CH [2]

Our Tomorrow

“Uncle! I’m home!”

“Oh good timing Wookie, give me a hand.” Uncle Heechul voice leads him to the nearest wall in living room. He is currently sitting on a ladder and nailing the wall. “Can you take that painting for me? I’m hanging them on the wall.”

Ryeowook waited for him to finish nailing and then hand him the painting. The size wasn’t that large and it’s quite light. There are still several good paintings on the floor.

“Careful.” He warned. “Where did you buy these?”

“I painted them. Donghae helped me a bit. Can’t believe he just turned me into an artist.”

“You two? When?”

“You don’t have to sound that surprised.” Heechul smirks. “But you should be proud of having such a talented uncle!” Just like him, smart and fast at learning things, standing all proud but at times Ryeowook is too thoughtless to think where his uncle get that talent. Perhaps he shares the same brain as his mother since they are both siblings.

“Hmm…Should I?” He joked. “What’s for dinner?”

“You just got home and you already ask for a dinner?”

“I’m hungry.” Ryeowook whined.

“Just say what you want for dinner.” Uncle Heechul clicked his tongue and a smile spread on my lips.

“Tofu stews.”

“Got that.” Heechul chuckled, “Wait until I finish hanging them on the wall. You just go to your room and wash up.”

“Alright. Call me down if you need help.” Ryeowook walk upstairs and dump to his bed. He sighed in exhaustion and closes his eyes.

Uncle Heechul told him that his brother was all he had after his parents passed away from an air crash. He was a year old and his brother – Yesung – took care of him until uncle Heechul took him in and Yesung when he was five. Heechul gave them comfortable shelter and lived their life using all of the support he could give. Even though uncle Heechul was always busy, he still cooks and sends them to studies and took care of him even though he had no experience taking care of child.

With only uncle Heechul, it was like having another mother and father figure in one person.

Unfortunately, that didn’t last long. On the way home after the night shift, his brother was hit by a car when he crossed the street. He was brought to the hospital but it was all too late, he passed away before the surgery. The one who was responsible for the accident gave them the compensation, but that wasn’t enough because despite he compensated them with tons of money, that still won’t bring back his brother.

Heechul told him these when he’s grown enough to understand. He barely remembers enough of his childhood prior eight years old –especially his only brother, though some flashbacks that Heechul never told him appear at random times. They were mostly moments with his brother.

Ryeowook open his eyes and look at the picture frame seated on top of the drawer beside his bed. Seated on a brown bench on a fine blue day were his parents and brother. Their smiles on the picture still look alive to this day. “Wookie ah.” His bedroom door opened, revealing Heechul standing by the silhouette. “What? You haven’t washed yet?” He got up from my bed and takes the dry towel in the closet.

“I’m sleepy.”

“Wash up, I’m almost done.”

“What? That fast?”

“No. It’s been an hour. Were you asleep?” It seemed like he did. “Hurry, I won’t wait.”

“Alright.” He smiles at Heechul before walking inside the bathroom. After the wash up he’s fixed with casual clothing. When he got downstairs to the dinning room, it seems like uncle Heechul just took his first bite. “Right, first bite is always the best. You never like waiting.”

“I even dumped a girl who made me wait for an hour.” Heechul takes his second bite as Ryeowook takes his first dinner seat for today.

“Was that the fifth time?” He smiled, “Thanks for the food uncle.”

“Make sure—“

“That I eat a lot.”

After the dinner he washes the bowls and they sit in the living room to watch TV and between those they exchange stories. That went on for almost two hours until their eyes are drowsy. He went back to his room for a long sleep till tomorrow morning.

“Good night mom, dad, hyung.”

The alarm clock annoys him but he doesn’t have the guts to throw it away. He opens his eyes and frees from the larva-styled blanket he caused in his sleep. Don’t ask how long that takes because it took a while to adjust his surroundings with hazy state. When he’s finally freed, he directly head towards the bathroom.

After the warm bath he wears his school uniform, fixing myself and put the scheduled books in my bag, heading downstairs. Uncle Heechul hasn’t awake yet and at certain times he doesn’t feel like having breakfast. As for lunch today, he thought of buying food from the cafeteria.

The sky is clear and the air smells fresh. You can never beat the morning air. It boosts you to actually wake up from your hazy state. The school grounds weren’t that crowded yet, that’s why he likes going to school early, too early that he yet to see a student walking on the same ground. He arrived in my classroom and take his seat, taking his breaths briefly before getting drowned with the story book he left in the desk. It took quite a time for him to hear mutterings inside the class, indicating that almost all of the students are here.

“Morning Wook.” Hyukjae wrap his arms around his neck from behind.

“Hmm, morning Hyukkie.” Ryeowook greet back despite being too immersed with his book. “Where’s Hae?”

Hyukjae shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe late.”

Ryeowook closed his book when the bell rings. “He’s probably at art room. I’m going there, you coming?”

“O-Oh…Yeah.”

“Yeah? You knew?”

“I mean, yeah probably he’s there. I’m staying.” Hyukjae faked a smile, now sitting in his place. “Mr. Cho must be on his way here.” What’s wrong with him? Ryeowook thought, that wasn’t like Hyukjae. “It won’t be nice to see his three students are missing.”

“Are you sick? What time did you sleep yesterday? Did you stay late? We don’t have homework yesterday.” Ryeowook placed his hand on Hyukjae’s forehead.

“W-what?” Hyukjae shook his head, “No. I’m fine. You should go to Donghae before Mr. Cho arrives.”

“Okay then, if you say so.” Ryeowook smiled, though he doesn’t sound convinced. “I’ll be back.”

 

The sun’s about to sleep, the beautiful orange sky caught the viewer’s eye. It creates silhouette to whatever underneath; mainly the trees, people and buildings.

The striking sight somehow didn’t caught one’s gaze though it would work for the other who’s asleep soundly since an hour ago after another council meeting. Ryeowook would be delighted to see the phenomena since he loves beautiful sights. But there’s saying that no matter how beautiful something is it could look mere to some people. It doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate it. They may be aware of its beauty however for them it’s a normal one, not something that their heart could praise.

That goes for Hyukjae as he watches Ryeowook sleeping on chair, arms folded on table and head rested on them. Instead of the large view ahead, his eyes chose to watch Ryeowook instead. The brown hair boy’s beauty can’t be compared to anything, not even a flower just like what others called him. For Hyukjae, Ryeowook is something he barely could explain in words. But one word he could use for the mean time; he is special.

The sound of door opening and closing reached his ears but he bother not looking back. He knows who that is after the scent of painting room now dominates the room. It’s nothing exceptional. The time made him used to it. The steps went closer and stopped right behind him – creating a sole distance that reminded them who they used to be.

Today is the day. The silence is menacing. Hyukjae wished either one of them have the strength to leave the room but none had. An average canvas was placed on table and a soft sigh escaped from the person.

“Happy 4th Year Anniversary.”

Hyukjae clenched his fist.

“I hope you like it, Eunhyuk ah.”

He hates that name.

“Did you wait long?”

“Don’t misunderstand. I’m not waiting for you.” Hyukjae said the fact, eyes still bore to Ryeowook sleeping yet from the side he could see the sky’s getting darker by seconds. Suddenly, a hand grips his arm and leads him to his office. He yanks his hands and opens the door again but slammed by the other. Hyukjae frowns, checking whether Ryeowook was awaken by the loud sound but thankfully not.

“Eunhyuk ah…”

“Don’t call me that.” It was the nickname Donghae specially made for him. Why did he felt like in verge of crying? Donghae only stood still looking at his sorrow gaze in disguise.

They’ve known each other since first grade of elementary school, more like half of their life. They were inseparable like brothers. In fourth grade he had a crush on Donghae. The boy always had him on his back. He was like a pillar for him. In the beginning after finding out his feelings for Donghae he was nervous and scared that the other might not feel the same. Almost everyone in school liked him – especially the prettiest girl in school yet he didn’t know Donghae liked him too. It was no longer one sided. He knows after he received a confession from him on first year of middle school.

That was the happiest moment of his life. They spent time together everyday. They loved each other like any other couples.

Yet, sometimes in life, happiness didn’t last long. If only he knew by then at least, he would’ve prepared for the worst. When the unavoidable circumstance came, he ended things with Donghae on their third year of middle school, two days before their anniversary. Since then, whenever he experience happy moments he would always remind himself that it might not last long, prepare for the worst so he shouldn’t expect anything from it.

Their relationship lasted for two years. Each time they celebrate their anniversaries Donghae always give him his painting. Hyukjae loved and treasured them; perhaps, a small part of him still. Donghae gave his on their third anniversary despite they’re not together anymore. That time Hyukjae decided to keep the gift he thought would be the last. He decided to continue his days pretending as if nothing happened; more likely, as if he didn’t know Donghae. It felt like torture but he thought it’s for the best.

A month after that Ryeowook was transferred to their school. Hyukjae was assigned to tour him around the building. They got along easily and became friends. One day during recess they were talking about random things when out of blue Ryeowook approached Donghae.

“Hey…Why are you always alone?” Ryeowook asked, seated in front of Donghae while staring into his brown eyes in interest. “Don’t you have anyone to talk to?”

“I have. Just don’t feel like it.” Donghae shrugged. Ryeowook stood and told him to stand up which he obediently did. The new boy moved his chair to where Hyukjae and he were seated. He pulled Donghae by arm and sat him on the chair. Hyukjae stared at Ryeowook in disbelieve, at the same time flabbergasted.

“Now this is better. I always feel like we’re missing someone.” Ryeowook smiled kindly. “You are Donghae, right? From now on, stay with us and let’s get to know each other better.”

From that day, Ryeowook always made sure that Donghae stayed with them. It started awkwardly especially between Hyukjae and Donghae because of what they’ve been through but as days passed – because of Ryeowook – they get to spend time together again just like they used to, as good friends. Whenever Donghae tried bringing up their past Hyukjae would say ‘we’re living in present now Hae!’ or ‘Let’s continue our better life to the fullest’.

Hyukjae doesn’t need explanation since he saw everything. He believes sometime words could lie but eyes never.

Still, today he never thought Donghae said that.

“How far are you going to keep this up, Donghae?” Hyukjae asked with a small bitter smile. “We’re over, you don’t need to do that anymore. It’s groundless.”

“I never said we’re over.” Donghae frowned.

“I did.”

“You never give me the chance to explain.”

“What’s there to explain?” This is why he hates talking about the past. It hurts. “Enough, I saw everything with my own two eyes.”

“It’s not like what you think –”

“This never happened. Like always, let’s keep on pretending nothing happen between us.”

“I’m tired of this.”

“Oh…You don’t think I am?”

“How far are you going to keep this up?” Donghae fired back the question.

“As far as I could.” Hyukjae said blankly. “Easy, that’s makes us even. You won’t stop and I won’t either.”

“That works for me too then. I’m not giving up.”

Hyukjae opened the door not bothering to give Donghae a look and walks to Ryeowook who is now awake. He stares at the painting with sleepy eyes. Hyukjae kneeled before Ryeowook, fixing his messy bangs.

“Still sleepy?”

Ryeowook slowly nods, tried blinking then closing his eyes again as he drop his head to Hyukjae’s shoulders. He turned around and gives Ryeowook a piggy back ride.

“Oh…It’s that painting. Hae painted that this morning.” Ryeowook said drowsily.

“You like it?”

“Yeah.”

Hyukjae doesn’t know why he’s smiling. He did when his eyes lands on the canvas. It’s a painting of Camellia under a red umbrella with droplets of rain. “Yeah, it’s beautiful. Isn’t it?” If only Donghae could hear that. Hyukjae left the room with Ryeowook on his back. The latter is roughly light as feather. He often piggy backs him home so it was nothing.

“Yet…sad. Really sad.” Ryeowook murmured, snuggling closer to Hyukjae’s neck. “Is our Hae sad, Hyuk? Did something happen? Where is he? I didn’t see him.”

“He went home earlier.” Hyukjae lied.

“Let’s treat him waffle ice cream tomorrow.” Ryeowook smiled softly.

“Good idea.”

“Hyuk, where’s my bag?”

“I think I left them.”

“Where?”

“Council room, I think I left mine too.”

“Do we have homework?”

“Math.”

“Again?”

Hyukjae puts Ryeowook down without consent, gaining a sigh from the latter. He chuckled. “You’re awake. There’s no need for me to carry you anymore.” Ryeowook then pouted at him and yawn. They bid their goodbyes and went to their perspective ways. Though Hyukjae stood there to watch Ryeowook from behind until he’s far away from where he’s standing to make sure no one’s following him.

Despite feeling sleepy, Ryeowook still able to walk straight, knowing where he should go. The street lights are flickering and his surroundings are almost empty. He sees no one in sight or maybe because he’s sleepy? But in some way he felt someone walking behind his small steps. It gets closer as he fasten his steps yet it gets slower when he slowed down.

He wasn’t sure whether someone was really following him that he looked back to make sure and indeed, to his dismay; someone in black sweater and cap is following him, one hand inside the pocket while the other’s not. Without a moment of thought he walk faster since running might not be a good idea. Who knows that someone could be a fast runner than he is? He begins to see other people walking ahead. He felt like asking for help but words were stuck in his throat. He dashed inside the convenience store and watch where the guy is going. To his horror, the guy waited in front of the store, seemingly staring at him.

Ryeowook paced around, his eyes keep on glancing towards where the guy’s standing. He waited and waited but the guy just stood there as if waiting for him to go out.

“W-what should I do…” Ryeowook said, biting his thumb. It’s the habit whenever he’s nervous or scared. “Phone!” Taking out his phone he calls the first person on his contact list. Uncle Heechul. “Please pick up uncle…” First beep, second beep, third beep and it goes on until the line went off. He tried four times yet it didn’t work. His uncle must be busy. He picked the second person. Donghae. “Please...” The same four attempts didn’t work.

Third person, Hyukjae. After two attempts he shifts to Jaejoong when he realized Hyukjae left his bag at school. Same like others, it didn’t work as well. His thumb’s about to make another call for the last person on list but stopped.

Mr. Cho

Should he call him? Donghae got Mr. Cho’s number for him from who-knows since he barely attend his class. He told him to save his number just in case he missed the topics. He also reminded him that his classes are worth attending. Ryeowook doesn’t know the man really well either, let talk. Out of all teachers he got along with he only have Mr. Cho’s phone number, who he only know by name.

“I have no choice.”

Ryeowook closed his eyes before pressing call.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

No sound. Ryeowook looked at the screen only to see the call is on-going.

It worked! He pressed his phone on his ears again, waiting for the other line to speak but he heard nothing. Is the other doing the same? Is that why it’s all quiet?

“H-hello?”

“Who is this?”

“It’s…Kim…R-Ryeowook.”

The other line went quiet again. Right, Mr. Cho must be thinking where the heck I got his number. Great job Ryeowook, you call him suddenly when you barely attend his class at all, he thought. “I…I don’t know if this is appropriate to ask but I…I need help. S-Someone is following me on my way home. He’s still watching me close.” Ryeowook tried to sound calm but the tremble in his voice is clear to the other line. “I can’t contact the others –”

“Where are you?”

“Convenience store at Bell Park.”

“Stay there.”

The line went off. Ryeowook sighed in relieve. He doesn’t know how long he stood there but every time someone comes in he thought its Mr. Cho. When he really came Ryeowook smiled at ease. Strangely just having his presence didn’t make him feel scared anymore.

Ryeowook’s about to greet the man when he’s pulled close, their hands intertwined as he’s walked outside of store. His eyes are laid on their locked hands that in some way fit each other despite the size. This is the first time he sees him this close. He felt small.

“What’s this? Who are you?” The guy asked Kyuhyun who just went straight to him.

“I heard you’ve been following him. Get out of our sight before I report you to the police.” This is the first time he heard him this clear.

“You dare to?” The guy takes out the knife he hid and immediately slashes Ryeowook’s neck with the tip, creating a short scratch mark but evident enough since small amount of blood comes out. Some who saw the sudden commotion screamed in fear while some just watched cautiously.

“Ryeowook ah–! “

“Mr. Cho, look out!”

Kyuhyun was quick enough to hold the knife in his hand when the guy’s about to stab him. Ryeowook gasps as he sees blood dripping from the teacher’s hand. The sight does form tears in his eyes and the next thing he knows he’s crying silently. With a slight wince, Kyuhyun throws the knife to the ground before taking the guy on the collar and giving him a hard punch.

The police came and they were brought to the hospital due to Kyuhyun’s injury and later on to police station. Questionings were made and Kyuhyun explained everything as he could. Ryeowook sat there – white bandage covering most part of his neck – trying to hold his tears from coming out but when he remembered the moment Kyuhyun injured his hand, bit of tears stroll down his cheeks again.

“Hey.”

Ryeowook look up and see Kyuhyun offering a brown handkerchief with his bandaged hand.

“Are you alright now?” Kyuhyun asked calmly, his kind gaze fixed on Ryeowook’s.

“I’m alright, are you?” Ryeowook bit his lower lip; feeling mad at himself.

“Better.”

Ryeowook accepts the handkerchief, ducking his head and begin to cry.

“Y-your hand... I’m sorry… If I…If only I didn’t call you today you wouldn’t get hurt.” He sobbed; his tears are clouding his sight. He isn’t crying because he’s still scared or that he’s in pain because of his injured neck. He should’ve worried about himself but,

Kyuhyun is injured.

Crying whenever he sees someone injured is a habit he discovered since he was young. It was weird for him while others find it quite amusing. Uncle Heechul would laugh whenever he sees that.

“Everything’s alright now.” Kyuhyun assured; couldn’t help but smile at the sight. “I should be the one sorry. He got you. I should’ve known what he’s planning.”

Ryeowook wiped his tears with the handkerchief; sighing and heaves a soft smile. “Thank you for saving me back there.” He never thought his voice would be so rich, not too deep but sweet like honey. Somehow it felt familiar that it tugs his chest. What is this strange feeling? His presence, warm touch, kind gaze and soothing voice like lullaby to his ears – Everything about Kyuhyun is no doubt familiar.

It’s as if…

“Kyu…Hyung?” Ryeowook murmured under his breath, touching the ring necklace hidden beneath his uniform.

He’s always aware they got the same name but that can’t be him, right?

“You heard me, Ryeowook-ssi?”

“O-Oh? Did you say something?” Ryeowook blinked. “Sorry I didn’t hear that.”

“I don’t think we should stay here any longer. Let’s go. I’ll take you home.”

During the drive Ryeowook lead the way to his house. They didn’t talk much after that. He simply thanked the man as he leaves the car. Without further ado he walks inside his house and find his uncle pacing back and forth with a deep frown on his face. Ryeowook smiled sadly. He just made his uncle extremely worried; something he swore not to do. It looks like his uncle just got home from work. The sound of door closing gained attention from the older man and Ryeowook, without a word to say wraps his arms around him while murmuring an apology.

“Look at you.” Heechul examined his nephew’s wound that’s already wrapped by bandage.

“I’m okay, uncle.”

“You’re not okay.” He sighed, “I heard everything from the police. I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you.”

That night Ryeowook went to sleep earlier than any nights.

The next day just as he came back from council room and places his bag on his desk at classroom, he saw almost everyone staring between him and their phone, as if watching something important. It’s not an unusual thing to see however when he slightly caught worry faces being pointed at him and whispers that reached his ears, his curiosity arises.

The class president, Jongin made an approach to him, concerns are written on his face. Others did the same and one of them hand their phone to him – pressing the play button on screen. Confused, Ryeowook then watches what’s given.

“How…”

Apparently someone recorded what happened yesterday.

“This video is posted at our school forum this morning.” One of them said. Others nodded.

“What a ruckus that was…” Jongin sighed, “I think almost everyone here seen that. Are you alright, Ryeowook? I hope that guy gets the punishment he deserves. It looks like Mr. Cho is injured too.”

“He is!” The girl argued, replaying the scene when their homeroom held the knife. “I still can’t believe he did that! But he saved you Wookie, that’s really cool though!”

“Y-Yeah.” Ryeowook said hesitantly, still speechless that everyone already knows. Not long after that Donghae and Hyukjae came and asks him questions regarding yesterday night. The first thing Hyukjae saw after waking up was a video of Ryeowook and their homeroom facing a crazy guy who attacked them posted on school’s forum. It became number one topic. In some part they feel at blame. If only they walked Ryeowook home that night.

After the small talk others went back to their seat. Ryeowook tell Donghae and Hyukjae everything what happened.

“How are you feeling now?” Hyukjae asked.

“I’m fine now.”

“Glad to hear that but this is really frustrating.” Donghae growled. “It’s a good thing Mr. Cho was there with you.”

“How was he there anyway?” Hyukjae probed while looking at Ryeowook’s bandaged neck. He winched mentally.

“I called him.”

“What? You have his number?” Hyukjae raised an eyebrow.

“I gave the number.” Donghae replied instead. “Wook, sorry I wasn’t able to answer your call yesterday. Family dinner.”

“Well, I think he called everyone in his contact list.” Hyukjae smiled in apology. “From now, let’s take Ryeowook home together. Always.”

“Of course, I’m cool with that.” Donghae agreed profoundly.

To which, Ryeowook only smiled at his overprotective best friends but it momentarily erased when an unexpected thought crossed his mind.

“Hyuk, Hae. Say… What if you meet someone who has the same name with that someone you know you haven’t met for seven years? Would you think they’re the same person or maybe, they just coincidentally have the same name?” Ryeowook asked his friends, referring to Kyuhyun. Over the time as he contemplated, he thinks they may be the same person. Chances could be 50-50.

“Both.” Donghae confidently said. “To make sure, it wouldn’t be bad to ask that person directly.”

“Hmm…Is this about you, Wook?” Hyukjae interests, receiving a nod from the latter. “Your childhood friend? How about picture, do you have it? It’s easier to recognize that someone from picture.”

The class’s attention is shifted to their homeroom figure that just walked inside their classroom. Some murmured a compliment and give him a look of admiration.

“I don’t have his picture.” Ryeowook said as he stares at that person who saved him that night. For a few days he tried searching but couldn’t find any. Their eyes locked, just like the day on their first encounter though at this moment they have different look on their faces. Kyuhyun give a small smile, as if making sure whether Ryeowook is feeling alright. The brown haired boy does the same in gratitude.

“Understandable, seven years ago you were eight years old.” Hyukjae shrugged, not noticing the look on Ryeowook. Yet…

Donghae secretly does – he was quick enough to catch where those alluring brown eyes are looking.