Chapter 3

Standing In The Middle Of Parallel Lines

 "So Mr. Hwang, what is your stand about belting high notes as basis of being a great singer?"

Minhyun got startled at the professor's question because he knows both ways have points, but didnt know how to put into words verbally.

"Uhhhh....professor..."
"Yes, Minhyun?"
"Uhh.... to be very honest, even though I prefer singing my heart out without belting high notes, it depends on how you deliver the song no matter the genre is. There are many ways on how you sing it. If you want to do high notes, then do it. If you dont want to, it's fine. The important thing is, you sing with emotions. That's what makes you a good singer, especially when singing ballads since youre investing your emotions on that kind of genre."
"Okay, so can you support your answer to us?"
"Yes, professor."

As Minhyun was thinking about the song he was going to prepare, on the other side, Younghyun whispered to himself.

"Well, he cant hit high notes anyway." He smirked.

Back to the scene, Minhyun stepped a bit forward to sing a song.

"When you say you’re lonely, I’ll hold you more
When you say you
miss me, I’ll be by your side
Don’t change, stay as you are, stay by my side

You became a roof for me when I was lost
I’ll give you my all
Even though I’m a fool
In these lyrics I’m writing for you
I hope you will be my first
Name this song for me

Thank you so much."

The students, including Professor Kim, were in awe of the song because of the lyrics and how he sang the song. As expected, that didnt impress Younghyun, and rolled his eyes.

"Well done, Minhyun. Well done."
"Thank you, professor."
"Although I do admit that way you project your voice is kinda a bit weak, but you sing your heart out, and also, you supported your answer with ample demonstration."
"Thank you so much, Professor."
"Bull. What a bias." Younghyun, on the other hand, continued whispering to himself.
"All right, class. Those 9 people whom I havent been called would remain here in the classroom. The rest, you may go now."
"Thank you, professor." 90% of the class who were already done with the graded recitation said in unison before they left.

Half an hour after the class, Younghyun was walking out of the campus with Seungwan and his close blockmate Wonpil, and as expected, he couldnt stop ranting about Minhyun.

"Seriously. What's honestly so great about Minhyun? He's not that even special and talented. He couldnt even hit high notes. I honestly dont understand why. Almost all teachers in this college even admire him. But for the record, he only has a face to back it up."
"You know what, Younghyun? You need to chill. You drank too much Iced Americano." Seungwan patted his shoulder.
"You honestly need to be careful, bro." Wonpil gave Younghyun a subtle warning about his coffee intake, "but on the other hand, I somewhat feel the same way. I honestly dont get the hype about Minhyun, especially nowadays. Is it because he just won?"
"Y'all guys shouldnt mind that guy. Youre giving yourselves stress." Seungwan joked.
"Naaaah, it's only Younghyun. Not me." Wonpil raised his hands lightly as if he was being surrendered by the police.
"It's because I just dont like that guy."
"Well, we've been knew," the two said in unison, "obviously." Wonpil concluded.
"That's why I'm glad you guys always have my back, especially when it comes to that guy."
"In speaking of that guy, I've heard got a songwriting contract with JYPE for two years as part of the prize, isn't it?" Wonpil was curious.
"Well, I could care less about that though."
"If you say so..." It was Seungwan's last conversation before she parted ways with the two to go home on the other side.


[October 24th, 3pm]


The campus seemed to be peaceful since there were no classes in all college departments except Music, Medicine and Law due to the educator's camp outside Seoul in which almost all faculty staff members were required to attend, and the staff members from the 3 college departments mentioned still had some unfinished classes to do with the students.

Back to the present time, Minhyun, Jonghyun and Seongwoo were walking outside the campus since the two agreed to meet up with Minhyun, who had finished his classes half an hour ago, and accompany him for an important appointment.

"Yaaaa! Minhyun-ah! Where the are we going, and you needed to tag us along?" Jonghyun raised his tone jokingly.
"Also my ice cream, Minhyun. You owe me one since I didnt get one when you guys bought yesterday." Seongwoo pouted.

Seongwoo was known in the College of Communication Arts deparment as the man of duality: he had the chaebol and actor-type visual, yet he's the class clown. It was during a university event for freshman students when Seongwoo first met the two bestfriends, and it was the time when Seongwoo came late, and luckily two bestfriends were in the back, and there was an empty seat beside Minhyun, and the rest was history. They suddenly got along with each other as days, months and years passed by, especially it was their last year as students.

"Alright, alright. That's why didnt want to tell you guys where. Y'all keep on complaining." Minhyun fired back at the two with a grin on his face.
"ing brat... Aissshhhh!!!" Seongwoo playfully kicked Minhyun's right foot.
"Alright alright. I'll tell you guys. We're going to JYP Entertainment."
"Wait what? Like right now?" Jonghyun and Seongwoo said in unison.
"Yeah. Do you think I'm joking right now?"
"It's not like that, bro," Jonghyun was a bit surprised, "I mean-- do you want us to accompany you there?"
"Yes. I promise I'll be buying 3 gallons of ice cream for us."
"YAAAAAAAAAAY. Much better than yesterday." Seongwoo jumped like an excited kiddo, "but wait. S-so...do you want to start the songwriting session today?"
"Yeah. I'm honestly excited, but I'm kinda nervous right now."
"Well, one thing for sure. That's normal," Seongwoo blurted out, but Minhyun worked a bit faster by hitting his head lightly and jokingly, "YAAAAAAAH! IT HURTS!"
"That's what you get for making him laugh." Jonghyun couldnt help but also laugh at Seongwoo's reaction.

They took the bus to the station near JYPE building, which is 2.3km away from the campus bus stop, and it took like 20 minutes to get there. As they were riding their way through the bus, the three continued chitchatting about the educator's camp and what Jonghyun and Seongwoo were doing since the two didnt have classes.

Few minutes after, and they finally reached JYPE building (the new one). As they entered the premises, they were surprised at how the interior of the building looked like. They didnt think that everything around them was like shining diamonds. They were going to the desk staff to ask about the songwriting session.

"Good afternoon, sir. How can I help you?" The front desk smiled at them.
"Hello, miss. I just want to inquire about the songwriting session here in JYP."
"Uhhh... I dont know what youre talking bout, sir."
"I-I just got the songwriting deal for 2 years from a competition."
"Wait... so are you the winner of Dongguk Songwriting Festival? Hwang Minhyun?"
"Yes, I am, miss."
"Woooww. So do you want to start your session now?"

Instead, he just answer with a nod.

"Alright. Just follow me, Mr. Hwang."
"Okay, miss," he then turned to the two, "guys, I'll be right back. You can roam around the building, and I'll text you guys when I'm done."
"No worries. Good luck, bro." Jonghyun gave him a fist bump.
"Enjoy the prize, Hwang!" It was also Seongwoo's turn to give him a fist bump before they part ways.
"YAAAA! JUST GO HOME Y'ALL HAHAHAHA"

Minhyun started to follow the info desk lady for to the 7th floor through an elevator, and as theyve reached the said floor, she was leading him to an empty recording studio in which they entered.

"Just wait here, Mr. Hwang. I'll inform them."
"Thank you, miss."

He was waiting in that recording studio for like 15 minutes, and while waiting, he was writing some lyrics on his notebook until he heard the door made a sound.

"Oh, hello sir." He quickly stood up and bowed to a person who opened the door.
"Hey there, but by the way, are you Hwang Minhyun?"
"Yes, I am."
"Okay, okay. Minhyun. I need to tell you something. The contract deal is now nullified."