0.0

Our Tomorrow

 

“Kyuhyun.”

“…”

“Kyuhyun ah…Wake up… You’ll be late for school.”

“…”

“Cho Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun slowly opened his eyes by the tingling sensation on his ears and the voice that whispered his name. He caressed his ears and closes his eyes again to continue his sleep, when he didn’t expect warm hands wrapped around his body and forcefully sat him straight, now he absurdly portraits a sitting mummy statue. He knew who exactly behind that soft husky voice. Without opening his eyes he pinned the figure behind to the bed only to receive a small wind blown on his soft bangs that made him to open his eyes instantly.

“Shut up…Give me five more minutes.” Kyuhyun said or did he just whined? He looked desperately sleepy and the figure below his crown chuckled harmoniously. “Please. I just slept for two hours. I could catch up to school later. You go ahead.”

“That’s not good. We have lots to do today. Come on. We’ll be late for school, Kyu.” The other patted his cheeks and traced the visible eye bags. “You shouldn’t have played Starcraft all night long.”

“How and when did you get here? I thought I locked the door…” Kyuhyun rubbed his eyes while the other take chance to take turn pinning Kyuhyun down. “Aish…Yesung ah, please let me sleep for another five minutes…No, ten minutes! Ten!!”

“No.” Yesung checks his watch, “Its twenty minutes before the school bell rings and are you negotiating right now? Don’t make me start Kyu.”

“Oh don’t make me start too. I’m going to scream if you don’t move…” Kyuhyun can’t even move his arms from Yesung’s grip. He blamed his sleepy state. If he wasn’t he would’ve thrown the guy out of the room and continue his journey towards the dreamland peacefully. He doesn’t like it when someone barged into the room, waking him up. But maybe Yesung was a little bit of exception. The guy has done it almost daylily and fortunately never to the extent of throwing a bucket of water to his bed, unlike what his father did. “Oh look! A flying turtle!” Kyuhyun said as he looks at the window.

“Where?” When Yesung’s hand weakened, Kyuhyun took the chance to throw him aside and tickle him resulting laughter to fill the once quiet room. His fingers didn’t stop drumming on Yesung’s stomach even when the boy pleads on him to stop. “Okay—Okay stop Kyu! It’s ticklish! Damn it!”

Yesung is his dear childhood friend. They were together ever since they wear diapers. His parents and Yesung’s were good friends since they live in the same neighborhood. That thing didn’t last long when Yesung’s parents died from a plane crash, leaving him with his one year old brother. On that day Kyuhyun swore to protect Yesung at all cost as the boy is someone important in his life. Kyuhyun’s parents are also taking the role of Yesung’s parents and take care of him like their own son.

There were no days without visiting each other’s houses. After all, their houses were only nine steps away. Most people thought they were brothers since they look inseparable. Even though they looked nothing alike, there was no doubt because they were always together. Adding up their habit of skin shipping made people wonder how near they were. They couldn’t ever guess, because the answer is simple. They are childhood friends, both love and adore each other to the extent they promised to stay by each other’s side forever, whatever may happen.

“Your mom asked me to wake you up because she needs your help to water the plant! It’s Saturday! We don’t have school today! Look—Am I even wearing the uniform?!!” Yesung gestured, by that Kyuhyun stops tickling him. Glad they didn’t have school today, he then drowns himself in the pillow once more.

“Geez. Go water the plant in my place.” Kyuhyun said weakly. “Tell mom I’m still sleepy, heck.”

Yesung sighed, smiling while playing the strands of his best friend’s chocolate brown hair. “Well, there’s nothing I could do when you’re like this, Kyu.”

“When… Are you going to stop treating me like a kid?”

Yesung didn’t answer while only caresses his hair. Kyuhyun would be lying if he didn’t find that comfortable. He didn’t even realize that he begins to lean on that small hand. But he suddenly felt grumpy when Yesung stated that without wavering. He was born earlier than him and wasn’t supposed to always be treated like kid. “At least go and take a shower Kyu. You can sleep again after that. I’ll be downstairs with Wookie.”

When Yesung left the room, Kyuhyun immediately land off from the bed and take a fresh shower. He fixes himself with casual clothing since he won’t be going anywhere unless he had a change of plan or perhaps Yesung would like to take him off somewhere. However as for today, he didn’t feel like going anywhere else. A day to spend at home is different than a day to spend outside. He’s more to home because it felt like he could spend more eternity time with the people he loves. Once he’s done he head downstairs and he broke a smile when he saw Yesung feeding Ryeowook.

“Where’s mom?”

“Your mom went out for groceries.” Yesung didn’t take his eyes off from his brother and wipe the stain off from the smaller mouth.

“Good morning Wookie,” Kyuhyun said as he gives Ryeowook a soft peck on the head and cheeks. “Dad?” He then takes a sit oppositely from their sides - staring at the delightful sight.

“Your dad went off to work earlier. He said he’s going to be home late.” Yesung always made a train sound every time it was the little boy’s last bite. His dad usually doesn’t work on weekends which he finds it odd.

“I’ll wash them.” Kyuhyun takes the two bowls from the table, moving them to the sink and start washing them. “Had your breakfast yet?”

“Of course…Kyu, its afternoon now, I just fed Ryeowook his lunch.” Yesung chuckled and Ryeowook follows, clapping his small hands. After he finishes washing the dishes he wipes his hands with kitchen towels before taking Ryeowook in his arms, sending kisses on the smaller cheek. Not long after Kyuhyun secretly try to make little Ryeowook sit on his shoulder, Yesung scolds him to put the small boy down which Kyuhyun playfully declines. He likes to tease Yesung as an entertainment because Yesung’s reaction is always priceless.

“Kyu hyung.” Ryeowook called.

Kyuhyun could feel the little is playing with his hair. “Hmm?” While on behind their world, there stood Yesung with worries as he kept on asking Kyuhyun to put his brother down.

“Ye hyung wants to play too?” Ryeowook asked naively.

“I guess he is?” Kyuhyun smiles.

“Can… you carry him too, Kyu hyung?” Ryeowook’s favor made both teenagers perplexed. Yesung plays with the back of his raven hair while Kyuhyun looks at the latter amusingly. If you look closely, from physical figure Kyuhyun is more likely his biological brother since their hair color almost look identical.

“I can’t Wookie.” Kyuhyun said and hold his laughter, “Because your brother is fat.” That wasn’t true, Yesung is normally light. He just said it to tease the guy.

“Hey!” Yesung exclaimed at the tease. “Cut it out!”

“What is ‘fat’?” Ryeowook puzzled, to which Yesung felt half relieved. To imagine Ryeowook knows the meaning, it would’ve been embarrassing. He is a six old boy with inborn light brown hair who barely knows enough vocabulary to have conversation with the two older boys. Moreover, he hardly talks. He had no children around to converse easy words with. Whenever Kyuhyun and Yesung or the parent are talking, he could only listen attentively and try to absorb every word that they mention, without asking further what they all mean. Wasn’t that what every child does? Even so, he knows the basics.

“But if our Wookie insists… Then I may have to try carrying your brother? It’s worth a try.” Kyuhyun said as he circles Yesung, “Maybe I could build muscles through him.” Before Yesung complained, Kyuhyun puts Ryeowook down on the sofa and spread his arms to Yesung. “Come.”

“What? No!” Yesung backed away.

“For Ryeowook.” Kyuhyun reasoned.

“I…” Before Yesung continue his phone on the dinning table rings. Yesung looks at the screen and to Kyuhyun’s curiosity he didn’t miss the hidden smile on Yesung’s face before the latter picks the call and walks hurriedly to the garden. Who was calling? He never sees his childhood friend smiling like that, to him nor to Ryeowook, his own little brother.

It was a shy smile. The smile that you gave out when you see the person you admired. When that thing came across Kyuhyun’s mind, he gives a small look to the garden and Yesung is currently pacing back and forth - having that sweet smile plastered on him. What if it’s really Yesung’s crush? It could be true. They are on their teenage years. Like people said, it wasn’t weird to have crushes on a person, though Kyuhyun doesn’t have one. He’s been around the people he loves in his life. They are enough to complete his life. He couldn’t really get the idea of loving a stranger.

“Space.” Kyuhyun nods and prepare for his lunch instead of watching Yesung like a mother hen watching her children. Kyuhyun will give space and wait for Yesung to finish as he gobbles the lunch, accompanied by Ryeowook seated beside him playing his favorite giraffe toy. After the lunch he found Ryeowook sleeping against the chair, he carried the little boy to his room full of giraffe wallpaper with blue sky as the background. But it was after Kyuhyun finish washing his lunch dishes that Yesung return inside with surprisingly, a red blush on his cheeks. Kyuhyun noticed yet not made any comment as he return to the dinning table for a seat.

“Sorry. A friend called.”

“Doesn’t sound like one to me.” Kyuhyun eyes him suspiciously, “Who is it?”

“My boyfriend.” Now that surprised Kyuhyun for Yesung’s frankness.

“Wow congratulation, you’re ahead of me.” Kyuhyun chuckled and Yesung only shows a normal smile.

“We met at the convenience store, several times. Some misunderstanding led us knowing each other and we stayed in contact for months… We grew fond of each other…” Kyuhyun didn’t expect that happened so randomly. Does that apply to him too in the future?

“How long have you been dating?”

“Seven months.” That sounds long enough for Kyuhyun who knows nothing of dating and Yesung previously didn’t tell him any of that? They promised they would never hide anything from each other. But Yesung kept everything to himself for seven months or maybe more while Kyuhyun never hides anything from him. It may be a fact now but Kyuhyun didn’t like how it sounds.

How many more did Yesung possibly hide from him? Why? Is Yesung’s introverted personality makes it hard to admit that he has a boyfriend earlier than Kyuhyun does? And what kind of guy is Yesung currently dating? How often did they meet? Yesung told Kyuhyun of never interested in dating before so what made the boy to actually date someone now? Kyuhyun may sound like he was jealous but wasn’t. Instead he was glad that Yesung found someone he likes who likes him back. Instead, he is confused to why Yesung hide them.

Is the guy someone he knows?

Of course not, they met at the convenience store.

Oh wait…the guy could be someone he knows. It’s a small world after all.

Kyuhyun sighs. He realized he’s been holding back questions.

“Sorry Kyu. I wanted to tell you but… I don’t know where to start.” Perhaps, Yesung has his own privacy room. Nevertheless if it is, Kyuhyun is willing to respect his childhood friend’s privacy. He stands up from his place and pat Yesung’s head.

“That’s okay, I understand.” Kyuhyun paused, “Can I hug you?”

“Of course, Kyuhyun ah.” Yesung made the first move to embrace Kyuhyun.

“Do I need permission from your boyfriend?”

“Well…” Yesung shrugs and lets out a husky chuckle. “You have to, if he’s here. But since he’s not here, feel free to hug me.” Kyuhyun join the hug and pat Yesung in the back. Is the role switched now?

“Is he nice? Do you really like him?”

“Pretty decent hearted and… good looking.” Yesung said softly. “He was the one who liked me first, Kyu. I thought it was hard to return his feelings, but fortunately it didn’t.”

At least he’s relieved to know that, “Has he…been taking care of you well?”

“He has, Kyu.”

That is all he needs to know. “Good.” Kyuhyun released the hug while hands still on Yesung’s shoulder. “He has to take care and protect you. But I won’t stand still if he does something to hurt you. Just know that you have me on your back, just like how I have you on mine.” Even thought he’s not sure whether he could leave Yesung on the guy he doesn’t really know yet.

But he’s willing to try trusting what Yesung trust.

“I know that very well. Thank you, Kyu.”

 

Kyuhyun wakes up by the sound of rustling in the room. He turns to the side and closes his own head with a pillow. Then he felt something touched his face. He opens his eyes and sighs as he realized again he was not alone. Little Wookie is beside him, tossing to the right and left, most likely disturbed by the noise too. He had a sleepover at Yesung’s house and stay in the latter’s room after the family had dinner together.

“Uh…” Ryeowook whimpers and Kyuhyun pat his back, returning the boy to his sleeping state. Ryeowook was disturbed by the noise then what about him?

Annoyed, Kyuhyun lift himself, seated on the bed while hugging his favorite penguin pillow. Now he knows why. Yesung is moving around going in and out from the closet while picking clothes, or precisely choosing the right clothes to wear. He stared at Yesung with eyes half opened and wonder what on earth the latter was really doing. Yesung paced around with his hand rested on the chin while mumbling incoherent words.

“What the hell are you doing?” Yesung flinch at the voice.

“Just on time! I’m picking clothes Kyu. Let’s see…” Yesung pick the clothes hanged on the chair and show them to Kyuhyun. “Which one suit me better Kyu? The sweater or the jeans jacket?”

“I think… the maroon sweater? Jeans never fit you and… you never wear one.” Kyuhyun said in hazy state, “Where are you going anyway?”

“I have a date today!” Yesung exclaimed cheerfully. His eyes are sparkling with just the thought of going on a date with his boyfriend. That explains why the boy was pacing around with diffident blush. It has been a while since he knew Yesung is dating. At random times he talked about his boyfriend yet didn’t really bother to mention the guy’s name. Perhaps the guy’s name is precious too. What kind of name does Yesung’s boyfriend have that he’s too shy to blurt out to tell his childhood best friend? It’s just a name, what’s so special about it?

One time he heard Yesung calling his boyfriend ‘prince’ and said to his boyfriend in disbelieve not to call him ‘baby’. Also, in every call, he caught Yesung giggling like a high school girl.

That’s right, you didn’t hear that wrong. That ‘prince’ guy called Yesung ‘baby’ and that guy invent Yesung’s high-school-girl-like giggle.

Kyuhyun was quite bewildered that he didn’t make any reaction. Is that really one of the signs of head over heels on someone?

“Oh. It’s your choice. I’m not the one who’s having date and it wasn’t like it’s your first time…” Kyuhyun stated and a pang of guilt fills him afterwards seeing the dejected looks on Yesung. He blamed his hazy state. The latter’s shoulders were slumped and his head was ducked. Was he a little bit cold? He isn’t the one who will go on a date but it’s Yesung.

Heck, he had no idea what type of boyfriend view Yesung’s boyfriend likes, not to mention he hasn’t even seen the guy yet. The longer he sees Yesung standing looking dejected, the more he’s given up to reject and decided to help the boy instead with one condition, he will have to shower first.

“So… the maroon sweater fits me?” Yesung grins at the mirror ahead while Kyuhyun standing tall behind him facing the mirror too – nodding hesitantly. The result is better than he thought, but the sweater was oversized and it reveals a bit of the boy’s neck. Somehow he finds that a bit complex to tell the truth.

“I…” Kyuhyun faked a cough. “It has flaws.”

“Flaws?” Yesung raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, the…” Your neck is exposed. “The… color is too dark for a ‘day’ date, don’t you think? It’s supposed to be a fresh date so maybe you have to pick a lighter color. I have a hunch that guy—“

“My boyfriend, Kyu.” Yesung corrected and Kyuhyun cursed inside.

“Yes, your boyfriend.” Kyuhyun emphasized, “Will wear something colorful.”

Yesung chuckled, “Well, I’m not positive about that. He’s a classy guy. He wouldn’t wear colorful clothing unless if I ask him to wear one, like I did on our second date because on our first date he wore white collared long sleeves. I know that looked plain and I almost complaint but… it fades away when he bought me bouquet!” Bingo, another puzzle pieces are out.

Yesung’s boyfriend is a classy guy and…romantic. It wasn’t that he wanted to know more about this ‘boyfriend’. He thinks he has to discern whether he could really trust that guy – He’s really trying – to take care of Yesung when he’s not around. That means a small portion of detail about that guy is important. He loves and cares for Yesung as a childhood friend and brother, despite not blood related. He wouldn’t want anything to happen that could possibly hurt the boy.

“Well I guess he’ll wear some classy suite today.” Kyuhyun guessed loudly.

“He’s not that old Kyu.” Yesung chuckled.

“How old is he?”

“Not so old.” Yesung said and take off the sweater, changing into another color.

“That means he’s older than us?” He doesn’t try to sound suspicious however Yesung did not voice out anything and that makes it more suspicious. “He is?”

“He’s three older than us! That doesn’t really matter! Now stop interrogating me and tell me, does this orange sweater look good on me?”

“Yeah, it does.” Kyuhyun said between his relieve sighs.

“Great!” Yesung quickly left from his sight and rustle behind. He heard the bed creaks and look to the side to find Yesung waking little Ryeowook up from slumber. The boy tickles the small from the sides and gives him kisses. Kyuhyun follows and sit on the side of the bed, brushing the long bangs from Ryeowook’s small eyes.

