8

The Nice One

"Oh." Baekho smiled and hugged Minhyun tightly. "Thank you."

 

Minhyun returned the hug and felt jitters all over his body for being honest. He wasn't sure when was the last time he had been honest like this but he knew Baekho made him feel like it was going to be worth it. "You really don't want to leave?"

 

"I would be lying if I said I totally don't want to leave. I do because I miss the sun. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss a lot of things on the surface but... But I'm willing to give that all up now. As long as you'll allow me to stay with you." Baekho grasped Minhyun's hands tightly and looked him in the... Eye to show him how serious he felt. Minhyun let a chuckle slip.

 

"You're one weird tiger..."

 

"If you'll allow me to say my goodbyes to them one last time, I'll never ask to go back to the surface again."

 

Minhyun gasped, wondering if Baekho really meant that. He never knew that someone like Baekho would exist in this world for him. "Are you sure its not because you just want to go back?"

 

"Hey! Don't say that. I really mean it."

 

"But you're living in constant fear down here."

 

"Living anywhere is a constant fear. Living itself is fearful."

 

"Don't be silly. You know what I mean."

 

"Then how can I convince you that I really mean what I say?" Baekho asked while pouting. Minhyun wasn't expecting this turn of events but he could only think of one thing.

 

"I'll allow you to say your goodbyes for a whole day... You will come back to the cave when it's midnight... If you choose to stay on the surface, never come back," Minhyun said and Baekho pursed his lips. He nodded.

 

"I'll do it. I'll come back."

 

Minhyun didn't want to bring his hopes up yet he felt like he could trust Baekho even though he was afraid to be disappointed and hurt in the end.

 

"Here."

 

"What's this?" Baekho asked as he was handed a little thread ball when Minhyun had elevated him back to the surface with a single thread.

 

"Just... Something like an alarm. I won't know when you will come back to the cave entrance so when you do, if you do, just crush this and I'll come get you. Don't be stupid and jump. I don't need you breaking a limb to get back."

 

Baekho chuckled and kissed Minhyun on the cheek, making the spider hybrid blush even though it went unseen in the dark. "Thank you. I promise you I'll come back."

 

Minhyun just smiled a little and nodded, gently swinging over to the vine covered entrance and placing Baekho onto the firm solid ground. "Take care... Be careful."

 

"I will."

 

Baekho breathed in the fresh air. After staying in the cave for countless days, the air outside almost felt like the unnatural one yet his body still remembered it. The smell of dew drops and grass. Nature. He took a step forward on the grass before he laughed and broke into a full sprint. He was outside again. He was back on the surface. He was so delighted that he ran straight back home first. It was midnight out since Minhyun's promise was a whole day. He knew his parents would probably be asleep but he didn't care. He only had a day left to spend with them before officially saying his goodbyes. He knew it would be difficult to leave everything behind willingly but he also wanted to keep his promise and be firm with his own decision to stay with Minhyun. It was a different experience and lifestyle altogether but Baekho wanted to give it a chance. He knocked on the door and one of his many siblings opened the door. His little brother gaped at the grinning male who picked him up and cheered.

 

"I'm home!"

 

"BROTHER!! YOU'RE HOME!" From that loud shout, everyone started flooding out to welcome the tiger hybrid home. He laughed and exchanged hugs with all of them. They constantly asked him where he had disappeared to for approximately five months but Baekho knew he couldn't tell them about Minhyun. He could only say he was lost in the forest which wasn't all lies since the cave was situated within the forest. His friends charged to his house the moment they heard the news, crying and bawling their eyes out for their friend who made it back in one piece. He started crying while hugging onto them as well, having missed everyone. His heart ached as he knew this might very well be the last time he saw them too. That thought made it almost unbearable for him to leave again.

 

Barely an hour had passed that Baekho had left the cave and Minhyun felt even more alone than he ever had. Usually when someone fell in here, they tend to avoid him to the ends of the earth and he did the same but Minhyun didn't know why he kept coming back to check on Baekho and in turn start developing feelings for him. Maybe it was because he felt the need to protect Baekho but he knew this was going to end up hurting himself and the other. He swung on the hammock and stared aimlessly towards the top. He usually occupied himself with things to do but without Baekho here, he suddenly didn't feel like doing anything. He shut his eyes and tried to sleep away the ache in his chest instead. The quiet was suddenly his worst enemy.

 

"Brother, brother, play with us!" the little ones said as morning began for the villagers. Baekho didn't reject as he ran out with them just like before. He looked around the village and breathed in the scent of freshly made food along with several other familiar smells that sparked his sense of smell. He wished he could bring Minhyun up here instead but he knew the other was afraid and he didn't want to force the spider hybrid to do anything he didn't want to since he knew fear wasn't something easy to overcome. Maybe someday he could convince him and they could live together in the village instead. The thought of that put a bigger smile on his face.

 

His friends hung out with him all day along with his siblings. No one dared to take their eyes off the tiger hybrid, afraid he might disappear again but as the day starts, it would also come to an end.

 

It was almost midnight and Baekho had wished all his siblings and parents to sleep, tucking in the younger ones as well. He smiled, knowing they were safe. He knew he was supposed to say his goodbyes but he also knew if he said them, he would probably break down crying so he opted to say goodnight instead in a small shaky voice. He exited his house and let out a choked sigh. He took out the thread ball and stared at it for awhile, knowing Minhyun was probably waiting for him all alone made him want to go back even just a little faster. Just as he was about to leave, a worried looking Ren stood in his way.