Chapter 3

Be My Girlfriend?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dress up, Mina had said. Except Nayeon doesn't have any dresses in her closet. Hadn't considered this specific scenario when packing her wardrobe for college. So instead she takes out the nicest pieces that she does have, trying to piece together clothes that she'd intended more for a job interview into something appropriate for a date. Settles on a blue skirt that hugs her curves and a white blouse that she ties at the waist rather than buttoning it over her undershirt. It's a look that might as well have come out of a 'Take Your Daytime Look To Night' but she does the best with what she's got.

That settled, she grabs the makeup mirror that she usually keeps in the closet, putting it on her desk instead. A little bit of blush, some gloss for her lips, these things go on easy enough. But Nayeon hesitates before picking up her mascara. It isn't like this is a real date, after all. Except she still has the urge to look nice for Mina’s experiment. Can't help the butterflies in her stomach at the idea of actually going on a dinner date, just like in the movies. In the end, she gives in and finishes up her look with a nice cats eye and a nice neutral shadow for her eyes. Just enough to brighten her face.

There's still an hour until Mina said that she'd be over, and Nayeon hums as she plugs in her curling iron. Uses it to transform a few strategic pieces of her hair, trying to remember the way that her mom used to do it for her when she was younger. Makes a mental note to text her youngest sister a little later, asking how the volleyball season is going. It's one of the worst parts about going to college, being so far away from her family, though she knows it'll be worth it in the end. It just means they have to be creative and put a bit more effort into keeping in touch.

A knock at the door breaks her concentration, and hastily Nayeon unplugs the curling iron before grabbing her purse. It's a little early for Mina, but then again, maybe her friend is just as excited as she is for this.

It takes far more effort than it should to keep her face from falling when she realizes that it's Jimin. "Uhm, Hi? What are you doing here?"

"I was in the dorm visiting a friend and thought I recognized the last name," Jimin says awkwardly. "You're looking very nice tonight. Do you mind if I come in?"

Yes. Nayeon glances down the hallway, hoping against hope that Mina would suddenly appear and save her. "I'm sorry, I have plans. I thought you were my ride, actually."

Part of her wants to say Date. Because she is. She's going on a date, even if it is a fake-date for a fake-relationship where she's supposed to be trying to figure out if she wants to real-date him. But she doesn't because that would be rude. Instead, she leans against the dorm frame as he awkwardly shifts from foot to foot, almost visibly regrouping. Which might not be a good thing either because the last thing that Nayeon needs is for him to decide to go ahead and just blurt it out.

"I didn't see you in class earlier," she says instead, hoping to keep him occupied until her phone buzzes or Mina comes out of the elevator. "Were you not feeling well?"

"Missed me, huh?" Jimin seems to take her having noticed his lack of chattering as reassurance, grinning from ear to ear. "Don't worry. We had a field trip this morning for one of my other classes. It wasn't mandatory, but he's dropping our lowest test grade for having gone to the play. Figured it was worth the absence in my other classes."

Maybe. They're only allowed to miss three, though she's seen Jimin show up looking like the walking dead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter