9

The Nice One

"R-ren," he gasped.

 

"Where are you going, Baekho?" his friend asked.

 

"I... I'm just... Taking a walk," Baekho said, trying to sound convincing but Ren shook his head.

 

"You're going back to the cave, aren't you?"

 

Baekho flinched. "Wha-"

 

"What is in the cave, Baekho? Why are you going back there? Didn't you almost lose your life? For five months, we thought you died."

 

"I..." Baekho didn't know how to get through Ren. The other always had such sharp senses but he couldn't expose Minhyun so he didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry. I have to go."

 

"No... Don't go. Please," Ren pleaded him and held his arm. Baekho didn't want to use force against his friend to get away so he tried to peel his fingers off.

 

"Let go, Ren. I made a promise. I don't want to break it," Baekho said firmly.

 

"Did they threaten you? Will you be killed if you don't go back? Please, Baekho. Let us help you."

 

"Us?" Baekho gasped in surprise when Jonghyun and Aron showed up as well. There was ropes in their hands and that alarmed Baekho. "No, wait. You're misunderstanding something. I'm willingly going back."

 

"No, Baekho. You can't go. You belong here in the village with the rest of us," Ren still tried to convince Baekho to stay. It was tearing at Baekho's heart a little for having to make this decision but now wasn't the time to be tormenting himself mentally.

 

"Let me go, Ren." Ren shifted his gaze towards the other two and they moved in. Jonghyun and Aron both grabbed Baekho who struggled not to hurt his own friends. "Guys, please. You don't understand!"

 

"Your parents and siblings were so sad when you disappeared, Baekho. We can't let that happen again. It was our fault that you fell into the cave so now we are rectifying that mistake," Aron said as they forcefully pushed Baekho onto the ground.

 

"N-no. You didn't even tell my family I fell into the cave. You're making a worse mistake right now," Baekho whined as he tried to pull his arms away from his friends' grips. "I have to go back!"

 

"Whatever is in that cave is probably just lying to you to make you stay! You have a life here, Baekho. You can't just leave again," Jonghyun cried out, not wanting to lose his friend again. Baekho hissed at them, startling the three of them as their friend was usually more docile.

 

"They're turning you against us too. Can't you see what they have done to you, Baekho?" Ren said and Baekho let out a cry as they held him down.

 

"I love him! I love him!" Baekho yelled, trying to convince his friends in return that he had to go back no matter what. They froze but they didn't let go.

 

"Who? Who is it?" Aron asked and Baekho felt his throat seize up. The spider hybrid, of course. The spider hybrid. "What's his name?"

 

Baekho was suddenly speechless. The spider hybrid had never once told him his name. He had always refused to. Baekho realised why one second too late.

 

"You don't even know his name. This is just one sided, Baekho. You'll only hurt yourself if you go back," Jonghyun whispered.

 

"You wanted me to forget you," Baekho cried out softly, confusing his friends as tears brimmed in his eyes again. "Let me go back, please. I have to."

 

"We are sorry, Baekho. We can't let you."

 

Baekho didn't have a choice. He didn't want to hurt his friends but he didn't want to hurt Minhyun by not showing up either so he crushed the thread ball in his hand.

 

Minhyun felt a twinge in his chest and opened his eyes. Was Baekho back? It was already midnight. He really came back. Somehow the thought made him happy yet he was hesitant on going back up to get him. Baekho should just forget him. He had tried so hard not to give Baekho an actual reason to come back down here. Because down here, he knew Baekho wouldn't have a happy life. He didn't want to grow too attached either because his death would be too painful for him. Yet he wanted to hold onto the hope that there was someone out there that really did like him back so he zipped his way up. He parted the vines, expecting Baekho to be there but he was confused when he saw nobody. He looked at the grass and meekly stepped out of the cave. He looked around warily, having not been outside for years. Even the moonlight alone was enough to make him squint.

 

"B-baekho?" His voice came out timid despite his roaring heart. His spider legs were unsure where to land on as it was grass all around him. "Baekho?" He was confused. That thread ball had definitely been crushed but where was he? He stood there, wondering if Baekho had just wanted to let him know that he was never coming bad instead and it ached somehow. It ached deep in his heart, knowing he had definitely been disappointed. He let out a cry and his leg stabbed the ground. Then he felt the twinge in his heart again. It made him cry out again unintentionally. He placed a hand on his chest. Something felt utterly wrong then.

 

"Baekho, where are you? I'm here," Minhyun whispered, wondering why the thread ball was still being squeezed tightly and afraid to raise his voice just in case there was anyone nearby who could hear him. The thread ball was connected directly to him so he could feel it. If Baekho wasn't calling him to tell him that he was here, then what exactly was he being called for? Dread replaced his disappointment. Was Baekho in trouble? He looked at the vast field and took a step back. There was no way he could leave to find Baekho. He turned back to the cave where he felt safest. He pushed the vine aside and stared down into the dark cave that seemed to loom endlessly but he knew every path there was in there and every corner of the caves. It was safe and it was home. Out here, he was vulnerable and the prey but the squeeze in his chest made it hard for him to breathe. He could still remember Baekho's fear of things and his hurting cries. He took another step away from the cave and held back a choked cry. Why did he have to fall for someone from the surface. He cursed himself as he broke into a sprint to find Baekho instead.