Wish you were here

Four Against The World

Smooth r&b flows out of the speakers in an empty house, filled with paintings, luxurious fur rugs, a huge designer couch and display cases of awards. Like a mad scientist with him chemicals, Jiyong is immersed in the pages of the notebook he’s scribbling on with no brakes. He sits on his roller chair, before his dual screen set up, completely enclosed by screens in his gigantic enclosure. Ever since he returned from the army, he hasn’t had time to himself in his own home. Finally his thoughts can run freely. These are the moments that he thrives in. His thoughts are like a waterfall, streaming incessantly, the weight of his words crashing on the pages of his 900won convenience store notebook. Suddenly, he drops his head to the table, as though he’s used up all his creative juices and is now an empty battery. 

 

A familiar memory of a hand his head gently dawns on him.

 

*flashback* 

 

A dainty looking hand smoothes Jiyong’s head of hair. It’s been rendered erratic by his constant hair scratching, pulling and shuffling whilst writing. 

 

[Voice]

Aigoo our Mr Kwon has worked so hard huh

 

Jiyong remains silent, drained from all the work.

 

[Voice]

The robot has finally shut down...where’s the reboot button? Is it… here? (pulls a lock of hair playfully)

 

Jiyong jumps up in attention, startled.

YAH! Chaerin ah, you know I hate it when you do that. Why did you come, did YG send you here? 


 

The person behind the voice is finally revealed to be Lee Chaerin, CL, GD’s labelmate.

Chaerin

YAH! Can’t I just visit a friend if I want? It’s not always because YG told me to.

 

 Chaerin walks away and sits on the couch, facing away from Jiyong.

 

Jiyong

Ok ok arrasso, I just don’t like it when people drop by unannounced.

Chaerin

It’s like we’re not even friends what the hell.

 

Jiyong heads over to sit beside Chaerin. Chaerin gets up, preparing to leave.

Jiyong pulls her back down to the couch.

Yah don’t be so petty, the same rules apply to the Big Bang boys too.

 

Chaerin gets back up again.

It’s ok I’m an unwelcome presence anyway.

 

Jiyong pulls her back down again.

Chaerin gets back up again.

I came over because you said you were having trouble with writing, I know how that feels so -

 

Jiyong pulls her back down again.

Chaerin reacts this time

YAH can you let me finish

 

Jiyong

Stop trying to leave, I said you can stay

Chaerin stands up again

Yea so I came here with jajangmun because this always perks me up between writing… why is it that everytime I do something nice, you think it’s because YG sent me.

 

Jiyong tries to pull her down, this time she resists, he pulls her more forcefully again. This time she stumbles and falls onto his lap. He looks down at her with a poker face, she looks back at him.

 

Chaerin yells

YAHH that hurts! 

 

She looks at Jiyong who’s staring down at her in silence then laughs

Chaerin:

You look like a real idiot right now chingu yah

 

Jiyong’s face changes to one of playful annoyance

Lee Chaerin what did you say?

 

Chaerin is too busy laughing at his face. She reaches out to his little stubble.

The stubbles of a struggling artist hahaha

 

She laughs as she gets up from his lap. 

 

Jiyong

I’m older than you, you know. You should be more respectful

Chaerin brings her face close to his and scrutinizes his face

Ok harabeoji (grandfather)

 

While she speaks, all Jiyong notices are her lips. He knows she’s always this playful and loves to overstep boundaries, that’s just who she is. He loves yet hates that about her, it’s lovable but it tempts him too much. He respects her work, he respects her. He always refers to her as a queen when talking about her to the Big Bang boys. He likes their friendship but he’s always felt this hesitance to get closer to her because… well because of this - 

 

Jiyong leans forward and plants a kiss right on her lips.

 

Chaerin freezes. Jiyong retracts himself.


 

Jiyong (flustered)

I’m sorry… I just… I don’t know…  I think you should go.

 

Chaerin doesn’t even say a word and leaves. She slams the door behind her. 

 

- Back to present day -

 

Jiyong leans his head back on his little dog bone pillow head as he scrolls through Chaerin’s instagram. 

 

Oh. She’s back from the States. (he thinks to himself)

 

He jumps out of his chair, throws on cheap looking hoodie, a face mask, grabs his car keys and heads out.

 

--