Chapter Ten—

Succinctly

 

 It’s all over, the runaway and Miki’s taken on court for the final trial of when her corporal punishment would be decided.

 

It has been two months since Taemin has talked to her, even when they see each other every day at the police station. Without him by her side, without her fear of being caught, she’s lonely as ever, wanting that sweet boy to talk to her. She regrets that she has ever thought of him as a burden when he literally broke a law and brought her out of the jail, knowing that she’s also a victim.

 

“Hey.” She would whisper when she passes him quietly. Day by day, Taemin would slowly look directly at her face with those beautiful eyes. Sometimes, he would have anger in his eyes, sometimes sadness, and sometimes hollowness, but never happiness. She hasn’t seen it for a long time.

 

To her, the happiest times all her life was when she was running away with Taemin. The ride on the motorcycle with his arms wrapping around her waist, the time they spend in China…It was one of the happiest moments, because…she simply can’t help but know that…she’s in love with him.

 

Today, Miki stand in the middle of the large court, with various people watching, with the dead man’s family giving her the glares, with some witnesses shaking their head at the teenage girl and her actions of prejudice.

 

She gives up, lets them do whatever they want with her, she’s in no cause to say anything. The whole runaway has confirmed that she was really the one that did it. And throughout all the time, Miki wonders if she really killed someone with high heels?

 

It was weird that, as the judge talk, she pays no attention, blanking out and only thinking about the sneer on her sister Jiyeon’s face and Myungsoo’s smirk. Till now, she still can’t stand up to her sister after the talk with Myungsoo. Jiyeon knew that Miki stood up to her, and she’s made Miki’s life like hell at home.

 

“WAIT.” Suddenly someone shouts.

 

The judge ignores the voice and continues with the progress and course.

 

“I SAID WAIT.” The voice is louder now.

 

A person is standing beside Miki, he touches her shoulder and makes her face him. Taemin. She smiles lightly.

 

“She’s a victim. She’s not the culprit. Her twin sister is. After all the time, you guys can’t find out the real one? And because of your pride, you decide to let an innocent girl take on the punishment? That’s no justice, it’s not justice to the family at all, because Miki didn’t do it.” Taemin says loudly, pulling out keys to free Miki’s bruised hands. “After all this time, no one knows who the real enemy is; everything is just turning around in circles.”

 

“And for the first time, I don’t know what this court is all about.” Taemin laughs slyly. “I’m stupid to not have interfered with this earlier. When we could have.”

 

And with that, he takes her hand to run away. No one stopped them this time. As they ran, things got slower around them, sounds of confused people talking could be heard. They don’t understand anything. It’s not hard; everything is as succinctly as ever.

 

“Hey Taemin?” Miki asks.

 

“You thank me, I know.” He rolls his eyes.

 

“No,” she takes a deep breath, “I love you.”

 

“They’ll be coming after us. Where should we go this time?” Taemin winks.

 

“I don’t know, somewhere where justice is.” Miki replies.

 

They gain speed as they run, and finally, they stop somewhere bright, someone where the sun is always bright. They no longer fee l their body move, only watching blood splutter out of their mouth from somewhere down and down on earth…

 

“The only answer is heaven.” 

END