× 狩人の酒場

君は × ハンター
everything you need to know as a hunter
hunter license
one
ルヌラ ミッドナイト
LUNULA MIDNIHT
"you never know what
lurks in the shadows."
× × ×
exam number passed: ???
aura type: ???
two
???
???
""
× × ×
exam number passed: ???
aura type: ???
three
???
???
""
× × ×
exam number passed: ???
aura type: ???
four
???
???
""
× × ×
exam number passed: ???
aura type: ???
five
ゴン゠フリークス
GON FREECSS
"i'm glad i could be here with you ... no. that's not all. i'm really glad i met you!"
× × ×
exam number passed: 287
aura type: enhancement
six
クラピカ
KURAPIKA
"my own pride is nothing compared to my kinsmen's suffering."
× × ×
exam number passed: 287
aura type: conjuration (specialization)
seven
レオリオ゠パラディナイト
LEORIO PALADIKNIGHT
"everything's got a price — human life, human hearts, even dreams!! There's nothing that isn't for sale!"
× × ×
exam number passed: 287
aura type: emission
eight
ヒソカ゠モロウ
HISOKA MOROW
"my greatest pleasure comes when such people crumple to their knees, and i look down upon their disbelieving faces as their plans fail. ♥"
× × ×
exam number passed: 287
aura type: transmission
nine
キルア゠ゾルディック
KILLUA ZOLDYCK
"i'm so tired of killing...i just want to be a kid. hanging out, doing stuff with gon. that's it."
× × ×
exam number passed: 288
aura type: transmission
the world
the known world, which is the world humans live on and have explored so far, is comprised of six continents and one giant ocean. there are currently 250 countries and over 200 languages in it.
known world map
due to the sheer volume of languages, a common language is spoken by nearly every country. note that this statement depends on the literacy and the level of exposure to other cultures within the country / area. (the common language is, in essence, japanese but with a unique writing system that corresponds to kana — katakana and hiragana.)
common language alphabet
amongst the many nations, there exists the 5 modern nation leaders (or v5 for short) who act as the main world leaders. in it, leaders from the five most large and powerful countries in the known world — the united states of saherta, the federation of ochima, the mimbo republic, the kukan'yu kingdom, and the begerosse union. the v5 come together when debating and making decisions that involve all of humanity.
v6 countries
in contrast to the civilization and technology of most countries, meteor city is a junkyard city that is the dumping ground for other countries. not much is known about it other than the fact that apparently people do live there though their residents do not exist in any nations' databases. several incidents have seared this message from meteor city inhabitants in people's hearts: "we'll accept anything that you leave here, but don't ever take anything from us."
hunter x hunter meteor city
the main form of currency is the jeni (J). (for the author's ease's sake, 100 J is about 1 USD.) jeni, also spelled as jenny, come in coin and paper forms.
dark continent
beyond the known world - as the six continents are so-called - is the dark continent. in reality, the known world is a series of islands within a larger lake known as lake mobius - rather than continents in an ocean. it is said that the ancestors of humans moved from the dark continent to the current known world. ancient texts claim humanity's exploration of the dark continent causes disasters. as a result, the v5 have created the inviolability treaty, which forbid voyages to the dark continent.
(more information / locations about the world of hunter x hunter here.)
the hunter association & hunters
the hunter association (or h.a.) is a non-governmental organization that is responsible for testing and licensing hunters. there are four main roles: the chairman or chief executive, the vice-chairman, staff advisors, and the hunters. each have their own duties.
hunter association logo
hunters are individuals devoted to tracking down rare and priceless things. such pursuits are marked by a special hunter license after passing a rigorous and deadly exam. the pass rate is said to be less than one in a hundred thousand. the exam hall and the exam stages change every year. as it is impossible to reach without legitimate guidance, an applicant needs a navigator to show the correct path to even make it to the hall.
navigator page (chapter 04)
as a hunter, the hunter license, which is impossible to forge, comes with many benefits; of those widely and publicly known:
× 95% of all public facilities can be used at no cost. furthermore, all such services are provided at first class.
× unrivaled freedom to travel around the world. access is granted to about 90% of countries which normally restrict the entry of outsiders, and access to 75% of areas that the general public is prohibited from entering.
× almost no legal responsibility for murder.
× the ability to sell the hunter license as a valuable collector's item. though only the original owner of a hunter license can take advantage of the normal benefits, it can be still sold for enough money to support the seller for at least 7 generations in luxury.
× the ability to use the license as collateral for a zero-interest loan of 100 million J at any bank.
× access to the secret hunters-only website, where secret intelligence about various subjects, uploaded by other hunters, can be purchased. this site is known as the hunters' tavern but may also be called the hunters' website.
due to the license's value, licenses are common targets of theft. 1 in 5 new hunters will lose their licenses whether through just thievery or actual death.
hunter license
as a licensed hunter, hunters and all others of the hunter association must follow the hunter bylaws:
1. hunters must always be on the hunt for something.
2. hunters must have a minimum understanding of martial arts. this includes learning nen.
3. once a hunter is licensed, that license cannot be revoked for whatever reason. however, a license will not be reissued for whatever reason.
4. hunters shall not target other hunters unless they have committed heinous crimes.
5. one star is given to a hunter who produces remarkable achievements in a particular field.
6. two stars are given to a hunter who fulfills five articles, holds an official position, and has mentored a junior hunter who is awarded a star.
7. three stars are given to a hunter who fulfills the six articles and produces remarkable accomplishments in multiple fields.
8. the chief executive of the hunter association must earn the confidence of a majority of his colleagues. when the position of chairman is vacated, the vote to elect the next chairman must be conducted at once and deputy power is given to the vice-chairman in the meantime.
9. the authority to decide on a method to select new members is given to the chairman. however, to significantly change existing methods requires the confidence of a majority of colleagues.
10. any matter not mentioned here will be decided in a cabinet consisting of the chairman, vice-chairman and staff advisors. the chairman has the authority to select the vice-chairman and staff.
the current chairman of the hunter association is isaac netero, and the current vice-chairman is pariston hill.
isaac netero and pariston hill
in addition to these bylaws, hunters have a field of specialization. a hunter without one is still considered / called a rookie.
(more information about h.a. and hunters can be found here.)
nen
nen is a technique unknown to most of the public where a living being uses and manipulates their life energy known as aura. aura exists in all living beings, flowing out from points of their body called aura nodes. the control of aura nodes is the first step to using nen. as aura carries the desires and emotions of the user, nen is incredibly versatile but sensitive. those who can use nen are called nen users while those who cannot are called non-users. note that nen is a secret requirement of being a hunter; without it, an individual, even with a license, is not considered a hunter.
nen and aura
students of nen usually slowly train to control their nodes, but there is also a trial by fire where all nodes are opened at once. it can cause harm if the opener has any malicious intent, and if the student is unable to close them, they can die. thus, it is frowned upon and near taboo. individuals who discover nen without a teacher are those who the public deem "geniuses" or "psychics" or even "superhumans," depending on their nen abilities. most of the time, these people are unable to see aura but can use their aura to perform amazing feats.
visual guide to nen techniques
to fully grasp nen, users must first learn the four major principles; from there, the four techniques can be combined and modified in various ways to perform other techniques. the four major principles are:
× ten: contain the aura that is leaking away from the body
× zetsu: stop the flow of aura from the body, closing all nodes
× ren: output a large amount of aura
× hatsu: a user's personal expression of nen (elaborated below)
more advanced techniques include:
× gyo: focusing most of the aura in one body part
× in: make aura imperceptible
× en: create a sphere of aura around a user to sense things within it
× shu: encase an object with aura
× ko: concentrate all aura into one body part
× ken: maintain ren for prolonged periods of time for defensive purposes
× ryu: allocate different percentages of aura to different parts of the body
note that the user's ability with the advanced techniques is based on their mastery of the basics and that it is much more common for users to prefer / master certain techniques over others.
nen type chart
there are six different aura types. after learning of their type, users must apply the technique in a way that suits their personality. it is possible to learn from the other categories, but the user's original nen type affects the learnability of other types. the six types of nen are as follows:
× enhancement: strengthens self or object(s); most balanced between offense and defense with the potential for healing abilities
× tranation: change quality to match something else, including the user's aura to be something else; can be mistaken as conjuration but not limited to solid matter and can take on certain properties rather than all properties of an object
× conjuration: create object(s) from aura; like manipulation, tend to be specific, complex, and conditional
× emission: detach aura from body with minimal loss of aura intensity; used mostly for long-range attacks or effects
× manipulation: control animate and / or inanimate objects / people / etc; pour the most aura into objects and, as such, generally have the largest capacity
× specialization: unique effect; the most vague nen type with the widest range of effects
note that combinations can be made between the different types to create a larger repertoire of abilities for a user.
basic nen types
a user's aura type can be found quickly based on water divination in which users channel their aura into a cup full of water with a leaf on top. the effect of the user's aura shows the user's aura type; it is:
× enhancer: volume of water changes
× traner: taste of water changes
× conjurer: impurities appear in water
× emitter: color of water changes
× manipulator: leaf moves
× specialist: anything else
other methods exist for determining a user's aura type such as personality tests or reading the nen user's flow of ten. however, none are as accurate nor as simple as the water divination test, making it the go-to for all nen users.
water divination
more factors affect the nen abilities of a user, chief among them — risk, self-imposed restrictions that increase power; the willingness to impose these extra clauses confirms the nen user's resolve and, thus, strengthens nen. one such risk is making vow, promising to use the ability only under certain conditions, which is also known as setting a limitation. breaking this vow comes with the risk of losing the ability itself or the ability to use nen or, to further strengthen the ability, getting a punishment declared at the same time as the vow such as the loss of the user's life. a condition that must be fulfilled to use the power is also one risk, though this is most often seen in powers involving conjuration, manipulation, and specialization. a similar risk is known as an activation requirement, which, as expected, requires something in order to activate. note that other conditions upon abilities can be imposed whether on purpose or unconsciously by the user, such as a pacifist's nen ability being unable to take another person's life.
(more information about nen here.)
hunter × information
welcome to the 285th hunter exam. to begin, every accepted application will attempt to attend the hunter exams. the ones who pass the initial screening process via the navigators and stay alive within the hunter exams will continue their journeys as hunters (aka is chosen for the story), whether that be a title they earn within this exam or a future one. we wish you all the luck in staying alive and, hopefully, becoming a hunter.
here are some of the important terms you'll want to know for being a hunter (aka the application). please note that this is not a comprehensive list. further research is advised to gain a greater understanding of a topic via the hunters' tavern (aka please look at the wikia if you're still confused because i am bad at explanations). have a fruitful hunt.