This Way

A Thousand Miles (Revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Needless say, she did not call Jonghun that day. She walked Jongin around, showing him the works and introducing him to their colleagues. Pretending. Pretending. Pretending. She did not know him. She was a stranger. Some co-worker forced to mind him because she had all the free time in the world of all the other workers in the building, and it had to be her. It just had to be.

It shouldn’t be.

As she walked with him two steps behind her, she sub-consciously and consciously tried to pretend he was not who he was, she had not shared a past with him where things never ended, things never started. But youth, the start and beginning to adulthood always mattered. That was a lifetime when hearts reigned and foolishness prevailed. That had been a part of her life. What built her up. And young Namjoo had been so wounded from that era that crack still remained buried inside her somewhere.

“Then we’re back to your office.” She kind of paused. Tried not to, but her eyes skimmed his face catching the brown of his gaze. She fought not to let everything inside her glaze over.

“Mr. Yu will be available to help you if you have questions.” Quickly turning in case her steadfast expression wilted she walked off. Yet as she sat at her desk it only felt like the world was melting right at her feet.

⸛⸛⸛⸛⸛

Where is the cafeteria? he had wanted to ask not about Mr. Yu who’d be his aid to any work questions. Maybe they could sit, talk, catch up now that they were finally alone. Only he was getting too ahead of himself.

He and Namjoo alone at a table? It may never happen, but he so wanted it to happen. Now that he was back and Sohee apart from him, he wanted to reconcile. It was stupid, but he didn’t want to be so distant from Namjoo. It already hurt how things were. He could watch her walk down the aisle into Jonghun’s arms, but to never get a greeting or share a conversation with her pained him.

No one would ever understand his relationship with Namjoo, and he didn’t need a third party to get it. He just wanted to know her again. Even if they didn’t vocally clear up what happened, he could forever settle if she talked to him just once.

Jongin could give it all up for that.

He was so pathetically desperate.

Shut in his office he felt the hours pass. When he stepped out into the corridor for breaks, he wondered what Namjoo was doing. Talking to Jonghun? Sharing merry conversations? He already pictured her hard at work, focused on the papers at her desk. Hair tucked behind her ear. A cup of coffee at the side. A modern successful woman, and no one would be able to tell that she’d come from a hardball past.

Jongin was so proud of how far she’d come. Of the things she’d for herself while he was away thinking of how and when to come back, and then not wanting to return until now. Their roads may not have aligned, but their paths were crossing now, and he did not want to waste whatever time they might have before she really became Jonghun’s wife. Which would close him off forever.

That saddened him, but he would honestly be happy for them. He would give them his blessing. When it came to it.

The sun was still casting warmth over the city when he stepped out. The busy roads filled with whizzing tires as he climbed down the steps of the courthouse. Near the edge of the road, he spotted a figure. Landing on the sidewalk he recognized the person. Something jolted inside him.

Clinging onto his keys tightly he approached her. “Long day?”

At the sound of his voice Namjoo seemed to freeze momentarily before looking at him. A point-second glance before she went back to staring at the road, arm waving out for a cab. If there was any coming their way. Luckily, none.

So, she wasn’t staring at the hospital where Dami worked. Now he wondered what they might have talked about when his sister met her. What conversation led to Namjoo saying she didn’t want to see him?

“Where’s your car?” He knew she owned one. Jonghun had boasted Namjoo could drive even before he did. Everything about Namjoo he had paid attention to.

“It’s getting some repairs.” Was all she shared.

“I can give you a lift. Where are you headed?” He offered.

Everything seemed to quiet as Namjoo processed this. Even the breeze seemed to still. Jongin heard his heart thud while waiting for her answer. Realizing a second too late he was staring at her. The nose. The lips. The eyes. Recalling when they’d been young and shy until they broke the ice and he could finally, as a young boy, look at her wholly.

This shy girl who’d entered his home. Giggling and sharing evenings studying. Bonding over miniscule chores like washing dishes or preparing late night snacks. All while being aware of the things unfolding when they were together.

These feelings he’d never really tried to outwalk still existed. They were still there. Jongin still missed her gigantically. How could he bury the feelings that weighed him so heavily?

“Don’t.” Namjoo said stepping off the curb when a cab pulled up. “Just go home.”

He watched the taillights of the car merge into traffic in the distance until he didn’t know which car was which. Locating his vehicle in the parking lot he shut the door as he slid in. For a moment allowing the quiet to sink in. Accepting the fact, he’d tried. Giving up as he pulled out his phone, went into his gallery, and pulled out the photo he’d taken in Jonghun’s apartment.

Namjoo’s brim-to-brim smile peeked at him beautifully.

An instant passed like the blink of an eye before the screen transitioned into call mode. Sohee’s name popped up on the black screen.

“Oh, Sohee,” he answered.

“How’s my man’s first day?” Sohee wondered. “I was waiting for an update.”

“I’m sorry. I must’ve lost sense of time.” Jongin apologized. “But if you’re curious it was uneventful.”

Sohee laughed amused. “I’m on my way home right now. Have to say I don’t miss being a passenger three times in a row. When you come to Pyeongchang let me do the driving.”

He smiled. “Sure. I wouldn’t mind not being at the wheel.”

“I hope you’d be able to come soon. Though I know you just started your job I understand how things can be.” Sohee said. “But it’s a good thing your family’s in the city. You can see them more often now.”

He wished he could share the same sentiment. With Dami, fine. His father was another story. He didn’t want to go too deep into it. That his fallout with his father was over a girl.

“They must miss you. You were abroad for so long and they only visited once.”

He swerved the topic. “You’re about to see the rest of your family. They’re probably eagerly waiting for you.”

“And they’re eagerly waiting to meet you.” Sohee smartly shot back. “So, you definitely have to come soon. And don’t forget about your friend and sister. It’ll be so much more fun with them. I promise I’ll have clean rooms f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter