4

The Nice One

"Y-yeah. I mean, if you're not going to eat me or let me go, we should try to... Get along, right?" Baekho let out a nervous chuckle and pulled himself closer.

 

"Get along?" Minhyun repeated again. He blinked and stared at the tiger hybrid whose tail was even laying docilely beside him.

 

"Y-yes. My name is Baekho! I-I--I am a tiger hybrid. M-"

 

"Enough."

 

Baekho pursed his lips at how stern the other sounded suddenly.

 

"We don't need to get to know each other. I don't intend to be nice," Minhyun hissed and Baekho shrunk.

 

"B-but why? I-I don't know you and I have n-never done anything bad to you before," Baekho tried to reason with Minhyun.

 

"Isn't that what spider hybrids do? They frighten and they're mean," Minhyun hissed on purpose. "They hurt people and they're monsters."

 

"What are you saying? Y-you're not a monster! You're a little mean b-but I saw you praying before k-killing someone. There has to be a bit of niceness in you to do that. A-and you haven't-"

 

"You saw- Shut up!" Minhyun growled and the whole hammock Baekho was on started shaking as if resonating with Minhyun's temper. Baekho yelped and clutched onto it tightly to prevent himself from falling off. "You know nothing about me! And I-!" His words stopped and so did the shaking. "I!" Minhyun wasn't sure what he was going to say. He let out an unintelligible screech and disappeared into the dark, leaving Baekho confused and shaking again. Minhyun's quick changes in temper and attitude really made Baekho uncertain if the other was trying to be nice or mean to him. He fed him yet he yelled at him. Baekho sighed but was at least thankful that he was not going to meet an unlikely death at the jaws of a spider hybrid now.

 

The next few... Days, Baekho stayed on the hammock and did everything there was to do which wasn't much. Sleeping, eating whenever fruits appeared for him and stretching as much as he could before he feared he would roll off. The one thing he didn't do there was, of course, body excretion. The spider hybrid made it clear to inform him whenever he needed to go since Baekho had tried to relieve himself out of desperate need and he didn't want to tell the spider hybrid so that was the only time he saw the large male recently. Minhyun no longer frightened him as terribly since they barely interacted and he would get ignored whenever questioned or spoken to.

 

Baekho scooted closer to the edge, reaching his hand out to try to grab hold of the thinner part of the hammock. He wanted to try climbing up and see how far it could take him. His breath was unstable as he held onto it and slowly inched forward. Despite how thin it was, Baekho had seen the way Minhyun had balanced himself on it before so he was quite certain that it would be able to hold his weight or at least he hoped so. He squeaked when the hammock tilted dangerously and he gripped onto it with both hands.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

Baekho flinched but that was the wrong move since the hammock made a sudden spin and his body was swung off the hammock. He gripped onto the web tightly though as he now dangled below. "Shi-"

 

Minhyun twitched and was about to jump in but stopped himself. His legs curled in as he refrained from being 'nice' to the other although he felt it taking a toll on himself as Baekho didn't give him a reason to actually be mean. The other never got angry at him before or hurt him. He actually tried to be friendly despite being so afraid yet Minhyun didn't want to give in. Baekho grunted as he pulled himself up, using his leg to try to hook onto the hammock but he yelped as it made another spin and he was still stuck in the same position. He eyed Minhyun who thought he looked pitiful and sighed. He was about to leave Baekho to deal with his carelessness by himself when his hands gave out and Baekho let out a sharp cry for help. Shooting a web onto his back, Minhyun caught him and pulled him up. Baekho panicked since he felt unsafe but he gradually calmed down when he felt Minhyun grab proper hold of him even if it wasn't actually the most comforting thing in the world right now. He turned to face the spider hybrid and without thinking, he clutched onto him to his surprise. Minhyun was also surprised by himself since he had never saved someone instinctively before this. He had allowed many to just plunge to their death without bothering yet somehow he couldn't let that happen to Baekho.

 

"Holy crap! I almost fell down," He cried out.

 

"You're crushing me," Minhyun groaned since Baekho was squeezing him really tightly like a baby koala. "If you're afraid of falling, you shouldn't have tried something that stupid."

 

"B-b-but I was bored," Baekho stuttered, trying not to bite his own tongue. "And y-you said I c-could climb up and s-see if I could get out."

 

Minhyun rolled his eyes and tried to peel Baekho off him but the tiger hybrid refused to let go since he knew that Minhyun could navigate freely from web to web. "Let go of me."

 

"No!" Baekho whined and pouted. Minhyun sighed and pulled himself up onto the top hammock and sat down, legs falling to a rest. Baekho now sat on his lap but still remained clutching onto the spider hybrid.

 

"Aren't you afraid of me?" Minhyun asked, noticing how Baekho absolutely didn't look him in the eye even though they had met eyes before.

 

"Y-yeah. But I'm more afraid of falling!" Baekho tried to reason out with himself how this felt much better. Minhyun wasn't very meaty or too slim so Baekho's arms wrapped around him just nicely, making Baekho actually feel safe as he eyed the dark cave.

 

"Right. And what if I drop you along with me?" Minhyun teased and Baekho gasped with a frown.

 

"Don't do that! You're mean," Baekho complained and proceeded to only hold Minhyun tighter, making the spider hybrid uncomfortable but he still laughed.

 

"Told you I'm not nice."

 

"That's not true either! You still saved me even though you didn't have to," Baekho snapped, startling Minhyun. That was true. He let out a gruffy scoff and once again, tried to push the tiger(koala) hybrid off him.

 

It took almost an hour before Baekho finally settled down and was willing to unclasp his hand from Minhyun's body but remained clutching onto his arm. With the other holding onto him, the spider hybrid couldn't really do his things but he didn't want to be held back as well so he just did the next thing he could think about.

 

"This is going on for far too long," Minhyun said and pulled Baekho up to his feet.

 

"E-eh? Are we going somewhere?"

 

"Yes. So I suggest you either hold on tight now or sit down and stay still." Baekho's decision was quick as he hugged Minhyun again. A tiny triumphant smirk appeared on Minhyun's lips but he managed to keep it hidden. Using one of his long legs, he clamped it around Baekho for better security who stiffened momentarily before he swung off. Baekho couldn't really tell if they were going lower or higher since Minhyun's movements were unreadable and he didn't dare open his eyes. Only when he felt Minhyun land, he peeked his eyes open. He was shocked to find a flower garden before him as Minhyun carefully navigated his way through it without stepping on a single flower. The flowers lit up to Baekho's amazement. He knew they were still in a cave but it was a smaller space, one where Baekho could actually see the ceiling and ground around him.

 

"Wow... Are we still in the same cave?" Baekho asked in a soft tone as if it would disturb the flower's harmony if he spoke loudly.

 

"Yes. Just a different part. The cave is huge and there are a lot of hidden area-," Minhyun stopped, realising he was opening up unintentionally to the other. He frowned and cleared his throat. Baekho glanced at him.

 

"You don't want to tell me more?" Baekho asked timidly, trying his luck to see if Minhyun would actually talk to him more.

 

"I... Well, it's boring talk," Minhyun huffed instead as he carefully lifted the tiger hybrid higher when they passed by a path with spikes forming from the ground. Baekho chuckled, making Minhyun stop in his tracks.

 

"Why did you stop?"

 

"Why are you laughing? Is this funny?"

 

"Hmm? N-no, I was just thinking how you don't like to open up to me but you're still treating me nicely."

 

"I could put you down."

 

"But are you going to?"