Picture-Perfect

A Thousand Miles (Revamped)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The couple rose as they neared. Was it obvious she did not want to be here? Namjoo fought with all her will not to look at Jongin who seemed to have grown taller. He a kind of blur on the other side. Then without due she was left to locking eyes with this woman Jongin was seeing.

She was very feminine. Her hair short reminding Namjoo of her high school cut, but comparing to how shabby her do once was they framed her face perfectly. This high cheek bone girl was born with dainty lips that curved up into the prettiest smile. Straight white teeth. Maybe all she drank was water to avoid yellow stains and brushed her teeth three times daily whereas Namjoo had grown up too lazy to care. She was slim. Maybe dieted ritually and cared about her body like it was a temple. She was tall, like Jongin. God, heels would accentuate her slender legs beautifully.

Jongin’s girlfriend was everything Namjoo wished she’d grown up into.

Her heart cracked a bit for reality was so different. They were really on separate hemispheres now.

“This is Yoon Sohee,” she could hear Jongin introducing as her eyes swept to the side.

Could not look. Could not bear to look.

Jonghun joyfully heehawed beside her as they sat. “So, this is Jongin’s type. I was wondering when Jongin would finally grow up to be a man.”

Sohee beamed and Namjoo supposed, like the light was shining on her. “You must be Jongin’s sister.”

Namjoo’s eyes flickered up to her. A bit stunned she would know this, but then it was also natural she’d been told so. Perhaps Jongin had shared with her everything.

The smile was so genuine Namjoo could not hold it in her heart to harbor any negativity about this meeting. Toward her. In the end, fact was that Jongin had chosen her.

“Yes.” Namjoo answered.

“It’s so nice to meet you. I’ve met Dami before, so I was actually looking forward to seeing more of his family even though I know your parents are no longer together.” Sohee shared. Her tone so delightful with no intent. Maybe she really was just a nice woman.

Namjoo tried a faint smile. “It’s nice to meet you, too.”

A waiter interrupted to pour water into their wine glasses.

“Are you staying in the city, Sohee?” Jonghun curiously asked.

“I will actually be staying in Pyeongchang for a while first. My family owns a ranch.” Sohee answered.

“Wow, a ranch?” Jonghun gasped.

“It’s a popular tourist spot. You should visit once. It’d be a nice dating spot.” Jongin suggested.

Namjoo reached for her glass of water and drained half of it. Did he know she was getting engaged to his friend?

“Speaking about it, why don’t you come visit? Our house is big enough for guests,” Sohee’s pitch grew excited. “There are plenty of things to do you’ll never get bored. Plus, there are many romantic spots.”

“Doesn’t that sound lovely?” Jonghun peered at her.

“Sure.” Was all Namjoo managed.

“Let’s find some time to go. How about it? Wouldn’t it be great to get away from the stinky city?” Jonghun persuaded sharing a look with her.

Sohee giggled. “Stinky city.”

“It is,” Jonghun turned to her to keep the entertaining mood up. “Once you get ingested into the public crowd…”

As their voices faded, Namjoo stared down at the sleek white table cloth wishing she was not here.

⸛⸛⸛⸛⸛

Namjoo had not talked much. To Sohee. To Jonghun. Not even to him. She had not looked at anyone. Even if Jongin so wished she would have been curious about him the least bit, he got nothing. Not even a It’s been a long time. How are you doing? He would have spilled everything.

Being far from home in a land he knew no one had been lonely, but in a way, alleviating. He missed her. Really wished they could have gone to uni together and what kinds of experiences they could have had together. He had wanted to spend those years with her, finishing the rest of their young lives together. Becoming the adults they so wanted. He proving himself worthy and formidable. Namjoo smart and intelligent, taking high roads, going somewhere far.

And that he had never wanted to leave home.

He had been angry, but sadder.

Right now wouldn’t be like right now.

When he asked Jonghun to take care of Namjoo he hadn’t meant this way, but it was what it was. What could be done?

“Let’s meet up some time soon. We really need to catch up.” Jonghun urged. “Won’t you be lonely when your girlfriend’s not here?”

The friend nudged him teasingly. Jongin budged a half step back kind of glancing down the corridor for Namjoo. The girls had gone to wash her hands as they paid.

“I’ll be fine.” Jongin lightheartedly assured.

“Come hang out with me and Namjoo.” Jonghun offered. “I’m sure you don’t have many friends anyway.”

“Hey.” Jongin playfully pushed his friend.

Chuckling happily, Jonghun reminded, “You siblings used to be close. It’d be nice if you two reconnect.”

Not family.

Not anymore.

They had never really been one completely. Thinking back Jongin saw it clearer; the big picture that had been their lives. Jongin had been mere strangers with Namjoo’s mother, a woman who wore makeup mornings, afternoons, evenings as she cooked like it was some kind of disguise she wore around the family. To be the picture-perfect mom; the kinds anyone might see in a magazine. She had never been involved in his or Dami’s lives. Jongin never knew a hint of what kind of woman or mother she truly was.

He wondered how Namjoo saw his dad. The big, evil giant that threw her and her mom out and so coldly? He had been so cruel to her in those last moments. Saying those hurtful words about her. Did she still recall those vile words? Was Namjoo still angry? Upset with his family?

Footsteps emerged and Namjoo came around the corner rubbing her hands together. “We should get going.”

“Let’s talk later.” Jonghun called out as he began pivoting. “Have to get back to work now. Call me.”

Jongin held up a hand to wave, but really, he kept Namjoo in his sight for as long as he could. Even if it was just her back retreating.

They’d not shared one word today.

He was honestly disappointed, but would not hold it in his heart because he’d seen her for the first time in years today. It had been nerve-wracking sitting with Sohee while wearing a calm pretense. His insides had in turn been wild; picking up, kicking, tripping, his heart thudding madly in his head, in his ears. Thinking, thinking: what was he first going to say?

Then his eyes locked on the doors the entire time as he chatted mildly with Sohee. Part of him eager and impatient before the doors opened for t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter