Epilogue - His favourite place, Gwanghwamun

Gwanghwamun

 

It turned out that after his grandma's funeral, Sungmin has to immediately enlisted. Once he reached his apartment, he retrieved his phone but it was out of battery. No time to charge his phone, so he just kept it and grabbed his phone charger and packed whatever he could for his enlistment.

 

Sungmin sighed regrettedly that he couldn't contact Kyuhyun. He vowed to find time to charge his phone and to text Kyuhyun to explain.

 

Kyuhyun attended classes as usual and kept doing a lookout when he was in the library, in case Sungmin was there.

 

"Either whatever has happened was only in my dream, or we are now in different time zone" Kyuhyun sighed. He didn't understand what really happened.

 

"Hey Kyuhyun! How are you, man?!" suddenly another student, Donghae, was patting his shoulder and sat next to him in the cafetaria.

 

"Hey Hae, I'm good! You alone? Where's your brother?" Kyuhyun asked because usually Donghae would always go around with his older brother, Donghee.

 

"Ohh, my hyung? He got enlisted. You know Sungmin-hyung? They are in the same camp" Donghae said while chewing his sandwich.

 

Kyuhyun nearly choke. So, Sungmin got enlisted? He knew Sungmin had mentioned it before, but he didn't know when.

 

"I see, so Sungmin is in the same camp as Donghee. They just got enlisted?" Kyuhyun asked curiously so that he could piece his puzzles together.

 

"Yeah, they got enlisted 2 days ago. I think they will be in camp for 3 weeks, then they can go home"

 

"I see..." Kyuhyun nodded slowly. But then, what happened to Sungmin the days before he got enlisted? Where was he that he couldn't come and meet up with him? Kyuhyun still has that gray area there. 

 

On the 3rd day, Kyuhyun received a text message in the middle of the night. He nearly fell off his bed when he saw that the message was from Sungmin! He read and re-read his message, and beginning to understand what had happened. 

 

Then he replied Sungmin, trying to put words that touched Sungmin's heart. Purposely. 

"I got drenched waiting for you. Ran to your apartment as fast as I could but your door was locked. Then I ran back to Gwanghwamun in case you were there, but you were not. So actually you were on the way to your hometown.." 

 

"I'm so sorry Kyu. Wait for me at Gwanghwamun in 3 weeks time, on Saturday morning, ok. We recruits will be allowed to go home, and I will go straight to Gwanghwamun. See you Kyu. Missed you loads" and that was the last message he received. He understood that in camp, they cannot use the phone, so Sungmin must have sneeked out to send the text message to him. 

 

The next 3 weeks were the longest for Kyuhyun. The days crawled and finally one week passed. He didn't know why the days took so long and eventhough he need to study for his assessments, he still scolded the day because they were crawling too slow. 

 

And on that Saturday morning on the 3rd week, Kyuhyun rushed to the Gwanghwamun to wait for Sungmin. He was smiling because he had leaned to use the skateboard from Donghae, so now he was practically road-boarding towards Gwanghwamun! 

 

"Oh , don't rain! Not now!!" Kyuhyun cursed at the water droplets and looked up to the clouds "Please God, have some mercy on me. Let me meet with Sungmin, and after that, you can pour as much as you want!!" Kyuhyun was practically begging out loud. Luckily nobody heard him as most tourist were busy watching the changing of guards. 

 

There was a bus full of men in army uniform, stopping opposite Gwanghwamun. It must be one of the drop-off points for these army boys. In 2 years time, he too, will be enlisted, Kyuhyun smile to himself. 

 

What should he do when Sungmin was here? Should he feign angry, or feign annoyed or keep quiet, or hugged him to death? He missed him terribly and the absence of news just added salt to water. He put his hands in his pocket and looked down, trying to decide how he should behave. He felt like, seeing his crush all over again! 

 

Suddenly somebody was in front of him and said "Ahemm hmmm". He looked up and opened his mouth and stupidly closed it. He couldn't believe that in front of him, was Sungmin!! So dashingly handsome in his army uniform, short hair hidden under his army cap. 

 

"Su... Su...Sungmin??? Is that you? Ohmygoodness!! Finally!!" and he threw all his plans out the window (except the last one) and hugged him to death!!! 

 

They were hugging and laughing "Ohh Kyu, I missed you so much!! And I'm so sorry about what happened..." Sungmin was saying in-between their hugging. 

 

"It wasn't your fault, maybe God just want to test us, how we could ensure separation" Kyuhyun suddenly could talk like a scholar. 

 

"Can we go somewhere to talk? I'm hungry!" Sungmin laughed cutely. 

 

"Let's eat pizza?" Kyuhyun suggested, caused he hasn't eat pizza since Sungmin left. Somehow it wasn't fun eating pizza alone, as per Kyuhyun's common sense. 

 

"Great, let's go!" 

 

They started to walk and Kyuhyun looked back at Gwanghwamun gate. It served him with fond memories, heartbreak, sadness, but most importantly, where he found happiness again. 

 

Gwanghwamun gate would always be his favourite spot, and where his heart would always be, in a long long time.