The meeting

My fake Christmas date

On the next morning, Eunha woke up as she heard her phone notification ringtone. She picked it up and blinked as the light was blinding her. She rubbed her eyes and sat down in her bed. She looked again at the phone and clicked on the notif. It opened the ad she posted the day before.

 

Someone had answered it some minutes ago. It vibrated as another answer came up, then another. Eunha was a little surprised as she read the replies. She smiled and started to answer to give an appointment to her suitors.

 

As she had her saturday free Eunha tried to ask for appointment on the same day. To her luck the persons all agreed. Eunha got ready, trying to look her best because first impressions matter and left her house to go on her first meeting.

 

To her surprise, she met a woman there who seemed as surprised as her to see another woman. Eunha sat down and giggled at the weird situation.

 

“I thought you were a guy looking for a girl to accompany him.” said the girl and Eunha made a face. 

 

“I should have been more careful. I’m actually looking for a man...” said Eunha shyly. “I’m sorry for the troubles.” she said as she offered her hand to the girl that shook it and nodded.

 

“It’s okay.” she said as she left.

 

Eunha face palmed herself and took her phone, she reread the ad and actually she never made it clear about her gender but it was clear that this kind of offert were usually made by rich guys looking for an .

 

As her second appointment arrived Eunha stood up. It was a woman again, she seemed very confused and looked around making sure she didn’t made a mistake about the place then she sat in front of Eunha. She was wearing a very short y dress and had her make up perfectly made, she would make a perfect for a rich old man, thought Eunha.

 

“Hello, you are the person that wrote the ad?” she asked unsure and Eunha nodded.

 

“I’m sorry, I just realised I didn’t precise anything in the ad, I’m actually looking for a man.” explained Eunha.

 

The young woman looked at her and arched an eyebrow. “You are cute, I can still pretend with you, I don’t care as long as I get paid.” she said seriously and Eunha bit her lips.

 

“I don’t think it can work, I’m sorry…” she said shyly.

 

The woman stood up and sighed. “Whatever.” she said as she walked away.

 

Eunha asked the barmaid for a drink, one last person to meet and she wasn’t sure she could do it while being sober. She drank it in a one shot and the guy looked at her wide eyes. Eunha gave him back the empty glass and asked for another. The barmaid nodded and went to get another drink for Eunha.

 

Eunha took her time this time and looked at every person entering but most of them were in group of friends or in couple. Eunha checked her phone making sure the last person didn’t message her to cancel but she got nothing.

 

As she looked up she saw two young women, probably around her age that were standing in front of her. Eunha looked around wondering what was going on.

 

The shorter of the two looked at Eunha in the eyes. “You are here for the ad?” she asked unsure and Eunha nodded which made the girl clap happily. “See Sowon! It’s not an old !” said the girl to the taller one who shook her head clearly annoyed to be here.

 

“I told you Yerin I wasn't going to to that! I’m not an , I need money but I won’t bring myself so low.” she said before looking at Eunha. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know she messaged you for me. We are sorry to bother you.”

 

Eunha looked at her, she was pretty, she was tall and seemed to be a simple girl, not like the eccentric girls she met before. Without knowing why Eunha stopped them as the tall girl was dragging her friend away.

 

“Wait.” she said and they both stopped and turned around. “What about 4000?” asked Eunha seriously.

 

Seeing neither of them said anything Eunha took a deep breath. “I’m not looking for an …” she said. “And my ad was so bad, only woman came to me when I wanted a fake boyfriend.” she explained and Yerin took a step closer while Sowon followed her. “My family is forcing me into many guys every time I visit them and I just want them to leave me alone so I can enjoy vacations with them.” explained Eunha.

 

“I can give you 2000 now and 2000 after the weekend if everything goes well.” added Eunha. “It’s too late for me to look for a decent guy that would do the job now...”

 

“She looks desperate...” whispered Yerin to Sowon. “It’s your chance to ask for more money…”

 

“Shut up.” just told her Sowon before looking at Eunha. “I will… okay I will do it.” said Sowon shaking her head not believing herself. “But we need clear rules, and you are paying all my expenses for the full weekend.” said Sowon determined and Eunha nodded.

 

“No problem.” nodded Eunha. “I think it will be an interesting weekend. Thinking about it my parents may be a little shocked but it’s probably even better than bringing a fake boyfriend.”

 

Sowon seemed a little unsure now. “They won’t be mad and hate me?” asked Sowon now.

 

“Oh no no, I don’t think…” answered Eunha not so sure herself. “If anything goes wrong I will tell them the truth don’t worry.” explained Eunha.

 

“Well then I guess we’re doing it.” smiled Yerin excited. “My name is Yerin, and this pretty girl that will be your girlfriend for the weekend is Sowon.” introduced Yerin politely.

 

“You, you are doing nothing.” said Sowon to her best friend.

 

“You could be thankful for once.” pouted Yerin. “And maybe invite me too?”

 

Eunha smiled. “My name is Eunha, and well my family will organise a big VIP party for christmas with a charity sale, I will make sure you are invited to the event, if you are into fake smiles, fancy dress and champagne...” 

 

“Of course! count on me!” smiled Yerin winking at Sowon.

 

“Anyway.” said Sowon looking at Eunha. “We should start preparing.” she said as she sat down on the table and asked a coffee at the barmaid. Yerin started to sit down too but Sowon eyed her. “Don’t you have to go to work?” she asked her and Yerin pouted again.

 

“Yeah, I’m going, and you better tell me everything later!” she said before smiling and waving at Eunha before leaving.

 

“You have some time?” asked Sowon and Eunha nodded. “Then, how do you want me to act in front of your family?” 

 

Eunha hesitated. “I don’t know, just be yourself I guess, then around them you will just have to stay by my side, hold my hand and hug me time to time, pretending to be into me…” she said shyly and Sowon smiled as the coffee arrived to their table.

 

“I think I can do that.” said Sowon taking a sip. “What are you planing to tell them about ‘us’...? How do we meet, when?”

 

Eunha was a little surprised, she didn’t think about all this, it seemed so simple when Yuju suggested the idea of a fake date but it would be more complicated than expected.

 

“We could have meet at work?” proposed Eunha hesitating and Sowon made a face.

 

“It won’t work, I have many little jobs, no way someone like you met someone like me through work…” said Sowon. “Actually we’re so different, if it wasn’t for this ad I think we would have never meet…”

 

Eunha bit her lips, Sowon was right, they had nothing in common, how could they have met when they are so opposite. “Do you have hobbies?” tried Eunha.

 

Sowon shook her head. “I’m the boring type of person, I like to lay in bed and watch tv on my free time.” she said and Eunha sighed.

 

“Not the worst hobby.” she said as she would also enjoy days like that when she could. “We could have meet through common friends?” proposed Eunha now. “Don’t you think about anyone?”

 

Sowon started to think about it but her only friend was Yerin. Then the image of Umji ran into her head. “Oh! I think I know!” exclaimed Sowon. “I know a young girl, I tutor her, her family is really rich and sell houses in your family’s neighborhood.”

 

“Are you talking about Umji?” asked Eunha as she knew Umji’s family was one of the biggest house seller in the area.

 

“You know her?” asked Sowon surprised.

 

“Of course, we were neighbors when we were kids, we lost contact when I went to study abroad.” explained Eunha.

 

“That’s good, we find out how we met, Umji introduced us to each other?” said Sowon. “I’m sure she would be okay to play along.”

 

“I don’t know…” suddenly said Eunha shyly. “I’m a little ashamed to let her know I have to pay someone to pretend to date me…”

 

Sowon looked at Eunha and understood. “Umji is the most understanding girl I know, she even pushed me to reply to the ad…I can ask her if you’re not comfortable doing it....?”

 

Eunha looked down. “No it’s okay I think we could both do it?”

 

Sowon smiled and nodded. Eunha looked at Sowon’s face, the tall girl was really pretty. “I guess we’re good for now, here’s my number.” said Sowon as she took out a pen from her bag and write it down on a paper napkin. “Message me when you want to meet for asking Umji’s help.” added Sowon as she stood up.

 

Eunha took the napkin and folded it gently before putting it in her pocket, she stood up and realised Sowon was really tall. She had really long legs, Eunha wished she could be as tall and pretty as Sowon.

 

“I should give you the first half now.” suddenly said Eunha looking inside her purse but Sowon shook her head. 

 

“You can pay me the first part before we go to your family, in case we end up not doing it I rather not take the money now.” explained Sowon and Eunha nodded understanding.

 

“Right.” she said. “Let me at least pay for your drink.” said Eunha as she didn’t give Sowon time to reply and went to pay the barmaid then she joined Sowon again and they walked out. 

 

It was mid december now and the cold weather was around already, sky was grey most of the time and wind was freezing some days but it didn't snow yet.

 

Sowon quickly buttoned up her coat then looked over at Eunha beside her. The short girl was struggling with her zip as she already put her gloves. Sowon faced her and zipped her coat before adjusting Eunha’s scarf.

 

Once she was done Sowon stopped herself and looked at Eunha who blushed a little, not sure if it was because of Sowon’s closeness or because of the cold wind on her cheeks.

 

Eunha quickly looked down. “Thank you…” she shyly said. 

 

“You’re welcome.” said Sowon as took a step away, looking everywhere but at Eunha.

 

Then they both giggled. “What an awkward couple we will make if we start like that.” said Eunha looking at Sowon who was smiling.

 

“It’s just weird, we don’t know each other and should feel comfortable already…?” said Sowon seriously. “I think it will take some times…”

 

“Sadly we don’t have time.” said Eunha as she got closer to Sowon to hide from the cold breeze beside the tall girl. “We have a week, then friday morning we have to go into my family house till Monday. We will have to spend time helping them with the preparation of the VIP party then the next day we will whare a good lunch with only close family and exchange christmas gifts.”

 

Sowon nodded. “I will ask for some days off.” she said before looking at the time. “Talking about work, I have to go soon.” she informed.

 

Eunha looked around. “Which way are you going? I could walk with you so we can talk and get to know each other a little?” asked Eunha nicely and Sowon nodded.

 

They walked together as Eunha started explaining to Sowon how her family was, she talked about her mom, her dad, her aunts and uncles, her cousins. Sowon was listening and trying to prepare herself to meet all those people. Eunha talked about the things she liked and before realising she took Sowon’s arm into hers. 

 

“Is it okay?” she asked as Sowon suddenly tensed up.

 

“Yeah I guess it’s okay, I wasn’t expecting it.” she answered.

 

Eunha smiled. “You should get used to it, I’m really affectionate and my family know it, they will expect me to be super clingy with my lover.” explained Eunha laughing.

 

Then Sowon stopped walking. Eunha looked around. “It’s here?” she asked as they were in front of a little shop.

 

Sowon nodded. “Yeah.” she said sighing.

 

“It looks... nice.” said Eunha politely.

 

Sowon giggled. “It’s not, I wonder how come it’s still open but well I get paid every weeks so…”

 

Eunha hesitated. “You tutor students right? So you must be smart and did studies... how come you work here...?”

 

“I guess I don’t have luck, I went to many jobs interviews but never got called back… I studied during 5 years and got a diploma but here I am…” explained Sowon sadly.

 

Eunha patted her arm. “Keep looking around you will find a nice job I’m sure.” smiled Eunha and Sowon nodded. “Well I don’t want my new girlfriend to be in trouble so I will let you work now.” joked Eunha before waving at Sowon and walking away. “I will message you as soon as I get home so you will also have my number in case you need anything.” said Eunha before walking away for good.