Last

I Still Do

Moonbyul was finally discharged. She regained her eyesight and Hwasa was ready to take her home. The younger girl was packing Moonbyul’s bag while Moonbyul was staring at her; with a smile on her face. Hwasa has been diligently taking care of her without fail. From the time she was injured and blind due to the accident until she recovered from her therapy, Hwasa stood by her side.

“Why are you smiling at me like that?”

Hwasa finally looked up; she then realized Moonbyul was staring at her with a smile on her face.

“Nothing, you’re beautiful.”

“Geez. Still as greasy as ever.”

“Oh, come on! There’s no one here.”

“EXCUSE ME! I’M STILL IN THE ROOM!”

The two turned to the direction of the voice. They stuck their tongues out. Jung Wheein was staring at them with her hands on her hips. She rolled her eyes.

“Jung Wheein, can you leave the room?”

“So much for being a friend, huh?”

“You’re such a lightbulb.”

“You can return to your apartment and do whatever you want with her. Don’t make me jealous now!”

“Fine, fine.”

Hwasa laughed at her best friend. Wheein had just settled Moonbyul’s discharge papers and returned to the room when she spotted them being intimate. She was thankful that everything ended with good feelings.

She didn’t feel the same for Moonbyul anymore. It was just a spur of a moment and she was confused because she hasn’t seen Moonbyul for the longest time. But when everything had calmed down, Wheein felt nothing but just pure friendship towards Moonbyul.

The one she loves; the one she wants so badly is still Kim Yongsun.

“Are you ready? Can we go now?”

Hwasa nodded and then assisted Moonbyul to the wheelchair. The two best friends then pushed Moonbyul together as they strolled down the hallway. They went up to Dr Park’s room to thank her.

“Hey~”

“Hello Dr Park! Thank you so much for your help.”

“It’s my duty to save lives. And I’m really grateful that you’re getting better now.”

“Nevertheless, thank you.”

Dr Park nodded and then patted gently on Moonbyul’s shoulder. She felt good to see her patient getting better and the best of all, with a gift of a renewed eyesight.

“Take good care of those eyes. They are special.”

“I know. I will. Thank you so much.”

Wheein’s eyes were teary. She understood Moonbyul’s gratitude and she wished she had done more. But it was over now and Wheein knew she had to move on. Hwasa gently gripped Wheein’s left shoulder and squeezed tightly.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.”

“I want to hug you.”

“Your girlfriend is right in front of us.”

“She wouldn’t mind.”

Moonbyul then nodded.

“You can hug Hyejin as much as you want.”

“I think it is the other way around.”

“Just hug her, will you?”

Wheein rolled her eyes but allowed herself to be pulled into Hwasa’s embrace. Her best friend tightly wrapped her arms around Wheein.

“You’re still as warm as ever.”

“I’m alive, Hyejin ah. I’m not dead.”

“You’re such a mood-killer. Can’t you be romantic for once?”

“You’re such a baby. Fine, I’m forever warm, okay?”

Dr Park looked on; amused. She was paying a lot of attention on Wheein lately. She finally could understand why Dr Kim told her Wheein’s such a keeper. She could finally understand why her good friend loves Jung Wheein.

“Okay, that’s enough. We are still in Dr Park’s room.”

“Exactly. Anh Hyejin, enough~”

Hwasa pouted but gave a sheepish smile when her eyes met Dr Park’s. Dr Park chuckled softly before waving her hand.

“It has been a great pleasure to be acquainted with you girls.”

“If you don’t mind, we can meet up for coffee outside of your working hours.”

Moonbyul suggested and Dr Park agreed. The girls said their goodbyes and then made their way out to the hospital lobby. Moonbyul then took a deep breath. She was hospitalised for the last one month and it was suffocating for her. She was just glad that she could move on now.

Hwasa knelt in front her. She cupped Moonbyul’s cheeks gently. Then she smiled widely.

“We’re going home, baby. Congratulations!”

“Thank you for being by my side from day 1 till now. I couldn’t do this without you. And I’m really sorry for breaking your heart before.”

“Forget about the past. We’re stepping into the future now. Let’s just think of that, okay?”

