6th Push, considering you

Push and Pull, revised

The club met frequently over the summer, everyone joining up at a member’s house every few days, twice as much to your house as you and Yunho were both members. Most trips were social visits though, and even though there were promises of some treat, the day would end with someone a little too hyper and someone else a bit too annoyed.

A few of the more interesting meetings were at Changmin’s abode. He lived in a house in a historical neighborhood, the type with the ancient rooftops and old brick walls lining the streets. His house was packed next to all the others and seemed to struggle to show any originality. Changmin’s linens hanging on a clothes wire was a unique touch though, the comment you made causing Changmin to completely blush over.

“My parents believe that the summer is prime study time, and the only reason they haven’t enrolled me into five different private schools is because I promised to go above and beyond with my self learning.” The reaction to Changmin’s confessions was a light hum whereas you and Jaejoong flopped on his couch to check out what was on the small TV while Yunho started rummaging around the fridge for the edible something he knew was there. Only Yooeun looked even remotely concerned, starting to fluster over the plans for the day.

“So that means no horseplay?” And she fretfully ran her fingers through her lengthy black hair. Jaejoong actually laughed; her worry a cute any man would love. “I’m serious!” She almost shrieked.

“Ah, no, we can play as much as possible, but if my parents ask what we are doing then someone has to lie quickly.”

“Want to just make something up now?” Yunho asked through a mouthful of apple.

“Nah, who knows what we’ll be doing when my parents come home, let’s just wait until then.” Everyone agreed, watching a show on the grainy television before Changmin complained of starvation, Yunho bantering back about the third world countries going on their fifth straight week without even a decent bowl of rice. ‘Kill joy’ was muttered and snack time finally came.

Jaejoong took out the watermelon that the Jung siblings, Yooeun, and he had pitched in together to buy for their first visit to Changmin’s house. “It’s courteous,” Yunho explained, and that made enough sense for you. After searching around the kitchen, Jaejoong spotted a sharp knife to slice through the round melon. He cut the fruit with skilled hands, not letting the juice splash out, and then placed several slices onto a platter for the food hungry teens to devour. With no one’s attention but your own, he started placing chunks of the melon into a dingy blender Jaejoong found in a cupboard.

“Jaejoongie, what are you doing? A watermelon smoothie?” He shook his head, finally blending the fruit and getting everyone’s attention. Yooeun pulled out Popsicle holders and placed them to the side, taking charge again and explaining the purpose of the surprise.

“Well, we are the cooking club; we have to do something special. Watermelon Popsicles!” Six popsicle places were filled and stuffed into the freezer to be ready in two hours.

The five of you gathered in the living room to pass the time. “Might as well play a game. Charades, already decided. Yunho is my partner!” Changmin suddenly blurted out.

Your obvious first choice was to glance over to Jaejoong and confirm partnership, but he and Yooeun already shared the same large eyed ‘YOU AND ME’ gaze with each  other, smiling at the affirmation. He had not chosen you as a partner first, he chose her.

“I’ll be score keeper I guess,” you whispered more the floor than to the group. It seemed that Yooeun and Yunho nodded at this, and Jaejoong only briefly apologized with his eyes. At least you could read those for the time being, but you had no idea when the language they spoke would become foreign, only her understanding the messages hidden in them.

‘Are you okay?’ You wanted him to ask. That was not a happy smile on your face. It was forced, grudgingly forced, and not even a good one. It was so fake, but he didn’t even say anything. ‘Are you okay?’ Any unease at all would have been the slightest sign that your relationship was still rainbows and unicorns. But he didn’t say anything and the first round of movie titles started.

Changmin and Yunho had amazing teamwork, understandable since they were both close intelligent friends. Yooeun and Jaejoong, their teamwork was more of teamfail. Yooeun was terrible at reading Jaejoong’s movements (much to your joy) but was amazing at understanding Yunho’s ballerina pose and shouting out “Subaru!” when Changmin blurted out futile titles like “Black Swan!” She was twelve, her self control was terrible.

Yunho’s team won by a fifteen point lead. By the end of the game the two other players complained of boredom, unfair turns, and thirst. The popsicles were ready anyway, so everyone migrated to the kitchen once again and Changmin took out the frozen treats, which he passed one out to each club member.

One bump from Changmin and your Popsicle made friends with the floor. No apology and Changmin made friends with the floor too. “You jerk! At least say you’re sorry!” You had your childlike fingers curled into the collar of his tank-top.

Footsteps outside and soft grown-up murmurings.

“With my added weight, this flip had extra force. The joules used to toss Changmin down and the joules used to connect him and the floor had a great difference…” His parents gave a light nod to your group and shuffled into their bedroom to change out of their work clothes.

Changmin stared up at you in awe. “Wow, that was quick thinking, even if nothing you said made sense.” But you didn’t want to hear those words from him.

Push

It was during July when the five of you met at Jaejoong’s house and you noticed your mother in his kitchen, sharing a questioning glance with Yunho. “Umma, why are you here?” She playfully looked offended, and giggled along with Soonyi, Jaejoong’s mother. The two whispered to each other, a small argument cleared up instantly with a firm glare from Soonyi.

“I can visit friends if I want!” Your mother defended herself, obviously leaving out important information. You and Yunho just brushed off what she said to join everyone on the second floor to play Jaejoong’s brand new X-box. You and Changmin were competing with cars on a racetrack, the other three cheering for their favorites, when you heard a squeal from the kitchen. As a curious young girl, you turned your head down the stairs, wondering what all the commotion was about. When no secrets were revealed in the following silence from below, you turned back to the screen and realized Changmin had lapped you when your car rant into a bush and taken first place.

You pouted. “Changmin, you know no mercy.”

Push

Yooeun and you were huddled on opposite sides of Jaejoong’s room, viewing the moon cycle through an open window, shivering as the cool October wind blasted through the welcoming frame.  The blankets Jaejoong had lent to the two of you warmed your arms and toes, leaving a light blush on your cheeks. The resident of the room had left to get some warming drinks for his guests, his mother attending business and not able to do so herself.

His mother had needed to get a job to keep up with the family finances, and luckily she had been fully qualified (with the exception of passing a recently enforced eligibility test) for working as an accountant  at some up and coming company. When Jaejoong entered with the drinks you bravely asked him, “Does your mother like her new job? She seems much happier than before.” She graced the two with cheerful smiles more often and brightened up like blooming spring lilies. Something must have been going well at work.

Jaejoong took a sip of his drink. “I’m not sure. She doesn’t really talk about it much.” You just nodded, losing interest as quickly as the thoughts came to you, and looked out the window. The moon was a light yellow. Full and mesmerizing. Tonight’s work was easy. Just draw a circle. You sighed. You were practically done with all your other work, but you didn’t want to leave the comfort of the blanket. You were pondering getting up, or just staying over.

Sleeping at Jae’s house overnight hadn’t really been a problem with your parents. They trusted Jaejoong not to do anything to your innocent body. In their minds, Jaejoong was just another son and saw any relationship as sibling love only. Hopefully, these ideals would prove to be false one day. You shook your head, ‘what are you thinking about?’ With your head cleared you could smell the aroma of spices wafting up to the second floor and perked your drowsy head up. “What is that I smell?” Jaejoong smiled knowingly, your cold nose warmed in a gracious rub. He knew of your lazy traits,  hungry but unwilling to get up and had made dinner for you. Both of you.

“I thought you would like to stay for dinner. I made pumpkin curry. It’s ready now, so we should go down and eat it.” You made a silent cheer. Wrapping the blanket around tighter, you followed Jaejoong and Yooeun down.

Everyone talked about school things, how you absolutely hated your English teacher; she was always making rude comments in English. You happened to be particularly good at English and would always comment back, snarky, rude, and prepared for battle. Yooeun and Jaejoong chuckled at your impression of the teacher, voice a little too high and y to be realistic. His laugh was natural, mouth still covered, and without restrain. You dared to silently wish again… for things to continue peacefully.

You and Yooeun were helping to clear the table while Jaejoong was putting away the leftovers when the lock clicked on the door, alerting everyone of Jaejoong’s mother returning. The son smiled as the door creaked open, his small family together again one more night, and put down the container he was holding and went to the door. “Welcome back, Umma –who is this?” Next to his mother was a tall man with the outrageous hair cut in angular lines across his head. His hand in her hand. Her face flushed red, embarrassed to be caught with him by kids.

The man quickly whispered soft words of goodbye into her ears and lovingly kissed her neck before he reluctantly departed. She giggled like a young girl in a harmless first love and closed the door behind him only after his red Audi was too far to be seen, remaining in a daze before turning back to Jaejoong, Yooeun, and you. The blush took over more of her face.

“Well, there is no point in hiding it. I started dating again. I have been seeing that man since the summer. His name is Park Yoochun.” Her declaration to clear up all misunderstandings and answer all unasked questions, the damage tearing apart trust with every word.

Jaejoong stared at her in disbelief, doing mental math fast enough to make any teacher proud. His father had only died eight months earlier, his mother had forgotten about him and started dating just four months later. You were as shocked as he was, the deep love Mrs. Kim had for her husband superficial in this new light. The harsh critical words teetered precariously on your tongue, reality wanting to bite someone’s , something witty like when you would talking to your English teacher. ‘Is your love that fake?’ Something that would poke her for her every inconsiderate vile action she had just displayed.

She bowed her head to you and Yooeun and went to her lonely room. The three of you just watched her go, too shocked to even move. Anger and disappointment boiled inside of you because she was like a second mother, one that could cook and relent when life became unfavorable. Through all the treachery you felt, you could not even imagine what the betrayal Jaejoong felt, his heart probably wounded like a teasing paper cut over a painful burn. “How could she date someone when she hasn’t even been a widow for a year? That is so low.” You nodded while thinking.

You didn’t think that. Those words had not escaped your mouth. You turned to Yooeun shaking her head angrily. While you bottled up the fury inside, Yooeun was too much of an outsider to even consider this and voiced out her reason without one moments hesitation. These truths soothed Jaejoong, but these truths you did not say. He liked that someone was saying things like that, even if it wasn’t really nice. He liked when Yooeun cared about what was going on around him. He liked her and her words and her wit and her disquiet; he didn’t care if you never spoke one expression of distaste.

********************

Got bored with reading fics, studying, and reading Shakespeare, decided it was time to be satisfyingly productive. Didn't feel like making much up, might as well revise this. Once again though, I really don't remember the fic that well. Even rereading this does not help. If there were two things I could change, it would be the entire storyline, and I'd give this chick a name. My generic OC name is Soohye...

Comments are motivation, when I hear your praise and complaints I'll get my lazy back to this, otherwise, wait patiently my dears~♥