Camp Half-Blood; a home

the hearth (a home to return to)

Dahyun sighed as she leaned back into the picnic table in relief. She took a look around, the commons area of the Cabins was still in disarray. A few crumpled boxes here, an upturned table there, small piles of swords and shields scattered everywhere—and this was only a portion of the Camp that was disorganized.

Thank the Gods that the whole ‘ cursed haven’ thing started to die down. Before that, it was much worse. The whole curse settled down around midnight so at least the Camp was able to sleep soundly.

Dahyun lazily grinned. She slept like the dead last night. And that hasn’t happened since before her friends left Camp for their quest.

A small frown settled onto her face at the reminder of Momo, Jihyo, and Chaeyoung.

The Daughter of Zeus let out another sigh, this one sounding a little more sad.

Before she could wallow in her sadness, a ruffle to her hair interrupted her.

“Hey Dubu,” Dahyun whined as her hair got messed up. She looked up to see Jeongyeon’s mischievous grin. “What’s up with that sigh?”

She shrugged and a moment of comfortable silence passed between the two. Jeongyeon settled comfortably next to her on the picnic table bench. The two watched as campers started cleaning up the mess left over from the curse.

Dahyun spoke up, opening the conversation about their preoccupied friends. “I just… I miss them, you know?”

Jeongyeon’s eyes were on her but she stayed quiet, letting the younger demigod finish gathering her words.

“...and I know that it’s only been a few weeks but…,” Dahyun’s frown slipped a little lower and her eyes turned downcast. “I just miss them all so much.”

Jeongyeon let out an understanding hum. She observed her friend for a little before turning her gaze back towards the open field of the commons area. She could understand Dahyun greatly; she was on the other end a couple years back during her own quest, wondering when she’d get back to Camp safely and if she’d ever see her friends and family again.

Flashes of distant memories began to surface in her mind. The Daughter of Hermes shook her head to dispel them. That was another story for another time.

“It’s alright to feel like that. I miss them too.” Jeongyeon softly patted Dahyun. “But the only thing we can do is stay strong and make sure that they have an intact camp to return to.”

Dahyun lifted her head up. Jeongyeon’s soft and reassuring smile came into view. Slowly, Dahyun’s frown was replaced by a small upwards quirk of her lips. She whispered her thanks and the two demigods basked in a rare moment of peace at Camp.


 

The moment of peace didn’t last very long. But this is a camp for demigods so what did they expect?


 

A muffled boom echoed off in the distance sounding like it came from the direction of the Forge. Several nearby campers turned their heads towards the commotion.

Dahyun and Jeongyeon jumped to their feet looking around in alarm.

“What happened?! I thought the curse was finally over?”

“It is… or it was since lights-out yesterday. There hasn’t been any incidents since then.”

The commotion died down as soon as the sight of Sana dragging a soot-covered Nayeon across the Cabins’ commons area appeared.

On their way over, the two demigods were able to glean a few details from their friends’ loud conversation.

“—and that’s why you don’t touch anything the Hephaestus kids label as ‘dangerous’. Because if it’s dangerous for them, then it’s ten times as dangerous for others!”

Nayeon’s whining about her being covered in smoke and soot could be heard even as the two entered the bathhouse.


 

Mina appeared shortly after, joining Dahyun and Jeongyeon at their usual table. She had an amused smile and a small amount of soot marked the edge of her t-shirt sleeves.

Dahyun perked up at the sight of her girlfriend. Mina sat next to her and Dahyun took the opportunity to peck her cheek before snuggling into her side, prompting the Daughter of Athena to giggle at her girlfriend’s antics.

Mina greeted Jeongyeon with a “Hey” before she wrapped her arm around Dahyun.

Jeongyeon smirked at the Daughter of Athena, “Was that boom because of Nayeon?”

Mina laughed gently, “Yeah. She went into the Forge again and misread the label on a container.”

Jeongyeon let out a hearty laugh whereas Dahyun simply chuckled. No wonder their friend was covered from head to toe in soot and smoke.

“Did she forget her glasses again? Is it still in the fridge?”


 

Campers ran around fixing up the mess around Camp but the pace wasn’t as hurried as the few days prior. Things are more relaxed now. The Camp still had their guard up though; no one knew if the curse was just taking a break or if it was really lifted.

Amidst the conversation between the three demigods, Nayeon and Sana slumped onto the table tiredly; Nayeon because of her earlier ordeal and Sana from dealing with Nayeon’s ordeal.

Tzuyu was the last of their group to join them. Her tall frame could be seen coming from the direction of the training grounds. The Daughter of Apollo had her bow tucked behind her back and her quiver of arrows strapped to her thigh.

As she approached, Jeongyeon looked at her with bright expectant eyes. Tzuyu quirked an eyebrow up. When Jeongyeon raised her eyebrows and made a goofy expression at her, she rolled her eyes and shoved her shoulder. Jeongyeon laughed before pulling her girlfriend down to the seat next to her.

“How was patrol?”

“Fine.” Tzuyu said nonchalantly.

Jeongyeon noticed that her dark eye bags contradicted her casual tone but she didn’t say anything. Instead she took her girlfriend’s hand into her own and rubbed small circles with her thumb.

A tiny corner of Tzuyu’s mouth lifted before she continued.

“The training grounds are still sealed off since we don’t know if the curse is still active or not.”

Since it was her shift today, she had spent the morning patrolling the arena, the archery range, and the javelin range. The Camp had stationed patrols around those areas ever since the first incident with the curse. The curse had the campers’ weapons thrown back at them; the reaction was chaotic as dozens of demigods had to flee from their arrows and javelins. You could see why the area was sealed off.


 

Conversation resumed around the table; The demigods discussed the recent events of the curse and their friends on their quest. Then they moved on to the subject of daily Camp activities and started planning for the next game of Capture the Flag.

It was in the middle of Sana and Mina’s passionate strategy talk that something unexpected happened.

Dahyun shot up out of Mina’s comfortable hold like she was struck by a bolt of lightning and interrupted the Daughters of Athena’s game plan. The group of demigods quieted down as they witnessed Dahyun’s perplexed expression.

The Daughter of Zeus narrowed her eyes as she scanned the skies. The rest of the group couldn’t see what she was sensing so Nayeon spoke up and asked, “What’s wrong?”

Dahyun’s eyes remained fixed on the skies. As a Daughter of Zeus, she had a more heightened sense of the sky and all its attributes. Basically, she was like a glorified air traffic control tower with a better built-in radar.

“There’s something in the air... something big.” Dahyun narrowed her eyes as she focused. “And it got past the Camp borders.”

That rang some alarm bells. The demigods scrambled up out of their seats. Could it be monsters? Another byproduct of the curse? A flock of griffins? A herd of harpies?

“There!” Dahyun shouted before she suddenly started sprinting away. She got a running start and then launched herself into the air. “Over the Lake!”

The group of demigods split up; Nayeon, Sana, and Jeongyeon darted after Dahyun’s flying figure. Mina and Tzuyu ran in the opposite direction, yelling about getting some help from additional campers and Chiron.


 

/


 

“It’ll carry you home safely.”

When she thought about the phrase safely, this was certainly not what Momo was thinking of.


 

Momo screamed as she free-fell in the air. There was nothing, absolutely nothing that could help them out now. Jihyo and Chaeyoung were near her, forming a little triangle as they all hurtled to the ground below. Granted, they were considerably high in the air and they couldn’t recognize anything down on the ground… yet.

After they had crushed the translucent orbs back at the mountain clearing and were whisked away by magic, the demigods found themselves falling through the air.

Momo should have known that nothing would come by easy for a demigod. Especially a magic item claiming to transport them home safely.


 

Wind rushed by her face as they all plummeted downwards. All she could see was green and a small dot of blue.

“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH”

Wait… the dot of blue kinda looked… familiar?

“HEY!”

She shouted, trying to get past the rushing air and through to her friends. Luckily she managed to reach them as Jihyo and Chaeyoung’s panicking faces turned towards her.

“I think… that might be Camp!” Momo’s finger pointed down at the blue dot that was starting to get bigger and bigger. Her gut told her it was the same lake back at Camp and Momo learned a long time ago to trust her instincts whenever water was involved.

The demigods scanned the ground—the ground that they were getting closer and closer to. Momo could start making out Camp Half-Blood’s prominent features. The Lava Wall was over there, glowing brightly and spewing hot lava just as she remembered it. The Lake was coming up right below them, and over by their right— was it their right? —the Athena Parthenos was standing tall on Half-Blood Hill.

Ok, that proves it. They were back at Camp Half-Blood—but not by the mode of transportation she would have preferred.

“Oh man,” Chaeyoung wailed, that’s right, she wailed . “We’re gonna be demigod pancakes! Even after surviving The 12 Labors and a giant evil Python—our fate is to become demigod pancakes!”

Jihyo laughed and snorted. “I think you’re spending too much time with Nayeon. That was really dramatic.”

Momo shouted at the Daughter of Apollo. “How are you so calm!”

Jihyo shrugged and smiled like she wasn’t falling to her demise.

“We’re back at Camp!”

She said that as if it meant something.


 

Whatever it was, Momo didn’t have a clue. All she could focus on was the wind rushing past her ears, the rapid pounding of her heart, her stomach mimicking her plummeting free-fall, and the clear blue lake water that was growing and growing bigger by the second.

The lake!

Momo breathed in, trying to settle the rolling wave of nausea in her stomach. She focused on the familiar blue, blue water. Her arms moved in a circular motion; if she could get the water to absorb the impact of their fall, then they might actually survive this.

Still... this was some insane pressure.

They vanquished the mythical Python, surely she could summon a giant stream of water to catch their fall.

Right?


 

The Lake started churning and churning as the water responded to the will of the Daughter of Poseidon.

The water rippled frantically, matching the demigod’s movements. From the center of the Lake, a large form started to take shape. A tower of water rose—higher and higher and higher. Several demigods that happened to be peacefully enjoying the lake clamored in surprise.

The blue tower transformed, growing in size and height as it began to resemble a giant humanoid hand. The hand reached upwards, it’s palm facing the sky—or more specifically, the demigods that were falling from the sky.

The giant hand of water rose to catch the demigods. Now easily towering over the height of any of the Camp’s landmarks, it ascended quickly.

But the distance between the two points was still large.

Momo could see the entirety of the Lake now. That only meant they were closer to the ground—closer to impact.


 

A crack of lightning rang out. Something incredibly fast zipped through the air; the next thing Momo knew, Jihyo had been whisked away.


 

She was bewildered but she couldn’t focus on that, couldn’t spare even a second. Her priority was commanding the watery hand below.

In a last spurt of her energy, the giant hand lunged up and forward, meeting them halfway and closing its fist around them.

Chaeyoung couldn’t help but let out a squeak of surprise. She expected to feel the cold grip of the water. Instead the sensation was a cool and comforting hold. She suspected that it was because of Momo controlling the watery limb, but eh, who knows.

Momo grinned as the water rushed through her; she could feel her energy being replenished just from the contact. The hand descended to the shore where she made it drop them off, safe and dry, before rushing all the water back to be deposited in the lake. Adrenaline coursed through the two demigods from the abrupt landing; the experience of hurtling towards the ground at breakneck speed was... something else.

If the Camp and the Lake wasn’t there, surely we would have… Ok, nope. I’m not gonna even go there.

Momo’s rambling thoughts were cut off by a loud shout of their names.


 

“MOMO! CHAEYOUNG!”


 

Momo was hunched over, hands on her knees as she took a moment to recover from their fall. The sudden summoning of the lake water took more energy than she expected. She finally caught her breath and straightened up just as Nayeon emerged, seemingly out of nowhere, and scooped Chaeyoung up in her arms with a loud shout.

A delightful chorus of laughter resonated between the two of them as Nayeon spun them around in circles. Chaeyoung wrapped her legs around Nayeon’s waist, turning into a koala with how hard she hugged the Daughter of Ares.

Momo smiled broadly at the sight of her two friends. Their laughter had dissolved into lighthearted giggles as Nayeon and Chaeyoung leaned their foreheads together.


 

A dashing movement in the corner of her vision distracted her. Turning her head, Momo’s smile grew wider as she spotted the rest of her friends. Jeongyeon, Tzuyu, Mina, and—Sana!

Just when she thought she had caught her breath, she lost it again at the sight of the Daughter of Athena.

Man, what a sight for my sore eyes.

Momo let out a sweet and soft sigh, almost inaudible to anyone else if they weren’t standing next to her. Her smile turned soft as she took in the sight of the girl who made her heart perform acrobatics.


 

Her friends were within shouting distance, and getting closer and closer by the second. She thought she saw Dahyun landing nearby, and was that Jihyo in her arms? Mina took a detour, running up to them before sandwiching Jihyo between her and Dahyun. Momo could hear Jihyo’s hearty laugh—but then all she could focus on was Sana and her sweet strawberry scent and her beaming smile as she ran towards her.

Momo moved quickly and met her halfway, her body running the fastest she could ever remember. Their bodies collided softly before Sana wrapped them both into a tight hold. Momo could feel her body literally melt in Sana’s embrace. She buried her face in Sana’s hair as Sana rambled on about how terribly she missed her and how worried she was and how she couldn’t wait for their first date.

Momo’s smile grew so big that her cheeks were starting to hurt. She repeated Sana’s words of “I miss you” but the only thing running through her mind was—

 

I’m home.


 




 

According to tradition, the Camp presented the returning demigods with laurel wreaths—weaved by the Demeter kids—and threw a huge feast in honor of the success of their quest. Which lasted the whole remainder of the day by the way.

It was a great feeling; as rewarding as the successful completion of their quest, Momo was just relieved to be back at Camp safe and sound and with her favorite people in the world.

The feast lasted until night fell.

Then another celebration took place. Everybody marched to the bonfire on the beach and following tradition, the demigods burned the burial shrouds that their cabins made for them in their absence. They were all beautifully crafted shrouds.

Jihyo’s shroud was a vibrant and bright yellow silk—very fitting indeed. Apollo’s symbol, the Sun, was the centerpiece. A lyre and a bow and arrow marked the corners. Her father’s sun chariot was placed above the sun and was enchanted to look like it was riding across the silk as it burned.

Chaeyoung’s cabin made her burial shroud— it was a brilliant orange-red color. A flaming hammer and anvil sat front and center. Gears lined the edges, mixed with small depictions of the mythical creations of Hephaestus. Her shroud burned vividly, becoming one with the flames.

Momo didn’t have any cabin siblings to make her shroud but that wasn’t a problem. Like Nayeon promised, she took care of it and made sure her friend had one. Her shroud was a mix between true blue and sea-green. The bottom half was covered with rolling waves; gorgeous horses and dolphins littered the seafoam like they were riding the waves themselves. Two tridents were in the center, crossing each other to make an x. Momo almost thought it was a shame to burn the beautiful works of art.


 

After the traditional shroud burning, the Camp engaged in its usual campfire night. Apollo’s cabin led the sing-along as usual. Snacks were passed around; s’mores and hot-dogs and any kind of campy food really. The whole Camp was celebrating; Satyrs, wood nymphs, water naiads, even the Pegasi!

Momo felt utterly content; she was back at Camp Half-Blood, the one safe haven she had (other than her Mom’s place, of course), and surrounded with all of her new friends and mentors (Chiron had given her a proud smile when the demigods had returned), and just having a good time in general.

Momo’s attention turned from Dahyun and Chaeyoung turning the campfire song into an epic rap battle, to the seat next to her. Sana sat down beside her, close enough to brush her side. She held a s’more in her hand, lifting it up as an offer.

Momo’s smile turned into a cheeky grin as she replied, “No thanks. You’re sweet enough for me.”

Sana gaped at her for a few seconds before she grumbled and shoved the s’more into Momo’s laughing mouth. Her face lit up red, enough to rival the campfire.

Momo toned down her laughter. She really didn’t want to choke on this s’more. Sana had turned her face away but she could still make out the smile threatening to consume her face. Momo laced their hands together (getting a squeeze and a twinkling giggle in response which, honest to the Gods, made the butterflies in her stomach swirl violently ) and the two leaned against each other as they watched Nayeon and Jeongyeon perform a comically fitting dance to DubChaeng’s rapping.

And as Momo sat by the campfire warm and content, surrounded by all her precious people that have wormed their way into her heart, she truly felt at home. Hestia’s Hearth flickered vividly before the campfires continued burning brightly.

The campfire stayed illuminated through the night and the sound of demigods laughing and celebrating roared bright and loud. One might dare say they reached the clouds of Mt. Olympus itself. (And maybe the Gods even answered. Or maybe it was just Momo, but she swore she definitely heard a whisper in the night. Was it too much to hope it was the goddess Hestia?)



 

Come all demigods who walk this Earth,

Glorious is your birthright,

Arduous is your journey,

The life of a demigod will be as sweet as Dionysus’s wine and as bitter as celestial bronze,

But remember,

For as long as there is a hearth,

You will always have a home to return to.

 

 


 

Pretty girls that could kick her ?

Check! Sana had that down pat; she was the prettiest, the sweetest, the cleverest, and the most fun person Momo had ever met in her life. Sure Momo got her handed to her by the Daughter of Athena sometimes but you know what? Her sweet, sweet kisses made up for it.

 

Magical creatures and an even magical-er camp?

Ok, so the Pegasi are her favorite… despite the magical poop incident that she’ll never ever talk about again (Dahyun and her swore a pact ). The satyrs, wood nymphs and water niades were pretty cool too. Just don’t disrespect nature, man. That littering incident still gave her nightmares.

Camp Half-Blood was honestly her favorite place to be. And she’s not just saying that because of the second family she found here.

...Ok, maybe it is because of that.

 

Dangerous mythological monsters out for her demigod blood?

Yeah… that still . But hey, can’t win ‘em all!

 

//


 

FIN