Gwanghwamun gate

Gwanghwamun

The changing of guards at Gwanghwamun always attracted lots of attention from tourist and locals alike, especially those from outside Seoul, and it was always so crowded. Kyuhyun hate it if he has afternoon classes. He has to go through all the crowd just to walk towards his university.

Kyuhyun was a 1st year student at Sungkyunkwan University and the campus was situated behind Gyeongbokgung Palace.

Sungkyunkwan University is a private comprehensive research university in South Korea. The institution traces its origins to the historical Sungkyunkwan founded in 1398 by the Joseon Dynasty located in the heart of central Seoul. As the foremost educational institution of the Joseon Kingdom, it was governed by the great code of the state administration with royal assent and was the main higher learning institution if any locals wanted to be a Palace official.

After Kyuhyun managed to go through a group of Chinese tourist, he collided straight into another person. "" he murmured to himself.

"Whatever happen to "I'm sorry?" You came straight into me and you said "". I heard that" the person's hands were on his waist while looking up at Kyuhyun.

"I'm sorry. I went through a big crowd and I didn't see that you were there" Kyuhyun apologised, bowing slightly to the person. He looked up and his jaw dropped. The person that he bumped into was his crush from his university, Lee Sungmin, a third year student.

"Apologies accepted" and suddenly Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun's sweater, which has Sungkyunkwan's emblem. "Ohh, you are from Sungkyunkwan?"

"Yes, I am. I'm sorry for my manners, i'm Cho Kyuhyun"

"Hi, I'm Lee Sungmin. Which year are you from?"

"I'm a freshman. In College of Information and Communication Engineering" Kyuhyun said, smiling. Actually he was jumping for joy because he finally managed to talk to his crush. Maybe he would jump later, when Sungmin had turned around and went the other way. 

"Oh wow, not an easy course. I'm in my 3rd year, in College of Liberal Arts" Sungmin said. 

"I know... " Kyuhyun smile to himself like an idiot. He didn't say it out loud, of course. He only nodded, still smiling. 

"Ok, you better get going. I have no afternoon lectures, so I'm off. Nice to get to know you, Kyuhyun-ssi" Sungmin said, waved at him and walked the other way into the crowd.

Kyuhyun literally jumped for joy and with his "yes!" fist, he smile to himself. Finally, his crush noticed him!! He was in Sungmin's group during orientation and the 3rd year students were task to welcome the freshman and to explain to them college life as well as bringing them around the huge compound of Sungkyunkwan. He reckon Sungmin didn't remember him, else he would have recognised him from the freshman group. 

Kyuhyun was mesmerised by Sungmin's beauty. The way he talked, the way he giggled and the way his big eyes shone with pride when he brought them around the campus. But Kyuhyun knew that he was only a freshman, how on earth would Sungmin ever want to accept him as a friend... or, more than that?

After the orientation and when the university semester started, he would always see Sungmin walking from lectures, talking with his friends, running to the library and eating in the University cafeteria, but Kyuhyun could only watch Sungmin from far, because he was too shy. His admiration for Sungmin quadraple as the months went by and he never had a chance to talk to him, until now. Would Sungmin recognised him the next time when they saw each other in the campus ground? He hope so. 

A few weeks later, Kyuhyun was having late lunch alone in Sungkyunkwan's cafetaria when suddenly a tray was placed next to his. He moved slightly to give more space to that student and was wondering why that student didn't sit elsewhere because there were a lot of vacant seats. 

"Hi Kyuhyun-ssi! How come you lunch so late?" suddenly Kyuhyun heard the student speaking, and automatically his heart pumping vigorously because he recognised the voice! It was Lee Sungmin! 

He turned and bowed slightly "Hello Sungmin-ssi!! You recognise me!" Kyuhyun managed to say amidst his thump-thump-thump heartbeats. 

"Actually, after we bumped into each other that day, I suddenly recalled why you looked so familiar. Then I remembered! You were in that freshman group that I was in-charge off! No wonder after you saw me, you looked surprised" Sungmin smile widely. "So how come you lunch so late?"

"Ohhh, I was clarifying something with my professor, so I told my classmates to proceed first for their lunch. How about you?" 

"I was on duty at the Central Library, and just ended my shift. My lecture is at 3.30pm later, so I have plenty of time" and Sungmin added "I'm so happy to meet you again, Kyuhyun-ssi!" 

That sentence made Kyuhyun's heart became more erratic. But he just chuckled and put another spoonful into his mouth to calm himself down. "Just call me Kyuhyun, or just Kyu"

Sungmin smile. "And just call me Sungmin, or just Min"

"But you are my senior. I shouldn't be disrespectfull" Kyuhyun said, hoping that Sungmin would just brush it aside.

"Nah, don't think it that way. We can be friends, right?" Sungmin smile, while looking at him. To Sungmin, Kyuhyun was the most handsome guy he ever saw! During the orientation day, his eyes kept going back to this guy but he has to be diplomatic and carry his duty well. And when this guy started asking questions, ohmygod! His voice! It sounds so lovely and romantic!

"Of course, if you accept me as your friend, I'll be the most happiest guy!" Kyuhyun smile honestly. To hide his happiness, he asked about the Library instead "Oh, talking about the Library, do you ever come across this book 'Shaping The Future of ICT'? I've been trying to get hold of that book but it's always out". 

"Oh yeah, a student reserve it and collected it yesterday. You need it too? I can reserve it for you. Give me your number, I text you when it's available to reserve" Sungmin put down his chopstick and held out his hand. He has beautiful hands, though on a chubby side, but beautiful, nonetheless. 

Kyuhyun passed his phone. Ohmygod, he would have Sungmin's number!! He couldn't believe it!!! Sungmin dial his number and let it has a miss call, and passed back Kyuhyun's phone. He saved Kyuhyun's number and said "I remember our library has 3 copies, but all 3 were always out. Is it a reference book for one of your subjects?" 

Kyuhyun saved Sungmin's number as well, with a slight shivering of  fingers because he was too happy,  and said "Yes, it's a reference book for our module 'Trends in Information Technology, Communications Engineering, and Management'. I was contemplating of just buying a copy, but it's a 938 pages, and cost  Won 191,000, so surely I cannot afford it. I will just wait for it to be available in our library then".

"Ok, I'll reserve for you. How's your course so far?" 

"It's interesting. Information and Communication Technology Engineering is about the impact it has on our society. It has been the branch of  Engineering  that humans have used all through the evolution process for being the most advanced creature on the Earth, and if the engineer knows what the information is and how is that stored, he might end up with a superior way of communicating the information, and how to make it accessible to the intended users. To say it simply, it's how we can improve to communicate in a digital way".

"Wow.... Amazing.." 

"And I love structured and object oriented languages, algorithms, cryptography... so I really enjoy this course" 

"You love algorithms?" Sungmin looked at him with disbelief. "So you are good at arithmetic?" and when Kyuhyun smilingly nodded, Sungmin continued "I have this arithmetic problem which I cannot decipher, and I don't know who I can ask... can I show it to you? It's a 3rd year syllabus, sorry, but I hope I can get some light at the end my dark tunnel" Sungmin said and chuckled when Kyuhyun laughed. 

"You have arithmetic module too, in Liberal Arts?" 

Sungmin pushed aside his nearly-finished food and took out a stack of papers from his haversack "Yeah, in fact, grammar, logic, and rhetoric were the core liberal arts, referred to as the trivium, while arithmetic, geometry, the theory of music, and  astronomy were the following stage of Liberal arts education, referred to as the quadrivium. I always stuck in arithmetic, and now I found a genius!" Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun happily. 

Kyuhyun laughed "I'm not a genius, but I let me take a look at your arithmetic problem" he said, pushing aside his finished bowl of  noodle. He was glad that they are at ease with each other. He scribbled a few lines and looked up at Sungmin, he said happily "a = 52" 

"Huh... how did you manage to get that??" Sungmin looked at him bewilderedly. This guy is really a maths genius!! Sungmin thought. 

"Come nearer, I'll explain to you" Kyuhyun said subconsciously. Only when Sungmin slides nearer, he realised what he had just said. Lee Sungmin is just next to him!!!! He felt like putting his arm around Sungmin's shoulder!

Kyuhyun, with both arms firmly on the cafeteria table, started explaining to him the sequence and how to determine the constant number. Sungmin suddenly saw a whole new understanding of arithmetic! Kyuhyun's explanation was not only clear, but very logical! Shame on him that a freshman knows better than a 3rd year student!! 

"Ohmygod, Kyuhyun, I think you can teach better than my professor!! Thank you!!" 

Kyuhyun chuckled "You are welcome!" 

"Can we have regular meet up sessions? I mean it can be on anything, we can even just lunch together" Sungmin said. He was hoping that Kyuhyun would say "yes", because, ermmmm, he kind of like Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun couldn't belief what he just heard. His heart just went dead. His crush, Lee Sungmin, wanted to meet regularly??!!! OhmyGod!! "Of course" he simply said to hide his happiness. 

"Great! We text each other our schedule, so that we can gauge if our free time clash so that we can meet up?" Sungmin raised his beautiful eyebrows seeking confirmation from Kyuhyun. 

"I text you on my way to my lecture. See you Sungmin" Kyuhyun said, smiling, and getting up to get ready for his lecture. He carried both his bowl and Sungmin's plate to put on the returned utensils area. 

"Thanks, Kyu. See you" Sungmin waved at him and hurried off to his lecture theatre at the other way. Even his back view is beautiful to Kyuhyun!! 

It was dark when Kyuhyun walked back home, passing along Gwanghwamun. He received a text from Sungmin "We meet tomorrow at 2pm? I should finish my library duty shift by then and we can go for lunch. I reserved your book already by the way!" 

Kyuhyun grinned happily "Thank you! I'll come by the library and we can go together from there. See you tomorrow, Sungmin!"

And Gwanghwamun gate seemed to be so beautiful as he walked pass...