A Master and a Boss

Lost and Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The "Master" did not feel quite so like a master at this moment. 

He was sweating profusely, partly a result of the overwhelming heat generated by the mass of seething bodies grinding and writhing against each other all around him. A couple, moans loud even amidst the clamour, all but fell into his path in their fervent worship of both each other and the atmosphere. He pushed through them, eyes solely on his guide who led him through the foray, trying not to think of the tall, muscular man who followed closely behind. In an effort to distract himself, he forced his eyes to take in the sight of the night club he had had no choice but to enter.

Music boomed from the speakers, loud enough that the reverberation could quite literally be felt in the air around him, inside him, matching the heavy beating of his heart. The DJ yelled something over the noise, eliciting a cheer from the club's occupants but which was lost on him. The club was new, stylishly decorated in a way that screamed money yet with elegant taste. Golden framed art pieces from the Renaissance dressed the walls while beautifully carved statuettes mimicking those of the Greek masters watched over the club and its occupants from neon-lighted alcoves. Though a bit vampiric in flavor, it meshed creatively with the more modern pop art and sharp-edged furniture that could be seen on the outskirts of the dance floor. It was to his taste, a place he would have enjoyed coming to under any other circumstances, but which he now wished he was anywhere but.

Glancing up, he could just see a bit of movement from behind the tinted glass that separated the VIP lounge from the common folk. He was led towards it, brought to a stairway in the back of the club and urged upwards, reluctantly ascending to his doom. 

The VIP lounge was decorated in much the same fashion as the rest of the club, save that the decor as impossibly more expensive in appearance. A shudder wracked through him at the reminder of the sheer power and wealth of the man he was to stand before. 

"Ah, Hojun-ssi, come here, come here!"

A cheerful, nasal voice cut through the noise and Hojun started. His eyes darted to a figure shrouded in shadows where he sat in a throne-like chair, pressing kisses into the neck of the simpering woman on his lap. The figure lifted his head and whispered into the woman's ear, something that made her pout but nevertheless move off the man's lap, a light swat to her backside to hurry her along. 

"Don't make me repeat myself, Hojun-ssi."

The voice was still genial, kind even, but held a note of threat to those wise enough to pick up on it. Hojun released a shuddering breath and attempted to collect himself before approaching, his head bowed respectfully and his shoulders straining from his effort to keep them straight. 

"Hyungnim," he greeted reverently with a deep bow, his eyes latching onto his spendy leather shoes as he regretted his life choices.

The man shifted forward in his seat, a wolfish grin showing itself as the neon lights of the lounge fell upon him, his teeth and the whites of his eyes glinting iridescent under the light.

"Always so polite, Hojun-ssi. I like that in my men. You are my man," he paused, a theatrical expression of confused curiosity on his face, "aren't you?"

"Of course, Hyungnim," Hojun rushed out in a panicked voice, bowing lower even as he wished to meet the man's eyes and assure him of his loyalty. "To death, Sir."

"To death," the man mused with  sigh, sitting back comfortably in his chair as he waved Hojun to a seat before him. He took it, though he was not nearly as comfortable as his boss, barely settling on the very edge of his seat. 

"It may well be to your death, Hojun-ssi." He said this with an almost believable tone of concern. "I haven't been getting results from you, not like I always believed I could depend on you for. What happens if you keep failing me like this Hojun-ssi? I couldn't bear to see something happen to you."

"Forgive me, Hyungnim," all attempts at maintaining his dignity collapsed in his fear as he fell to his knees before his leader's chair, hands rubbing together in appeal to his master. "I will not fail you again! I'll find the hybrid, I swear! Even now my best hunters are scouring the streets for her. It won't be long, I swear it!"

"I want to believe you, Hojun-ssi, I really do. But you know I've heard nothing but empty promises from you since the beginning of this little fiasco. Perhaps your usefulness has run its course?"

"No Sir, never! I'll find her, I will!" He all but shouted, now fully prostrating himself before the man that held his life in his hands, sobs wracking his body in his terror.

"Now now Hojun-ssi, get up man. That's all I wanted to hear." His boss's hand reached down and gently urged him up, tilting his head to meet his eyes as he shook on his knees. "Stop your crying, it'll be all right. No need to panic." 

Hojun nodded, tears still dripping down his face as he attempted to stabilize his breathing. His boss looked down at him compassionately and he sighed with relief, taking comfort in the understanding he chose to believe was there. 

"Good. Now stand up and have my friend over there pour you a drink. Looks like you could use one," he chuckled, a slight bite to his otherwise consoling words. 

The Boss, or Hyungnim as he was called by his dongsaengs, watched the appeased man stumble to his feet and stagger away, disgust and satisfaction rising within him equally at the sight. What a fool the man was. It had felt good to put that sadistic bastard in his place. Even as the king of the Korean underground, he didn't take pleasure in breaking the spirits of those who couldn't defend themselves properly. It was far more entertaining to tear down those who thought themselves a match for him. Men like Hojun were the reason he had striven his way to the top of this hellbound ladder. Still, he was no saint. He kept men like Hojun in his service for a reason. 

"All done?" A sultry voice broke him from his train of thought.

He grinned, relaxing as the pretty thing from earlier eased into his lap once more, her arms rising to twine around his neck.

"The question is, are you done?" She paused her movements, deceivingly innocent eyes wide as her brow furrowed in question.

He smirked. "Don't think I don't know how you kept yourself busy without me."

He landed his eyes on his best friend and fellow mob boss at the bar who had a blissed-out expression on his face. "Were you good for him, hmm?"

"So good." She fell into him, an unapologetic glint in her gorgeous eyes as her facade fell away. Well, not away perhaps, but into another. "But not as good as I'll be for you, Oppa."

He laughed uproariously, several eyes turning their way before just as quickly pretending not to have heard anything. 

"Little minx."

They were silent for a moment save for the sound of making its way along his neck and jawline and the pounding electric beat of the club's music. He could all but feel the energy ricocheting through the air and buzzing him just as much as the alcohol in his blood. 

"How are things with that new toy of yours? What was his name, Hanso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter