well; even some had given him notes and homemade cookies which was quite sweet that it touched his heart. They loved him like a brother and son. He is one of the school’s treasures after all, their diligent and kind-hearted student.

“Hae~ what’s with those cookies and letters? What happened? It’s like they’re congratulating you for something. You were gone too for two months and you don’t want to tell us why…” Ryeowook who had his arm on Donghae’s shoulder spoke his curiosity. “Right, Hyuk?” No answer. Donghae spare a glance at Hyukjae only to see him a little bit spaced out.

“Sorry, it’s a personal family matter guys.” Donghae grinned.

“Oops, uncle Heechul is here. I have to go guys, see you tomorrow!” Ryeowook exclaimed and embrace his best friends before dashing towards the black car.

Now there are only two of them.

Donghae felt nervous and without his awareness, as well as the other.

“Hyukjae.” Donghae called, making the other snap his head at him. Their eyes meet. This is the first time after the break up that they could stare at each other like this for quite a decent amount of time and distance. Those beautiful amber eyes that used to look at him so lovingly and lips that smiled at him so brightly,

Now sleeps within the back of his mind.

“What?” Hyukjae averts his eyes from the other to the school hall instead.

“Didn’t hear what Wookie said?” Donghae asked with a smile as he brushes Hyukjae’s locks gently. He used to do that often back then, a gesture of affection that Hyukae loved so much. “Your mind is somewhere else. What are you thinking about?”

Hyukjae sighs, pushing that hand away, “None of your business.”

“It’s mine.” Donghae blurted without hesitation. Hearing that Hyukjae slightly widen his eyes, taken aback by such honesty. Even Donghae himself was surprised at how he could say that so easily. “Whatever’s troubling you, it’s mine.”

“Keep your boundaries.”

It’s frustrating.

“Hyuk –“

Why does it have to be like this?

“Drop it. Ryeowook is not here anymore.”

“Let’s talk. About us. Give me the chance to explain everything.”

It’s pitiful.

“There’s no us.” Hyukjae shook his head, sighing as he walks away. Once he felt Donghae’s hand gripping his arm he pushed him away. “Don’t touch me! I don’t want to hear them. What’s the point when I already saw everything?”

Back then… It was great.

A year goes by. The trio successfully enrolled in the same high school, South High. The new chapter was hard, but they managed to go through the struggle and be acknowledged by almost everyone. In their first year they gained popularity and became a star student favored especially by the teachers. Hyukjae was chosen by the former president of South High student council to fill for his place while having Donghae to work as the vice president and Ryeowook as the organization’s secretary.

There’s barely a thing changed between them. What’s only transparent is how they come to learn to act comfortably around each other even when Ryeowook isn’t with them. They decided it’s best to try being mature coping with what had happen between them and it’s best to remain friends. Of course, within that commitment his feelings for Hyukjae didn’t falter at all. It’ll remain the same and it won’t ever change.

“What should we do? Ryeowook is still at student council room.” Hyukjae whispered. “I didn’t know the principal would be here.”

“As if I knew….” Donghae whispered back. “Don’t worry, he’s gonna be fine.” He just went back from the canteen together with Hyukjae when they saw the principal standing near their classroom and usher everyone to go in saying he had something to announce. Now that everyone is already seated in place, they still don’t have a hunch what’s with the principal’s sudden presence.

As minutes passed their gaze immediately falls upon the unfamiliar figure that entered the classroom.

However to their unknown, that new figure for them is never unfamiliar for Donghae.

Isn’t that Kyuhyun hyung? He squint his eyes as he tried taking a closer look, not grasping every bits of what the principal is saying. His main focus is now on the tall figure he hasn’t seen nor talked to for almost a year and a half. It’s really him… I can’t be mistaken, could I? Surely there’s no way he could be mistaken since Kyuhyun once told him that he’s a high school teacher.

“Hello my name is Cho Kyuhyun. Starting from today I’m your homeroom teacher. I’ll also be teaching Math. It’s nice to meet you all. Do tell if you have any questions. I’ll do my best to answer them.” Donghae smiled at the introduction. Even though he felt sad Mr. Lee left, he’s glad that it’s someone he knows who takes that place. Once his gaze met the man’s, he then gives a small wave at him and soft smile but somehow the other didn’t budge at the greeting. Ah well, I’ll just greet him later after meeting.

“Oh, Donghae ah? What are you doing?” Mr. Park who saw Donghae leaning against the wall beside the teacher’s office asked.

“Uh…Is…Mr. Cho there?” Donghae asked hesitantly. He felt nervous at the same time excited to talk to that brother figure again. “I have something to talk to him about. It’s important. Is he busy? If yes then maybe I could –”

“Wait.” Mr. Park peeked inside for the man mentioned, “I don’t think so. I just gave him your batch math curriculum for this year. I think he’s reading it now. Want me to call him?”

“Yes please.”

His eyes sticks to the ground as he waited for Kyuhyun to come out, until his eyes catch a glimpse of different shoes before him. He looked up at the owner and a smile immediately paints his lips, then sighs in relieve. “I found you finally, Kyuhyun hyung. I always tried contacting you but you never picked my calls. It’s good to see you again!”

With all that’s said the man only raised an eyebrow, an unexpected reaction for Donghae.

He was confused at first but then he laughs it off, “Yah hyung, don’t tell me you forgot about me already? Are you joking? It’s me Lee Donghae! We met at a hospital about a year ago on the day of my dialysis treatment.”

It took a while for Kyuhyun to answer, “Seoul… University hospital, right?”

“Yes!” Donghae exclaimed excitedly that anyone could even see the sparkle on his eyes. “I miss you so much hyung! Why don’t you ever answer my calls? I really thought you forgot about me…”

“Sorry, I had a lot of stuff to do and I lost my phone so I bought a new one. It’s been a while. Have you been well?” Kyuhyun brush the edge of his eyebrows with his fifth finger.

“I’m good. How about you hyung? Ah I have so much to tell you but good news is I finally found a donor! I’m healthy now!”

“Oh...Really?" Kyhyun smiled, "Glad... to hear that.”

“Let’s exchange number again?”

The homeroom teacher wordlessly did as he was told; sparing a glance towards his student whose smile hasn’t left his face. “Call me if you need anything. It’s late. You should go home now, Donghae. Take care on your way. I’ll see you in class again tomorrow.”

Donghae smiled as he bid his goodbye to his new homeroom teacher before going back to the council room where his two best friends are waiting. Hyukjae and Ryeowook asked where he went when he suddenly lunges at them, wrapping his arms around their neck while smiling so excitedly, unknowingly bidding their curiosity.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hyukjae asked, giving Donghae the usual are-you-out-of-your-mind look.

“Isn’t it obvious? Something good must’ve happened.” Ryeowook embrace the other back despite not knowing what made the boy so happy. "Right?"

Indeed today was one of the best days ever.

“Let’s have pizza, my treat!”