Chapter 4

Standing In The Middle Of Parallel Lines

 "Okay, okay. Minhyun. I need to tell you something. The contract deal is now nullified."
"W-WAIT WHAT?!?!?!?!"

Those line Minhyun lost for words. He didnt expect that even though the session hasnt been started yet, they just told him those words just like that.

"WHY?! What happened, sir?"
"The songwriting committee and the CEO already decided to terminate the contract. We just found out that the composition you wrote during the festival was a plagiarised copy of an English song."
"SERIOUSLY?? WHAT? Sir, I even wrote the song and melodies by myself. How come you say that it was plagiarised? I will prove it to you with my original copy he--" His tears were already flowing.
"I'm really sorry, Mr. Hwang. It was the decision from the committee. We couldnt do anything."
"JUST LIKE THAT?! Fine, sir. Do whatever you want, but one thing for sure. I didnt plagiarised that song or whatever. I made that festival composition by myself."

He then packed his things and walked out of the door towards the elevator going down. He was trying his best to compose himself like nothing happened although deep inside he was beyond hurt. As he was already on the ground floor, he was being welcomed by Jonghyun and Seongwoo who were eating apple pies from McDonalds.

"Yow Hwang. That's too fast. Is it already finished?" Seongwoo asked.
"Yep. It's just the producers are not here in the building. They said I will go back here next week." He smiled.
"Okay, then let's go out now. We have to eat dinner and buy ice cream after." Jonghyun tagged the two literally with his both hands.
"Sounds cool!"

On the other hand, the person Minhyun spoke with was one of the most prominent music producers in JYPE, Park Jaehyung. He used to be in a band, but decided to quit to pursue his passion of being a producer. As Minhyun walked out of the studio, he stood still for a few minutes before his phone was swinging on the pocket of his sweater, and seemed that he was going to answer a call.

"Yeah, yeah. I've already terminated the contract...what now?"
"You can replace someone instead."
"And who would be? You? Are you even out of your ing mind, Kang Younghyun?"
"Just please, bro. I promise I will do my best just to be a songwriter. You know that youre the only one I have to fulfill my dream, bro."
"Ughhh...I dunno, bro. Maybe I'll think about it."
"Thank you so much, bro. Dont worry, I owe you a lobster."
"Damn, youre making me tease, and now I'm hungry. By the way, where are you now?"
"I'll text you the place. I'm outside right now."
"Okay, I'm waiting."

Then, he hung up the call just to wait for the message in which he received less than a minute.

From: Younghyun
"Bro, I'm already on my way there in JYPE building. Just wait for me there."

From: Jaehyung
"Okay."

Jaehyung and Younghyun were bestfriends since middle school when Younghyun used to study in Toronto for 3 years, and he met his one-year senior Jaehyung in a 3-month summer music class during his second year of staying in city, and got very close after being paired for the final project. They also still got in touch with each other even when Jaehyung needed to go back to LA right after, then a year after, Younghyun also needed to go back to Korea as he completed middle school. They met again in Korea 7 years later when Jaehyung was being hired to be one of the JYPE music producers in which Younghyun was very determined to get in. Both of them like composing and writing music, especially when it's in pop-rock and rock ballad genre.

Few minutes after, and Younghyun already arrived in front of JYPE building for Jaehyung, who was now waiting at the lobby of the ground floor. He already sent him a text message to notify.

From: Younghyun
"Bro, I'm already here. Where are you?"

Younghyun stood stll in fron of the building when not long ago after he texted his bestfriend, Jaehyung was already going outside to meet him.

"Hey, bro!"
"What are you doing here, bro?"
"I just finished my classes today, and remember that you need to find a replacement."
"Let's talk outside the premises."

Jaehyung decided to shut Younghyun off for a while, and drag him to the cafe near JYPE building for a treat. Jaehyung bought two Iced Americano drinks using his own money, and went to an empty table.

"I know that you really like to work in JYPE with me, and I also know that being a songwriter here is your dream, but... but WHY?"
"W-what do you mean with your why, bro?"
"We all know what we're talking about."
"Ahhhhh. That guy? Dont you know that he clearly cheated? He plagiarised an English song."
"I've already heard that song and it's kinda bit similar, but it's ing not the same."
"But they have the same beat."
"But that doesnt mean theyre totally the same. I thought you know it better, Younghyun. We studied music together, remember?"
"Yeah I know."
"But why did you hate that guy so much?"
"He's slowly taking what I have away from me! And whenever I see him, I feel like my blood is boiling even more."
"But bro, dont you think it's kinda unfair on his part?"
"But it's not enough for him to pay for playing with my dreams and feelings."
"SERIOUSLY? KANG YOUNGHYUN? ARE YOU SO ING DESPERATE FOR THE PRIZE?" Jaehyung suddenly stood up out of his frustration.
"YES, I AM," Younghyun screamed, then went back to his normal voice, "I honestly wanted to be a songwriter or even learn more on how to make or produce music in a famous company."

The two of them continued staring at each other with blazing fire on their eyes, but in different perspective. Jaehyung couldnt believe at what his bestfriend did, and he was honestly lost for words. He couldnt believe that the man he knew for more than 10 years would step on the lower level. Younghyun, on the other hand, was really eager to get what he wanted, and his dream was being included.

"Maybe, I'll think about it. For now, you should go home, bro."
"But we're not yet do--"
"We have nothing to talk about furthermore since I have a meeting later on. I'll let you know if there's a chance for you to replace Mr. Hwang. I gotta go now."
"Bro--"
"You should go home now, Younghyun. It's already sunset." Jaehyung patted his shoulder.

Younghyun's face suddenly turned into mixed emotions: anger, guilt, and hurt as Jaehyung walked out of the cafe.


[October 24th, 11pm]



It's already an hour before midnight, and the three friends were watching Netflix movies in Minhyun's house using Jonghyun's account, and theyre even watching some animated movies (this was Jonghyun's fault btw), especially How To Train Your Dragon series, but ironically, theyre eating jokbal with beer for two and one glass of milk since Minhyun couldnt drink any alcohol. They arrived n his house at 6pm after they bought their dinner and alcohol. Jonghyun and Seongwoo decided to hang out at Minhyun's house right after their JYPE escapade. They were supposed to buy ice cream as they agreed, but after they got out of the area premises, the three started to argue until the three agreed to watch movies at Minhyun's house.

As they were watching the movie, and they were on the , Seongwoo started to tear up.

"YAAAAAH SEONGWOO DONT BE SO DRAMATIC. IT'S JUST A SCENE." Jonghyun lightly hit Seongwoo's head.
"MAYBE IF YOU COULD JUST SHUT UP AND FEEL THE SCENE. YOU KNOW. " Seongwoo used a hand gesture while spitting back jokingly.
"You know what, eat it." Jonghyun suddenly put the large portion of jokbal into Seongwoo's mouth.
"YAAAAAH IM NOT YET DONE WITH YOU, MOTHERER." Seongwoo also did the swme to Jonghyun.
"Okay, forget about the movie. This is real action." Minhyun acted like a referee and had his phone ready for capturing the video of their food fight.
"Youre ing dead, Minhyun!"
"Well, too late. ROOOUUNNDD 1. FIGHT."

The two had their jokbal ready for Minhyun in which he ran quickly so that they wouldnt chase him until few seconds later, and the doorbell was ringing.

"Who's theeeere?" Minhyun shouted, then ran towards the door to know who's outside and who rang the doorbell, but as he opened the door, the person alone made him surprised.
"Uhh... hello Minhyun..."