Baby Steps

Lost and Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soah's emerging caused quite the hubbub. 

She somehow managed to sleep through the majority of the others' shock and excitement when they eventually made their way downstairs, unknowingly under the guardianship of the great Min Yoongi. 

"I wanna see her face!" A pouty Taehyung muttered with a desperate look in his eyes.

"Stay away, Poodle. Can't you see she's asleep? Hoseok, keep your voice down."

And so it went.

They were all amazed by the sudden change, but the only one who knew the circumstances of her decision wasn't saying anything. It was only after Taehyung and J-hope left for their respective jobs that she finally woke up.

Jin was the first to notice, glancing over from where he'd been refereeing Namjoon and Jungkook's bowling match on the Wii. She hadn't moved save for peeking her eyes above the blanket she had swathed herself in and was glaring menacingly from. His heart skipped a beat, terrified for an instant that she would act on the bloody murder emanating from her amber eyes. It was only an instant though before his caregiving nature kicked in and he was bouncing to his feet, drawing her attention to himself. 

"You're awake." He called gently, but enthusiastically. "Have a good rest?"

She didn't answer, though this didn't deter him. He ruffled Kookie's hair on his way to the kitchen, calling out his intention of making breakfast over his shoulder and leaving her to the inquiring stares of the rest.

Jungkook was eyeing her warily, not yet over his initial meeting with the hybrid. Of course, he understood her reasons for being mistrustful towards humans, but there was just something about being nearly clawed to death that put one's defenses up. 

Namjoon was watching her with equal intensity, though with something akin to devotion. His eyes were practically beaming with great big hearts like in cartoons. It was an odd response to the interactions they'd shared so far, but anyone watching could tell the boy was whipped.

Yoongi was the only one not watching her, more interested in his friends' responses than the hybrid, and what he saw had him rolling his eyes. He sighed, breaking the awkward silence as their eyes all shot to him.

"Well, I'm going to bed. Tell Jin I'm going upstairs and he can't stop me this time." And with that, he flung away his blanket and yawned his way to the stairs, his job as watchdog officially over. 

As soon as his figure retreated from sight, Soah's eyes darted back to the boys, as if expecting them to have snuck up on her in ambush despite the ear trained on them that said otherwise. The boys shrank under her stare, though Namjoon started to flush slightly pink under her gaze.

"Um," Jungkook started shyly, drawing her attention. "do you want to play?" He offered the remote in his hand, eyes flicking to the tv screen. 

She stared at him as if he'd spoken in another tongue. 

"Guess not." He muttered after a moment, at a loss as to how to engage the girl. He wasn't great with females on the best of days, avoiding them for the most part at school, but now he was especially unsure of what to do. He wanted her to be comfortable around them to be better able to recover from whatever trauma she'd been through, but it would probably end up being a lot more difficult than he thought. 

"C'mon Hyung, your turn." He nudged Namjoon, thinking that perhaps it was best to let her get accustomed to them in peace. 

"Huh? Oh, yeah." Joon turned reluctantly away from her, and they resumed their game.

Soah released a silent breath of relief, her panic easing when their attention finally left her. Despite leaving the safety of the bathroom, she was far from trusting these humans. Now that they weren't focusing their attention on her, she felt that she was at least moderately safe. She glanced to the side where the crazy man had been sitting. Making sure the other's weren't looking, she slipped her arm out of the safety of her blanket and snatched the blanket he'd left behind.

She wrinkled her nose at first at the scent. Not that it was unpleasant, smelling faintly of men's perfume and his distinct scent, but she tended to be picky when it came to new smells. Despite this, she wrapped it around her and the blanket already covering her, shifting her limbs until she had created the perfect enclosure around herself. It was deliciously warm and comfortable and she ducked her head into her little nest, releasing a delighted smile.

Namjoon was only halfheartedly focused on the bowling match, letting Jungkook get the upper hand. Not that he wouldn't have won anyway. Honestly, he wondered why even played against the maknae, given that it was an exercise in futility. As Jungkook made yet another strike, he couldn't help but look back at the source of his distraction. What he saw was so cute it made him want to barf magic and rainbows. Soah was cuddled under a pile of blankets, only her ears peaking out as they had this morning, all fluffy and twitching at every noise. The pile was vibrating slightly, and if he concentrated he could make out the gentle sound of purring. 

Shoot me.

-

The day passed fairly uneventfully, Jin coaxing Soah out of her happy little nest for food, attempting with no success to talk with the reclusive hybrid, until eventually the rest of the gang returned. 

Hobi was on her the moment he got back, all smiles and meaningless chatter as she hid behind a mug of tea. 

"Stop it already, Hyung," Taehyung called from his spot on the comfy armchair near her couch. "I don't think she's ready for your enthusiasm just yet."

Hoseok pouted and plopped himself down at the foot of the couch, causing her to lean outside her nest to see what he was doing. 

"But I want to play!" He absentmindedly played with the hem of her blanket, to which she let out a menacing hiss.

He responded appropriately, eyes doubling in size before squealing and jumping comically a few feet backward. Soah snickered into her blankets, amused by the reactions this gangly man gave her. It was oddly satisfying.

"Aigoo," he whined cutely with a shudder, "I got it, I got it. Don't touch the scary cat's blankets, sheesh." 

"Serves you right Hyung," Jimin grinned as he entered the room. He was carrying the first-aid kit, and Soah shivered under her blankets at the realization of what it meant. 

"Hey, it's okay." Jimin crouched down in front of her, cautiously setting a palm on her blanket-covered knee. 

"Not fair," Hoseok muttered. 

"I just want to see if you're ok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter