Dancing in the moonlight alone

Normal In Our Own Way

Authors note: Hi. Sorry for the long wait, I'm just so busy with college that I rarely have time to write. But I don't plan on abandoning this fic. I'm even planning a plot.It might take a while but I'll try to finish it. Also, the title of the chapter is from WayV's Nectar lyrics just because. Happy New Year everyone! 💖

 

 

 

Donghyuck stares at his outfit in the mirror for ten minutes.

 

"Does this shirt look okay?",he asked uncertainly at Jeno. The boys were hanging out in Donghyuck's room. Jeno was lounging on Donghyuck's bed while Donghyuck was busy looking for something to wear because Jaemin had apparently coaxed him, Chenle and Renjun into a night of clubbing and getting wasted. 

 

Donghyuck was fine by it honestly. Given their jobs,they haven't had a chance to just let go and have fun in a long time. Renjun and Chenle must've thought the same thing when they both agreed instantly. They couldn't bring Jisung however,due to him being underage. Donghyuck doesn't think he minds it though, the boy seemed content to have some quiet time at home finally. Jeno however, is a different story.

 

"I think you look good",Jeno's complimented him.

 

"You think so?",he asked uncertainly. The boy sitting on the bed only hummed but the way he was looking at Donghyuck made him feel like he was he's wearing a thousand dollar suit instead of just a bright red jacket and a white shirt underneath. Even the way he compliments Donghyuck sounds so genuine.

 

Jeno pouts at this, "You look good in anything, Hyuck. Well,to me at least"

 

The tanned boy could see from the mirror how Jeno seemed to be turning a little red as he tries to avoid any eye contact. A smile appeared on Donghyuck's face, "Awww, really Jen? Thank you. It's a shame you're not going to see me in it for too long. Unless you change your mind...",he trailed off 

 

Jeno shook his head apologetically, "No thanks. I don't wanna go"

 

"You sure?"

 

"Yeah. I'll stay home with Jisung", Jeno assured him. Seems like he already made up his mind about this. It's expected though, Jeno was never the partying type, more comfortable in his quiet room than socializing with people.

 

If Jeno doesn't want to then that's his choice.

 

"Hyuck!", Renjun called out from outside, "Are you done?"

 

"Just a minute!", he replied, touching up his eye makeup one last time. After carefully finishing his makeup, he turned towards Jeno again, "How do I look?"

 

Instead of answering, the other boy wordlessly moved closer to him untill they were only inches apart. The tanned boy wanted to say something, anything to break the silence and the weird tension it brought but nothing could come out when Jeno brought his hand up to Donghyuck's hair, fixing some tangled strands and pushing some of it away from Donghyuck's eyes. He couldn't find it in himself to look away from Jeno's eyes. There was just something about them that felt comfortable and safe.

 

Before Donghyuck was able to say something, Jeno backed away and the warmth from his hand on his hair was gone. "There, done. You look pretty", Jeno said, so quiet it was almost a whisper. As if Donghyuck was the only one meant to hear it. 

 

Something churned in the tanned boy's stomach, something unpleasant and unwelcomed. He didn't like it one bit.

 

"Thanks",he replied. He didn't like how his voice sounded closed off. Jeno had been nothing but nice to him. But Donghyuck couldn't bare getting too close to him. He hates the mushy feelings he gets, hates the way Jeno looks at him like he hung the stars, hates that he can't seem to push Jeno aside no matter how much he tried. He hates it all. 

 

"Hyuck!" ,Renjun called again.

 

"Coming!", he walked past Jeno, mumbling a 'see you later' at him before closing the door.

 

"Hey Hyuck", Chenle pirked up when they were in the car, "what do you think about dating an NCT member?"

 

Donghyuck whipped his head to face him, " why so suddenly?"

 

Chenle seemed impatient, "Just answer the question"

 

"Well", he took some time to think, "It will never happen"

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I grew up with you guys, you're all like family to me"

 

"But it's not like we're biological siblings or anything", Renjun snorted.

 

"True, but what if, let's say I dated one of you. And then it doesn't work out and we break up. Imagine how awkward it's going to be when we have missions together. I might as well throw off the whole team dynamic", Donghyuck said what was on his mind, "and what if we can't go back to being family anymore? I...", he said in a quieter tone, "I don't think I can handle that"

 

Suddenly the car floor seems more interesting to look at.

 

"Hyuck?",Renjun called him softly, "Look at me"

 

Donghyuck hesitantly met with Renjun's eyes.

 

"That will never happen". Donghyuck frowns at this, "You don't know that"

 

"Anyways!", Chenle interrupted after sensing the somber mood, the shiny rings on his fingers clinking loudly, "we're almost to the club. Let's just forget everything for tonight, okay?"

 

The tanned boy hoped so. He needed to get his mind off Jeno.

.......

 

Donghyuck took another sip of his drink. His cheeks are a bit flushed and his head felt buzzed from the amount of alcohol. As drunk as he is however, Donghyuck could still feel eyes watching him from afar. He looked around and found out that his instincts were correct. A boy was looking at him,not too discreetly he might add. Feeling brave, he gestured at the boy to come closer. The boy obliged albeit looking a little shy.

 

As the boy came closer, Donghyuck could make out that the boy was way taller than him, and he was quite good looking too. 

 

Donghyuck put on his most charming smile,"Hi! I noticed you were staring at me?"

 

The tall boy blushed prettily, "No"

 

Donghyuck giggled at the tall boy seemed to be shyly avoiding his eyes, "You're cute. My name is Haechan". He's not allowed to give his own name to anyone unfortunately. "What's yours?"

 

The tall boy's eyes sparkled. He looked like a deer. An adorable one, his drunk self supplied.

 

"Sungchan. Jung Sungchan"