Faraway

A Thousand Miles (Revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jonghun called her during lunch. She had expected it.

“How’s my pretty lady?” Jonghun asked.

“I’m good,” she replied with a smile. “How’s yours?”

“Busy,” he happily answered then whispered, “my manager is having an affair.”

“Which one?” Namjoo perked up.

“The short brown haired one.” Jonghun said.

“Ouch.” Namjoo commented.

“Yep.” Jonghun agreed. “It’s always amazing how constantly people change after they get married. Lets not be like others, unfaithful.”

The grin of amusement slowly faded from her lips. Immediately thinking of her mother. Always having questioned why love was never fulfilling enough for her. The chain of thought wheeled her back to five years ago when Kim Sua wedded Jongin's dad. Bringing her into their family.

Subconsciously replaying the chain of events that had unfolded from the marriage. The things that changed her life and took her on a roller coaster.

Slowly coming to terms with the fact that love also left a part of her empty. And maybe her mother always felt like that.

“Namjoo? Namjoo, are you ok?” Jonghun called.

“Oh…yea, yea, I’m fine,” she answered returning to present day. Palming her face, she massaged whatever of her forehead with her fingers. “Just tired.”

“You’re probably tired. Take a nap when you get home, ok? I won’t bother you anymore. I’ll call you later,” he promised. “I love you.”

Her eyes flittered down to the spoon floating above her bowl of salad after they hung up. She had questioned herself so many times if this could be it. The best she could have, because Jongin wasn’t returning.

But Jongin had come home, like a cruel twist of fate, when she’d finalized her decision confidently.

Namjoo stared out the window. Toward the cloudless blue sky thinking that her heart was still empty.

At 4:30PM Namjoo walked out of the courthouse tucking her phone into her bag. Another day over. Better yet, her car wouldn’t start. Auto shops were starting to close for the day, but she had managed to call one to come tow her car. She spent another half hour outside waiting for them and writing down place and name where her car would be in repair. Heaving a sigh, she glanced at her watch. Now it was a quarter after five.

It was ok she chanted to herself. Just another day in the city. Nothing new. She would just grab a cab home and then order some takeout. Maybe she’d stop by Jonghun’s. He would console her. Turning away from her workplace she made a turn down the sidewalk. Nearing the bustling street, she spotted a female figure standing by the street lights looking in her direction. Assuming she was waiting for someone Namjoo lifted her arm up to hail a cab.

“Namjoo,” the woman called out making her arm pause halfway. Namjoo watched the figure slowly walk toward her. Recognizing Dami under the pale sky light when she approached.

Pressing her lips together Namjoo waited for her to say something, because she didn’t have anything to say. Still pretty after all these years Dami had her hair in a tight bun. Namjoo saw the familiar hospital logo on her nurse uniform. Wondering if she was doomed with Jongin’s family because that hospital was just across the street from her workplace.

“Can we talk somewhere?” Dami asked. A small smile resided on her face and Namjoo wondered if she was nervous. Namjoo pondered a second if she should reject her. After all, they were strangers now weren’t they?

They found an empty seat in a café close by. Abuzz with energy now that work was out and people were meeting up for the evening. Namjoo thought it was kind of funny that they seemed to fit right into the crowd, looking like two friends sharing a cup of tea after work. Actually, she had never shared even a cup of water with Dami before.

Relaxing into her chair, Namjoo picked up her warm cup of Chai tea. Taking a cautious sip without waiting for Dami to speak. During the time she had walked out with her mother till now she had never seen Dami after that. Neither family had inquired after each other. It was as should be.

Why Dami suddenly came to find her today she didn’t know. She had had no idea Dami was this close by. In a way, it scared her. Dami had known where she’d been all along. Had she said anything to Jongin? Would he…be curious about her?

“You probably think this is weird,” Dami started almost quietly, as if afraid that talking louder might scare Namjoo off.

“It’s weird,” Namjoo said. Weirder that Dami seemed nervous around her, like she was walking on eggshells. The girl Namjoo had known wouldn’t hold back.

Dami smiled again. Anxiously. “I’ve seen you coming and going from the courthouse. I applied as a nurse at the hospital.”

“I think that’s obvious,” Namjoo said glancing at her uniform. She looked at Dami wondering why she was stalling. “What?”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“Well, I’m pretty sure you’re not here to say hi,” Namjoo coldly noted. “Are you curious about my mom?”

“No, no,” she shook her head.

Namjoo flatly stared at her. “Look, Dami…”

“I just…I’m sorry. I want to say I’m sorry.”

Namjoo stared at her this time. Was she here to make a fool out of her? After five damn freaking years when she could have called her out sooner? For some reason, her nerves tightened and she wanted to snap.

“I don’t think you have anything to be sorry about.”

“I just feel I should apologize,” Dami shrank. “Back then I know I was a brat. I didn’t know how to be considerate.”

“I still don’t get why you’re apologizing.” Namjoo stared at her flatly. Now wondering if Dami was on some sort of crack. Exhaling, she reached for her bag, “If that’s all, I have to go.”

“Jongin is back,” Dami blurted before she rose. “He said he’s moving out.”

Namjoo couldn’t help but look at Dami. Curious. Wanting more explanation. Then stopping herself from appearing desperate, like she was still the young girl who had had feelings for him.

“I suppose he should be back,” Namjoo coolly said keeping her emotions closed off. “He was born and raised here after all.”

“That’s all?” Dami asked as Namjoo rose to standing.

“Dami…”

“You don’t want to see him or anything?” Dami wondered.

She did.

Really did.

Only she couldn’t.

What difference would it make seeing Jongin now when she was getting engaged to another? Other than hurting herself. Putting herself in an uncomfortable position, what would she gain from it? Jongin’s friend was about to become the man of her life. None of them could turn back the clock.

“I don’t,” Namjoo answered. Hooking her bag over her shoulder she walked out of the café. Needing air. Wanting to go home and climb into bed to sleep.

⸛⸛⸛⸛⸛

He shouldn’t have gone. He went anyways.

Waking up early Jongin pulled his suitcase after him. First stop was to a homeowner, where a seller was personally putting his Lexus on sale. After verifying his ID, signing some papers, and passing over a key the car was his.

Next plans on his list was to house search, but not before making a first stop. Parking alongside the busy street in front of the giant hospital sign surrounded by thick bushes, Jongin stared at the courthouse. A broadening building with two h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter