Chapter 1

Standing In The Middle Of Parallel Lines

 Dongguk University was one of the most prominent universities in Korea that produced numerous notable alumni in any field. Politicians, news broadcasters, businessmen, musicians, idols, name it all. It was also home to the famous elephant statue as a symbol of the university's integrity as Buddhist-affliated. It was also known for handling the annual song composition contest that even non-Dongguk students can join, which was named 'Dongguk Songwriting Festival'. Every 12 participants had to submit their original composition in any theme, and they also need someone to sing their compositions or on their own in front of many people.

October 22nd was and always be the date for the contest, but this time, there would be like 15 official contestants. 6 of them are from Dongguk, and 9 from other universities. And since it was a festival, it would be held at the university open grounds, and more people would come.

 


[October 22nd, 6pm]

 



The Dongguk Songwriting Festival programme has already started with an opening number from the school band, then the contest proper has commenced afterwards with the introduction of all 15 contestants.

There are many fans of the 15 contestants, especially Dongguk students, who came to support their faves, but the majority of the audience aee supporting the two contestants separately, and they contestants #4 and #9. They are notably one of the university's famous students in the Music department since they both contributed for the glory and integrity of the College of Music. Contestant #4 used to compete in a songwriting contest overseas few years ago, while Contestant #9 once competed in a national songwriting festival held by Mnet last year. Both of them are already in their last years in Dongguk since they would be graduating on December before the winter break.

Few minutes later, Contestant #4 got on the stage and started performing his upbeat rock composition 'Our Page' with hyping the audience first with screams in the intro before he sings, which made it successful. The audience are already headbanging with the song since it's like a fusion of 2000s rock and 2000s pop. He was playing an electronic guitar with a live band supportinh his performance. On the other hand, it is Contestant #9's turn an hour and a half later. He performed his dance ballad composition 'The Language of Stars', which was a groovy tune that almost everyone in the crowd danced along with him freely. They were also in awe of how he danced gracefully although he was singing live at the same time and the choreography was a bit hard.

During the performance of contestant #9, the other contestants were in the backstage, taking rest before few of them would be going on stage to perform, and they were also being accompanied by their blockmates.

"I didnt know that he's that good in dancing." The girl beside Contestant #4 felt a bit of goosebumps.
'"Pssstt. I can even do that way better than him." Contestant #4 replied.
"You sure bout that, Susan?" Contestant #6 joked.
"YAAAAH!! How bout this?" Then, Contestant #4 showed them his popping and locking skills.
"WHOOOOAAAAAAAAAA DUUUDEEEEE," Contestant #2 was in shocked of the said contestant's dancing skills, "THAT IS SO ING INSANE."
"Thank you! I didnt think about dancing on stage because I used to play in a band when I was in high school."
"Well, you should also be trained in dancing as well if you want to be casted in some entertainment companies soon." The girl beside Contestant #4 suggested.
"Naaah. I prefer playing the instruments tho."
"If you say so."

Contestant #4's dance skills was no joke as he was being trained by his dance teacher when he was in his earlier years of high school until he switched his passion to play instruments, to write songs, and to play in a band during his last year. He might not be dancing for so long, but his skills were still intact. Being talented in playing instruments, songwriting and dancing alone together with his hot and y looks charisma made him one of the most popular Music students in the university, and that Contestant #4 was none other than Kang Younghyun, senior Music student in Dongguk.

"But Younghyun-ah, how does it feel to be on that stage?" The girl beside him aka Son Seungwan, his classmate and friend, asked.
"Well, it feels great. I honestly want to share my music to everyone."
"Glad to hear that. At leadt you're happy now."
"Yeah, I really am."

Few minutes, and the performance of Contestant #9 was already done, and he was about to go backstage when some of the contestants also cheered him up like the way they cheered Younghyun after his performance.

"Hey, your performance is really dope, and the song is so ing good!" Contestant #6 cheered him first.
"I second the motion." Contestant #7 added.
"Thank you, guys. I really appreciate a lot." Contestant #9 relied back to their cheers.
"And by the way, you're also good at dancing! Maybe you should form a duo with Contestant #4." Contestant #2 indirectly pointed to Younghyun using his mouth.
"He's really good at dancing."
"Really?!"
"Yep. But by the way, can I just excuse myself for a while? I need to find someone."
"Yeah sure. Just be right back."

As the contestant #9 left backstage to find someone, the other contestants were in awe of him not just because of his talents, but also his ethereal prince-like charisma. Singing was and still his number one passion, but he learned to write songs through his piano at the young age, and was being trained to dance by his friend for more than 5 years. His honey-like voice was also considered his main asset, and also one of the factors that made him one of the famous Music students in the university. Hence, the Contestant #9 was Hwang Minhyun, senior Music student in Dongguk.

As Minhyun were already out of the backstage tent, he picked up his phone from his pocket to call someone.

"Where are you now?" Minhyun asked.
"I'm sorry, but I couldnt come there right now. I have to do my major papers."
"Alright, I understand. Anyways, good luck!"
"Thank you. I have to hang up now. My groupmate is alreadh waiting for me."
"Okay okay. I'll talk to you before the class. Bye."

He somewhat felt a bit disappointed and sad that the said person wouldnt be with him since some contestants were having their loved ones with them, and went back to the backstage tent.

 


[October 22, 10pm]

 


Few hours passed, and all the contestants were going back on stage for the results and awardings, and everyone in the crowd felt nervous since one of them would be the champion, and the champion would have a benefit of getting a 2-year songwriting contract deal from JYP Entertainment, and would also have a chance to have one-on-one songwriting sessions with some of the most prominent singer-songwriters under the said entertainment. There was also a bonus prize of 1.5 million won for the champion, 1 million for the first runner-up, and 500 thousand won for the second runner-up. The crowd also felt so nervous because all of them were so good in their own ways.

"Alright, folks. So I already have the results, and we only have 3 contestants that I would mention," The MC told the audience, "So here it goes. The 2nd runner-up... this contestant is from this school. We have 6 contestants from Dongguk, right?"
"YES!" The audience shouted.
"Okay, so the song that he sang was all written by him as a comfort not just from himself and the bad, but also for people around him. This contestant from Dongguk who would be the 2nd runner-up is...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
CONTESTANT #4. KANG YOUNGHYUN."

As his name was being mentioned, he couldnt believe that he finally got a reward for his hardwork after years of competing in numerous songwriting festivals abroad or in Korea. He went forward to receive the trophy and the prize board, and the audience were also cheering for him, especially the small group of fans on the left side of the back, and also to give a short speech.

"Thank you so much to my family, friends, and everyone that I love for believing me and my abilitie to make music for everyome of you, and dont forget that this is the greatest time of our lives, and this reward is for you all. Thank you."

"I'm now going to announce the first runner-up. Okay, so basically, this contestant... this contestant is not from Dongguk. ANNNNND, the person is from Howon University. This person might not be a Music student, but she blew us with this kind of song that she wrote. She wrote that song for someone she used to like, and it's kinda relatable because it speaks to the heart, like you shouldnt have said things that you dont mean it. ANNNNNNNNND, maybe your guess is right, because...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
the first runner-up is CONTESTANT #1, BAEK AYEON."

The girl was honestly shocked while moving forward to receive the trophy and the prize because she didnt expect that her song touched many people with its relatable lyrics. She was then going to say something for her award.

"Hello. I'm Baek Ayeon, and I'm really happy that I got 1st runner-up in one of the most prominent songriting festivals in Korea, but the very important thing for me is... the fact that almost all of you can sing my songs in the future, and I'm really looking forward to writing more songs like this in the future. Thank you much!"

"AND LASTLY, here is what we've been waiting for. We're going to announce... the champion of this year's Dongguk Songwriting Festival... right now. This time, this is the first time in 5 years that the champion would come from our school, from Dongguk."

And the very loud cheers were echoing more around the venue as they're looking forward to announce the champion among the remaining 5 Dongguk student contestants.

"This contestant wrote this song as a sign of longingness to its other half through talking to the stars. The song became a more elegant and sophisticated masterpiece with its honey-like voice and graceful dance interpretation as the additions."

Here comes the loud cheers once again, but this time, it's because they already know who it was.

"I think you heard it right because IT'S RIGHT.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
THE 2019 DONGGUK SONGWRITING FESTIVAL GRAND CHAMPION IS NONE OTHER THAN CONTESTANT NO.9, HWANG. MIN. HYUN."

The whole crowd, even the contestants, staff and judges, were screaming and cheering so loud since Minhyun brought the university back to glory after the 5-year missing streaks in the festival. He went forward to receive the trophy, prize and the contract deal. At first, he couldn't believe it because he thought all of them were better than him.

"Hello, everyone. My name is Hwang Minhyun, and I'm a Music student here in Dongguk University. I've been joining this festival two times, and I know that every contestant worked so hard to be in this stage. I do appreciate the songs that they wrote. I also appreciate their sacrifice, their blood, sweat and tears, their hard work behind in making such amazing songs. I wouldnt have been inspired in writing songs if it wasnt for them. My fellow contestants, my family, friends, and everyone supported me and us, this victory is for all of us, and for Dongguk as well. Thank you."

 


[October 23, 10am]

 


The day after the competition, everything seems to be back to normal. It was a sunny morning, and more students came to class, and some were even having a break time in some food stalls around the campus.

At the cafeteria full of people near College of Music building, Minhyun was eating alone in the table when someone scared him with the gestures.

"Yoohoo!" A hand suddenly made Minhyun's sight went dark.
"YAAAAAH JONGHYUN STOP PRANKING ME." Minhyun slapped his best friend's arm.
"Sorry, bro," Jonghyun suddenly sat beside Minhyun, "I heard that you won the contest. Congraaats."
"Thank you, bro. Wish that you were there last night."
"I was really busy rushing my major papers because today was the deadline. Fortunately, I submitted those on time."
"Congrats to you bro!" Minhyun patted Jonghyun's shoulder twice.
"Thanks bro. What I'm worrying about is my derpartmental exams. It's on next month, but I havent review anything."
"Chill, bro. Next month is just 30 days away, and we have more time to chill, but you know what, we need to buy ice cream and call Seongwoo cos these need to be celebrated." Minhyun stood up.
"Maybe, youre right." Jonghyun did the same next.

They were walking outside the cafeteria to buy some ice cream in a convenience store near the cafeteria. They were in a few steps away from the said place when someone showed up in front of them, blocking their ways.

"Ah, here comes the untalented fake champion."