Five

Something About Us

The next day, Rowoon wakes up first to make Seo Yoon breakfast again. He makes a lot of sausages and scrambled eggs for Seo Yoon. When she wakes up, he serves her breakfast.

“Mmm,” she hums happily. “Thank you! This reminds me of home. My mom would always make me this when I woke up in the morning.”

He smiles. “Eat a lot,” he says.

She nods her head.

“What’s your favorite breakfast food,” Seo Yoon asks.

“I like black bean noodles,” he says. “I don’t eat the spicy one for breakfast though.”

“More black bean noodles?”

“I love black bean noodles. I can eat black bean noodles for days without a problem.”

Seo Yoon chuckles. “Good to know.”

He eats a little breakfast before he heads to work.

Rowoon comes out from a meeting. Secretary Kim is following him.

“What’s next on my schedule,” Rowoon asks.

“You have another meeting at 3, boss,” secretary Kim replies.

“Great. I have time.”

“Are you going somewhere?”

“I’m going to buy my wife some books and movies to entertain her.”

“I’ll drive.”

At the store, Rowoon picks out some books and some movies before he goes check out.

“Let’s send these to her,” Rowoon says.

“Yes, boss,” secretary Kim says.

Secretary Kim drives Rowoon home.

“I’ll wait for you here,” secretary Kim says.

“You don’t want to go inside,” Rowoon asks.

“May I?”

“Of course. Let’s go.”

The two of them head inside Rowoon’s house. Rowoon walks inside, and secretary Kim follows behind him. Rowoon sees Seo Yoon eating a bag of chips at the island table. 

"Seo Yoon," Rowoon calls.

She turns her head. "Hey," she greets. "Why are you home so early today?"

She climbs off the seat.

"I have something to give you," Rowoon says.

He walks over to her.

"These are books and movies," he says.

Seo Yoon smiles. "Thank you."

She looks inside the bag.

"Are you going back to work," she asks.

"Yes," he replies. "I have one more meeting at 3."

She looks up at him.

"Should I make dinner again," she asks.

"No," he replies. "I want you to rest today. I'll eat whatever we have in the fridge."

Seo Yoon nods her head. That's when she sees secretary Kim behind Rowoon.

"Who's behind you," Seo Yoon asks.

"This is my secretary, Kim Junho," Rowoon answers.

"Ahh. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," secretary Kim greets. "You two look very happy together."

"Thank you," Seo Yoon says with a shy smile.

"We should get going," Rowoon says. "I'll be back at six."

Seo Yoon nods her head.

"It was nice meeting you," secretary Kim says.

"It was nice meeting you too," Seo Yoon replies.

Rowoon and secretary Kim leave the house. 

Seo Yoon sits on the couch and starts looking through the books and movies.

"Secretary Kim," Rowoon starts.

They are on the highway.

"Starting tomorrow," Rowoon continues. "I won't be coming to the office as often as I do now."

"Why not," secretary Kim asks.

"My wife says she's lonely at home, so I'm going to spend time with her. With the meetings, I'll do it through my computer, and the paper works, email them to me, and I'll confirm them with you."

"Got it, boss."

When Rowoon returns home that night, he walks into the bedroom to see Seo Yoon asleep on the bed with a book in her hands. He goes remove the book and fixes the blanket on her before he himself goes to bed.

The next day, Seo Yoon wakes up early to make breakfast for Rowoon. When he wakes up, she serves him like how he serves her.

"Since you're always making me breakfast, I thought I should make you it this time," Seo Yoon says.

"Thank you," he says. "However, I think it would be best for you to rest. I'll make breakfast."

"You're always asking me to rest,” Seo Yoon says. “I want to walk around and work too. Always resting is boring.”

“Really? Then, we can walk around together.”

“But that’s when you don’t have to work. What am I supposed to do when you’re at work?”

“You don’t have to worry about that anymore. I won’t be going to work anymore.”

“You quit your job?”

“No. I’m working from home now, so I can take care of you. Just know that when I’m speaking to my computer, I’m having a meeting.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

“So I don’t have to report to work today,” he continues. “What do you want to do today?”

Seo Yoon thinks. “Let’s go out today,” Seo Yoon says.

“To where?”

“Anywhere. I just want some fresh air.”

Rowoon nods his head.

Rowoon cleans up the dishes and takes Seo Yoon out.

The two of them walk along the path in the park. Many families and couples are also there.

Seo Yoon takes a deep breath. "This is so nice," she sighs. "It's been so long since I've gotten to go somewhere like this." 

Rowoon watches her. He feels happy that she's happy.

Seo Yoon starts skipping down the path.

"Woah," Rowoon says.

He grabs her hand and stops her.

"Be careful," he continues. "The baby."

"Sorry," she says. "I forgot you're protective of the baby."

They walk side by side.

Seo Yoon starts observing the families.

"When our baby is that big," Seo Yoon says. "I also want to bring her here to enjoy the weather."

"Of course," Rowoon agrees. "I also want to bring her here. I'm going to take you two to so many places.”

“Where exactly?”

“Anywhere you two want to go.”

“Anywhere?”

He nods his head. “We can even go overseas.”

“Isn’t that too much?”

“Going overseas? No. I would definitely love to go overseas with my family.”

“I just feel that going overseas will be very costly.”

“It’s okay. I’m willing to pay for the family.”

“I’ll feel bad.”

“Don’t be.”

Seo Yoon suddenly feels different towards Rowoon. She’s never had anyone pay for trips overseas before. 

“Are you hungry,” he asks. “Should we go for lunch?”

“Okay,” she replies.

Rowoon takes them to a restaurant near their house. The two of them sit by the window. Rowoon orders Seo Yoon a lot of food.

“I don’t think I can finish this,” Seo Yoon says.

“It’s okay. Eat as much as you want,” Rowoon replies.

Seo Yoon takes a bite and hums. “So good,” she says.

Rowoon smiles.

"The other day,” Rowoon says. “My parents called me. “I told them about you, and they really want to meet you.”

Seo Yoon nods her head. “We can go anytime. It doesn’t matter.”

“Tomorrow?”

Seo Yoon nods her head. “That’s fine.”

After that, the two of them head home. Rowoon helps her up the stairs.

“You two are so sweet,” a passing neighbor says.

The two of them turn around and see two older ladies. 

“Is she pregnant,” the other lady asks.

“Yes,” Rowoon replies.

They awe. 

“I remember when my husband would help me like that when I was pregnant,” the first lady says. “Is this your first child?”

“Yes,” Rowoon replies.

“Be good to her,” the second lady says. “Later on, her hormones will hike up, and she’ll be very emotional. Giving birth is also painful.”

“But be good to him too,” the first lady says. “He’s going to have to put up with you.”

“I will be,” Seo Yoon replies.

Rowoon and Seo Yoon continue to walk up the stairs. Once they enter the house, he doesn’t hold onto her anymore. 

Seo Yoon heads straight to the cabinets and grabs some snacks. Seo Yoon walks to the fridge and looks around.

“I know that we just came back,” Seo Yoon says. “But I really want some milk.”

“We don’t have any,” Rowoon asks.

“No.”

“I’ll go buy you some.”

Rowoon grabs his wallet and goes out to buy milk.

When he returns, Rowoon pours a glass of milk for Seo Yoon. 

She smiles and accepts the glass.

“Thank you,” she says. “For going out again to buy me milk.”

“No problem. If you want anything else, just tell me, and I’ll go buy you whatever you want.”

Seo Yoon continues to eat her snacks and drink the milk. After she is done, she puts the snacks away and washes her glass. Then, she joins Rowoon on the couch again.

“Have you started any of the movies that I bought you,” Rowoon asks.

“No,” Seo Yoon replies. “I started on the books instead.”

“Which one did you start on?”

“The romance one. I really like it so far.”

“What do you like about it?”

Seo Yoon goes on to tell him her favorite parts. 

He listens to her intently. 

Seo Yoon continues on for ten more minutes.

“That book sounds really good,” Rowoon says. “Let’s read it together.”

“Do you want to,” Seo Yoon asks.

“Of course. How about tonight? As a bedtime story.”

“Okay.”

“What do you want to do now?”

Seo Yoon thinks.

“How about we watch a movie,” Rowoon suggests.

“Sure,” Seo Yoon agrees. 

“Which genre do you want?”

Rowoon stands up and walks over to the cabinets that hold the movies he bought for Seo Yoon. 

“Let’s go with the mystery one,” Seo Yoon suggests.

He takes out the mystery one. Before he puts the movie in, there is a knock on the door, so he goes answer it.

“Seyeon,” Rowoon says surprise. “What are you doing here?”

“Rowoon,” Seyeon cries. She hugs him.

Rowoon is surprised. He doesn’t hug her back.

“I can’t do it,” she cries. “I can’t break up with you. I miss you.”

“Seyeon,” Rowoon says. “First, let me go.”

She doesn’t, so he untangles her off of him.

“I’m sorry,” Rowoon says. “I can’t take you back.”

Seeing Seyeon cry brings back his heart break.

“I’ll do anything,” Seyeon cries. “Anything.”

Rowoon shakes his head.

Seyeon looks over at the couch and sees Seo Yoon staring at them. 

“It’s because of her,” Seyeon says. She is eyeing Seo Yoon. Seyeon starts walking to Seo Yoon. “Because of you, my relationship is ruined.”

Rowoon holds Seyeon back.

“It’s not her fault,” Rowoon says.

Seyeon looks at Rowoon surprised.

"You've changed so much," Seyeon cries. "When did you change?"

"Becoming a father has changed me," Rowoon replies. "Please don't cause trouble to my family."

Seyeon closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She pushes Rowoon away from him and marches over to Seo Yoon. Seyeon pushes Seo Yoon on the shoulder.

"It's your fault," Seyoon cries. "It's because of you!"

Seyeon pushes Seo Yoon again.

"I'm sorry," Seo Yoon apologizes. "I'm sorry."

Rowoon rushes over to Seyeon and holds her back.

"But I don't love him," Seo Yoon says. 

"Will you leave him after you give birth to his child," Seyeon asks. 

Rowoon can't help but feel upset hearing what Seo Yoon just said. Now, he's anticipating on Seo Yoon's answer.

"If that is what you want," Seo Yoon says. "But I can't leave the child. The child is mine."

"But the child is also mine," Rowoon says.

Seyeon sighs and weeps. "Fine," she says. She takes a step, but faints.

Rowoon catches her.

"Seyeon," Rowoon calls. "Are you okay?"

Seo Yoon is shocked.

Rowoon rushes Seyeon to the hospital and leaves Seo Yoon behind. When Rowoon returns, it is already night time. 

Seo Yoon is sitting on the island waiting for Rowoon to return.

"You're not asleep yet," Rowoon asks.

"I was waiting for you," Seo Yoon replies. "How is she? Is she okay?"

"Seyeon hasn't been eating and sleeping which caused her to faint."

"That's not good."

"Did you eat dinner yet?"

Seo Yoon shakes her head.

"I'll set the table," Rowoon says.

The two of them have dinner. Seo Yoon is picking at her food.

"Why aren't you eating," Rowoon asks.

"I don't have much of an appetite tonight," she replies. 

"You should still eat for the baby. I don't want you fainting either."

Seo Yoon forces a spoonful of food in .

"I've been thinking," Seo Yoon says after she swallows the food. "Seyeon seems to love you very much, and you love her. I'm being the third wheel that is coming in between you two. I'll give you two back your freedom and take the baby with me. You don't have to worry about the baby."

"What are you talking about," Rowoon asks. "I'm not letting you go anywhere. That baby and you are staying here with me. No matter what happens, I'm going to be responsible for the two of you."

"I just feel like I intruded into your lives. Seyeon isn't feeling well because of me. I'm sure you feel awful too. I want to visit her, but I'm afraid she'll feel worse when she sees me."

“If you want to visit her, I’ll take you to visit her, but don’t even think about leaving with our baby. I will never allow that.”

He moves the food closer to her.

“Eat up,” he says.

Seo Yoon can’t believe what she just heard. It feels like he cares so much about her, but is he really? Is he only acting this way because of the baby?

Rowoon cleans up the kitchen while Seo Yoon is getting ready for bed. After Rowoon is done, he walks into the bedroom and sees Seo Yoon already in bed. 

“Will you be going to sleep already,” Rowoon asks.

Seo Yoon nods her head. 

“Should we still read that book together,” Rowoon asks. “I’ll read to you.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

“Okay,” Rowoon says. “Wait for me. I’m going to go brush my teeth.”

Seo Yoon nods her head.

 

Seo Yoon is lying in bed facing Rowoon. The blanket is lying on top of her.

Rowoon is sitting in bed. His back is against the back wall, and he is reading to her.

An hour passes by. Rowoon stops reading and looks down at Seo Yoon. She is already asleep. Rowoon closes the book and keeps looking at her. He fixes her hair. 

A warm feeling overwhelms him all of a sudden. 

Seo Yoon starts wrinkling her nose.

Rowoon smiles and slightly taps her nose. 

She stops.

Rowoon climbs out of bed and lies on the ground to go to sleep.