Chapter One—

Succinctly

 

Miki had curly dark brown locks, almost to the color of dark crimson. She sits crossed legged on a desk in the middle of a white room, her back as straight and upright as possible. She stares at the white wall in front of her; though she sees nothing and feels nothing in particular.

 

“What is that girl thinking?” Officer Lee mutters towards the rest of his crew.

 

“It seems as if she likes being shut out.” Officer Lee’s son, Taemin says. Miki and Taemin go to the same school; he often sees her training on the basketball team. She would wear high heels to the gym and exercise like that, getting murmurs from the other teammates about her ‘showing off’. Taemin pushes past the adults and gets to the front of the glass window, putting his hand on a button and speaking through the speaker. “We’re going to let you out now.”

 

The adults stare at Taemin. He pushes another button, letting an invisible white door open up from one of the walls in the white space. Taemin goes in and pulls Miki out; he’s dragging her out of the experiment room in the hospital and pulls her into an elevator, shutting out the adults that tried to cram into the platform.

 

“Why did you do that?” Miki asks.

 

“Because you were wronged. It was your twin sister right?” Taemin replies. He gives her a reassuring smile, telling her that he’s on her side. “I just don’t get why you want to cover for her.”

 

“You’re an annoying person.” She retorts.

 

“That’s what a friend is.”

 

“We’re not friends.”

 

“We might be.” Taemin touches her shoulder and she flinches under his touch.

 

“I’m a killer.” Miki tells him.

 

“To me, you’ve got bravery. If only things were that easy.” He hugs her, resting his chin on her bare shoulder. She’s still in the hospital clothes, only some undergarments and a thin robe, but she still steps out onto the cold snowy staircase, with the accompany of Taemin of course.

 

Ever since then, her life can’t be without him. Even if she doesn’t want him to get involved, the annoying Taemin would always be there. Everything’s that succinct.


Minho grips on Taemin’s wrist, preventing him from running away. Minho loves Taemin, the way an owner should love a loyal dog, but Minho doesn’t know if he can call Taemin loyal anymore. It hurt Minho that Taemin is leaving for a badass girl, a girl who killed somebody. Minho just doesn’t get it. He doesn’t get it one bit.

 

“Let go.” Taemin struggled. He has nothing against his hyung, but he just needed to leave. To keep Miki safe he keeps on telling himself. He feels that he needs to protect her from being cornered or left out.

 

That day when they left the hospital, Miki sort of had a from hiding too many secrets inside of her. He carried her home to her little apartment. He listened to her advice and took her high heels off. She said that she killed the poor innocent man with these high heels. Taemin thought it was silly, why would she kill him? But she insisted, so he stuffed the heels into her bag.

 

Taemin saw another side of her when he carried her. She was actually really quiet and shy. She was half asleep the whole walk. Sometimes, she would cry out and squeeze Taemin tightly. When he told her she was like every girl out there, delicate and fragile, she denied almost immediately, her body would also tense up. “Then, let’s just say you’re tired okay?” Taemin would whisper and she would relax again.

 

It has been two days and Taemin decided to take a leave from school and travel to the other side of the world with her. To help her find whatever she needs to. It doesn’t matter to him anyways, he already graduated and he’s only back in high school for another year to prepare himself for the university entrance exam again. He has a friend living in Japan and he’s determined to take Miki there with him.

 

“I’m going to leave whether you like it or not hyung.” Taemin tells Minho, pulling his wrist away and walking off. He learned to keep calm just like his officer dad whenever he finishes a case. Calm, determined and prideful is what his dad taught Taemin.

 

The next day, without any word, Taemin met up with Miki at school early in the morning. She was a little dreary, but more worried. She was afraid that her twin sister would find out about her running away and try to get her back. She only feels right when Taemin assured her that her sister wouldn’t do that. Miki has done enough for her twin sister already; it’s time for her sister to let her go. If her twin sister still insists to get her back, Taemin has proof that the murderer was Miki’s twin instead of Miki.

 

“One day, you’ll be just like your dad.” She praised him.

 

“I’m only stating the truth.” Taemin shrugs. He slips his large backpack over his shoulder and offers his other hand to carry Miki’s bags. She shook her head and followed him a few feet behind. She can do things by herself; she needs no one’s help. She has to maintain her coolness and distant herself from others, she can’t let anyone see her as a gentle and fragile person. It’s disgusting, her twin sister would say.

 

While they head out of the back door of the school, the sun was just about to rise; the sky was light orange, soft clouds danced, but a loud voice made Taemin stop in his tracks.

 

“You are both under arrest!” A very familiar voice shouted at them. The voice came from behind them and Taemin was sure the officer or detective would walk up beside them and hand cuff them. Taemin and Miki stand on the spot, their head both having the same thought.

 

Run.