CH [4]

Our Tomorrow

It was that dream on fall night.

He stood near the pole as he watched his younger self walking hand in hand with his late brother enjoying every bits of crispy air under the beautiful cherry blossom trees. The little boy’s smiles went bright as his eyes fixated on the person running towards them and soon joined into that person’s embrace. Melodious laughter fills the air. The three of them looked very like a joyous family. Being in that scene was everyone’s dream.

The person with brown coat who just appeared was no other than Cho Kyuhyun, best friend of Jongwoon, who unexpectedly appear in his life again. Ryeowook smiled sadly at the sight, feeling the nostalgia rushing through his blood only to cease them the moment he heard a soft cry.

Another figure appeared. This time the man was kneeling a miles away from them. Kyuhyun looked at the figure behind them and with a soft smile and casts a whisper on the smaller ear. The boy’s attention shifted to the person on ground. Kyuhyun placed him down and the boy immediately reached for that person and presents him a warm embrace.

Ryeowook looked at the man closely then realized it was another…Kyuhyun? It felt strange at first as he asked himself how it was possible for one person to appear as two at the same place. He reminded himself that he was currently dreaming. He was conscious of it and that’s all matters.

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun then gave each other a reassuring smile and look at the two other before intertwining their hands as they walk towards the light. Slowly each section of the place becomes dark as if someone switching off the lights. There was nothing he saw at last moment. As the void finally crowned the place Ryeowook woke up to his alarm screaming through his bedroom.

What a dream that was, he thought in exhaustion. He hadn’t thought of his late brother in a while then why such dream befalls on him? Is it because Kyuhyun who was a part of his childhood had appeared before him again after years?

“Here’s your lunch.” Heechul gives the lunchbox to his nephew. “Hey, you’ve been very quiet. Are you alright?”

“Huh? Yeah, of course.” Ryeowook assured as he accepts the box. His uncle doesn’t always make lunchbox for him but when he does; it made him quite happy despite the strange mood today. “Thanks.”

“Someone’s here for you.” Heechul smirked, as he faced the mirror making his tie.

“Who?”

“I can’t believe my precious nephew is already zoning out this morning.” Heechul chuckled and ducked his head to their opened front door. Ryeowook followed and gasped at who he saw.

Kim Jaejoong, handsome as always leaning against the wall with his phone, the current high school’s sweet heart paired with the school’s flower boy. How would everyone react once they know the school’s favorites are dating? Surely he won’t deny, he’d love to see that as an entertainment. But the thought of becoming their attention is horrifying so he might have to consider that.

“Jaejoong sunbae good morning –“

“Hyung, I’ll be taking Ryeowook to school if you don’t mind right now because we’ll be late soon!” Jaejoong said hastily as he takes Ryeowook arm.

“Sure, sure.”

“Yah, wait it’s not even –!”

“Bye, have a nice day!” Jaejoong exclaimed while excitedly pulled his current lover out of the house. In the middle on their way Ryeowook gave him a playful slap on shoulder. The tall winced in pain and they look each other seriously before bursting in laughter. The first laugh they shared for today was as good as every other day.

“It’s still half an hour before the school bell rings. Why did you fetch me so early? I mean…” Ryeowook looked up the sky, “What’s with the fetch today?”

“You’re talking as if I never fetched you before.” Jaejoong chuckled as he ruffled the other’s hair.

“Hmm…” Ryeowook scratched the back of his neck. “I’m still not used to it, sunbae.”

“Because you don’t like being the center of attention, that’s why I fetched you early. It’s so I could walk you to school without anyone seeing your perfect morning face, gorgeous.” Jaejoong walked in front of Ryeowook backwards with a sweet smile plastered on his face. “How’s that? Too cheesy? Do you like it?”

“Nope but I don’t hate it.”

“I tried.” Jaejoong extends his hand, “Let’s hold hands.”

Ryeowook without hesitant linked hands with his and start walking hand in hand. He bit his lower lip as he’s feeling reluctant. They don’t usually hold hands. Even during the first few weeks of dating he’s still reluctant accepting Jaejoong’s hand. However, as they walk together like this, maybe it won’t be a bad idea to slowly make progress in their relationship. Though, his mind is still cloudy whether to reciprocate that love. But for now he might as well consider himself lucky that Jaejoong never forced him for that.

The classes went well with him staying up for every subject, something that he does ever since that night’s incident. Before he knew it the school’s dismissed. He arrived at the student council room together with Donghae and Hyukjae and takes his seat at his favorite spot as he waits for the rest of the members to arrive. They start the meeting twenty minutes later despite some barely arrived on time due to their perspective club activities. When everything’s done, ones left were the three of them enjoying the warm drinks while watching the day ends.

“You’re very quiet today. Is something wrong?” Donghae concerned at Ryeowook. Hyukjae nods, implying he was worried for his best friend as well. They watched the boy in curiosity but don’t meet his eyes.

“I’m fine.”

“Shall we head home now?” Hyukjae offered. “It’s getting late. The teachers probably aren’t here anymore.”

The trio packed their stuff and head out of the council room. Ryeowook thought it’s best to take their separate ways and fortunately the two other agreed to do it his way. He stopped by the nearest market on his way for some chocolate buns and peach soda. He heaves a small smile as he remembered some who saw the snack combination looked strangely at him. He never denies how strange it is. Heading out he made his way to the playground by the market and sits on one of the swing. He solely savors the snacks while looking at the night sky, mind counting every alluring star his eyes managed to catch.

“It’s fifteen.”

“Hmm, how come I only see six?” Ryeowook counts them again and still gets the same result. “It’s clearly six…I can’t be mistaken, could I?

“Yes, it is six, for today. On Monday I caught three, Tuesday two, Wednesday one, Thursday three and today’s Friday, six. That’s a total of fifteen in five days. Usually there’s either five in total for the weekends that makes in eleven for a week in whole. But it depends. We can’t always be sure about them. I see that the sky also have schedules of what they want to show us. Sometimes it’s sad I can’t see stars.”

Ryeowook turned his head at the source of the voice and give the small figure beside him an impressive look. Seated on the other swing is a smiling little girl, doe hazel eyes with white dress and yellow sweater, a red backpack carried on her back. Hair reaches her shoulders and decorated with a flower pin on side.

“That’s cool. Beautiful isn’t it, the night sky?”

“Yes! It’s worth waiting for a few hours here after school. Also, since there aren’t many people here, let me tell you a secret.” The girl usher him to get closer. She covers and whispers, “This is the best star spot in town. I’ll make sure it will never make you bored!”

Ryeowook silently gasped. “Really?”

“It’s our secret now.” The girl shushed. “Don’t tell anyone.”

“I won’t.” He chuckled.

“I’m Hanbyeol, a student at Sunshine Kindergarten, nice to meet you. What is your name?”

“I’m Ryeowook, a high school student, nice to meet you too.”

“Are you waiting for someone, oppa?” Hanbyeol asked.

He shook his head. “No. I just feel like I should stay outside a little longer, that’s why I’m here. How about you? By the way, aren’t you supposed to be home now? What are you doing here alone when you shouldn’t be?”

“I’m waiting for my dad. He promised to fetch me as early as he could but it’s getting late now. I’m not too familiar with the place here since we just moved here a few months ago.”

“Aren’t you scared of waiting alone here, like this? Wouldn’t it be better if you wait at school with your teacher?” Ryeowook asked.

“I’m used of being alone here. I’m not afraid because my dad will always come for me. Also, my teachers supposedly have to wait for me until my dad comes but he’s always late so I rather not burden them. Anyway…I’m learning to love it here but I’m having a hard time getting used to it.” Hanbyeol sighed. “Daddy’s been busy ever since he got a job. But I understand since he needs to make a living for us because if it’s not dad who else would?”

For a little girl, barely six years old to talk like that surprised him. “It’s good that you understand your dad. I’m sure he’s proud for having a daughter like you, Hanbyeol ah.” He smiled at her and the girl did the same. “I’d like to remind you this…You have to know that you shouldn’t talk to strangers. You don’t know which one of them is a bad or good person.”

“That’s true…My dad told me so…But you’re a good person, oppa.”

Ryeowook tilted his head, “How are you so sure?”

“I’ve seen you before, here, in this playground.” Hanbyeol smiles brighter. She then pointed towards the slide area. “On rainy day you saved kittens from being drenched under the rain with your umbrella, right?” Ryeowook slightly widened his eyes. He remembered that certain day. It a day after his uncle told him the truth about Kyuhyun, that day when he gave the camera and necklace back. To this day he’s still wondering where the kittens are. “For the next three days you were the one who used to feed the kittens in the box until they’re taken away. That’s the last time I saw you.” She paused, “Of course I know I shouldn’t talk to strangers. If you’re not that oppa I wouldn’t talk to you either. I’d have to keep my distance.”

“I see…So you saw me…” Ryeowook smiles sadly, “I thought no one was there.”

“You were crying too. Were you having a bad day?”

“Not actually a bad day. I had to let something out.” He sighs. “I had to.”

“It’s okay to cry. Even my dad who’s a working man, I saw him crying sometimes.” Hanbyeol said as her feet begin to move the swing. “I thought daddy’s a strong hero who’d never shed tears at all. But one day when I saw him crying it changed my mind. I feel sad for him, whatever he was tearing about. I learned that a being a hero isn’t all about always being strong and tough. Maybe, just maybe, all that sadness and hardships he experience is what shapes him to be one.”

Ryeowook felt like he couldn’t say anything. The little girl just made him speechless. Is what before him is really a five year old? For someone as young as her to be saying something like that is unbelievably impressive. Her parents must be the kind of people who talks wisely since children is basically the spitting image of their parents.

“For a kid your age, you are very smart.” Ryeowook smiles as he complimented her. “I can see that you love your dad so much.”

“I do.” Hanbyeol grinned. “Very smart? Everyone around me said I don’t speak like a kid my age. But you and dad told me the same.”

Ryeowook breathes out an air. “Very well then. Anyway, I guess I will wait with you here.”

“Here? You don’t want to go home, oppa?”

“It’s getting late. Young kid shouldn’t be waiting here alone.”

“Thank you–”

“Hanbyeol ah!”

The two reflexively turn their heads at the voice calling.

“Sorry I’m late. Did you wait long?”

“Daddy!” Hanbyeol lands of the swing and immediately hug the figure in brown blouse outer with black turtle neck inside and black pants, whose kind eyes lands on the other instead. “Daddy, daddy you’re finally here!” Ryeowook stood up from his seat as his mind’s processing the scene before him. A daughter and that handsome familiar figure he sees five times a week, who occupies his mind these days, why is he here now?

Wait – don’t tell him – what he sees right now isn’t all an imagination.

“Daddy, remember when I told you that I saw someone saving kittens from rain?” Hanbyeol told her father excitedly and give Ryeowook a short admiring look. “Today I get to talk to him! He’s here now!”

Kyuhyun smiled at his daughter and darts back to Ryeowook, who bows as he’s thinking what he should say however to his dismay he gets wordless instead.

“How are you with my daughter?”

“I…I was seating here when she talked to me.” Ryeowook said as he secretly play with his finger in nervous when he shouldn’t be. “I decided it’d be proper to wait here with her since it’s already late. I couldn’t just leave her alone.”

“Oh… is that so.” Kyuhyun faces his daughter who sleepily rubbing her eyes. “Sleepy?”

Hanbyeol nods, her father then lift her up and carry her in his arms. “I’m sleepy daddy. But I’m hungry…”

“Alright, you can sleep on our way to dinner, okay?” Kyuhyun asked his daughter tenderly like a father does. He didn’t get a reply from her anymore, indicating that Hanbyeol had fallen asleep. The small smile from him didn’t go missed by Ryeowook. It made him smile too at the warm scene.

“Ryeowook-ssi.”

“Yes, Mr. Cho?”

“Follow me.”

Ryeowook was hesitant at first but a few second after he saw Kyuhyun going towards the car, he followed. Kyuhyun place her daughter gently in the back seat and opens the door for the passenger front seat.

“Get in.”

“W-what?”

Kyuhyun smiles, “Please get in.” He said calmly, that made Ryeowook had no choice but to follow again. The door was closed softly later and once the driver’s seat is occupied, the car engine starts they drive away.

“Seatbelt.” Kyuhyun reminds as he made a turn.

“O-oh….Yes.” Ryeowook then buckle the seatbelt and sighs in relieve. This is not the first time he's seated here. Everything in the car heavenly smells like citrus. Elegant, calm yet classy, just like everything about the man beside him. He felt nervous all of a sudden. He fiddles with the hem of his uniform. It was more than before when they met at the park. Why? Is it because he suddenly remembers the last incident where he gave the camera and necklace back? When he found out that the man who denied remembering anything is indeed Cho Kyuhyun, his late brother’s long time best friend?

As of that they haven’t exchange a word since that day.

“Mr. Cho, may I know where we heading?"

"Your house."

Silence.

What more should he say? All the words are jumbling in his head. As confusion crowns his whole being he plays with his fingers as a distraction.

Not long after the car stops in front of Ryeowook’ house. Kyuhyun turned off the engine before stepping out of the car. Ryeowook bit his lips as he follows and stops his steps before the gate. He faced his teacher, heaving a soft smile and presents a short bow. “Thank you for the ride, Mr. Cho.”

To which his homeroom teacher nods. “Take it as my gratitude for giving Hanbyeol a company. She’s always alone there whenever I have a load of work to finish.”

“I know.” From that Kyuhyun raised one eyebrow. Ryeowook grins, “Hanbyeol told me. You’re busy ever since you got a job, that’s what she said.”

Kyuhyun sighs, inserting both of his hands in his pants pocket and his eyes everywhere but the other. “Hanbyeol hardly gets along with others. So for her to even tell you that, she must be taking a like in you.”

“She’s very adorable and smart.” Ryeowook heaves a small laugh, “I look forward to be her friend if we ever see each other again, that, if you don’t mind Mr. Cho.”

Kyuhyun didn’t say a thing and instead looks back at his car. Hanbyeol is asleep ever since he placed her on the back seat. He should go home now without wasting his time standing there. Little did he know a black car that is approaching from afar will be parked behind his. The owner steps out with a whistle, locking the vehicle and walk towards the other two while snapping his fingers in tune. Ryeowook, knowing the car is his uncle’s, said his greeting to the man in black suit with his brightest smile despite already feeling drowsy.

“Uncle Heechul!”

“Ryeowook ah, it’s late. What are you doing here outside?” Heechul asked bluntly. He impassively turns his head to the man standing before his nephew then scoffed a smile, “Oh? What’s this?” He asked as he carefully looks at Kyuhyun. “Yah, Ryeowook ah. Explain.”

“Explain what?”

“Is this really our Kyuhyun?”

“—and my homeroom.”

“What?!” Heechul exclaimed, turning to Kyuhyun. “Is that true?!

“Ah, things happened. It’s quite a short story.” Ryeowook said with a small smile of discontentment, remembering how it took him a while to confirm the man he refers to is actually the Kyuhyun they know despite the denial he received. “But yes you’re right.” He gives Kyuhyun a smile, “Isn’t it? It’s been a long time. You must’ve missed Kyuhyun hyung, uncle.” Even so it still doesn’t erase his curiosity to know why the man was being denial. Kyuhyun quietly nod at Heechul in response before his body unexpectedly pulled for a tight embrace.

“This feels like a dream. Welcome back, Kyuhyun ah.”

Kyuhyun thought he saw tears forming on him.

Why does warmth always revolve around you…?

A frown appears on him yet such kind gesture that touch his heart made Kyuhyun smile in return.

You’re always one step ahead of me…Always.

“Thanks, Heechul hyung.”