“Come on buddy,” Kyuhyun said softly as he caresses Ryeowook’s soft hair. “It’s time to wake up. We gotta see your brother off by the door.”

“Is Ye hyung…going somewhere?” Ryeowook sits up properly while adorably rubbing his eyes. “Hyung?”

“Wookie ah, hyung will be out for a while with a friend.” Yesung said, “You stay with Kyuhyun hyung until I’m home and be good, okay?” Ryeowook nods slowly and Yesung give him a kiss on the small temple before carrying him in his arms, leaving the white room. The giraffe doll fell from Ryeowook’s soft clutch to the carpeted floor and Kyuhyun pick them up and bring it with him in case the little boy is yearning for it. When they’re by the door, Yesung give his brother the last temple kiss before passing him to Kyuhyun. They send him a wave before closing the door.

Kyuhyun sighs and smiles, giving the giraffe doll to Ryeowook. “It’s just the two of us today kiddo.”

“Kyu hyung…I’m …” Ryeowook yawned. “Hungry.” Is he really hungry or sleepy?

“Alright, but let’s get you shower first.”

“I want bubble bath!”

 

The sunlight illuminates the whole white living room into a bright room despite the absent of lamp. The winds are blowing the transparent curtains in the doorway towards the garden. There sat two brotherly figures spending their day, calm as they enjoy the autumn wind that brings a light-crunchy scent. There sat a plate of chocolate cookies, half already eaten by the little one and milk on the table. Kyuhyun is seated on the floor with his legs crossed, chin rested on his hand while reading book. While Ryeowook had been drawing and coloring on a white piece of paper with determination. Eyebrows knitted downward and lips formed into pout when he spotted something’s missing, whether it’s the drawing of eyes and lips, and a house with missing windows. He almost lost his patience when his finger that held the red crayon slipped and ruin a bit of his artwork.

Kyuhyun avert his eyes from the book to Ryeowook as he felt a tug on his sleeve, “What is it Wookie?”

“Ye hyung, Kyu hyung, me, auntie and uncle.” Ryeowook humbly shows his artwork.

“Wow… our Wookie draw these? They look nice and colorful.” The drawing looks adorable despite the people being stickman in different colors with emoticons on their faces. It may be messy but Kyuhyun seen a lot of efforts in it. The boy always showed his way of creativity through many things which, for Kyuhyun is quite baffling. Long before Ryeowook was born he barely interact with kids as he wasn’t good with them. The first time Kyuhyun saw baby Ryeowook, he had the urge to touch those small hands yet scared of making the baby cry. Until that day,

“Kyuhyun ah, do you want to try holding Ryeowook?” When Aunt Kim offered, Kyuhyun tentatively shook his head.

“I…I don’t know auntie,”

“What do you mean you don’t know?! Just hold him like how I held him in my arms, Kyu.” Yesung said loudly. Aunt Kim shushes her son yet, Yesung still talk loudly. “My brother is your brother too. We are big brothers now! Isn’t that sounds exciting!?”Kyuhyun bit his lower lips, he couldn’t lie about that and perhaps it’s not bad to try holding their little brother for the first time. He slowly takes the small figure wrapped in warm yellow blanket and holds him tightly, afraid if his hand slip might make the baby fall.

“Yah, don’t hold Ryeowook that tight! You’re suffocating him!” Yesung scolded and panic aroused Kyuhyun.

“O-okay.” Kyuhyun loosens and his curiosity of the little bundle grows. It wasn’t bad as he used to expect. The fear of making the baby cry diminishes when he realized he found himself mesmerized as he observes how the baby is breathing in the new world. Small eyes, nose and lips, everything about the newborn in his arms looks perfectly adorable. Kyuhyun ducks his head and tries to rub his nose with the baby’s. When he saw the baby’s eyebrows twitch, almost likely making a funny expression, he heaved a joyous chuckle.

“Welcome to our world Ryeowook ah. You are part of our family now.”

It has been six years since Ryeowook was born. Kyuhyun and Yesung watched and took care of Ryeowook as their brother. They gave him the love and care Ryeowook hadn’t been able to feel from his parents. Their sudden death took place when Ryeowook was only one year old, barely conscious enough to absorb the surroundings. Kyuhyun remembered everything, especially that moment when Yesung was in his weakest state mourning over his parent death. Little Ryeowook stood beside him, clutching tightly on his brother’s black fabric while looking around curiously and greet others cheerfully behind the grief, seemingly not knowing what the actual event was held for.

