Return to innocence

I Read Your Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Author's POV:

 

 

The conversation which Jessica had with Krystal for nearly half an hour made her space out for a while. Only after a few minutes had passed, she finally came back to her senses again.

 

She decided to check on the person who has been missing for twenty years by moving to the three-seater couch where she had left her. With her, she brought two small bottles of mineral water. The unnie has the TV to watch the news during the time when she was still on the phone with Krystal. She heard the unnie kept on gasping and shaking her head to search something from the smart TV at those times. Actually, it concerns her to see the unnie was being distress like that. The unnie's reaction was really telling her that she wasn't lying about being scared of knowing she was already in the future. Now, what Krystal said awhile ago rang in her head again.

 

'Have you heard yourself now, Jessi? There's no time travel in this world. That kind of thing can only happen in a movie. I can only see two possibilities here. Either she might be a junkie, or she might encounter memory loss or amnesia from an accident that we never know. You said that she remembers you as a teen and the day when typhoon Mega hit South Korea, right? Maybe her long-term memory until typhoon Mega remains intact, but she failed to create new memory after that day. That's why she didn't aware about how many years have passed. She's in her own loop, Jessi. She thought today is the same day as twenty years ago. We never search her in any mental health facility before. Maybe she had an accident, and she is Jane Doe in one of the facilities. She only found her way out yesterday or today. My advice to you, you should be careful with her right now. Like not to terrify her more about the future. I think, we need to bring her to the hospital to take her blood for a few tests and to do the MRI scan on her brain. Yes, we! Please wait till I arrive there. You are a famous musician. People can easily spot you. You don't want the media to create a headline on this story if they knew you already found the person you have been looking all these years. You get what I mean, right? The stress that you might give to that person more? Fret not! I have a connection who works in a hospital in Seoul. I will try to make an arrangement with them. In the meantime, please hold her right there to stay with you. And be vigilant on your safety more than anything. I will try my very best to get the latest flight if the storm already clear from the sky.'

 

Jessica disagrees with Krystal's first assumption that saying the unnie was an addict. Consuming drugs will make people look old and disorganized, whereas the unnie maintained her young appearance like twenty years ago. She doubts Krystal's second assumption too. Memory loss? Mental health facility? How the unnie still could maintain her ginger hair if she was being held in any mental health facilities? She knew the unnie's hair is not a natural hair color. Her ginger hair for a decade was inspired by the unnie. It requires maintenance to dye back the root. So, it really doesn't add up to her. The conversation that she had with Krystal somehow made her worry if other people will have the same thought if the unnie proclaimed she never leave anywhere.

 

Jessica took the remote control from the unnie's hand to press ‘power off’ for good after placing down the mineral water on the table which the unnie refused to take by shaking her head. Jessica thought, turning off the TV will give the unnie a break from something that might bring her a nerve right now. At least, Krystal was right about that. She should not give too much pressure to the unnie that she wanted to believe really had travelled to the future.

 

She sat on the couch with her left leg that she folded to her side before adjusting herself to face the unnie beside her. She makes sure they have a little gap because she's afraid if it might scare the unnie more for any unnecessary physical contact – the thing that she remembers scared the unnie while they were on the bed. She got to sit there since the unnie can't see distant object clearly. This is it when she thought, she wants to give the unnie the chance to explain herself more so she could think before she could give a comment like what the unnie asked her not long ago. About the unnie's side story if she believes it or not.

 

"This sweatshirt that I’m wearing... Is it really the sweatshirt that I gave to you?" Taeyeon inquired before Jessica could say something.

 

She recalled the sweatshirt reminds her to the teen upon receiving it earlier. It's so far-fetched. She couldn't imagine something like this could happen. Wearing the same sweatshirt that she just gave to the teen yesterday. Everything is so unbelievable to her. She wanted to deny the truth, but the news that she saw on the TV convince her enough. She had to believe she was already in the future like what Jessica claimed. Recalling to what Jessica stated about yesterday, or twenty years for Jessica was really accurate too. It's impossible if Jessica's a stalker. Because Jessica wouldn't know about the menu she cooked for the teen, her conversation with the teen, about her phone which had been taken by the teen, and about her staff's name accurately. She even saw Jessica's younger sister that she thought as the teen.

 

The experience of talking live with Jessica's younger sister from a phone screen really takes her to another level about future technology. Just like how impressed she was when she used induction cooktop. She only knew live image like that can be shared from a webcam by using a computer. The pixel was kind of bad and not clear, anyway. Nothing like what she had seen awhile ago. It was mind-boggling to experience future technology.

 

Other than amazement, she’s also feeling distressful and lost. If not because of the snowstorm, she believes she already run back to her property to check the machine that might be the reason how she had been transported to the future. She racks her brain enough! Recalling the last thing she did before all of this happened. She had no doubt about her instinct.

 

"I said twenty years ago, I will return the things that unnie lent me on that day." Jessica reminisced back her memory. The sweatshirt the unnie is wearing now really has a sentimental value to her. It's more expensive than any other valuable item she had. "I bring this sweatshirt with me every time I go somewhere. It’s kind of faded now. I used it a lot during the first year when I have it from unnie. Then, it became a treasure to me the year after. Knowing that unnie still missing makes me so afraid to use it so often. I want to see unnie again and to return it to unnie personally one day just like what I've stated on that day." Jessica believed it's like her motivation to believe the unnie still live somewhere. "So, I tried to preserve it very well. I kept the other items that unnie gave me too, but this sweatshirt is my favourite. Sorry, it's faded now. I didn't mean to make unnie wears something faded. I just didn't know how I should return it back to unnie or tell unnie about I actually knew who you are."

 

"You knew who I was at that time?" Taeyeon refers to the moment she received the sweatshirt from Jessica.

 

Jessica hummed, "I recognized unnie from the beginning our eyes met. Unnie kind of surprised me... Unnie looks just th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter