victory party

the hearth (a home to return to)

in which momo wins in more ways than one ;)
and then a little more detail about momo's daily camp life 

 

 

“MOMO! You have avenged me!” 

Momo was startled by Nayeon’s loud voice, who was pretending to weep tears of joy. Honestly, Momo thought it was funny whenever the Daughter of Ares did something so dramatic. She played along. 

“Yes! I, Momo, have restored your honor in tonight’s victory!” She struck a dramatic pose to match Nayeon’s. 

Their circle of friends laughed at their impromptu drama scene. 

After the game ended, all of the campers returned to the Dining Pavilion. A party was held for the winners but just about everyone joined in on the celebrating. The celebration spread to the rest of the camp as the campers scattered. 

Food and drinks were being served. Music was playing. Momo even saw a Satyr manning a DJ booth! 

The group slowly split off as they engaged with the other campers. Momo caught a glimpse of Dahyun and Chaeyoung playing beer pong with the Hermes cabin. And it looks like they were winning— Damn, looks like I won’t be seeing Chaeyoung in her legendary drunken state tonight.  
 

“Hey!” 

A tap on her shoulder caught Momo’s attention. Upon seeing that it was Sana, her face lit up in a bright expression. 

“You were pretty impressive back there. Maybe Nayeon was right.” 

Momo’s smile turned into a lopsided grin. “I did say I was a fast learner.” 

Sana giggled. “That disarming trick was pretty cool. I was stunned by it, honestly.” 

“I know. I wish I could have taken a picture of your face then.” 

Momo shook her head in faux-regret and laughed when Sana smacked her arm, whining at her teasing. The two’s laughter trailed off as the music got louder. A glance over to the DJ booth and Momo swore she saw Dahyun and Chaeyoung commanding the booth. 

“Hey... wanna dance?” 

Sana had a pearly white smile directed at Momo while she tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear slowly. If Momo didn’t know any better, she’d say that Sana was acting shy—or maybe she really was feeling a bit shy. Her heart skipped a beat at just the thought of it. 

Oh I should reply. 

“Definitely! Er—I mean… definitely.” 

Momo hoped that came out calmly. She’d be so embarrassed if she scared away a girl by shouting at them. Sana giggled and Momo’s cheeks tinted just a little bit. 

Wow. Even her laugh sounds cute. 

“C’mon then!” 

Sana took Momo by the hand and dragged her to the makeshift dance floor. 

Momo downed the cup in her hand before tossing it. A little liquid courage won’t hurt tonight. 
 

A hand shot out and grabbed the cup before it could hit the floor. The wood nymphs surely wouldn’t appreciate the mess. Good thing she was on the clean-up crew for tonight’s party. 

Nayeon grinned at Momo and Sana’s figures in the crowd of dancing campers. 

“My baby’s all grown up!” She pretended to weep again. “It was like it was just yesterday when I rescued her from a Colchis Bull.” 

“ Technically , it was two days ago.” Jeongyeon butted in. She was perched on top of a table and clearly amused by Nayeon’s dramatic acting. She was also on tonight’s clean-up crew. 

Jeongyeon held her hand up, prompting Nayeon to throw the cup at her. She caught it effortlessly before launching it into a nearby trash can. 

“Ahhh seriously, how did I end up stuck on the clean-up crew tonight?” Nayeon whined childishly. She took a seat next to Jeongyeon with a pout. 

“I could be spending time with my baby Chaengie.” Nayeon threw her head back dramatically, hand over her forehead. Jeongyeon snickered and reminded her exactly how. 

“Pfft. That’s what you get for betting against Jihyo.” 

“How was I suppose to know that Mina could bench press Dahyun?!” 


 

// 


 

A week had passed since Momo got to Camp. She felt like she’s been here for several summers instead of it only being her second week. 

Momo had gotten used to living like a demigod. Everyday was a routine but Momo genuinely enjoyed it. 

She’d wake up in the Hermes cabin. Usually to a bunch of pranks or the sheer ruckus of crazy fun that was present everyday. Then it’d be off to breakfast with Jeongyeon at her side. They’d meet up with the others afterwards. Some of them would be off on their camp shifts so Momo would take the time to attend camp classes with those who weren’t on duty. 

 

Monday’s were sword fighting classes with Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Actually, all types of weapons really. She’d get her whooped again and again but learn some sweet new moves. It was a nice balance. 

 

Tuesday’s would be archery with Tzuyu. Momo felt like she never made any progress but Tzuyu disagreed; She said she’s been getting closer and closer to the middle of the target board. Bless her soul—Momo would have given up already if it weren’t for Tzuyu’s patience. 
 

Wednesday’s were spent in the Forge with the majority of the Hephaestus cabin. Momo was learning how to make, refine, and care for her own weapons and armor. Other than that, Chaeyoung always had room for a helping hand with her projects. 
 

On Thursday’s, Momo would be in the infirmary. No, not for the reason you’re thinking of.  

Jihyo always took the morning shifts. (She was an early riser but it turned out all the Apollo kids were—something related to their father, Momo didn’t really think too hard about it.) 

Sometimes it was neat; other times, it was watching demigods get weird battle wounds fixed. Like this one time, a camper got a satyr hoof imprinted on his cheek because of a prank gone wrong. Momo didn’t know how Jihyo did it but the camper walked out with two brand new cheeks. 

Jihyo taught her the basics of first aid and battlefield first aid (“There’s a difference??”) whenever there was a lull in between patients. The infirmary shift was interesting but she really only stayed because of Jihyo’s company. 

After the infirmary, Momo would be helping out in the strawberry fields. Hey, the camp had to get it’s funding from somewhere . Luckily for the camp, the Demeter and Dionysus cabins made growing strawberries easy with their natural green thumbs. 

Mina usually was free after Momo finished picking strawberries. The two would stay in the Arts & Crafts building either taking an art class or playing one of Mina’s games. Momo learned not to take Mina’s competitive streak too seriously. The girl was a force to be reckoned with in her video games. (She suspected that the Daughter of Athena was a sore loser but let’s be real—Momo hasn’t seen her lose a game yet and she doubts Mina ever will.) 
 

Friday’s were her favorite. It probably had to do with the training sessions she got to spend with Sana. The two would spar with each other after breakfast before spending the whole afternoon competing at the lava rock climbing wall. Later, they’d meet up with the others at dinner. Then another game of Capture the Flag would commence—another reason why Friday’s were her favorite. 
 

Saturday’s and Sunday’s were free days. Campers would help out here and there around the camp but everybody was basically free to do what they want. Momo liked to spend her weekends lazing around, exploring Camp, and talking with her Mom—who lived in Japan, by the way—via Iris Message. 

Oh yeah, how cool is that. Texting or facetiming? Pfft — Iris Message takes the cake anytime. 


 


 

Momo was having the time of her demigod life. 

But... 

Another matter was on the back of her mind. Something that wouldn’t leave her thoughts no matter what. 

It had been her second week at camp and still no sign of her parent claiming her. She didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed. 

One part of her was unsure of where she’d belong. She kinda got along with everyone. Even the Ares’ kids—who were the roughest and toughest (their words) of Camp Half-Blood. The waiting and the unknown only made her anxious. 

She’d be lying if she said she wasn’t afraid; a tiny part of her was scared of remaining unclaimed for who knows how long. Jeongyeon told her that there were some extremely rare cases of campers going unclaimed for years and years. 

Another part of her was kinda disappointed. She’d been kept in the dark for almost all her life and she still is. She guessed she was upset—like a child not getting enough attention. But how do you even get the attention of your parent who’s supposedly a Greek God.  

Momo had no clue why she wasn’t claimed yet. Jihyo told her new campers were usually claimed within the first week. This information only made her anxious feelings double in size. 

 

The Fates must have heard her—cause everything started changing after that weekend of her moping around