“Kyuhyun ah, what should I do now?” Yesung had been crying much that Kyuhyun can no more see the tears. Kyuhyun pulled Yesung’s body for an embrace and the latter fell onto his knees. His eyes were red in tears and lips trembling into another sob. “What should I do without them…? What about our Ryeowook? He doesn’t know a thing Kyu… ”

“Yesung ah…” Kyuhyun’s gaze was averted by another loose clutch on his leg. He then looks down to see Ryeowook looking between him and Yesung with those big eyes with unspoken questions. Even without being said, Kyuhyun knew those disquiet looks are asking him why Yesung has been crying. He couldn’t answer. It was not his place to. Kyuhyun felt a tug on his chest and the next thing he knew he’s silently crying.

“I’m sorry...Yesung…Ryeowook ah…”

Two souls were left by the people they love, by the ones who love them dearly.

“I want them back Kyu… When I wake up, I want you to tell me it was all just a dream.”

They were the favor that would make Yesung happy. They were those to erase the looks on Ryeowook’s eyes that made Kyuhyun fell deeper into their shadows. He would’ve done anything to make them happen if he could. It was out of his reach. He couldn’t do a thing except to comfort them.

Kyuhyun stands and attaches the family drawing on the fridge. “I’m sure your brother will like it, they’re very adorable. Good job Wookie.” Kyuhyun gives another compliment as he ruffles the fluffy brown hair and Ryeowook smiles widely.

Whatever might happen, Kyuhyun will protect Yesung and Ryeowook at all cost.

Without their realization, their high school graduation passed by hastily. Ever since he found out Yesung was dating someone they unconsciously grew distant. They barely share stories like how they used to talk all day long. Was that what happen whenever one found someone right for their life? Kyuhyun missed spending time with Yesung but the boy seemed to favor his boyfriend more than him now. He couldn’t help but envy their relationship, at the same time he felt happy seeing Yesung happy. That is, if only he knew, if only he took action on small things he caught,

It was raining that day the moment he reaches the living room. He wanted to finish things earlier so he straightly prints everything out. To his dismay, he realized the time has passed quickly right at the moment when he feels drowsy. He closed his laptop in one swing and gives his neck a small massage. The sky didn’t stop grumbling even after he closed the curtains.

Kyuhyun sighed when his phone rings. He picks the call without having to see who the caller was. In irritating voice he answers, “Hello?”

“Can you open the door? I’m in front of your house."  It was Yesung. Without hesitation he rushed to the living room to open the door for Yesung. What could have made the man to visit his house at this late? He swings the door’s knob and viewed with a drenched figure. His eye scans Yesung from head to toe. The man looks as if someone poured a big bucket of water to him on purpose. In silent voice of concerns Kyuhyun pulls his long time best friend inside and hand him a dry towel.

“What the hell are you doing at this late hour?!” Kyuhyun asked, trying to maintain his voice. To his irritation, only the endless drips of water from Yesung’s hair answers him. Yesung stood there in silence seemingly to look at the blank space, not even moving his hand to dry himself with the towel. The silence that taken over their presence aggravates him that he took a step forward to get Yesung to his senses.

“…”

“Kim Jongwoon!” Kyuhyun called, “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I came here to play.” Yesung chuckled as he remove the hands on his shoulder and dry his hair with the towel. “What else do you think I’m here for? Tch, I never thought I’ll be this drench.” Kyuhyun frowns at his voice. It didn’t seem like Yesung came to his house to play. That sounds really childish. “Can you lend me your spare clothes? Any size wouldn’t matter.”

“You…really came here to play? I mean… This late…”

Yesung nods, “Is it okay if I use the bathroom? I’m freezing here.”

“Yeah…Sure… ” Kyuhyun trails. He selects and prepares suitable casual yet warm clothes for Yesung. The clothes would be a little bit big for Jongwoon but the man said size wouldn’t matter, perhaps as long as it’s comfortable. The man’s sudden presence looks a bit odd or was it just him? Sometimes Yesung would barge in and even at times when Kyuhyun got home he found Yesung sleeping on the couch. That was just ‘sometimes’. Yesung always told Kyuhyun whenever he wanted to pay a visit. However to his surprise, Yesung never made such a late visit especially at a time close to midnight.

“I’ll leave the clothes here.” Kyuhyun said before leaving the bedroom. He is now seated on the couch contemplating few possible reasons of Yesung being there. As he waited for Yesung to come out from the room, he didn’t realize that the man is now standing beside him with small towel wrapped around the shoulder. It took him a few blinks and position switching to be aware of the man’s presence.

“Oh, you’re done.” Kyuhyun commented.

Yesung grins as he touches the fabric of Kyuhyun’s clothing, pulling them to the side as a sign of oversized. “It’s comfortable than I expected.”

“Good to know that.” Kyuhyun sighs as he steals glances at Yesung. The clothing that he lent him was white sweater and long black pants. “I could find the smaller size if you want me to.”

“I’m okay with this.”

“What made you to come all the way here drenched?” Kyuhyun asked while Yesung replied them with a chuckle.

“I came here to play—“

“I’ll take you home.” Kyuhyun offered as he was not convinced.

“You don’t need to. I’m staying over.” Yesung said bluntly as he sits on the carpet. “It’s been a while since I made my stay here. I know you’re tired and busy. I promise I won’t disturb you!” Kyuhyun open his eyes and give Yesung a stare. Not to his surprise yet not to his liking he spotted red and purple marks on the side of Yesung’s lip and cheek. Scanning the wounds discreetly made him slightly waver. Few of the times he spotted those marks on different parts of Yesung’s body. That includes the arms, legs, neck and the most visible part, face. He always wanted to ask where the unlikable marks came from. Did someone hit him? If someone did, who? Did he get into some gangster fight? Yesung isn't someone who would turn into a thug overnight.

“Don’t ever hesitate whenever you need help from me.” Yesung offered.

“I never hesitated.” Kyuhyun said blankly, “I should be the one saying that. We’ve known each other for our life and you never needed my help, even once. It’s unfair.”

“Doesn’t sound unfair to me.” Yesung shrugs, “You’re like my younger brother. I should always be the one offering a hand to you.”

“Until when are you going to stop treating me like kid? Let me ask you one more time. Are you okay?”

“Of course I’m okay.”

“Do you need any help?”

“No. Why should I?”

“Yeah right, another hideous lie.”

“A lie? What made you to come up with such assumption?”

“It’s not an assumption!” Kyuhyun unintentionally raised his voice, fading the smile from Yesung’s face. “You may be older than me but it doesn’t mean you always have to be the one who offered a hand. Sure, I seem to owe you a lot. Yes, you haven’t said you never need my help. But whenever it’s my turn to make sure you’re okay, you always said everything is fine when it’s not!”

“Because that’s what it was!” The shaky voice from Yesung didn’t go unnoticed by Kyuhyun. “Everything has been fine and it’s the truth. What made you say that I’m lying?”

“You sure?” Kyuhyun abruptly pull Yesung by arm for them to stand up face to face. Yesung may be older than him for only a few months but when it comes to height, Kyuhyun crowns it. Kyuhyun rolls both of the other’s long sleeves and he clenches his jaw when he sees another visible wounds. “These define fine? From your legs to your arms, neck and to your cheeks! All these time they’re all visible enough for me to see. Perhaps others may have seen it too. Tell me that you’re still fine!”

“I’m… fine…” Yesung said almost inaudibly, eyes looking elsewhere.

“Who did these to you?” Kyuhyun finally asked and Yesung struggle to let go of the grip. “Tell me. We’re friends…no…. brothers. Friends or brothers should share happiness and sorrow together, that’s what you said. We should help each other. Tell me and I’ll report that person—“

“Tomorrow I’m taking Wookie on trip. Wanna come with us?” Yesung tried distracting – not to his knowing it’s not working.

“Is it your boyfriend? Is it that guy you’re so head over heels for?!”

If only he knew,

“I’m so sorry. He died by the time he arrived here.”

That time Kyuhyun learnt when the world around him broken down to pieces. Bit by bit they screamed at him, sharply and mercilessly chanting that Yesung was no longer there – he would no longer be around him, he would no longer be by his side. The promises they fill in their world is now nothing but a bitter hollow shell. Yesung left him – a part of his world he treasured left. The car crash ate Yesung’s life – He should’ve protected him at all cost – They shouldn’t have fought otherwise the accident won’t happen.

He broke his own word. It was his entire fault for letting anger overshadowed his care for Yesung.

Kyuhyun screamed in agony. His hysteric cry fills the hospital and people around looked at him in sympathy. He’s about to fell on his knees when Heechul, Yesung’s uncle embrace him warmly and whispered him soothing words. The man took his nephew in after his parent’s death and lived together for the mean time – the news shocked him that he couldn’t say a word – It’s frustrating how death could take anyone right away.

“Our little one’s still fighting there. Let’s hope the best for him.”

 

“Kyu hyung!”

Ryeowook – despite visible stitches on his forehead that looked quite hurting even for someone older like Kyuhyun and bandage wrapped half of his head – greeted Kyuhyun with his sunshine smile. The accident took four days of his life after the surgery but that was less compared to what Yesung been through. The funeral was just a few days ago and nothing felt different ever since.

“Hey there little buddy.” Kyuhyun sits beside the bed and present the eight year old with mini bouquet of small roses together with his favorite giraffe doll. Ryeowook embrace the present with his brightest smile ever that somehow lifted Kyuhyun’s foul mood. “How are you feeling?”

“Better!” Ryeowook chuckled as Kyuhyun hugged his small figure. “Auntie Cho and uncle Cho visited earlier. They just left. Oh, they came together with uncle Heechul. Don’t tell the nurse and doctor but uncle Heechul bought me lots of sweets!” He said in excitement – it’s as if the accident never happened.

Kyuhyun hummed, “Good for you.”

“Where’s Yesungie hyung? He still hasn’t waked up?” Ryeowook release the hug – Kyuhyun can’t look at him in the eyes. “Uncle told me he’s still asleep. I’ve been waiting for him but he never visited. But I guess I won in who’s waking up earlier!”

“Ryeowook ah, you don’t have to wait for him anymore.” Others may have told Ryeowook lies but Kyuhyun knew, telling lie won’t do any good.

“Hmm?” Ryeowook look naively over to the door, “Is hyung hiding there?”

“I’m sorry, Ryeowook ah.” Kyuhyun drop his head on the small shoulder – he could no more hold his tears. “You don’t have to wait anymore. Yesung is not…Yesung is… He’s not coming back. I’m sorry.”

“What are you talking about?” Ryeowook said quietly, almost like whispering. “Uncle Heechul said hyung is still asleep… Is hyung hurt that bad? Is he in pain? Kyu hyung, let’s go to hyung. I want to see him. I miss hyung.”

“Yesung is not here anymore. He left…”

“Hyung would never leave me.” Ryeowook argued. “Let’s go see hyung now.”

“Yesung died in the accident. He’s not coming back. He left us, Ryeowook ah. I’m so sorry.” It was a cruel thing to say to a child but he had to – between guilt, regret and pain. Kyuhyun cries in the small’s shoulder, his shoulder jerking up and down. A moment of tension fills the room, no sound could be heard other than his cries and the small’s soft breathing. Suddenly he felt a small hand patting his back gently.

“Mommy and daddy must’ve missed hyung so much….” Ryeowook said between his silent tears. His hand that’s patting the other’s back trembling a little yet still holding them back – He had to comfort the one in pain despite feeling sad too, just like what his brother always remind him. Hearing that his only brother died hurts – It was a hard truth to believe – It felt like nightmare but Kyuhyun couldn’t be lying.

Ryeowook wipe his own tears before releasing the hug and wipe the tears from Kyuhyun’s eyes with his small hands. “Hyung always cry because he missed mommy and daddy. Everyone miss each other. I think hyung is happy up there with mommy and daddy. Don’t cry....” Ryeowook then cup the other’s face and peck his forehead – one magic comfort that Kyuhyun always did whenever he cried that could make him stop crying.

“Please trust my parents. Hyung is going to be okay up there.”

What he felt is less compared to how Ryeowook felt – a child that lost his parents and now, a brother. He lost his love ones at a young age.

When Kyuhyun thought he learnt his world had completely broken to pieces – He didn’t realize there’s still one piece left that’s struggling to survive. Perhaps, just maybe it could help him rebuild his shattered world into a whole piece again.

A hope on a wavering ship was born and he would maintain those flickering hope.