First snow

Pain that Lingers (The meaning of farewell)

Reika didn't have a great memory to begin with. She was always a bit aloof. 

Randomly forgetting her umberella at busstations or resturants. Or worse her phone. Making it a hassle to get hold of the girl. 

Yumi found it charming, annoying for sure but oddly endearing.

 

October 11th 2011. 

They sat together in a café. Their first meeting alone outside of work. They had ordered a slice of chocolate cake to share, but it stood untouched for a minute or two before any of them gathered enough courage to actually eat it. "Enjoy!" Reika said, pushing a forkfull towards Yumi who was surprised at the sudden action. "ah, okey" she said, opening to take in the cake.

As they ate the silence had transformed from awkward to a comfortable one. They exchanged glances and Yumi felt that they both knew, in that very moment. That they had found eachother. Their soulmate.

As the cake disappeared  their attention got drawn to the sudden fall of snow outside the window. Yumi remembers how Reika's eyes lit up. Teeth flashing in a wide smile.

Reika had wanted to go outside "Let's go, let's go!" she exclaimed cheerfully, and so they did. In that moment they linked hands to transfer warmth. Unconsciously, like magnets. 

From then on it became a habit. 

 

Yumi stared out the cafe window, onto the dimly lit street. It hadn't fallen any snow yet, but it was cold. The cafe haunted her. She could practically see Reika sitting infront of her. Or maybe walk past and give Yumi a excited wave. Before running in and enveloping her in a warm hug. 

White specks started to cover the night streets and Yumi felt tears well up inside of her. Reika would have loved the sight of this.

Yumi despised it, the coffe gone cold and a half-eaten chocolate cake for two, one fork left untouched.

She was almost alone in the cafe. Two workers and one other person ditting in the other far end. But it comforted her.

The silence, save for a cough here and there. 

But she felt the heavy abscence of Reika's voice, echo inside of her.