The ad

My fake Christmas date

Eunha sighed as the hang up the phone, her family was having one big celebration for christmas, once again. Eunha hated these family dinners, she hated having to greet all her relative and answer all their personal questions. Eunha hated to fake smiles and listen to her family talking about her inexistant love life.

 

The worst was Eunha’s mother, who kept repeating her everytime they see each other that she should hurry to find a husband. The previous year, Eunha’s mother had invited some old classmates of Eunha to try to set her up with one of them. Eunha hated that her family was pushing men into her arms.

 

Eunha never really dated anyone, she was young and she just finished her studies, she was working in a little company as a manager and liked her work, she was focusing on her professional life before thinking about pleasing her parents.

 

To be honest Eunha never meet any guy that woke the little flame in her. She knew some handsome men of course and many were after her but she wasn’t interested, none of them had this little thing, the sparkling thing that Eunha was waiting for. 

 

She tried to explain this to her mother and her family members, but they would all call her picky before trying to introduce her to some guys.

 

“What’s happening?” asked Yuju, and Eunha looked up to meet eyes with her best friend.

 

“Family dinner…” she said rolling her eyes. “I’m trying to think about an excuse to not go but I’m sure everyone will be disappointed…” she explained.

 

Yuju giggled. “I hope this time they won’t trick you into some blind dates like last year.” she said as Eunha would tell her everything about her life.

 

Eunha sighed again. “I bet they will…”

 

“Bring someone then.” said Yuju seriously as she continued scrolling through her phone till the oven rang. “Oh pizza is ready!” she said as the rushed to the oven.

 

Eunha was eyeing her. “What do you mean bring someone?” she asked confused. “I would of course if I had someone to bring!”

 

Yuju took out the pizza from the oven and put it on the kitchen counter. “A fake date or something, you can find someone that would agree to come with you and pretend to date you in front of your family in exchange of some money or something.” explained Yuju as she was inspecting her pizza. “I think I nailed it this time.” she said proudly. “Are you staying over for dinner with me?”

 

Eunha looked at the pizza and hesitated. “I will if you buy me some takes out, I do not trust your cooking skill.” she said as she pointed at the pizza who was half burned.

 

Yuju made a face. “Okay, I will order a real pizza…” she said taking her phone out. Eunha listened to Yuju taking the order as she was thinking about what her best friend just suggested.

 

As Yuju hang up Eunha jumped on the counter and sat on it before glaring at Yuju in the eyes. “Do you think I should do something like that?” she asked and Yuju looked back at her confused.

 

“What?”

 

Eunha rolled her eyes. “Bring a fake date so my family won’t try to set me up and I can enjoy the holiday normally this time.” explained Eunha and Yuju nodded.

 

“Why not?” answered Yuju. “You have money and you’re cute, I bet a lot of guys would be glad to do that for you.” she said and Eunha nodded.

 

“You know what, I will do it.” said Eunha determined as she took the glass of wine Yuju served her and drank it in one go. “I’m so tired to hear the same things all the time, I will show them I can find someone myself and make them stop messing with my life.” she said as she jumped down of the counter and took Yuju’s laptop. 

 

“You’re doing it?” asked Yuju a little surprised by Eunha’s sudden excitement.

 

“Yeah, help me write an ad?” asked Eunha and Yuju smiled as she came beside her with the glasses and the bottle ready to start to help her…

 

***

 

On the other side of the city, Sowon was in the library, she was tutoring a younger girl. Sowon was a smart girl, she finished her studies some years ago but was very unlucky in finding a good job. No matter how hard she tried she couldn’t make it. So she accumulated many ty jobs, she was cleaning offices in a bank building, she was part time cashier in a little shop, and gave tutoring to students.

 

On this day Sowon was tutoring Umji, the girl was polite nice and very smart, except in math. Umji’s family was very rich and payed Sowon a lot for her service so Sowon was helping Umji very seriously, even if that would mean that soon Umji would be good enough and wouldn’t hire her again.

 

Sowon was explaining a problem to Umji when Yerin, Sowon’s best friend arrived at the table laughing.

 

“Shh!” warned Sowon but the library lady glared at them with an angry look. “Sorry…” mouthed Sowon to the lady who still glared at them.

 

Sowon hit Yerin’s arm. “Can’t you shut up or they will forbid us to come next time!” she whispered madly and Yerin nodded like a little kid who just got scolded. Umji giggled at the scene.

 

“What’s so important?” asked Sowon waiting for Yerin to explain.

 

Yerin showed her phone to Sowon. “I was surfing on the web and look at the ad I saw!” she said whispering and trying not to laugh to hard.

 

“You almost got us kicked out for an ad?” asked Sowon frowning.

 

“But look at it!” insisted Yering. “There’s a weirdo that is looking for a fake date to go see his family for a full weekend. And the guy is ready to pay 2000$!” explained Yerin.

 

Sowon sighed.

 

“You should try it out!” added Yerin. “You told me you were short with money this month. It’s easy cash.” she said and Sowon shook her head.

 

“I’m not an girl or something.” she said a little upset. “It’s just too much money anyway, it’s probably a scam or something.” she added. “I need to help Umji with her last exercice.”

 

Yerin nodded but was disappointed that Sowon didn’t even give a look at the ad.

 

“Can I see?” asked Umji suddenly and Yerin sat back beside Umji to show her the phone. The younger girl read the ad and arched an eyebrow. “I think I know this family, the ad seem true to me, it said that it’s for a weekend in a city I know well, my family sell lot of houses there, big houses actually it’s a very rich neighborhood.” explained Umji rereading the ad once again. “If I was you I would rethink it and give it a chance.” said Umji and Sowon looked at her mouth open in shock.

 

“Are you seriously suggesting me to go play the date of a rich stranger?” asked Sowon not believing it.

 

“Why not?” asked Umji. 

 

“See?” asked Yerin proud now. “Plus it can be so cool to spend the weekend with rich people.” she said before looking at Umji. “I mean pretending to be a rich or something.”

 

“Not better.” said Umji and Yerin made a face.

 

“Okay I will let you guys work.” said Yerin before walking away from their table. 

 

Sowon finished to help Umji with her exercice then give Umji some minutes to do it alone to see if the young girl understood the explanations.

 

“I’m done.” said Umji but Sowon was lost in thoughts. “Sowon?” asked again Umji and Sowon suddenly looked at her.

 

“Yeah?” she asked confused.

 

“I’m done.” she repeated and Sowon took the paper to give it a look.

 

“It’s very good Umji, you worked well like always, soon you won’t need me anymore.” smiled Sowon.

 

Umji smiled. “Even if I don’t need you anymore, I hope you would still help me, I kinda enjoy studying with you…” she said shyly and Sowon patted her head.

 

“Of course, everything for my favorite student.” she said with a wink.

 

Umji packed her stuff and stood up. “Sowon?” she asked and Sowon looked at her. “Will you think about the ad?” she asked and Sowon shook her shoulders. “If you need money that much and don’t want to do that I can lead you the cash you need…” proposed Umji nicely.

 

Sowon shook her head. “Don’t worry, I’m fine, but thank you.” said Sowon in a reassuring tone. “You should go before it’s too dark.”

 

“Yes mommy!” joked Umji sticking out her tongue before walking away.