Sick days with you

Normal In Our Own Way

Author's note: Punch 1st win!!

 

The walk to the Dreamies' apartment complex was only a few minutes away but to Donghyuck, it felt like hours. It didn't help that his body was swaying as he walk. His head was spinning even though he was only walking straight ahead, his body aching and feeling a bit warmer than usual. He even felt like passing out right on the sidewalk. That's not a good sign.

 

He glanced at his watch. It was currently 2 a.m. which means no taxis are available. 

 

Oh well. He's almost there anyways.

 

How Donghyuck couldn't wait to reunite with his bed and sleep for at least ten hours. It's been two days since he last slept and he's completely exhausted from that latest assignment in Macau. And it wasn't just the assignment. The plane trip back had also given him and the rest of the Unit 127 members headaches. You think after coming back from a grueling mission that consisted of heavy armery and little to no sleep,you would be rewarded with a first class flight experience but no, of course not because it's protocol they said. Easier to blend in they said. 

 

What a load of crap. The government could've just tell them the truth that they don't want to waste money on their agent's comfort.

 

So instead,they had to sit in the good ol' economy class where you will be provided with no leg room nor hot towels. Plus,the flight was so bumpy due to turbulence that none of the eight members could get a decent nap without getting jolted awake by a sudden shake. 

 

Fortunately,the aircraft landed safely and they were immediately sent home by another agent assigned to pick them up. But Donghyuck,in his idiotic self, had declined the offer in favour of going to the convenience store to buy his favourite late-night snack only to find out the freaking store ran out of it and didn't bother to stock up some more. He went to another store and unfortunately for him,they were also sold out there. Giving up,he decided to head home empty handed.

 

That was when the headaches started. At first,they were just that, headaches. Then,he felt his body shivering from the cold night air while his insides felt like burning. 

 

Just a little bit more, he assured himself.

 

It felt like forever to Donghyuck when he finally reached the building. He heaved a long and tired sigh. It's been a long day after all. And now that he had finally approached the building,he almost cried. Just a little bit more and he wouldn't have to worry about unexpectedly passing out on the sidewalk.

 

Not wasting any time, the tanned boy went up the elevator and arrived at his floor where he would have to walk on the long hallway to reach a certain door. And when he did, it felt like reaching the light at the end of a tunnel. He sighed in relief.

 

I'm home. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

 

Dialling the passcode  easy,he doesn't need to see the number pad to know what he was pressing. The lock let out a small beep to signal the door was unlocked then with a push on the door handle, the door opened and he was met with light pouring into his eyes, putting another headache. The sudden brightness made him squint his eyes as he entered and close the door behind him.

 

His eyes took a few seconds to adjust, when it did though, he realised two figures,well actually one of them, was looking at him from the kitchen, Jaemin and Jisung. Jaemin was cooking something on the stove but stop to look at the newcomer while the youngest sat at the kitchen counter, playing a game on his phone. He didn't spare Donghyuck a single glance, that brat.

 

"Hyuckie!", Jaemin said cheerfully, he looked happy to see him, unlike someone"We've missed you. It's been what? A month?"

 

Donghyuck nodded. It's been a month since he last saw the Dream unit. He couldn't deny the fact that he missed them too. Although he would never say it out loud.

 

The throbbing in his head grew more and more painful in Donghyuck's head. He groaned while using one hand to massage his temples. 

 

Jaemin frowned upon seeing the action, "Are you sick?"

 

Donghyuck stretched the corners of his lips, trying to smile but it ended up looking like a grimace. "No, I don't think so? It's just a little headache. I'll be okay once I get some rest"

 

Jaemin, although seemed hesitant, nodded in understanding, "Okay,get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow morning then. Good night"

 

"Good night Jaem", he said before heading to his room,falling head-first on his bed as soon as the door closed behind him. The regret unfortunately came a little after the impact of the pillow on his head caused a wave of dizziness to his head. His vision swirled for a second. A pained groan left his lips as he waited for the dizziness to stop and for his vision to come back to normal. When it did, Donghyuck relaxed. With nothing else to do,he pulled the blankets on top of him, close his eyes and hoped that tomorrow, the headaches would stop.

 

Except It didn't.

 

When Donghyuck woke up that morning,it wasn't because Jaemin had yelled at his ear to wake up, nor was it the sudden shake on his shoulder. It was a new pounding headache,one more dizzying than last night's. 

 

"Wake up, love!  It's a beautiful day!",Jaemin pulled the curtains back to let the sunlight pour into the room. Donghyuck groaned in response. He pulled the blankets over his head to try and block some of the light from blinding his eyes.

 

"I don't feel good", he said, his voice groggy from having just woke up. 

 

There was a short silence before he felt the bed dipped on the side. Jaemin must've settled there, he thought to himself. But he couldn't really see what the other was feeling from underneath the covers. He was about to guess when he felt the covers being pulled away from his face. Jaemin was looking down at him with a worried expression, his hand immediately on Donghyuck's forehead to feel his temperature.

 

"You're burning up. Must be a fever",he said quietly. His eyebrows were scrunched together, making lines appear on his forehead. He seemed pretty worried about it,as if Donghyuck was diagnosed with a terminal disease and not something that everyone had at least once in their lives. 

 

But then again, we're talking about Jaemin here, aka the self-proclaimed mother of Dream. The guy loves dotting on other people, giving love and affection was only second nature to him. 

 

And Donghyuck wouldn't be Donghyuck if he doesn't take that as an opportunity. He jutted his bottom lip out to form a pout then whined, "Jaemin~"

 

If the other members heard him,they would be throwing up the breakfast by now. But they're not in his room with him,only Jaemin who smiled softly at him like a mother to a child, "what is it Hyuckie?"

 

Donghyuck pulled out his innocent look,the one the 127 hyungs were weak to, "I'm hungry"

 

Jaemin cooed, Donghyuck's hair gently to show his sympathy, "Alright, I'll go make something"

 

He then left the room to cook breakfast. Donghyuck smiled to himself, the act worked. But just when he was going to celebrate, the door opened again and Renjun,Jeno,Chenle and Jisung entered his room. They looked concerned for him. And by they, he meant only Jeno. The rest were supporting disinterested looks. 

 

"Look closely everyone. This is what happens when you insult a sick person",Renjun faced them before directing his attention back to Donghyuck smirking, "Karma is a , huh?"

 

Donghyuck rolled his eyes, "You're still not over that? I only made fun of your shoulder a few times"

 

"It was dislocated at that time!"

 

"I know, that's why I did that", Donghyuck said like it was the most simplest thing in the world. The tone made Renjun's left eye twitched slightly. He opened his mouth, about to say something far from nice when Jeno cut him, "Jaemin said you're unwell so we wanted to see how you're doing",he said, smiling sweetly.

 

"Aww, Jeno. Always so sweet and thoughtful", Donghyuck wiped a fake tear from his eyes because not even a fever can stop him from being his dramatic self, "You're too good for this world,really"

 

Renjun rolled his eyes when Jeno's ears turned red from embarrassment.

 

"We also came though?", Jisung piped,for once taking his eyes off his phone screen.

 

Renjun patted his back, "Forget it Jisung. He loves Jeno more than us"

 

Jeno's ears turned red in embarrassment, Donghyuck however, shook his head, "That's not true. I love Chenle the most..."

 

Jeno's shoulders deflate slightly.

 

Chenle grinned proudly, "Who doesn't?"

 

Donghyuck continues, "...and he loves me back"

 

"Yeah,no. I love Johnny hyung and Jaehyun hyung"

 

The sick boy gasped loudly and clutched the left side of his chest, "I'm hurt",he said in fake sadness, "What will it take for you to love me back?"

 

Renjun answered for the younger, "Maybe if you start acting more nicer, the kid would like you more"

 

Donghyuck glared at him, "Hey, I'm always nice!"

 

Immediately after the words left his mouth,he was hit by a series of coughs. Renjun stared at him in concern as Jeno moved to rub the tanned boy's back. The coughs went on for a solid thirty seconds before it died down and Donghyuck was left breathing heavily, head hung low making his eyes land on the phone lying beside him. His reflection on the black screen staring back at him.

 

Donghyuck looked worse than yesterday. His cheeks were sunken in and his eyes had turned dim,the light that was usually in them had disappeared. He was also trembling,as if it took all his energy just to speak, which it did.

 

"You need to get some rest,Hyuck", the oldest told him to which he nodded in agreement. When was the last time he took a break longer than half a day anyways?

 

He couldn't remember.

 

"Excuse me," all five boys turned their heads to the door where Jaemin was there, holding a tray of a bowl of porridge and a glass of water. There was an irritated expression on his face, "If the food on the table gets cold, you can only pray that I cook for you guys ever again",he warned.

 

Donghyuck watched amusingly as panic settled on each of his friends' faces before they scrambled out and closed the door behind them. The irritation on Jaemin's face disappeared. Instead,a satisfied smile took its place. He then moved to sit beside Donghyuck's bed, the tray settled on the nightstand.

 

Donghyuck ignored the pounding in his head to narrow his eyes at him, "You don't actually mean that,do you?"

 

"Hah! Of course not. None of you can survive without me in this house"

 

It's true. Even though Renjun and Chenle can cook, their skills are only limited to hot pot and ramen. Donghyuck can only do simple dishes and don't even get him started with Jeno and Jisung. 

 

That being said, they would all probably die without Jaemin keeping them fully nourished and healthy.

 

"Say ahh"

 

Donghyuck's thoughts were interrupted when a spoon was hovering in front of his lips. If it was anyone else,they would be embarrassed as hell at the fact that they needed someone to feed them, but this was Donghyuck. The boy loves attention and affectionate gestures the most and is the type that will not give up until he gets what he wants. So instead of shying away, Donghyuck embraced it fully. 

 

Jaemin smiled,so bright and blinding that for a second, Donghyuck forgot to swallow the porridge in his mouth.

 

"Are you still chewing?",Jaemin asked,a second spoonful of porridge waiting in front of Donghyuck's mouth. The tanned boy quickly swallowed, allowing Jaemin to continue spoonfeeding him again and again until the bowl had gone empty. His friend put the bowl back on the tray and went to reach two small white things that Donghyuck hadn't noticed was there before. His expression paled slightly when he realised what it was,medicine pills.

 

"I don't want that",he whined. Perhaps the fever and the headache had done something to his pride because suddenly he's becoming more whiny and clingy. Whatever. As long he doesn't have to swallow the bitter medicine.

 

Jaemin dropped the pills on his palms and gestured for Donghyuck to take them,  "I know it taste bad but you need this to get better", his voice was gentle when he says this.

 

However,Donghyuck shook his head, "Nooo~"

 

"Please?",he pleaded, "For me?"

 

Donghyuck hesitated a little, staring at the two colourful pills in front of him for a second before popping them into his mouth, accompanied by a glass of water. He swallowed them forcefully, making Jaemin smile that dazzling smile of his while petting his hair softly. The action felt comforting to Donghyuck as it lulled him to sleep, his eyes getting droopy as he laid back down.

 

Jaemin chuckled at this. His hand on Donghyuck's head was removed to pick up the tray on the nightstand and Donghyuck couldn't help the pout forming on his lips. Jaemin cooed at him before taking the tray with him and went out of the room to let his sick friend sleep.

 

.......

 

"Jaaeeemiiin~"

 

Jaemin was quick to his aid, "What's wrong?"

 

Donghyuck looked at him with his sad puppy eyes, "I'm cold. Can I have more blankets?"

 

He was then given three more extra blankets.

 

.......

"Jaaeeemiiin~, can you turn on the air conditioner? It's too hot"

 

He turned it on.

 

Jisung frowned from the corner.

.......

 

"Jaaeeemiiin~"

 

Jaemin sighed tiredly but still went to stand beside Donghyuck's bedside, "Yes, Hyuckie?"

 

"I want water. My throat is dry from all the coughing"

 

Jaemin smiled, "In a minute"

 

Donghyuck got his water after that.

 

"Is there anything else you need?"

 

Donghyuck shook his head.

 

"Okay,then",Jaemin nodded, " I'm called for another mission so I'll be back by tonight."

 

Donghyuck shot his head at his direction, his eyes wide, "you're leaving me?"

 

Jaemin smiled apologetically, "Sorry, Hyuckie but they need a sniper on this one. And the chief asked for me. It's out of my hands"

 

"Taeyong did?", the tanned boy's shoulders sagged. If their chief had asked for Jaemin then there's nothing he could do. 

 

Jaemin patted his shoulder to try console him, "I'll be back later. In the meantime, the others can keep you company"

 

Donghyuck had no choice but to let Jaemin go on the mission, "Okay...but hurry back! I don't know what to do if they somehow turn the apartment upside down"

 

"Pretty sure that won't happen but okay",he said while adjusting his jacket, " And by the way, I told Renjun to take care of you in my place"

 

"Okay",he grinned, "see you tonight"

 

This is going to be fun.

 

.......

 

"Renjuuuun~"

 

"What?"

 

"I'm hungry...",he said, pouting for extra effect.

 

Renjun sighed, "Fine, I'll make something"

 

Donghyuck giggled to himself when Renjun went to the kitchen.

 

.......

 

"Renjuuuun~"

 

"What now?"

 

Donghyuck sniffed, "Get me a box of tissues?"

 

Renjun gritted his teeth. He mumbled something that sounded like "why don't you go get it yourself?"

 

Donghyuck, although he heard it, smiled sweetly at him. Knowing fully well that Renjun couldn't attack him in this state,he decided to taunt the boy, "What was that?"

 

The sick boy almost laughed with the way his friend was taking long heavy breaths as a way to calm himself down. It was only when his breathing went back to normal did he force a smile back at Donghyuck.

 

"Nothing. I'll go get it"

 

......

 

"Lee Donghyuck, you're so dead!"

 

Renjun yelled at him while trying to claw away from Jeno's grip. His red face was evidence enough that the boy was furious. 

 

Donghyuck stuck his tongue out, because watching Renjun getting mad is amusing and adorable to him and Chenle who was watching the scene while laughing his off.

 

 "Come and get me!", the tanned boy taunted, making Renjun trashed harder in Jeno's hold.

 

"Don't do it, He's sick and Jaemin will kill you if you do something to him!",Jeno tried to reason. However, his words fell to deaf ears when the small boy responded with an "I don't care! This brat needs to be taught a lesson!"

 

It made Donghyuck laughed because what can he say? Making Renjun angry is his joy in life and vice versa. It may seemed odd to outsiders but this was actually how their relationship worked. Years of pissing each other off never damaged their relationship. In fact,it was what made their bond stronger.

 

A pillow was thrown to his face by a livid Renjun, completely interrupted his thoughts. But that's okay cause that only meant the fight was getting ugly.

 

And Donghyuck loved playing it ugly.

.......

 

The clock struck twelve when Jaemin arrived home. He was definitely tired, his muscles felt sore after getting involved in a fist fight. How was he supposed to know that the enemy had followed him?

 

What resulted from that were sore muscles, a bad limp and the need to rest.

 

But first, he needed to check in with Donghyuck. The boy had been bothering his thoughts all day. Thoughts like 'Is he doing okay?' and 'Is he taking his meds on time?' had infiltrated his mind to no end. He was worried sick, causing the minor slip up of almost missing his shot.

 

Jaemin knocked softly on Donghyuck's door. He waited a while but when there was no response, he let himself in quietly. What awaited him was the most adorable view he had ever seen (not as adorable as Jisung but still adorable).

 

It was the view of Donghyuck and Renjun,fast asleep under the same bed. The covers were fully on Donghyuck but Renjun had one hand gripping it in his sleep, as if a tug-of-war had happened for the single blanket. They both seemed peacefully asleep.

 

Not wanting to wake them,Jaemin quietly went to get his camera from his nightstand. He grabbed it then went back to Donghyuck's room. It took a lot for him to not squeal as he took some pictures.

 

At that moment,a frowning Jeno appeared at the doorway. 

 

"They were messing around with each other again",he whispered.Jaemin smiled, "As usual. How about Donghyuck's fever?"

 

Jeno nodded, "It's gone now"

 

Jaemin took a couple more photos before he was finally satisfied with them. He lowered the camera to look at the two clearly. His efforts of trying not to melt was failing, " This is too cute, I'm gonna die"

 

Jeno was about to disagree when he glanced at the sleeping boys. Unconsciously, a small smile formed on his face, " I guess it's kinda cute"

 

Author's note: Sorry, this one was kinda rushed.