Roommates

What it Means to Love

“This is a really weird show, Chaeng,” my roommate stated. It was Saturday night and we were watching The End of the F***ing World on my laptop since I didn’t have anything better to do and neither did she.

 

“It’s good though. You should watch more shows like this. You can only rewatch Descendants of the Sun so much before it starts to bore the hell out of you.” She chuckled lightly at what I said and we continued watching until the end of the first season. It was short and sweet and it only took like three hours to finish.

 

It was half past nine when Jeongyeon and I had our dinner. We decided to order pizza because we both knew cooking was too much of a hassle. Today was actually a pretty good day, at least compared to the rest of my week. Exams are finally over, I got to watch a really good show, I’m eating pizza for dinner. It’s been a good day... until Jeongyeon decided to spit some bull.

 

“So how are things with you and Tzuyu?” she asked. Her question was a bit muffled by all the food in . “I haven’t seen her since—"

 

“The night we fought here?” I said, cutting her off.

 

“Yeah.” she replied

 

“We’re okay.” I said before I resumed eating. We weren’t entirely okay but we we’re definitely better now than we were a few weeks ago.

 

 

The first thing I noticed were the disappointed looks on both Tzuyu and Jeongyeon’s faces the moment I was pulled inside my dorm, or maybe it was anger?

 

“What the is wrong with you?!” Tzuyu asked. It was definitely anger.

 

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

 

“You don’t answer your phone, you don’t reply to any of my messages, you didn’t care inform anyone about your plans.” she exclaimed, except I did tell her.

 

“Tzuyu, I told you I’d be out tonight.” I explained.

 

“And yet you failed to mention that it was with Myoui Mina... or did you intentionally leave that part out?” I didn’t know what to tell her. I couldn’t even look at her.

 

“I was gonna tell you eventually...” I was, really. I just didn’t know when and how.

 

“When, Chaeyoung? When she kidnaps you? When she has a ing gun to your head?” She was full-on screaming at me at that point and she somehow managed to anger me more than she ever had, not because of the screaming, but because of her ridiculous assumptions about Mina.

 

“She isn’t like that, and why do you care so much anyway?!” I get that she was concerned but she always saw the worst in Mina without knowing anything about her. It pissed me off, she didn’t deserve to be talked about in that manner.

 

“Because you’re my ing girlfriend and she’s been stalking you almost a year! Did you just forget about that tiny little detail?!” The fight went on for almost an hour and only got more intense. Jeongyeon just sat on a chair and watched everything unfold right in front of her.

 

 

It took a while for things to die down but things eventually got better, even though Tzuyu immaturely threatened to break up with me if I didn’t stop hanging out with Mina. Sadly, I responded just as immaturely by daring her to do so. Honestly speaking, I didn’t know if we could ever bounce back from everything that happened, but we did. Mostly because neither of us had heard seen or heard from Mina since that night. I guessing she took Tzuyu’s words to heart. That didn’t stop me from wondering how she was though.

 

“Hey, unnie?” I said, immediately catching Jeongyeon’s attention. She’s aware that I only ever call her that when I want to talk about something important or ask for a favor, “I, uh... h-how’s Mina doing?” I know they have a class together every week and that’s how she knew her.

 

“She’s back to normal,” she deadpanned

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“She was... I don’t know, giddy, I guess? When you two started hanging out, I mean. Now she’s back to being quiet.” she explained.

 

“Oh.” what she said worried me a bit. I could only guess what must be going on inside Mina’s head ever since hit the fan. I wanted to see her, tell her that everything’s alright... and that I miss her. Maybe I can get her to meet with me, maybe Jeongyeon can help me with that. “Hey, can you—"

 

“No” she said, immediately cutting me off.

 

“I haven’t even said anything yet!” I exclaimed.

 

“You want me to be the middleman. You want me to relay whatever it is that you wanna tell her, right?” I hated how condescending she sounded. “I’m not doing that.”

 

“Why? What is your problem with her anyway?” I was really annoyed. I mean, I expected this type of attitude from Tzuyu but not Jeongyeon.

 

“Because she’s stalker and I’m not very fond of stalkers seeing as my girlfriend had one.” Apparently, her girlfriend was stalked by one of the foreign exchange students from Germany. It pissed Jeongyeon off so much that he went to one of the guy’s classes and beat the ever-living hell out of him in the middle of the lecture. She terrified everyone in that class and it took them almost a full thirty seconds to pull her off and come to the guy’s aid. She got suspended, of course, and we never saw the guy again. Though rumor has it he’s still missing a few teeth. “Not to mention you just patched things up with Tzuyu. Do you really wanna this up again?”

 

“Ugh, enough with this stalker . She’s my friend now! We’re friends! Why can’t you two understand that?!” I stood up and went straight to my room, stomping a bit on the way there. I know I acted like a little brat who got denied her candy and I know she was just looking after me, but hearing her say those things and finding out how lowly she thought of Mina really struck a nerve. I knew I needed to calm myself a bit so grabbed my towel, went to the bathroom and took a hot bath.

 

~

 

I stayed for about forty-five minutes which to me is an ungodly amount of time for a bath since it usually only takes me like fifteen minutes, then again relaxing was the primary objective and bathing was only secondary. I got out of the shower and went back to my room for a change of clothes. I realized just how tired I was after getting changed so I lied down and got under the covers hoping to get some shut-eye, that is until I heard a knock on my door. I knew all too well that it was just Jeongyeon and that she probably wanted to talk about what happened earlier so I ignored it. She didn’t stop though and her knocks only got louder. “Can’t you take a hint?!” I shouted from under the covers. She responded with more knocking. Just like that, I got annoyed again, making the bath was a total waste of time. I finally got up to open my door, grunting on the way there. I was more than ready to scream at her for managing to piss me off twice in one night, but as I angrily opened my door, I was face to face with girl that I had been dying to see again.

 

“Hi, Chaeyoung,” she greeted, ever so quietly. I kind of just stood there and stared at her, shocked and unable to respond because I expected to face my roommate instead of her.

 

“Mina! How, um...” How are you here? Why are you here? How did you convince Jeongyeon to let you in? So many questions came to mind.

 

“Um. She actually called me and told me to come over,” she answered. I guess I said that last question out loud. Wait, did I hear that right?

 

“She called you? Why does she have your number? I don’t even have your number.” I didn’t intend to blurt out that last sentence. Great, now I sound like I’m jealous of her.

 

“She has all of our numbers. All of us in class, I mean. She’s sort of in charge since our professor barely ever shows up. It’s a weird situation.” she explained. “But if you’re gonna be all sulky about it, here.” She opened her wallet and proceeded to hand me a business card with her full name and a couple of contact numbers. Even more questions came to mind, mostly about the business card, but a certain something really caught my attention.

 

“Sharon?” I said with a huge, curious smile plastered on my face.

 

“Yeah, what about it?”

 

“Where the hell did that come from?”

 

“Well, if you must know, I was born Texas.”

 

“Oooh, you’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?”

 

“You bet.” We laughed for a moment but things quickly got silent after that. I don’t think either of us were mentally prepared. We haven’t seen each other in weeks and things pretty much went to well the last time we were together. I couldn’t find the right words to say and I could tell by the look on her face that she was finding the awkwardness to be unbearable. I let my actions speak instead and wrapped my arms around her waist, leaning my head on her shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry... I’m sorry about what happened.” I felt her return the hug shortly after my apology.

 

“It’s okay, Chaeng.” I knew it wasn’t okay. No one in their right mind would be okay about something like that happening to them, but I guess she just wanted to move past it. She wanted us to be okay.

 

“I missed you.” Mina smelled really nice, it was almost intoxicating. I felt myself relax in her arms as all the emotions that had overwhelmed me these past few weeks slowly fade into nothing.

 

“I missed you too, Chaeyoung.” I should remember to thank Jeongyeon tomorrow.