Home is where the heart lies

Normal In Our Own Way

I don't understand any of this, Jisung thought as he stared blankly at the blackboard in front of him. The English phrases written on it seemed to be making Jisung even more bored than usual.

 

Currently,he and Chenle were having one of their private classes in one of the empty meeting rooms of NCT's building. It's like school but it's only him and Chenle because they were the only two youngest  agents in the agency.This was supposedly an idea chipped from Lee Taeyong, the head of the NCT intelligence agency himself,so that the younger agents could have an academic opportunity even if they become an agent.It was a thoughtful idea indeed,but at the moment, Jisung who is driven with boredom,is questioning its purpose.

 

"I don't understand!", the youngest exclaimed in frustration, gaining the attention of the agent in charge of teaching in all their English lessons, agent 0902 also known as Johnny Seo and Chenle who had been fixated on the lesson until his friend beside him decided to speak up.

 

"Which part you don't understand? The past tense?",he asked, thinking Jisung was having trouble with the exercise given to them.

 

"It's not that.Well, actually it's also that but I meant the purpose of all of this",he made big gestures with his hands to signal that he's talking about the class, "I don't understand why we're doing these private classes. It's not like Chenle and I could go to college"

 

Johnny sighed,as if he'd explained this too many times already, which he had, "Well, it's true that you two will not be able to attend college, but this is why Taeyong started this,so that you two wouldn't fall behind in education",he added as an afterthought, "or become dumb agents", the older joked.

 

Before Jisung could comment,Chenle gasped, "Hey,I'm not a dumb agent!"

 

Johnny smiled fondly and ruffled Chenle's hair like a loving parent, "No you're not.You're the most brightest student I ever had". Chenle giggled, clearly enjoying the affectionate gesture and the praise he just received.Sitting beside him,Jisung gave them the stank eye, "we're the only students you ever had,hyung",he stated.

 

"Shut up,you already have Jaemin hyung. Let me have this",Chenle said while leaning his head closer towards Johnny's hand on his head.For a while,Johnny continued to babying Chenle who's smile became wider and wider at each compliment. Meanwhile,Jisung sat there and look on their interactions disapprovingly, "You guys are embarrassing"

 

At this, Johnny smirked at him, "C'mon, let's be honest Jisung,you like being dotted by Jaemin".Jisung glared at the older, aware that his ears are turning red,"I do not"

 

"Sure, whatever you say Sungie"

 

Chenle seemed comfortable snuggling in Johnny's big arms.To say that they were close was an understatement.Their relationship goes way back to the first day Chenle joined NCT,all scrawny and quiet. However,who would've thought behind the timid demeanor was a boy with a blinding smile and a very loud laugh.Pretty soon,Chenle became close with all the agents in NCT due to his cheerful personality and his child-like curiosity capturing everyone's hearts.

 

Jisung on the other hand,was a shy child.Never stayed with the big hyungs for too long as he was terrified of socialising with others,in fear of saying something wrong.Because of this,Jisung only stayed close to Taeyong,who always encouraged him to be more open with others.He did try to be more open,he really did but everytime he felt eyes staring at him,he would recoil back and lose all confidence.

 

For years, Jisung never made any attempt of talking to others. He was part of NCT but you will always find him silently listening if one of the hyungs were talking or at the back of the crowd by himself.He was lonely.In need of a friend or at least someone he can casually start a conversation with.He's seen the hyungs try though,one by one they approach him and try to bring up random topics just to get him more comfortable in talking to them.And he is grateful to them for trying to help him but his anxiety always keeps getting in the way.

 

That was until Jaemin came.With his soft eyes and pretty smile,he managed to pull Jisung out of his lonely hole.It was news to everyone but none of them were actually surprised.Jaemin was known to have a big heart, always concerned of others' well-being.That includes Jisung,who Jaemin seem to developed an overprotective nature towards.

 

"Hyung's hugs are the best",Chenle said to Johnny, causing Jisung to wake up from his thoughts. He processed the sentence for a moment before frowning,'Wrong', he thought, Jaemin's hugs are the best'

 

~~~~~~

Jeno runs and runs.

 

Behind him, multiple gunshots rang.By instinct,he dropped to the ground when one of the golden bullets whizzed past him,just a few inches from his head causing the hair behind his neck stand.

 

At the moment,he was unarmed, completely stripped of any weapons because that was how cruel this job can be.In order to prepare himself for any dangerous situation,he needed to know how to adapt in helpless situations ,how to fight against firearms without any weapon of his own and claw his way to survive with only his bare hands.

 

The man continued to shoot, this time at Jeno's left where a tall shelf was falling.So that was the plan, trapping Jeno like a cat trapping a mouse so that he could deliver the final blow. Not a chance, Jeno thought.As the shelf was about to fall on him,Jeno put both his hands on the shelf to try to push it back up.Thankfully, the hours he spent to make himself more muscular had been worth it as he was able to withstand the shelf's weight and push it up and let it fall backwards,right on the man who fell down due to the impact.Jeno took advantage of the situation by quickly pinning him down and twist the man's hand that was holding the gun.The pain shooting up his arm was enough to make him groan in pain and slack his grip on the gun.Noticing this,Jeno yanked it out of the man's hand before pointing it at his head. 

"So how did I do,hyung?",Jeno asked him. The man, agent 2610,also known as Yuta, smiled in approval, "Not bad,kiddo."

 

Jeno grinned.

 

As the two got up and exited the training grounds,Renjun,Jaemin and Donghyuck were outside waiting for them. They had been watching him with proud looks after their one-on-one session with Yuta.

 

Usually after an intense training, the boys would huddle up and comfort each other no matter if one of them has succeeded or failed.This time was no different as Jaemin pulled them all in for a group hug,the action warming up Jeno's heart and melting it.Sure, they betting lives on this job but Jeno wouldn't trade this life for another.Not when his family is here, together and strong, unbreakable amidst the chaos their lives bring,like a rock that stays still even after being hit with wave after wave.

 

"Looks fun. Can I join?",asked Yuta after watching them from the side for a while,his arms outstretched.The group dispersed and Donghyuck answered, "sorry hyung,unit dream members only",he poked out his tongue at the older man cheekily.

 

"Yah! You brat!"

 

Yuta moved to smack Donghyuck in the head but the younger was quicker to avoid by hiding behind Jeno's large frame, effectively using him as a shield against Yuta's attack.

 

Not giving up,Yuta continued to try and attack Donghyuck who now held Jeno's large frame from behind tightly like a back hug.Jeno stilled from the touch.

 

Suddenly,Donghyuck's expression changed to suspicion, "Wait a minute...",he said, his sudden change of tone caught Yuta's attention.He immediately stopped what he was doing.

 

The tanned boy moved so that he would be standing directly in front of Jeno.He eyed him suspiciously.Before Jeno could ask what was wrong, the tanned boy reached a hand out to tug at Jeno's collar then craned his neck to the side before bringing his head closer to Jeno's neck.As if Jeno wasn't already flustered, the tanned boy closed his eyes and breathes in, taking a whiff of his scent.  Jeno could feel his knees going weak when he realised how close their proximity is,with Donghyuck's mouth hovering right above Jeno's neck.

 

He panicked.When one is panicking,the first thing they should do is try to breathe slowly.So Jeno does exactly that.Except that it didn't help him,in fact made it worse because when he breathed in, he could smell Donghyuck's hair, which smelled like fresh citrus.

 

Fortunately, Donghyuck moved away from Jeno before he could do anything remotely embarrassing.Jeno relaxed a bit.Beside them,Yuta,Jaemin and Renjun giggled like high school girls, enjoyed watching Jeno's struggle.

 

"Why are you wearing my perfume?",he asked Jeno.Forget calmness,Jeno might as well run a marathon with how his heart jumped out of his throat. "Umm,I-"

Suddenly, the doors were thrown open and with it was a loud shrill voice, "We're here!" followed by a different,quieter voice, "They can already hear us, Chenle"

 

"Chenle! How was classes?",Jeno quickly diverted everyone's attention to them, thankful for the distraction.

 

"Well,Jisung complained about it then Johnny hyung praised me and said I was his favourite student",he replied proudly.Then,he turned to Yuta, "So are we gonna start our training or what?"

 

Yuta loaded his gun with practiced ease, "Do you want the easy level or the hard level?"

 

Chenle smiled, eyes shining with mischief, "Hyung,when have I ever taken the easy level?".Yuta smirked, "Fair enough",he said before heading back into the training grounds,Chenle following close behind.

 

The five members of unit Dream watched as Chenle avoided every bullet with agile movements from behind the bulletproof wall of glass.Since everyone was paying attention to the show,Jisung took this opportunity to give Jaemin a side hug,which caught the older off guard before reciprocating it. Jaemin looked at him in confusion and worry, "What's wrong?"

Jisung shooked his head, "Nothing,just wanted to prove Chenle wrong"

 

 

​​​