EPILOGUE

the hearth (a home to return to)

EPILOGUE 

 

// 



 

Momo huffed as she dumped her duffle bag onto the small sofa. 

“That should be the last of it.” 

The demigod looked around the room. She was back in her dorm after that unforgettable hell of a quest. She made contact with her Mom, revealing that she was safe and sound at Camp Half-Blood. Her Mom got a kick out of the whole debacle with the Colchis Bull and the golf cart, not to mention her long quest. She said she didn’t mind Momo being at Camp Half-Blood every summer from now on. 

So now, Momo couldn’t wait for this semester to be over with so that she could get back to Camp. 

And Sana. 

Momo sighed as she slumped onto the bed. Thinking of the Daughter of Athena, her girlfriend , did that to her. 

Yeah, that’s right. Her Girlfriend , with a capital G. 

They went on their first date and it went “pretty well”. If you don’t count a manticore crashing the end of their date as “pretty well”. Needless to say, the manticore was no match for the pair of demigods. 

And guess what 

She got to kiss the girl after the fight. It was either the adrenaline from the fight or maybe it was her feelings but when Sana pulled her in, Momo’s heart skipped and jumped and all that jazz. 

So all in all, she’d say it was a good date. 


 

But something else was niggling at the back of Momo’s mind. 

At the end of the final boss battle with the Python. Yeah, that giant serpent. 

There was a bright flash and then the Python turned into golden dust. Remember that? 

Well… it wasn’t the only thing that happened; during the flash, there was a deep rumbling of a voice. She couldn’t make out the voice—it was too echo-y and vague. But one thing was for sure... it was of a monster and it wasn’t the Python. 

The creepy voice basically said: “ Demigods… you have only taken down one of us… your nine fates lie with the rest of us… let us see if you prevail the next time…”  

Momo let out a content sigh as she wiggled into a comfortable position. 

The whole thing sounded pretty ominous to her. If she hadn’t confirm it with Jihyo or Chaeyoung, Momo would have thought she was going crazy. 

But! That’s the life of a demigod for ya. 

For now, she’s just gonna focus on surviving this semester at college. She can worry about it back at Camp. 


 

Knock knock!  

Momo sat up slowly with a confused face. She wasn’t expecting anyone so soon. 

Who could that be?  

The demigod opened her dorm door, revealing a tall, older man. It wasn’t anyone she recognized. 

The older man was dressed in a short-sleeve button-up shirt that had little surfboards on it, some shorts, and flip-flops. He had short wavy black hair (that looked constantly wet?), a well-kept salt-and-pepper beard, and his skin looked tanned. He smelled like a salty sea breeze, which was strange cause Momo knew that the nearest beach was a good road trip away. 

Other than the smell of the sea, the big thing that threw Momo off was the man’s eyes. They were a startling color—a bright shade of blue-green that seemed to reflect rippling waves. 

“...Hello?” Momo asked hesitantly. 

A warm smile graced the man’s features before he replied. The strange thing was that his smile disarmed her weariness, almost effortlessly so. 

“Hello Momo. Tell me, how does my trident fare in your hands?” 


 

//