Chapter IV

Of Spirits and Other Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter IV

 

Jin Ae woke up fairly well rested despite the initial trouble of going back to sleep. She was currently in her first class trying to concentrate to what the teacher was saying but she always had a habit of checking her surroundings first. This was when her power was most useful for her. Reading minds wasn't an active power but it definitely has its perks. Orphaned at the age of 5, reading people's minds was probably the only reason she was able to stay out of trouble for so long and survive, alas it was at the cost of her innocence. No one hides their own thoughts from themselves. She scanned the classroom, it was a medium sized class, a little less than 100 but definitely more than 50. A few were dozing off, but she couldn't blame them since this was 1st period and she really treasured her sleep as well. She sighed as she realized if she really wanted to study then she would just have to quickly get an initial reading of her classmates. She looked around and focused on the girls in the front first.

Attendance is 20%, and we already have a group assignment- ahhhh it's only the first week of school!!!

Protect the trees, wildlife, isn’t this obvious… that guy is cute. Next class I’m definitely sitting next to him.

Should I wear the black mini dress? No.. that’s too ty. Simple tee and shirt… too casual. 6 more hours until the date and I’m already freaking out-

Okay. Moving on, even if they were hunters obviously they have their minds preoccupied. Jin Ae continued to do this scanning through the multiple people’s minds for a split second, most actually focused on class, others already making plans for the weekend and some just humming songs in there head. A few memorable ones that kept her entertained for a little more than a few seconds like-

Okay, I’m in deep - how do I ask my parents I already spent my monthly allowance. Thoughts like these Jin Ae couldn’t relate to but knew this topic wasn’t a new one for many students.

Should I just use my phone? They said this professor was strict with using them during class but I can’t even focus- kkkk I need help. I don’t how to face Jae after last night- just use your phone- but what if Professor sees and makes me read it to the class ‘Uhm I’m sorry Professor it’s just last night my boyfriend tried to choke me out during and grabbed my double chin instead and I sounded like a dying turkey’. Jin Aw started laughing behind her hands the same time the poor girl in the back banged her head down on the table. ‘We’ll that’s a new one isn’t it’ Jin Ae was torn between laughing and going up to the girl and comforting her.

She was also able to pick up on the few classmates that were supernaturals like her or at least had a good association with them. The boy with long hair dyed blonde was apparently in love with a mermaid. The one staring out the window in the back was a werewolf she guessed; his thoughts were always counting down the days before the full moon coming soon. As far as she could tell, at least in this class there seems to be no signs of hunters. She’d have to go through this a couple of times today but these precautions always proved helpful before and she’s not about to stop. She always felt a little guilty because it was more than a little intrusive but it’s become a habit.

“Alright class, we have about 20 minutes left until the period is over- until then, please gather with your assigned groups and discuss your plans. This will be the only time allocated during class.”

The students all slowly got up sitting at their assigned group number. 12. JinAe was in group 12, and as she trudged past the rows of tables up towards the back she bit back a laugh threatening to slip out seeing her group mates.

“Hi, my name is Soojin.” Girl that was choked.

“Jinyoung.” Possible werewolf.

“Hyunji.” Guy that could only think of food.

’Greeaaaattt. I’m stuck with the people that wasn’t even listening to the professor’ Jin Ae thought. Really neither was she but she had her reasons she excused.

“Hi. I’m Ha Jin Ae. Let’s work well together.” Jin Ae slightly bowed and avoided clear eye contact with the girl.

“So in regards to the project, it’s not due for a couple of weeks so how about we just do our own research first and next weekend we can meet up to discuss further?” Jinyoung suggested first.

“Actually that sounds great, so if that’s all I actually kind of have something else to take care of.” Soojin fidgeted in her seats looking back and forth between her new group mates.

“Why? Jaebum and you didn’t see each other enough yesterday?” Jinyoung smirked back at her. Jin Ae stared at Jinyoung in bewilderment but understood immediately that these two were acquaintances.

‘Alpha might kill me for teasing her but it’s so funny to see how she’s fidgeting’

Soojin blushed and hit Jinyoung softly on the shoulder and grabbed her bag. Bowing to Hyunji and Jin Ae she muttered a quick “See you next class” and strode off.

“Where are you going Soo-ya, let’s go together”

Jin Ae bit her lips before she softly raised her fists in the air and said “Good luck!” Just loud enough for Soojin and Jinyoung to hear. Jinyoung gave her a weird glance before running after Soojin.

“So..looks like we can leave right?” Even though he asked, Hyunji was already up and walking towards the door.

Jin Ae sighed but nodded, grabbing her things and deciding she’ll check out the cafes around campus. She knew today she only had this class so she took her time walking around. The campus truly was beautiful. When she chose this campus, she had had mixed feelings. On one hand, this is a major university for someone in her field, there was just something in her telling her that she this was the right place for her but on the other the university had advertised how welcoming they were with statistics of the international, domestic and super-beings statistics. It would make her be at ease with other super-beings but she also knew they were was a higher chance of a Hunter hiding as a student too.

“Oh. Hey, Jin Ae right? Where are you going?” An annoyingly familiar voice sounded next to her. Jin Ae turned to see the puppy faced brunette smiling down at her.

“Hey, Baekhyun right?”

“Wow. She remembered me, of course I am quite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter