Becoming Hyung: The first Promise

Shared Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Siblings is a strange relationship: its neither hate nor love, its annoying yet warm, it’s the basic of sharing and caring yet arguing  about the stupidest thing and making up all the time when you don’t even remember why you made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

Taeyong was very much proud to say that all his kids had a great relationship with each other; they were quite close and respectful towards each other, bickering with playfulness from time to time yet more often they could be found just clinging towards each other.

The late warm afternoon sun made the Lee Penthouse bask in a comfortable light, the rare sight in winter warming the heart of everyone who was enjoying Taeyong and his partner’s delicious sweets, small talk and snuggly blankets being shared between them while the hot drinks warmed their bodies.

Chenle and Jisung were bickering who was taking too much out of the blanket, finally ending their argument when Taeyong suggested to snuggled closer, making the blanket cover both of the duo’s body to their satisfaction.

It made the caring Dad smile, thinking that Jisung and Chenle were pretty much like attached from the same vine, never could you see one without the other despite them having opposite personalities. They were very close friends, that argued over petty things, but never long enough for anyone to notice. It was the lovely maknae-line of their house, he mused as he snuggled closer to Taeil’s warm body, receiving a light peck on his forehead in return from his affectionate partner.

Taeyong smiled as he saw Renjun lecturing Chenle about eating the sweets on the table, not liking the crumbles of cookies that were starting to get on the blanket and the couch.

The familiar scene was a routine, as Renjun had that motherly instinct over Chenle, while Chenle loved his Ge to death, always listening a tad bit more to him compared to anyone.

Winwin shook his head in fondness as Chenle who complied, had moved from the couch to his lap, stealing half of his Fuqin blanket to cover him while eating on the coffee table, satisfied with this smart move while Renjun sighed in defeat.

Taeyong smiled as a now deserted Jisung tried to find another source of warmth, sliding, like a mouse in all discretion, under his Hyung’s blanket.

Mark who had been talking with Jeno and Hansol, didn’t show any reaction on his face, but his arm softly took the blanket to cover Jisung shoulder tighter and completely, making the maknae unconsciously shift closer towards his hyung, eyes on his smartphone, yet his head leaning on Mark’s strong chest.

Jisung and Mark’s relationship was very special, and Taeyong was pretty sure that Jisung, being the tsundre that he was, would never be able to express the love and admiration he had to his hyung other than by doing those subtle actions, which anyone but Mark noticed.

But that was okay, since Mark always had obviously cared deeply for Jisung, sometimes making Taeyong wonder if his son considered himself like the maknae’s guardian.

“A penny for your thoughts?” Taeil brought a heart shaped chocolate towards Taeyong’s lips, which Taeyong accepted, eating the chocolate while smiling softly before replying towards the asked question: “Just happy thoughts.”

Taeil smiled. “Care to share the happiness with me?”

“I am just proud of our family.” Taeyong smiled at him back, the kind of blinding smile that melted the ice-cold beauty into a dazelling star, if you asked Taeil’s opinion.

Taeil snuggled closer, a liitle smug smile on his face. “That’s a matter of course.”

Renjun who was fussing in front of his sketch, unsatisfied with the results yet frustrated because he didn’t know what he wasn’t satisfied, made his way to sit in between Mark and Hansol.

Mark who had half an earplug in, gave his other to his frustrated dongsaeng, who after contemplating it accepted the offer. Renjun frowned for a bit, before his eyes gleamed, inspiration surging through at the melody of the song.  

Mark and Renjun were in the same kind of relationship as Jeno and Hansol: that of confidants and anchors.

Calming Mark always managed to anchor Renjun, who in his turn always managed to read with his strong instinct through the barriers of cold faced Mark - Just like how always smiling Jeno was able to be on the same calm pace of Hansol. Taeyong’s stepson always had been able to read through Jeno’s eyesmile and it comforted Taeyong greatly to know that every single precious treasure of his, was able to seek out someone of their siblings whenever they needed some family time or love during bad days.

Jeno, Taeyong mused as he looked at his son who despite Chenle’s loud voice and following the conversation of the two eldest of the sibilings, managed to have a serene expression while reading a business book.

Always caring, always smiling, always able to do most things with ease, always hard working and always bringing good grades…Taeyong was naturally very proud of his son, yet he worried about him a lot as the kid always worked too hard and smiled too often even when he could be angry or sad.

Taeyong had quickly realised how kind Jeno was great at hiding pain and sadness behind everyone’s beloved eye smile and how much the kid really worked hard even though he was the most quitest amongst them.

People often believed that the “golden child” was very lucky, but Taeyong knew that each child, be it a smart one or an innocent one, a kind one or a strong one, a calm one or a smiling one, always had their own trouble and pain, like any other child.

Taeyong would have been worried to death for Jeno if his kids didn’t have that strong sibling relationship between them: Jisung seeked often Jeno’s company to go to the dance studio, making hardworking Jeno relax from time to time, while love bug Chenle always ensured to give warm hugs to his hyung. Renjun, worrywart that he was, always urged Jeno to take care of himself, reminding the younger how much he was loved, and Hansol was always able to read through Jeno’s eyesmile whenever the kid tried to take too much on his own.

As for Mark…

Taeyong couldn’t help but think that Mark and Jeno’s relationship was a strange one: very simple, the older they grew, the less they interacted…Yet the more they resembled each other, a silent communication between them, as it had always been very deep.

Afterall… Jeno had been Mark’s first sibling to care for in their now big family.

Taeyong remembered with a soft smile, as he sipped on his milktea, the first meeting between Mark and Jeno…

 

Little Mark, who was in his Dad arms, had looked at his baby brother with big eyes full of awe before lightly sulking as he said towards his dad and appa: “Why is he too tiny?”

This was so different from the picture books they had read, ah!

Taeyong giggled while Jaehyun had suppressed a laugh, afraid of startling the new-born, dimple smiles on full display as he explained to his son: “That’s because Mark is hyung, so naturally Mark will be stronger and bigger. Because Jeno will need his hyung to protect him”

Mark’s wide eyes had become even bigger, pointing at himself as the seven-year-old had asked: “Me? Dad and Appa won’t protect him?”

Taeyong had smiled, ruffling his precious son’s hair affectionally before explaining: “Mark-ya, Dad and Appa will always be here to protect the both of you. But Jeno is still so small and weak, so he needs extra protection from his Hyung to grow happily and safe. Can you do that and be a good hyung love?”

 Mark had looked with a serious expression, like no 7-year-old kid could do, making both parents coo internally as their son solemnly nodded.

“Dad, what’s a good Hyung?” Mark asked suddenly as if he realised, he had promised something which he had no clue about it.

Jaehyun who had Jeno in his arms, had kissed Mark’s cheeks while Taeyong had smiled foundly; “A good hyung protects and love his little brother, no matter what. As long as Mark tries to be always there for Jeno then Dad and Appa will be glad that Jeno has a good Hyung.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Protect

 

With a hard beating heart, his eyes tried to look through the darkness of the room: the familiar shadows and noises of the room seemed on that particular moment so unusual and frightful that Jeno didn’t dare to close his eyes, constantly looking at the direction of the door, out of fear that something…a very scary something might come and eat him up if he looked away.

He wanted to go to his dad, but just leaving the secure barrier of his blankets made Jeno’s body stiffen in fear, not knowing if the monster under the bed might come and grab him by his ankles.

No…It was better to stay in bed, warmly protected by the covers and keep a watchful eye on the door.

However, the noise that had woken up Jeno to begin with, striked again, as the loud thunder vibrated in the entire bedroom. The lightening followed a mere seconds later, illuminating slightly the room in an even scarier atmosphere and Jeno whimpered slightly, really needing his Dad’s arms right now.

Should he run?

But he didn’t’ wake up his dad either…He wasn’t a baby, he was 3 and a half years old!

Just as soft tears were spilling on his babycheeks, the door opened with a soft noise and Jeno didn’t breathe for a brief second before relief came over his face, finally letting himself cry as his Hyung made his way towards his bed.

“Shssshhhhh. It’s Hyung, Nono-ah.” Mark immediately tried to hush the still crying kid who had nestled himself in his arms, body still trembling as another thunder vibrated through the room.

“Shhh, Hyung is here now, don’t be afraid Nono-ah.” Mark tried to ignore the thunder as his little brother who started to let soft hiccups finally calmed down.

Mark had been woken up by the thunder too and had half-scared about it and half worried about his brother decided to come and take a look.   

Jeno nodded to his brother’s words, before pleading his hyung between hiccups: “Hyung…Sleep with Nono?” Mark nodded, more than willing to oblige to this request as he already wrapped the blankets snugly around them, before laying down with a worn-out and sleepy Jeno in his arms. The thunder striked again, yet Jeno and Mark eyes were already fluttering close at the rythme of each other’s heartbeat, feeling both very secured and warm, at each other precense.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To be always there

 

Taeyong took back the thermometer from his burning son, eyes worried seeing the displayed number as he gave it back to his boyfriend, who had just finished listening to the boy’s pulse. “His fever didn’t go down.”, was the comment of the distressed father.

Taeil nodded as he wrapped the blankets carefully over Jeno’s shivering body, the 14-year-old looking paler than usual yet still maintaining a weak eye smile as Hansol asked him if he needed something.

“Don’t worry; it’s a serious cold but nothing very grave. As long as we take good care of him, he will be better soon.” The golden doctor reassured his lover, taking his leave to prepare some medicine which would help with the shivering and uncomfortableness of his stepson’s body.

“Dad?” A worried Renjun peeked from the door of his bedroom, which was now forbidden access as Taeyong had ejected the young teenager to Hansol and Mark’s room, as the later was still in Thailand anyway.

“Don’t come near, Injunie.” Taeyong knew by the other two pairs of curious eyes that were lurking in the doorway, that Jisung and Chenle were also trying to take a peek, and the last thing he wanted was one of them getting sick too.

“How about Jeno?” Renjun asked, abiding to his dad words but still not leaving the room. Hansol who had been allowed in as medicine student smiled, standing up as he went towards Renjun to reassure him and the two maknae’s of their brother’s condition.

“Dad, I feel already much better com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter