Still alive and kicking

Four Against The World

The night is still, a room of snoring men can be heard. Suddenly, the lights come on and the sound of loud hailers are heard, rudely awakening the soldiers from their slumber. 

(booming) ASSES UP, TIME FOR SOME FUN BOYS!

 

Most of them hop up in attention. The frequent recurrences of these sudden intrusions have left them unfazed. Blending in this domino effect of soldiers springing from their beds is Taeyang aka Private Dong. Despite having just woken up, his appearance is sharp, and as always, shirtless (some things never change). On the contrary, across him is a snoring Daesung, hidden under his thin blanket.

 

(Taeyang whispers to his bunkmate private Joon)

, he must’ve fallen asleep while listening to music…

Private Joon

Ah crap the mp3… this

 

Private Joon and Taeyang kick a shoe towards Daesung’s bunkmate, Private Lee -

Ah what the… (Private Lee looks towards his comrades)

Taeyang and Private Joon:

(Mouthing) mp3!! (imitates earpiece in ears with fingers) 

 

Realization quickly dawns upon Private Lee. While the sergeants are still barking orders through the loud hailer, in a quick motion, he dives under Daesung’s blanket, pulls out the mp3, shoves it in his pants and slaps Daesung awake. He then re-emerges into reality only to find the sergeants standing right before him, staring dead into his eyes. At this moment, Daesung jumps up from bed -

 

NEH PRIVATE KANG AT YOUR SERVICE (stands in a salute position)

 

Everyone else around him stifle their laughter while standing in attention. Taeyang holds the urge to facepalm. Private Lee heaves a sigh of relief that they didn’t notice the mp3.

 

Sergeant 1 smacks Daesung in the head.

Yah you think you’re really funny huh?!

 

Sergeant 2 (loudhailer facing Private Lee’s face)

EVERYONE 20 ROUNDS ROUND THE BATTALION and because of your funny friend here, CARRYING YOUR FIELD PACK. NOW!

 

Everyone’s expression stiffen up, they gather their visibly heavy field packs and hurry out. 

Daesung bends down in defeat to grab his field pack -

(mouths to himself) Ah me...not again… 

Are you unhappy with something Private Kang? The sergeants tease. 

 

Daesang tenses up and responds almost immediately in his signature hoarse voice:

Anni, byeong jang sa!

He scurries away to join the rest.

--

 

Constant chanting by the army men is heard:

Left // right // left // right // left // right

 

Taeyang, Private Lee and Private Jung, and Daesung are marching together. 
 

Taeyang (in between breaths)

Daesung ah this is the fifth time we’re getting in trouble because of you -

Private Jung

Our (whispers) mp3 almost got discovered

Private Lee

Ya if they ever find out we’re screwed

Private Jung

aren’t you afraid that news like this gets out of camp into the media? 

Private Lee

The paparazzi’s probably scarier than both our sergeants combined 

Daesung

Yes… I know (catches breath) I won’t do it again…Anyway the media’s too focused on Seungri right now…. He really ed it up.

Taeyang

Let’s leave him out of this. 

Other Private who’s been eavesdropping:

Did you guys know? I’m pretty sure he shared some dirty videos with you (snarky laughter)

 

Daesung stops in his tracks.

SHIBAL what the did you say?! 

 

Daesung almost lunges at him, not before Private Lee, Jung and Taeyang hold Daesung back.

 

Private Lee

Yah hold it together, it’s not worth it. We’re getting out soon. Don’t risk it.

 

They march ahead, Daesung’s mood dampened further by the remark. Ever since the news, he’s been wracked in guilt, anger, and sadness which he’s been unable to express. He knew nothing of what Seungri was doing, if he ever knew he would’ve done everything he could to stop the maknae from committing all these sins. It bothered him even more that he couldn’t hate Seungri. He can’t even talk to Taeyang about it, he just keeps avoiding the subject.

 

--

Fresh from the shower, Taeyang collapses on his bed. He reaches under his mattress and pulls out a picture. It’s a picture of Hyorin, his wife. 

 

Taeyang (to himself)

Rin ah… I  hope you’re eating ok. 

 

He the picture and places it against his chest. A teardrop streaming down the side of his eye. He quickly wipes it away. 

 

At the center of the room, a hushed little dance battle has started. One of their comrades started doing the robot dance and another goes against him with a better, less amateurish version of the robot. Daesung does his Look At Me Gwisung dance, making everyone almost burst out laughing before they realize they shouldn’t arouse any attention from the outside. Private Lee and Private Jung join in, this time trying to do Fantastic Baby’s dance. 

 

Taeyang who’s standing at the sides laughing and spectating is pushed to the center. Someone throws a little hat on his head. 

 

Everyone whisper chants in unison

 

Taeyang...Taeyang….Taeyang…..Taeyang

 

His initial hesitance is overwhelmed by his desire to perform again. He starts doing the wave with his body, he then spins and breakdances. The Taeyang dance machine has been unleashed. His comrades try to jokingly join in, making a fool of themselves. The atmosphere is much lighter than it was previously.

 

Suddenly footsteps towards their room is heard. Like a natural reflex, everyone immediately scurries to their beds and pretends to be occupied with their own stuff. 

 

The 2 sergeants from previously emerge once again. 

Sergeant 1 announces

Private Dong and Private Kang, get up and follow us. 

 

Everyone directs their attention to Taeyang and Daesung, confused.

(Taeyang thinks to himself)

, did something happen... 

(Daesung thinks to himself)

Both of us… is this related to Big Bang… please don’t be bad news please. 

 

They walk towards the sergeants and out the door. Daesung holds the cross on his neck tightly, praying for there to be nothing wrong.

 

The sergeants lead them to another door.

Sergeant 2

You have 10minutes. 

 

Before they react, the door opens and the sight of Jiyong and big Seunghyun greets them. The door closes behind them, concealing the excited yells.

 

Daesung

Hyung!!

Taeyang

Jiyong ah, TOP Hyung!

 

They embrace each other excitedly.

 

--

They're all seated in a small room with 5 rows on empty tables spread about. Theirs is the only table filled with people. Seunghyun and Jiyong are on one side, Taeyang and Daesung on the other. Jiyong leans his face against his palm as he speaks.

After 5 years, the fans are still waiting. Thousands were there when I got out. I really didn’t know what to expect after the burning sun (Seungri’s scandal) news. 

 

Taeyang (leaning back on his seat)

I should’ve known… we should’ve stopped him, we should’ve taught him better… 

 

Daesung looks on at Taeyang, hearing him speak about Seungri for the first time. He stays silent.

 

Seunghyun

We owe our fans an apology, we owe them a truthful comeback.

 

Jiyong

Yes, that’s why we’re here today. It’s been 5 years, I know it hasn’t been easy. I feel like I’ve lost so much of myself but also strangely gained back a lot of myself. I realized the best way I can be a leader now is to lead right... and that means fixing what we've done wrong. I can't just sit back and wait for this to "blow over"

 

Taeyang

Blow over...hah...Let me guess, that's what YG said right?

 

Daesung

Ah typical YG... I want to give back to the fans too but after all this time in here .. I want to have a life for awhile, and I think Taeyang hyung wants to be with Hyorin Noona for awhile too, away from the cameras… 

 

Upon hearing his wife's name, Taeyang softens. He heaves a sigh then speaks

But we owe them, the fans. They brought us where we are Dae. 

 

Daesung

I know… I know. I miss performing too.

 

Jiyong

We don’t have to comeback right away. Let’s use this time to create the album, We can be with our families, get our lives back together, find ourselves again. 

 

Seunghyun

Lets getaway together for a week at least, I miss all of you. 

 

Daesung

Let’s do that… A writing camp trip!

 

Jiyong

Yah! is this debut days again haha

 

Taeyang

I like the idea of that, we’re coming out in a week… if Daesung doesn’t get us in trouble again (trying to make a joke)

 

Seunghyun hits daesung playfully on the head

YAH you little… what sort of trouble have you been stirring

 

Daesung

Ey hyung… 

 

Taeyang

So… Seungri’s officially out of Big Bang?

 

Jiyong

Yes. We’re four now. 

 

Before they can continue, sergeant 1 opens the door and announces

Times up. 

 

--

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong are heading back, Seunghyun is focused on driving, The Smiths is playing in the background. 

 

Jiyong

Hyung, I think I’m enjoying staying home too much right now

 

Seunghyun laughs

You’re going to regret saying that

 

Jiyong

Really though, I’m becoming one of those netflix and chill millennials

 

Seunghyun

Period dramas again?

 

Jiyong

Yea but none of them can match up to Queen Seondeok 

 

Seunghyun

Man you’re obsessed with that show

 

Jiyong

I love queens

 

Seunghyun

So how’s your queen doing?

 

Jiyong

Omma? She’s just happy I’m home, stuffing me with food all the time.

 

Seunghyun

You know who I mean… 
 

--