Chapter III

Of Spirits and Other Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The world was strange. They had accepted the existence of supernatural beings and after The Hunt was over humans were quick to start accepting and supernatural beings were just as quick to start adjusting to society, after all, they weren't the ones asked to be born the way they were. This was who they were. Humans were born humans and supernatural beings were born as supernatural. Supernatural beings had adjusted well, even taking most of the high positions in sports, military, sciences to help improve their perspective countries, and it almost seemed like their 'extra talents' just became another positive point in a person's CV. Jin Ae never agreed with this notion. Peace. She knew there was always tension and she anxiously waited everyday for the tipping point. There was discrimination between just humans themselves before the existence of super-beings were enlightened to the rest of the world so it only makes sense that not everyone can accept someone so different. Jealousy and envy rooting their hatred towards super-beings that just seemed the have it easier than everyone else. So, no, if anyone were to ask Jin Ae, she would tell them in a well-practiced naive voice that society has come a long way and that we are finally at peace between humans and supernaturals but only a select few knew that she hid everyday because she's waiting for history repeat herself and another Hunting season to start. Supernatural beings only took up about 10% of the whole population and she knew without a doubt, if humans tried hard enough- they could off every single super being until there are none left. Maybe Jin Ae was a little biased with her opinion though.

The Hunt lasted 10 years, 3 years after the existence of supernatural beings were revealed to the world. That was almost a century ago, and Spirits were the first super beings to be targeted, for the peaceful nature and that they were notoriously sought out by other super-beings and hailed as the respectable teachers. They were almost wiped out completely before The Hunt ended and only a few tribes in Korea existed by the time Jin Ae was born. She wasn't born a pessimist. She wasn't born scared. But when her tribe was attacked with her and Haeyong being the sole survivors, she grew up fast. Way too fast for this world. So she grew up hiding her true identity, her Spirit, even now because no matter how scared and evil humans thought she and other supernaturals were, she thought humans were the cruelest of them all.

After a peaceful bus ride, 10 minutes of walking and then 10 minutes of wandering around cluelessly Jin Ae was finally able to reach her new home. It was obvious it hasn’t had a residence in years but it was far from the city noise and she had a spacious backyard- aka the whole forest. She looked inside the rusty mailbox in front of the house and smiled finding the keys. Walking into the house her nose was attacked with various odors, oak, greens and something akin to rotting. She scrunched her nose in displeasure as she put her bags down and rolled out her shoulders finally able to stretch out the aches from her heavy bags. The house was already furnished- another reason she was quick to take it. The whole house was quite nice after some renovations; it was big, had 3 bedrooms, a bathroom on both floors and a wide kitchen. Jin Ae loved to cook, even more to bake so the kitchen was an important part of her daily life. It was bigger than any she would have gotten if she lived in the main parts of the city and the living room was just the right size. She decided to unpack later and instead decide which room would be hers. As she looked around the rooms, most had the basic furnishings of a bed, bedside tables and large drawers and closet; each were fairly similar in size so Jin Ae picked the one with the window overlooking the forests. As much as she tried to hide her Spirit nature, the earth called her and she couldn’t deny it. Sitting down she finally whipped out her phone and dialed the number she could say by heart.

“Finally! I thought your plane crashed or something!” Jin Ae snorted as her face automatically lit up at the voice of her best friend.

“H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter