Chapter 2

Standing In The Middle Of Parallel Lines

 "Ah, here comes the untalented fake champion."

Those words came from someone whom Minhyun didnt want to associate with. From someone who thought Minhyun stole the opportunities from him. And lastly, from someone who's in the same school, course and year as him, and competed with him last night, and yes, that's right. Kang Younghyun.

"Uuhhmmm... did you just go all the way here to belittle me and my ability?"
"Maybe no, but almost yes. You dont know anything about songwriting. You just get help by your beloved frie---"
"Maybe if you shut the up and have some research because you dont know anything," Jonghyun suddenly went furious at what Younghyun said about Minhyun.
"Or maybe if you shut up too because I also did some research, and for the record, I'm not even taking to you, pathetic." Younghyun fired Jonghyun back.
"So, what kind of research did you do?" Minhyun planted a fake smile.
"Oh well, according to some sources, you bribed Professor Kim some money." Younghyun planted an evil grin.
"Oh, is that all? Well, ask him personally if you want the truth. Because if you dont have any good thing to do, can we excuse us," Minhyun then gave Jonghyun a signal, "bro let's go. We're just wasting our time here."

As the two bestfriends were going out of the scene, Younghyun shouted.

"WELL, YOU HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE, PATHETIC WEIRDOS."

But they just ignored him, and continued walking. This was not the first time Younghyun and Minhyun spat against each other with words. Since they went to the university in the same year, it was during their second year in the campus that he somewhat considered Minhyun as his rival in academics and competition until things got personal, and the rivalry between them become much deeper. Minhyun tried his best to avoid having any connections with Younghyun, but the latter didnt let him leave alone, which made Minhyun fed up and sometimes spat Younghyun back.

Regarding Minhyun and Jonghyun's friendship, they used to be classmates when they were in high school, but they started to get closer and become best friends when they became buddy system to each other during their trip to Tokyo for vacation as graduation gifts to themselves when they graduated high school, and they even entered Dongguk University together, but with different course since Jonghyun's major was marketing. During their stay in Dongguk since their first year, Jonghyun personally witnessed how Minhyun and Younghyun's relationship turned from simple acquiantance/classmates to rivals real quick, and how Younghyun always twisted and accused Minhyun for something that he and Minhyun weren't aware of.

The two walked away quickly from that site as they didnt want to be in the scenario at the first place, and continued their agenda to buy ice cream.

"When will that head Younghyun stop pestering you?" Jonghyun was so annoyed.
"Just dont mind him. I dont even wanna deal with that anyway."
"I mean, you didnt even get some help from me or Seongwoo because duuhh we were all busy with the pre-finals requirements."
"You know what, you should treat me ice cream instead. You keep on complaining." Minhyun chuckled.
"YAAAAAH! IM NOT EVEN COMPLAINING."
"Okay, if you say so, but oh by the way, we've already reached our destination." Jonghyun didnt realise it until Minhyun notified him.
"Well, what are waiting for?"

The two bestfriends already reached the convenience store, and started looking for their fave ice cream flavors to unwind themselves. Minhyun picked grapefruit flavor ice cream, while Jonghyun got vanilla flavor.

As they were in the long queue for payment, Jonghyun called their beloved friend aka Seongwoo.

"YAAAAA SEONGWOO!"
"YOW BRO. WAZZUP?" Seongwoo answered the call.
"I and Minhyun are here in the convenience store near the cafeteria. Wanna join us?"
"I honestly want to, but I cannot right now. I need to study cos I have a long quiz for my major subject tomorrow."
"Awww too bad we're about to treat you some ice cream."
"YAAAAAH YOU DIDNT EVEN TELL ME EARLIER. I BADLY WANT TO CHILL OUT T.T" Seongwoo made some baby crying sounds.
"Dont worry we'll save one for you. Just meet us tomorrow after the quiz, alright?"
"YAY THANK YOU JONGHYUN! YOURE THE BEST! AND ALSO TELL MINHYUN CONGRATS FOR THE WIN LAST NIGHT!"
"Dont worry, I will. You need you study now. Bye."
"Byeeeee" Jonghyun hanged up the call.
"What did Seongwoo said?" Minhyun asked.
"He couldnt join us today. He has a long quiz to study."
"Poor Seongwoo, but you said we'll gonna meet him tomorrow right?"
"Yep. Dont worry," Jonghyun suddenly changed the topic, "by the way, I heard you won a songwriting deal with JYP Entertainment for two years, right?"
"Yep."
"WOW, MY BESTFRIEND IS GOING TO BE A PROFESSIONAL SONGWRITER!!!"
"Although I prefer Pledis, being trained in JYP for songwriting is honestly not that bad. I honestly cant wait to have a songwriting session with JYP sunbaenim soon!"
"I will look forward to that soon!"

It was already their turn to pay for the ice cream to the cashier, and went to the table to eat. During that time, they talked a lot about their school stuff and their life and chosen career after graduation, which would take place on next semester.


[October 23rd, 2pm]


A sunny afternoon came, and the whole campus was back at its peaceful state since some students were having classes, and some already went home. In the College of Music building, senior students were now taking Singing Technique class under Professor Kim Jongwoon, and passing the said major subject is a must for them to graduate, as Professor Kim was a versatile singer, and was known for having an art-like voice, and he expected all students under that subject to pass.

While Professor Kim was discussing a new lesson about the correct technique when singing ballad songs to the students, he initiated the recitation in which made the students freaked out.

"Okay, so I would be having a surprise graded recitation today. I'm going to ask you some random questions about the lesson, and let's see what did you know for today."
"WHAT? SERIOUSLY SIR? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" Seungwan was so annoyed.
"HOW CAN WE EVEN REMEMBER IF WE DONT HAVE A TEXTBOOK?" Another student Im Jaebeom also complained.
"THIS IS SO UNFAIR, PROFESSOR!" It was Younghyun.
"EXACTLY. We dont need textbooks for now to test your stock knowledge, and if you dont want to participate, it's okay, but I would automatically give an F grade."

Professor Kim made the students snapped in an instant, and sat on their respective chairs. With his annoyed face, he started the session with an unexpected question, and the first one that he called was...

"Alright, so Mr. Kang Younghyun."

Hearing his name made Younghyun terrified, clueless and annoyed at the same time.

"If youre singing a ballad song, what is the most important thing to do first?"

This kind of question made the boy answered confidently.

"Of course, we need to have vocalization first because you will belt out your voice during high notes."
"Okay, but can you demonstrate us your answer?"
"Yes, professor, is it okay if I use my composition."
"It's okay."

Younghyun stood still while thinking and preparing a song for the demonstration of his answer, and he did vocalization first from the normal tone to the 4th-5th octave until it goes higher in which made the students impressed and clapped.

"So, here's the short verse of a song I wrote...

My weak and lame self
Will crumble your expectations?
I've covered it up, but as time passes
The
coverings have fallen off and ripped
You've finally seen me

Thank you."

The students clapped so hard as the lyrics and the high notes made them impressed, and so was Professor Kim.

"You did a great job, Younghyun. What is the title, by the way?"
"I havent think about that for the title, professor. I dunno how to name the song, but it's about the cover or facade when facing other people and the real self."
"The overview of those lyrics alone is very interesting. I like it."
"Thank you so much professor." Younghyun smiled.
"But that doesnt mean that what you demonstrated supported your answer. Yes, you did vocalizations and all before you belted high notes, but there is something missing with the delivery." Those comments made Younghyun's smile disppeared.
"W-WHAAAAT?!"
"I honestly applaud your songwriting skills and wide vocal range, but that doesnt support enough to your answer."
"BUT SIIRRR---"
"No more buts, Mr. Kang. I'm giving you C grade for that, and if you dont stop complaining, maybe I'll give you an F instead."
"Whatever." Younghyun whispered to himself, rolling his eyes in a subtle way while sitting down on his chair, which unfortunately, Professor Kim saw that, but didnt mind it.


[October 23rd, 5pm]


The sun was going down, and it reached the horizon, but the recitation was still on going for 2 hours. Unfortunatelty, almost none of the students, including students who excelled the most in that subject like Seungwan, Kim Wonpil and Kang Dongho, passed the recitation, until there are only 10 left to be called.

"I'm so disappointed. I've been expecting some of you to pass because I know you have studied well, but no one can give me a concrete answer and demonstration?" Professor Kim shook his head, and students were in complete silence, "but anyways, you have to do well. The next one is Hwang Minhyun."

Being a reserved person, Minhyun freaked out when his name was being called, especially during school hours. He didnt like interacting with some people except for some of his trusted one like his friends Jonghyun and Seongwoo.

"So Mr. Hwang, what is your stand about belting high notes as basis of being a great singer?"