I feel different when we are together

Above it all
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sight of the sun starting to come in sight.

Sana was the first to wake up, she didn't know when she slept but Mina was there when she turned to the side and glanced the other bed, sleeping peacefully.

She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep again so soon.

So Sana got up, quietly, noticing that it probably was really early even though she wasn't used with the new atmosphere yet.

The lack of vividness in the colors of the sun that came in sight tiredly sipping through the window reminded her of a rainy day back home.

She looked around the room, feeling heavy and strange of such a different experience.

'Another world.'

It then sank in her mind as she sat in the bed again, as she looked at Mina one more time.

'She looks so peaceful. Maybe she is having a good dream.'

Sana didn't want to stare but she did so, feeling a certain numbness on her desire to look away.

Mina suddenly turned to the other side, making Sana's thoughts fade as she got up again, not knowing from where to start.

...

Mina groaned when she felt that her arm had fallen asleep. She whined again when the first thing her eyes met was light. She was still so immersed in her dreams when her mind came up to where she was, realizing everything as the memories of the last days came back quickly. She looked around to the emptiness of the room.

'Where is Sana?' She asked herself.

So she got up, just then noticing the noises of falling water coming from the bathroom.

There was this thing in the room that she thought it was different, it called attention. It looked like a screen, maybe a television, much like the one Sana had in her apartment, the same rectangular shape but it was inside the wall, no wires came from it and it was wider and thinner, wrapped around a white frame. Maybe Mina was wrong and it was some sort of useless mirror because it had little to no reflection on its black visor. But she decided to touch the white frame as she stood in front of it and a series of blue marks started glowing as she pushed the first on and the screen lit up, showing what looked like a guide in vivid green colors.

Right then Sana opened the bathroom door. Mina turned around as Sana stared in awe to the screen .

"I imagined this was a TV but I didn't figure out how to turn it on." Sana said stepping closer, hands full of the clothes she was wearing before.

"I have never seen one like this but I figured out I guess" Mina said, reading what was written on the screen before touching an option and it started showing a channel.

"You're amazing, really." Sana said sitting on the bed to fix her luggage.

"Thank you" Mina said with a smile.

It looked like a cartoon what was passing on the television.

After a while, Sana focused on it trying to understand but Mina had another concern.

"What time should we leave?" She then asked.

"To Jihyo's right? After breakfast? Or lunch?" Sana said.

"After breakfast is fine." Mina said.

"I didn't order anything because I was waiting for you to wake up to know how it works and what you want"

"Did you wait for long?"

"Not really, I woke up I guess, two hours ago. I was playing on my cellphone though and took a nap and a shower." Sana said pointing to her cellphone connected to a power bank resting on the bedside furniture.

"Right" Mina said going in the direction of the small touchscreen that stood on a wall of the room. It was used to call the staff and room service. She glanced at the wall clock there.

"I'm going to ask for something for us to eat, then take a shower so we can leave" Mina said.

"Okay" Sana responded.

 

...

 

In contrast to the other night, the streets were full of people with a bit of different style of clothes and appearance, not all of them seemed to be of any part of Asia but a mixture between people from that world and people from the place Sana came from.

It was probably because the formation and population of that area was precisely increased when the portal to there was discovered in Sana's world, and that led to the people that lived where Sana is from to populate the area at the time. That also meant that some traditions bent together as for the language and some aspects of technology, however in the last point, Mina's world was more advanced with the insertion of the mystical and magical elements to the known craft.

There was something though that called Sana's attention more than the people did over there and it was the nature. She had already seen some of the flowers when visiting the shop the other night but at daylight, she could see the large trees at the distance, much bigger than she was used to have around cities and also with different colors such as morbid and as cheerful as the ones she knew.

It was also a big town, and if they looked attentively to the Northwest, they could notice the ends of a big castle decorating the sight.

Their walk was brief at least because Mina remembered Jihyo said for them to buy a cellphone there, she guessed it was for them to get in touch better. She was very surprised when she stepped on an electronics shop and saw how that technology evolved, so much from her time, even differentiating from the smartphone Sana gave her. The new ones were thin and resistant, to a point they could be easily put in a pocket but if they fell, they wouldn't break. It was basically a multifunctional screen, very different from a smartphone that had a rectangular shape, this one was first a perfect square but the lady of the shop showed them how to change forms and oh boy that was surprising, the screen was so flexible. It served as a message app, each one with a distinct ID and phone calls were longer abandoned, they preferred just to pull out a video call if they wanted to hear the person's voice or something. At least it came with a manual and their some sort of internet (that's another talk) was free to connect with other devices of the line but just for communications.

"I have to get one of these later but I guess I'll be confused." Sana said when they stepped out of the store. Mina now had her cellphone ID for other people to communicate with her.

"I don't even know but I guess I can figure out with time and you could as well." Mina said. Eyes fixated on the cellphone screen, clicking on it.

"I remember when I got the one I am with now. You have no idea what I passed through. It's like the more they evolve the more complicated they get" Sana said.

Mina giggled, that was so her to do.

They didn't have to walk much to a point where they could get some sort of transportation. Mina preferred to call a cab over there so they could go quicker since walking was off questions because their destination was far away from the center of the town, Jihyo lived more like in the corners of the North. Again, Mina felt an incredible nostalgia with all of it, she repeatedly showed Sana the places she knew and the ones she had never seen or changed, so Mina was doing most of the talk while Sana just smiled and asked some things seeing the other's enthusiasm.

"We're almost there." Mina said after about half an hour of ride.

She surely didn't know the precise address since she never went there before for what she can tell but she knew that they were in the right direction.

The street was empty when they arrived, the sound of the cab going away echoed through it.

They looked around to find the house with the number 02 in it.

"It would be really impressive if Jihyo suddenly opened the door out of nowhere saying she knew we were coming" Sana suddenly said when they walked further.

"I know right." Mina said enthusiastic.

About some steps later, they found it. It was a small and complex house, small if one would say looking from outside since it was sandwiched between two other houses that had at least three floors but, if they payed enough attention it was possible to see that it was an spacious place.

They knocked.

"Hi" Jihyo said when she opened the door.

"Hello there"

"Good morning"

"Come in" Jihyo said. Her house was nothing unusual, some pictures, paintings, plants and some normal and not so normal furniture here and there.

She guided them to the dinner room where they could sit down by the table and talk. She put a glass of water for them and sat down. Jihyo was at the edge of the table while Sana sat by her right and Mina right beside her. Mina also passed Jihyo her contact if needed.

"So, were do I start?" Jihyo said, eyeing the two of them.

"Is there any way you can help us from here?" Mina asked.

"I can think of a few things. Do you have the card I gave to you here with you?" Jihyo said.

"Yes, we brought it" Sana said taking the things out of her bag.

"We also brought other things in case it would help"

Sana put it all on the table, the notebook she found in Mina's old room, the Polaroid picture inside of it and the card Jihyo gave them.

Jihyo took the card first.

"You see, all my memories of you came back when I saw this card and I just met you one time." Jihyo said.

"I still don't know the meaning of it though. It needs some study so I'll stay with this since here in my house I have all my books and enchantments okay? And what is this?" Jihyo said.

Mina and Sana nodded as Jihyo flipped the Polaroid picture that was on the table but was facing down.

"Oh my God" Jihyo said sounding surprised when she flipped the picture.

"It's Yoo Jeongyeon." She said.

Mina's heart skipped a beat.

"Who?" Sana said, eyes widen, she looked at Mina with expectation.

"The Queen... That explains a bit, you know her?... Wow" Jihyo said.

"I do? I mean..." Mina said, Jihyo gave her the picture and she saw it with a heavy heart. Finally a name to the face.

"How old were you when you got you know... trapped?" Jihyo asked.

"It was 2009 so 22?" Mina answered.

"Oh, I never asked that but you didn't grow old? Do you know if you're getting old now?" Sana asked, by then she didn't ask Mina too much of the subject but at the moment it seemed to be appropriate.

"I can tell she didn't grow old, she looks the exact same of when I met her." Jihyo said.

"I don't know." Mina said. Eyes focused on the picture.

'Jeongyeon'

"Mina, it looks like you got involved in something big. Jeongyeon only started to rule in 2010, you had already left but there were some scandals, no, more than that, it was complicated because she was only found to be of the royal family the year before and she almost lost her spot because of family conflicts and our almost war with the two neighbor cities. Those were dark times but she managed to pull it out... Now, it's been a while we don't see her" Jihyo tried her best to clarify but she knew little about it, after all she was young at the time and politics weren't really her thing.

Mina nodded placing the picture down on the table. Sana sighed looking at her.

"We also have these." She said showing the rest of the things on the table.

Jihyo analyzed the notebook, flipping its empty pages, but found nothing yet but she suggested for them to let it there for her to see if she can find out anything.

"The picture you can take with you, there's too little hints on it for me to find were it was taken an it will be damaged if I try something"

"Okay" Mina said, she was thinking hard. She was coming to a deep realization that she knew little about herself.

"Do you guys want to stay and see or you have plans?"

Sana was about to say that they would stay but Mina beat her to it.

"Sorry, I think it's better if I go now" She said, getting up, walking away. Sana looked between the both of them quickly.

"I'll go with you." She said also getting up.

"Mina" Sana called as the other went further away to the door.

"What's wrong?" She asked because Mina was walking fast. Then Mina finally got on the door, she turned around and Sana could see that her eyes were full of tears.

Jihyo was behind Sana seeing the entire scene.

"I just need a minute." Mina said as she opened the door and went outside closing it. Sana pouted as Jihyo put a hand on her shoulder.

Mina was overwhelmed. She knew she had to know in some point but she didn't think it would be like that, as she felt like she didn't know herself at all. She can't even imagine if what she can discover can be good or bad. But if she took measures like searching for a person with Jihyo's skills then it can't be good. And she doesn't know if she wants to find out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter