Fight or Flight

Lost and Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Stupid cat!"

Soah winced as she was flung to the ground, hissing as her already bruised hip made contact with the polished wood floor. She gritted her teeth with fearful anger, furry ears tight against her scalp as she watched her master stride to the opposite end of the room. 

He was in a bad mood today. Well, he always was, but today was particularly bad. She studied him warily as he examined his newly ruined suit, one that was tailored to perfection and no doubt cost more than she'd ever see in her life. Hah. As if she would ever be allowed to own so much as a cent. Such was the life of a hybrid.

She'd been serving him tea, as per his request, despite knowing full well she was in no condition to even be out of bed. It was simply too much for her haggard body, usually so strong and resilient but beaten down to shreds over time, and she'd lost all strength just as she'd been handing him his cup.

It wasn't as if she felt sorry for it, he deserved the scalding water for every injustice he'd ever paid her, but she knew she'd bear the full weight of his anger sooner or later. Who knows, maybe it would be the last straw and her abused body would simply refuse to get up ever again. She almost wished it were so.

"Get that blasted cat out of my sight! And bring me my other suit immediately! I'll deal with you when I get back, Freak." He glowered at her as his secretary rushed to his bidding, ushering the maids to see to Soah.

Leaning heavily on the girl's arms, she was painfully brought to her feet and led out of the room, closing her well-practiced ears to the barbs he flung behind her.

Ω

"He's gone! Hurry Soah, wake up! The master's gone for the evening, he won't be back till tomorrow morning!"

Soah groaned, pain shooting through her shoulder where Luna, her only companion in the entire household, was shaking her to wake her up. Though it had taken some time after the incident with the tea, she had indeed paid for her crime. They were currently in Gangnam, South Korea for one his business trips, though that hadn't stopped him from delivering a beating to her en route. She'd been doing her best to rest up since they'd arrived, knowing she'd need her energy for the night ahead. It was time for her escape.

"I'm up, Luna, I'm up!" She hissed, not wanting to alert anyone that might overhear their conversation. Not that it was likely, as she was currently in the cellar, his preferred place for her living quarters regardless of their location. Still, the kitchen was directly above them, and the chef her master employed to follow him had a known distaste for hybrids.

Biting back a growl of pain, Soah rolled into a crouched position, moving to the far corner of the cellar where a hidden exit lay. She'd found it on their last trip to Gangnam, and she found herself thankful that her master was a creature of habit and always rented the same palatial house. With Luna's help, she shuffled the crates of potatoes and radishes to the side, lifted the burlap flap which covered the small door, and used what strength she had to break off the rusted lock.

"Be careful Soah," Luna cried, tears falling from her lovely honey eyes. "I'll pray for your safety."

Soah felt her own tears itch to be released but held them back out of habit. Luna, the sweetest Labrador hybrid in existence, had been her friend since she'd been purchased five years ago. She would have never survived without her friend, who worked as a housemaid and was blessedly ignored by their abusive master. 

Grabbing Luna into a tight hug, she whispered her goodbye, and a promise to be careful.

"Take care now, Luna," she breathed mournfully as she wiped away Luna's tears. "I'll miss you forever."

Like that, she grabbed the bag of supplies Luna handed her and dove through the cellar door.

Ω

Two days. Two days of paranoia. Two days of no sleep, no food, no shelter. Only two days and yet Soah was beginning to lose hope. Heck, she was beginning to lose her life.

She stumbled, not for the first time, as she edged along some back streets in a residential area. It was getting darker by the moment, but she still tugged her hood down over her head and waist, terrified of someone noticing the bumps that were her ears and tail. She'd come back here in search of a place to sleep, not she would, or food, which she could use. She'd long since made use of the sandwich and apple Luna had packed for her. Somehow they hadn't though freedom would entail starvation. Funny really. Ironic but somehow fitting.

As hunger and fear gripped her like coiling constrictor, as a ray of hope suddenly caught her attention.

"Miss!" A voice whisper-yelled. 

She flinched and followed the sound to its source, a young woman leaning out her back door.

"Miss! Come here!" The girl waved her over while making sure there was no-one nearby.

It was sketchy, sure, but Soah was desperate for food, and maybe the girl would give her some. So she walked over warily, sniffing the air with caution for any warning scents. There was nothing but the faint smell of peaches, though where it came from she couldn't tell. Her stomach grumbled loudly at the thought of food.

"You must be hungry," the girl said with a grin. Evidently, she'd heard the embarrassing sound. "Don't worry, I have some food for you. You look like you need it. I saw you from my room." She pointed towards a window above them, but Soah maintained her eye-lock with the stranger. 

"Come on."

The girl whirled into the dark entry-way, the smell of peaches growing stronger in her wake. Peaches...she practically drooled as she followed the girl inside. It was dark inside, only her cat vision making it possible for her to make her way in. She followed the sound of the girl's footsteps past what looked like a laundry room, down a hallway, and into the kitchen. The smell of peaches had strengthened to an overwhelming extent, and it was without any hesitation that she stepped over the threshold.

"Gotcha!"

Thud.

Ω

"Carissa! Hey, wait up!" Namjoon yelled eagerly ahead of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter