A Special Start

Love So Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

             

"..." I muttered to myself as I tiptoed to reach that deposition way up the top-shelf. I was hopeless so I looked left and right for the column's rolling ladder so I can finally get the book I needed to review but the librarian was using it, stacking a mountain of books from her trolly. 

I wasn't the smallest girl but my height wasn't enough to get me that book.

Most students are asses. They'd be checking books from the shelves but wouldn't return them and just leaves them on the table after they're done. It may be the public library but they didn't have to act like the government will stack the books back to the shelves automatically just because their parents pay the tax. 

I didn't want to interrupt her so I started looking for some help.

But as I was looking around, I was lucky when a tall guy passed by my column, so I followed him before he could get too far. 

"Hey," I called loudly yet softly since we are at the place were silence is enforced. He then turned around and looked at me questioningly. 

"I'm sorry but can you help me get a book on the top shelf. I can't reach it." I stated, smiling warmly at him while pointing on the shelf of the column beside me.

He responded with just a smile that showed a dimple on the right side of his cheek before making his way to the column where I was pointing. 

"Which one?" He asked and I was surprised by his deep voice, raspy yet soothing voice. 

"The blue one. Effective Deposition." I pointed while tiptoeing again just so I can specifically point the book and trying to get it that the same time to prove that I really can't reach it.

He chuckled at my attempt before proceeding to take it out from the shelf then handed it over to me. 

"You studying law?" He asked, looking at the cover.

"Political Science, actually. Hoping I can make it to law school." I replied, smiling up at him.

"I hope I can go to school." He replied, emphasizing a few particular words while chuckling as he handed me the book.

My smile disappeared with his words. It's unfortunate that not everyone can afford school. "I'm sorry to hear that." 

"Education is a privilege now, now that everything seems to have a price. But hey, that's what this public library is for." He kept his smile despite how I lost mine. However, that smile kind of assures me that he's fine. 

"But you finished high school right? I mean, we have public high schools." I retorted softly, trying to sound polite as possible despite my choice of words which I immediately regretted. I could've chosen better words.

"Yeah, I did... years ago." He laughed softly, "I still hope I can afford to study at a university but, life is not easy for everyone. Anyway, don't let me bother you." He replied then chuckles. He then gave me a nod was about to turn but I remembered I haven't thanked him yet.

"Oh, hey!" I called out a bit louder than what's expected inside the library and immediately, I got shushed by the librarian not far behind me. 

This guy stifled a chuckle and it made me feel a little embarrassed but not ashamed. I then continued my hushed appreciation. "Thanks!" I whispered shouted and he was quick to give me a nod again before finally turning his back from me.

I don't know what it is that had me feeling comfortable. Maybe because of his gentle smile? Or that deep soothing voice? Or maybe his bright doe yet cat-like eyes? Or the way he dressed so baggy yet looking comfy in it? Or the way his hair looked so fluffy despite being unkempt... It's definitely not because he's handsome because I knew some guys who are a lot more handsome than him. But he's handsome nonetheless.

That was the only time I visited the public library and somehow, I had forgotten about that guy. I didn't think about him that much either after that day. 

Not until I saw him again at a café inside t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter