Who do you love?

Four Against The World

GD sits in his car, his window rolled down as he takes a drag of his cigarette. He watches the front gate of a small cottage like house, guarded by a gate. Through the tinted windows of the house, he sees that the lights are on.

I guess she’s home… 

He drums his fingers against the dashboard, contemplating if he should walk up and ring the bell. 

 

Jiyong sighs and throws his head back. He decided he’s content just knowing she’s home. Everytime he tries to reach for the door handle, he freezes. He doesn’t know what’s wrong with him but he suspects its a deep-seated guilty conscience from the way they left things. All he knows is that he never really saw her again after that day and soon after he was enlisted in the army. 

 

5 more minutes 

He says to himself as he closes his eyes, lost in his thoughts once again.

[voice]

YAH ert!

 

He is jolted awake by a familiar accusational voice. He turns to see a casually dressed Chaerin. He looks at her, stumped. 

Ahh..er….

 

Chaerin laughs and points at the cctv pointing right at Jiyong’s car. 

I’ve been watching you for the past hour… are you having some sort of mid-life crisis

 

Jiyong scratches his head in embarrassment, scanning his brain for any possible excuse.

I thought of visiting you but...my leg cramped so I couldn’t move for awhile and… I guess I fell asleep (nervous laughter)

 

Chaerin bursts out laughing, harder this time. She laughs for a good 5 minutes, so much so that she tears profusely. 

Jiyong who’s been the sole audience of her fits of laughter looks on, annoyed now.

Are you done? 

 

Chaerin calms down and collects herself

Ooooof that was a good one… (she pats her chest and dabs her tears) ok I’m done. It’s good to see you Mr GD let’s head to the supermarket I need some Ramyun. 

 

Chaerin lifts up her hoodie, plants her shades on her face and invites herself into Jiyong’s car. 

 

She hasn’t changed one bit (Jiyong thinks to himself as a slight smile creeps up on him)

 

--

 

Jiyong and Chaerin are making their way to the supermarket.

 

Chaerin plugs in her phone to the sound system.

Jiyong

Yah, can’t you just listen to my songs?

 

Chaerin

You need to listen to the new this new Hongdae band, you’ve been living under a rock for too long

 

Chaerin busies herself with the song selection.

Jiyong

A rock? You mean military service which I’m practically forced to go through… 

Chaerin

Oh yea (reaches out to his now-bald head) you little baldie

Jiyong flinches feigning annoyance when he secretly enjoys that Chaerin isn’t being cold towards him.

Chaerin

How was it like in there?

Jiyong

You would know if you bothered to visit or even write…. You know how many fans wrote me?

Chaerin

I’ve been busy

 

Jiyong focuses on the road, distracting himself from how her words of dismissal are pricking him like little needles.

 

Chaerin selects a Cardi B track and starts rapping along to it

 

I like dollars, I like diamonds, I like stuntin, I like shinin

I like million dollar deals

Where’s my pen? I’m signin’

I like those Balenciagas ~

 

Chaerin lifts up her balenciaga shoes and laughs. Jiyong bursts out laughing too.

Jiyong

You’re sucha crazy

Chaerin

I know hahaha

 

They both sing the chorus together

I SAID I LIKE IT LIKE THAT

I SAID I LIKE IT LIKE THAT (SKRRRT)

I SAID I LIKE IT LIKE THAT (WOOO)

I SAID -

 

YAH JIYONG AH WATCH THE ROAD! (Chaerin yells in panic)

 

Jiyong almost runs a red light. He slows down. 

. Whoops my bad.

Chaerin

Almost gave me a heart attack there

Jiyong

Can’t compare to the amount of heart attacks I’ve been getting

 

Jiyong laughs it off but the mood suddenly becomes heavier. He’s reminded of the reality of Big Bang.

 

Chaerin is about to reply when she realizes that Jiyong’s referring to the news on Seungri.

He did a ed up thing… 

Jiyong

Yea… I don’t need another reminder

Chaerin

I’m not reminding you, my point is, I know it hurts you a lot to know that he did what he did.

 

They both stay silent for awhile. 

.

.

.

(Clearing his throat) … Thank you.

 

--

 

As they head into the supermarket, Chaerin immediately hops into the shopping cart. It’s past midnight and there’s barely any customers there.  Upon seeing this Jiyong laughs to himself and facepalms.

 

Chaerin

Mr G Dragon stop judging me and do your job

Jiyong immediately hides his face at the mention of “G Dragon”

Do you want to die? People may notice us

Chaerin

There’s barely anyone here

Jiyong

Why are you in the shopping cart, aren’t we just getting one packet of ramen

Chaerin

I don’t recall saying 1 packet? (giggles)

Jiyong 

Eeeesh what do I do with this woman… 

 

He proceeds to push her from behind, down the aisle. 

 

Chaerin

Yah harabuji, put some gas in this thing!

 

Jiyong smirks and immediately speeds up, pushing the cart at lightning speed. Chaerin starts yelling

KYAHHHHH OMAYAAA!!!! JIYONG OK ENOUGH JIYONG

 

Jiyong continues at full speed ahead

AHHHHHH OK ENOUGH IM SORRY JAEBAL WE’RE GONNA HIT THE MOUNTAIN OF CHOCOLATE TINS YA JI YAGJKSJBd

 

Chaerin covers her face whilst yelling, accepting that she’s going to hit the chocolate tins. Jiyong playfully stops right in front of the tins. Then proceeds to fall on the floor from lapses of laughter. 

 

KWON JI YONG I’M GOING TO KILL YOU! Get me out of this cart now, how many heart attacks are you going to give me in a day! 

 

Jiyong

(in between laughter) Your face…. You should’ve seen it ahahahaha pabo Chaerin ahahahhaa 

 

Their little commotion has aroused the attention of the service staff who are looking on quizzically. Chaerin hides her face in embarrassment. She makes sure her shades are covering her face proper before calling out for help. 

 

Ahjusshi can you please help me hold on the cart? 

 

The service staff Ahjusshi kindly heads over

Ye ye Ms, you shouldn’t get in the cart next time, it’s meant for smaller children…

 

Upon hearing that Jiyong’s laughter escalates

Oh god my stomach I can’t take this ahahahah

 

Chaerin 

Ahjusshi I’m still pretty small ok… 

 

Chaerin embarrassingly tries to save her case while she stands up and tries to balance and get out of the cart.  She misses a step and falls face flat no the ground.

 

“BAM!”

 

The ahjusshi looks on shocked then bends down to help her up. Jiyong stops laughing and runs towards her.

Chaerin ah, are you ok?

 

Chaerin looks at Jiyong helplessly whilst  being lifted up.

AGH it hurts, my ankle… 

 

Jiyong 

Ahjusshi hold on to her for a bit 

 

Jiyong kneels down to check the state of her ankle, he flexes it slightly and Chaerin yells in pain.

Aigoo, how are you so flawless on stage yet so clumsy in reality…

 

Jiyong stands before Chaerin, back facing her.

 

Get on my back (he bends his back slightly and pats it)

 

Chaerin looks around, baffled, her pride refusing to let her get on.

 

Yah, I can walk fine, get up.

 

She tries to walk and almost falls over again. The ahjusshi catches her.

 

Ahjusshi

Ms just get on your boyfriend’s back, you’re hurt

 

Chaerin & Jiyong

Boyfriend?!

Chaerin

He wishes

Jiyong

She wishes

….

Yah stop being so stubborn or I’m just going to leave you here! (Jiyong exclaims in frustration)

 

Chaerin

Yea just leave.

 

Jiyong, unable to stand it anymore carries Chaerin in a cradle like position and walks off. 

 

Chaerin (in shock)

Yah yah yah ok I’ll get on your back… the staff are all staring at me… 

 

Jiyong heaves a sigh of relief

Thank god, my arms were about to fall apart.

 

Chaerin punches his shoulder.

 

-- 

 

Jiyong is walking down the street with Chaerin on his back. They’re headed towards the car park which is a distance away. Jiyong drags his steps, enjoying the closeness between him and Chaerin, he liked knowing that she’s lying on his shoulder, relying on him for once. At the same time, he was ashamed for so selfishly enjoying this moment even though she was in pain and he was part of the reason for it. Her usual noisy self is suddenly absent, all that’s heard is her breathing and Jiyong’s footsteps. 

 

Jiyong

Chaerin ah, I’m sorry.

Chaerin

Ah it’s ok I asked you to go faster it was my fault

Jiyong

No, I’m sorry… 

Chaerin

I said its… (pauses)

 

Chaerin realizes Jiyong was referring to the night he kissed her.

 

Jiyong

You don’t have to say anything, I just… It was wrong of me and- 

Put me down (Chaerin interrupts)

 

Jiyong

What? No.

 

Chaerin

Put me down now (she hits his back from behind)

 

Jiyong (flinching from the hits)

Ahh AHHH ok

 

Jiyong puts her down on one of the benches by the road. 

 

Jiyong

Why, what’s wrong?

 

Chaerin looks at him frustratedly

What’s wrong? WHAT’S WRONG? I’ve been trying to forget that night and act as though none of it happened. I’ve been playing along so well why did you have to bring it up???

 

GD sits beside her and listens to her silently.

 

Chaerin continues.

How could you just kiss me and ask me to leave? You didn’t even bother apologizing after that, you just disappeared. How could you, you really ed this up Jiyong. It’s so hard for me to look at you without getting so ing angry

 

Jiyong watches tears well up in Chaerin’s eyes, he’s never seen her like that before. She covers her eyes and wipes the tears away before they have the chance of escaping. 

Chaerin ah… I know my apology doesn’t matter at this point. I really did up. I didn’t know what I was feeling then, I was confused and stupid. All I know right now is I really ing miss you...so much. And it hasn’t been easy…

 

Jiyong starts tearing too. 

 

Chaerin softens upon watching Jiyong breakdown like that. Her resentment immediately dissipates. She shifts towards him and holds his face up. Tears are streaming down Jiyong’s face. She wipes them with her hands. She then embraces him, he slots his face on her shoulder. At that moment, he finally let himself feel everything he’d been avoiding, all the hurt, the anxiety, the loneliness, the loss, the anger, everything crashes on him and he cries his heart out. Chaerin holds him, his back and his head.

Jiyong ah… I’m here. I’m here… you’re not alone. 

 

-- 

Jiyong and Chaerin are seated on the roadside bench, the night breeze brushes past them. They’re looking at the stars. 

 

Chaerin

Jiyong, I believe everything happens for a reason… do you?

 

Jiyong reaches his hand out to Chaerin’s he grasps it whilst looking at her.

 

Jiyong

Neh.

Chaerin

And there’s a time and place for everything (she clenches his hand tight)

Jiyong

Mmm

Chaerin

This isn’t the right time. It will be someday, but not now. 

Chaerin closes her eyes, then releases her hand from his.

Jiyong processes this for awhile. He’s cried so much, only a single tear escapes his eye this time. He wipes it away. He knows what Chaerin means. Too much is happening right now, he needs to get the Big Bang side of things sorted, he can’t risk a scandal, he can’t risk getting distracted. Chaerin is busy with her next album release too in America. Both of them being artists, they understand. And as much as he wants to hold her all night, he has to say goodnight.

 

Jiyong

I’ll drive you home.

Chaerin flashes a bittersweet smile.

Yah we didn't even get the ramen psh...

 

--