“I’m really thankful that you still chose to be mine.”

-

The operation was 4 hours long. And Hwasa was dying outside the operating theatre. Wheein was crying at the corner; they just found out that the donor’s surname was Kim. At the back of her mind, she wished it wasn’t Dr Kim. It shouldn’t be her. And Wheein was devastated.

“This is my fault.”

Wheein sobbed.  Hwasa held her arms tighter.

“I should have told her that I’m not leaving. I will never leave because I love her. I shouldn’t hesitate and gave her doubts. She only wanted happiness for me and now she’s doing this because she felt that I would be happier with Moonbyul.”

“Wheein ah..”

“I’ll take good care of her.”

“Hm?”

“She’s going to be blind, right? Since she donated her corneas to Moonbyul unnie. Then I’ll find her and look after her.”

“She’s probably not going to show herself to you anymore since she has decided to do this.”

“Then I’ll find her. I’m not letting her go, Hyejin ah. Not anymore.”

“I’ll help you find her, Wheein ah.”

“No, you should stay with Moonbyul unnie.”

Hwasa looked up immediately. Wheein was already smiling at her and then gently caressed Hwasa’s cheek. The two best friends missed these moments together. Wheein used to be soft and gentle towards Hwasa exactly like how she was now.

“I think the one who can look after Moonbyul unnie is you. I know you still love her; your eyes often showed it. And I’m amazed that you’re still staying by her side even though she was desperately looking for me.”

“She wasn’t the only one. I was desperate too.”

“I’m sorry, Hyejin ah.”

“No, it’s my fault. It’s our fault, both Moonbyul unnie and myself. We acknowledged that. We did all those things to hurt you; broke you and then we lost you because we were stupid and foolish. We have been searching for you; looking for you high and low and even checked with the immigration if you had ever left this country. We even thought you could probably use a fake passport to run away from us; or worst still, you committed suicide, and nobody knew about it.”

Hwasa held back her tears. Those moments were terrifying. She was scared to death when she realized that it could be a possibility that Wheein could have died.

“But Moonbyul unnie refused to believe it. And I told myself that if there was no news of your death, you could still be alive somewhere.”

Wheein wiped her tears away and then smiled sadly.

“I needed help for myself. I had enough of fighting with my own monsters. I was tired of life; living my life like as though it was worthless. So, I left Seoul and went further north. I did some research and found a facility that acts as a rehabilitation for individuals who were mentally challenged like me. That was where I met Yongsun unnie. She was my doctor; she was in-charge of me and honestly, I gave her hell during the first few months.

I often hit her; punched her and sometimes her stronger nurses would punch me in the face each time I hurt Yongsun unnie. She has a circle of guardians who would fight me if I ever try to hurt the doctor. But she often stopped them; came up to me and embraced me instead. She never gave up on me.

I was diagnosed with personality disorder and severe depression. The nurses had a hard time to identify which one was the real me and which was the monster. But not Yongsun unnie; she knew each time and she dealt with me accordingly. Soon, I slowly opened to her; letting her in and learn to trust her. And before I knew it, I fell in love with her.

Then gradually, I realized. I couldn’t wait to see her in the morning. I couldn’t sleep if she doesn’t wish me good night before she ended her shift. I would often walk over to her office just to see her. And she, she came to me like an angle. She took care of me; showered me with affection and her attention was solely on me. And when we got together; she never stopped showing support in everything that I wanted to do.

She was the one who introduced me to the gallery, and I became a manager after that. Yongsun unnie believes in me. Her faith in me is so strong that I just realized how terrifying her love could be when she sacrificed her eyes like this.”

“She seems like a kind, generous woman.”

“She is. And I love her. I cannot love another because of her. But I just realized it a little too late.”

“Don’t you worry, Wheein. I’ll help you find Dr Kim.”

“Thank you, Hyejin ah.”

-

Operation was a success. The two best friends were relieved. Dr Park finally appeared after the operation was over and Wheein grabbed her arms instantly.

“Wheein-shi?”

“I need to talk to you urgently.”

“Is this about Moonbyul?”

“No, this is about the donor.”

“I’m sorry, I can’t reveal the donor’s identity.”

“Please, Dr Park. This is important to me. I need to know.”

Dr Park cautiously looked around her; then gave in. She nodded.

“Look for me in my office in an hour’s time.”

-

“So, are you heading to Dr Park’s office?”

“Yes, she said I have to go alone.”

“Okay, just stay calm, alright?”

“I will.”

Wheein quickly made her way to Dr Park’s office. She was determined to find out where Dr Kim would be. If she was really the donor, then Wheein would want to take the responsibility of looking after her.

It took her 20 minutes from Moonbyul’s ward. The older woman was still sleeping and hasn’t come around yet. Dr Park was already waiting for her; standing at the doorway.

“Wheein-shi?”

“Dr Park, are you waiting for me?”

“Yes, but we have to go somewhere else.  And you have dressed appropriately.”

“Huh?”

“Come with me. I’ll take you to that someone you wanted to meet desperately.”

Wheein was puzzled. Why was Dr Park heading out of the hospital? Shouldn’t Dr Kim be resting somewhere in the hospital? But nevertheless, she followed Dr Park obediently. They got into Dr Park’s car and she drove off immediately.

Dr Park drove in silence. Wheein wasn’t keen to talk either. They both just kept quiet in the car as it drove out of the city. Suddenly, Wheein saw a columbarium instead. She panicked and finally turned to Dr Park.

“Where are you taking me?”

“You want to meet the donor, right?”

“She’s dead?!”

Dr Park nodded solemnly. Wheein’s heart sank to the deepest pit. It was broken and then continued to break into million pieces. No, this wasn’t supposed to happen. She was ready to take Dr Kim even if she was not in her perfect form anymore.

“Please tell me this is a lie.”

“She’s gone, Wheein-shi. She got into an accident and then was declared brain-dead. So, her family has decided to give up her organs for good use. And her family has specifically told me that her corneas to be given to Moonbyul.”

“No, no! This is not happening!”

“I’m really sorry.”

They finally reached to a carpark. And there were a couple of people dressed in black. They had just returned from crematorium and now, the urn of ashes was put to a final rest. Wheein watched as she saw a couple of ladies cried. Then she spotted someone familiar – Professor. The professor from the rehabilitation centre.

She quickly got out of the car and ran up towards him. Her heart was beating so fast. Even though it seemed like this was real, but she hoped it wasn’t. She was not ready to face this truth.

“Professor!”

The man turned; his face lighted up.

“Wheein?”

“What are you doing here?”

“I have come to give my last respects.”

“So, this is real? It’s not a dream?”

“I guess, it is not.”

Wheein slowly went down on her knees. This was no longer a nightmare. It was real. It was terribly real, and she hoped she could just disappear from this moment. At that point of time, she wished she was with Yongsun instead.

“Wheein-shi, follow me.”

Dr Park pulled her up and assisted her to the front. Wheein was dragging her feet; losing her soul; breaking her heart and tons of regrets filled her mind. Many people were there; crying and some were whispering.

“It must have been tough for her family.”

Of course, it would. Kim Yongsun is an incredible woman. Anyone would feel her loss. And Wheein felt it instantly.

“Wheein-shi, there she is.”

Wheein was standing in front of the glass panel. Rows and rows of urns were perfectly filling up the empty space in the glass panel. Wheein refused to look up; not willing to look at the woman she loved who had left eternally.

But she knew she would regret this. She had to do this, for the last time. Slowly, she lifted her head up with her eyes closed; then gradually opened her eyes and stared at the photo in front of her. She frowned.

This is not Kim Yongsun.

“Her name is Solar Kim.”

“Solar Kim? Wait, the actress?!”

“Yes, this is Solar Kim, the actress. I’m sure you have heard about her accident in London.”

Wheein was in total confusion. Yes, she knew about the accident and she knew who Solar Kim was. But how was she related to Moonbyul?

“Wait, she gave her corneas to Moonbyul?”

“Yes, it was requested by the family.”

“Requested by the family?”

“Yes, her sister did.”

Just then, someone familiar appeared in front of Wheein. She was in all black and her eyes were completely red. Wheein was in a shock when she realized who she was.

“Jung Wheein?”

Right in front of Jung Wheein, stood Dr Kim Yongsun.

-

A white BMW car was waiting for the girls. Wheein’s eyes sparkled when she spotted it. She quickly ran up towards it and someone else got out from the car as well. Wheein then smiled widely before she jumped on the person.

“Oof!”

The person caught hold of her; arms around Wheein’s waist and looked up as Wheein was lovingly gazing into the person’s eyes.

“You’re not getting any lighter, you know?”

“I don’t care. You’re going to catch me all the time.”

“As you wish, my princess.”

Wheein slyly leaned in and gave a gentle soft kiss on the person’s lips.

“Hey, hey!”

Hwasa stopped Wheein from getting further. Moonbyul rolled her eyes as Wheein stuck her tongue out.

“You didn’t give us a chance in the room. So, don’t even think about it.”

Moonbyul grumbled. Hwasa chuckled softly before she planted a kiss on Moonbyul’s forehead. Wheein smirked as the person put her down on the ground.

“How are you doing, Moonbyul-shi?”

“I’m great. Thank you so much once again.”

“I didn’t do much.”

“You saved my life. I’m forever grateful towards you, Dr Kim.”

Dr Kim smiled and nodded. She then went down on her knees and gazed softly at Moonbyul. She was staring into Moonbyul’s eyes. They were familiar.

“Please take good care of my sister’s eyes, Moonbyul.”

“Trust me, I will.”

-

Kim Yongsun. She was born out of wedlock and her mother left her at the orphanage nearby. There was no way she could raise this baby on her own. She wanted to give this baby a chance to live; so she hoped the orphanage would help this little one.

She had no name. She had no birth certificate either. She was probably born at home or even worse, in the street. So, when the nun found her at the front door of the orphanage, the poor baby was crying her lungs out. She named her Yongsun.

Yongsun grew up beautifully. She was well-behaved; she listened well, and the nuns and caretakers love her dearly. Her peers who grew up with her adored her as well.  So, at the tender age of 10, Yongsun’s happy-go-lucky personality attracted one of the volunteers who often came to the orphanage.

His name is Kim Do Hoon. He’s a millionaire and has been married to his wife for almost 15 years. Unfortunately, they had no children. So, Mr Kim spent most of his time at the orphanage because he loves children.

Yongsun caught his eye. For the last 4 years that he had been coming over, he watched Yongsun grew up into this confident 10-year-old girl who enjoys singing and dancing. She’s beautiful; thoughtful and always eager to learn new things.

Mr Kim enjoys his conversations with her. She’s extremely smart for her age. Soon, Mr Kim has grown attached to this 10-year-old and decided to adopt her. He brought his wife to the orphanage and told her about his thoughts.

“You want to adopt a 10-year-old girl?”

“Why not?”

“Wouldn’t she be too old?”

“Her age is just perfect. And I’m comfortable with her. You will love her, trust me!”

“Oh, alright then.”

Mr Kim introduced his wife to Yongsun. And they clicked well. Yongsun’s such a pleasant child that Mrs Kim took a great liking in her. They adopted her immediately.

So, now Yongsun has a birth certificate and legal papers stated that she’s legally a daughter to Mr & Mrs Kim. And her new name is Kim Yongsun. They lived in a huge apartment in Seoul and Yongsun loved her newfound life.

But despite that, Yongsun remained humble and polite. Mr Kim’s parents were happy when they met Yongsun for the first time. Mr Kim particularly adores Yongsun. His attention would always be on her.

The girl grew up as the only child in the family for the next 2 years before a miracle happened. Mrs Kim got pregnant after the 50th time she tried for IVF. But now in her forties, Mrs Kim was vulnerable. However, she was lucky. Yongsun was there to help her.

“Omma, are you feeling better?”

“Yes, I’m good. Thank you, Yongsun.”

Well, blood is thicker than water. Of course, Mrs Kim would prefer her biological daughter over her adopted daughter. The baby girl was born on Yongsun’s birthday. She was celebrating her 12th birthday when her mother was rushed to the hospital.

Solar Kim. She was born on the same day as Yongsun and they were 12 years apart. Mr Kim was ecstatic at the arrival of his daughter and Mrs Kim was over the moon. Gradually, all the focus and attention were on Solar Kim. And Yongsun had become the eldest child instead.

Things changed. Her grandparents changed their stance towards her; they preferred Solar over Yongsun. Mrs Kim too. She was only concerned about Solar more than Yongsun. Only Mr Kim cares so much about Yongsun.

Yongsun felt left out subsequently. But she wasn’t complaining. She was still given shelter; food and even put through school and provided with proper education. She couldn’t be ungrateful towards her adopted parents. Especially her father, Mr Kim.

Yongsun continued to do well in her studies; Mr Kim was proud of her when she got her doctorate and became a doctor. But Mrs Kim felt that Mr Kim was doting too much on Yongsun.

“She’s not even your biological daughter.”

“She is my daughter. I went through so much hardship obtaining the legal documents to make her our daughter.”

“I don’t like it that you’re spending too much money on Yongsun.”

“Don’t you say that again! Have you forgotten who took care of you when you were pregnant with Solar? Yongsun was the one!”

Mrs Kim looked away; she knew she couldn’t win this argument. Her husband adores Yongsun too much. And she had no power to fight it off either.

“You spoilt Solar too much. She’s not studying; she plays in school. She’s barely 12 and she’s already skipping classes in school.”

“I’ll take care of my daughter. You can focus on Yongsun.”

“Before Solar gets worse, you better do something about it.”

-

When Yongsun turned 28, she had started her internship at Seoul National University Hospital. She was the top student in her cohort. She was a medical student, but she eventually took a specialized course – psychology. This time, Mrs Kim’s reaction was a little better than before.

The 10-year-old girl she brought home from orphanage has grown up. Now, she’s 28 and had a doctorate under her name; a promising career ahead of her and yet, remain humble towards her family. Mrs Kim was really surprised when Yongsun had bought her an expensive gift using her first pay-check.

“What is this?”

“A gift for you, Omma. For raising me up.”

Mrs Kim felt guilty. All these years, she never really paid attention on Yongsun. Her sole focus was on Solar.

“You shouldn’t have.”

“This is my very first pay-check. I thought I should get you and Appa something worthy.”

Mrs Kim was thankful and her treatment towards Yongsun changed greatly. Her own daughter, Solar was just a rebel. She kept getting into trouble in school and eventually, the girl left school to pursue a career in entertainment instead.

“Where is Solar?”

Solar was 16 then. She was stubborn and never listen to her parents. And she hates Yongsun. Her father often compared her with Yongsun and she grew distant with the older sister. To make things worse, she found out that Yongsun wasn’t her parents’ biological child. So, she tormented Yongsun with harsh words and sometimes bullied her.

But Yongsun just took it in her stride. She was used to such bullying. Back when she was in the orphanage, her school mates would bully her endlessly. But Yongsun grew resistance towards such treatment; Solar didn’t bother her that much.

And the relationship got worse when Mrs Kim bought an apartment for Yongsun. It was a gift that Mrs Kim had in mind for the longest time. Since her first pay-check till now, Yongsun had given her some pocket money for her and Mr Kim.

Well, she didn’t have to do that since they were already rich but Yongsun wanted to be filial. This was her way of showing it. So, Mrs Kim discussed with her husband when Yongsun told them she wanted to move out and live closer to her hospital.

Solar was jealous that her parents focused on Yongsun. She hated her sister to the core. But not Yongsun; she continuously showed concern for her younger sister.

Things slowly got better when Solar fell ill one day. She was training at her agency and she was mastering this crazy dance routine. Eventually, Solar fainted and her friends called Yongsun. Yongsun rushed to the agency and took her sister to the hospital.

Yongsun protected Solar; sued her agency and won. The agency was a hoax and many kids have fallen into their trap. With Yongsun’s intervention, the agency head was put to prison and Solar was grateful towards her sister.

“I’m sorry, Unnie.”

“Don’t be. You’re fine now.”

Their relationship got better and Solar grew extremely attached to Yongsun.

-

One morning, the day when Yongsun and Wheein had a problem with their relationship, Yongsun received a phone call from overseas. She had just finished preparing breakfast for Wheein. Despite the talk earlier on, Yongsun was determined to stay with Wheein.

But that phone call from overseas had created a commotion for Yongsun’s family. Wheein didn’t really know much about Yongsun’s family. In fact, she knew nothing. She didn’t even realize that the South Korean actress, Solar Kim was indeed, Kim Yongsun’s little sister.

“Hi, this is Dr Kim here.”

“Dr Kim, I’m Yoo, Miss Solar Kim’s manager. She’s involved in a horrible accident in London and now fighting for her life at London University Hospital. The doctor said she’s unconscious and in coma; there’s not much activity in her brain left. They have declared her brain dead.”

“What?!”

“Miss Solar used to remind me that I should call her older sister first should anything happen to her. She said you would know what to do.”

This was a heart-crushing news. Yongsun was extremely worried for her sister. She immediately called her parents and then called her superior. She needed to rush to London to see her sister. She was packing her bag and then left the room. Wheein was still sleeping on the sofa bed in the living room.

She gently caressed Wheein’s cheeks. She had to worry about Wheein later. Her focus was her family. Solar is more important now.

“I’m sorry, Wheeinie. I need to go now.”

She left without saying goodbye.

-

Yongsun quit her job so that she could focus on Solar’s recovery. She might be a psychiatrist, but she was once a medical student. Those medical jargons were easy for Yongsun to understand. So, having Yongsun at the hospital in London, her parents felt relieved.

But things weren’t getting better for Solar. The 22-year-old actress was struggling to live. Her skull was badly crushed and 20% of her brain tissue were removed because of her crushed skull. Ultimately, Solar was declared brain dead. There was no way she could survive this.

“I’m sorry, Dr Kim. I don’t think Miss Kim will ever wake up from this coma.”

It was devastating for the family. Yongsun was crying non-stop. She couldn’t believe that such thing would happen to her sweet little sister, Solar. She was insufferable; Solar’s accident was a big blow to her.

“Yongsun ah, we have decided to let Solar go.”

“What?”

“Appa doesn’t want to see Solar suffer like this. Maybe letting her go will give her that sweet release.”

“Omma? You agreed too?”

Mrs Kim was inconsolable, but she agreed with her husband’s decision. She didn’t want to prolong Solar’s misery and she was probably in deep pain at this moment. Letting go would be a better idea.

-

Solar was dead. And they brought her body back to Seoul. She was brought to the hospital for post-mortem and that was when Yongsun found out about Solar signed up as organ donor.

“What?”

“Solar met up with me one day. She said she wanted to sign up as an organ donor. She was inspired by you because you have saved many lives.”

“That’s my job.”

“Yes, and Solar idolized you.”

“My parents are aware of it?”

“Of course, Solar had asked their permission.”

“And your father is aware of your situation with Wheein. He noticed you were not your usual self and asked me what happened.”

Yongsun was surprised that her father knew.  She didn’t really say much about Wheein except for the fact that she’s staying with Yongsun now.

-

“You’re gay, aren’t you?”

Mr Kim was honest. Yongsun was stunned.

“I already know you are.”

“How do you know?”

“First of all, I have not seen any boys around you. You have not brought back any boys to meet us; unlike Solar. And most of your friends are girls and I could see how affectionate you are with them sometimes.”

“And you’re not angry with me?”

“Why should I? It’s your choice. You’re still my child. In fact, you’re my only child and daughter now.”

“But..”

“And I think Wheein is more than just a friend, right?”

Yongsun nodded.

“The reason why you helped Wheein was because of her family background. It was similar with yours; both of you are orphans.”

“But Wheein got it worse. She didn’t grow up in a wonderful family.”

“I know, you shared with me before. And I feel sorry for her. And I know you’re having problems with her now because of her ex-girlfriend?”

“Did Chorong tell you all this?”

“I have spies.”

“Appa!”

“Don’t worry about how I knew all this. I’m just worried that my eldest daughter is not being her usual self. She’s sad.”

“Of course, I am. I just lost my sister.”

Mr Kim nodded and then pulled his eldest daughter towards him. He hugged her tightly. Then he kissed her forehead gently.

“Solar grew up well because of you. She listens to you. And even till her last breath, Solar could only think of you. I heard from her manager; Solar called out your name before she fell unconscious.”

Yongsun cried hearing that. She felt useless for unable to be there for Solar.

“No, Yongsun. You were there. You had issues with Wheein and you could be losing the love of your life but no, you put Solar first. You rushed to London to be by Solar’s side. And I’m grateful that you did. And Solar felt consoled even though she didn’t really wake up. I saw Solar’s face when they pulled out her life support system. There was a smile on Solar’s face. I’m sure Solar was able to let go because she knew her sister loves her the most.”

Yongsun’s eyes were getting watery. The thought of Solar hurt her greatly. And the thought of losing Wheein was tormenting too.

“Since Solar wanted to be an organ donor, your mother told me to let Solar do whatever she wants. The media found out about Solar being an organ donor and they wrote good articles on her. They even praised Solar for her good heart. And since Solar wanted to do good for others even after her death, your mother and I have agreed that her corneas should be given to Wheein’s ex-girlfriend.”

“Are you serious, Appa?”

“I’m serious.”

“That’ll be the best gift to Wheein. All I want is happiness for her, Appa.”

“Silly girl. Stop sacrificing yourself. Go and win Wheein back. For all you know, the one she loves is you.”

-

“Jung Wheein?”

Yongsun was stunned when she found Wheein standing in front of her sister’s urn. Then she saw Chorong on the side; smiling at her. She mouthed something before leaving Wheein with Yongsun alone.

Wheein was still staring at Yongsun. She was in disbelief. The woman she loves; the one whom she thought died is standing right in front of her; very much alive.

“What is going on? Why are you here? Who is this person? Who is Solar Kim to you?”

Then Wheein realized the same surname. Her eyes grew larger.

“Is she your sister?!”

“Let’s sit somewhere. It’s going to be a long story.”

The couple settled down at the bench situated far away from the crowd. Wheein was still waiting for Yongsun’s answers. So, Yongsun told her story. And Wheein was listening attentively. Her heart ached when she saw tears in Yongsun’s eyes.

“The reason why I took up your case because I felt for you. I’m an orphan too and grew up in the orphanage until I was 10. But I guess, I was much luckier than you because my family cares about me sincerely.”

“You must have been heart-broken when Solar-shi died.”

“We were with her when she took her last breath. I admit. I felt like my heart was pulled out from the socket. I couldn’t think properly. I just wanted to hide somewhere.”

“Is that the reason why you left me? Left your job? To be with your family and her?”

“I didn’t want to leave you, Wheein. I had no choice.”

Wheein smiled then shook her head. She reached out for Yongsun’s hands.

“You’re not alone now. I’m here, Unnie. I’ll heal your broken heart. I have just made a promise to Solar-shi. I’ll look after her big sister and stay with her for the rest of my life.”

“Huh?”

“I love you, Unnie. I love you so much that nobody else can take over your place now. Now that I have found you, I’m not letting go of these hands anymore.”

“Wheein..”

“You have no idea how scared I was when you went missing.”

“I’m sorry, Wheein.”

“No, please don’t say sorry. You’re here now. Let me take good care of you, Unnie. I promise I’ll never hurt you; this heart is for you. And I still do; I still love you.”

-

They were having dinner at Hwasa’s apartment. Moonbyul wanted to thank Dr Kim and Wheein for helping her during her stay in the hospital. And of course, she had a hidden agenda too. Food was served and everyone had a good time. They chatted for hours then Moonbyul suddenly stood up. Eyes on her; Wheein was curious and Hwasa was worried. Only Dr Kim knew what was on Moonbyul’s mind.

-

“Dr Kim, can you help me?”

Moonbyul asked Dr Kim one day when the doctor visited her in the hospital.

“Yeah? Do you need something?”

“I need to get something but I’m not sure if I can leave the hospital without permission.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to get this ring.”

Moonbyul showed the wedding band on her phone. Dr Kim was looking at her; frowning.

“Wait, are you going to propose to someone?”

“Yes.”

“Wheein?”

“What?! No! Wheein is yours.”

“Hwasa?”

“Yes, Hwasa. I’m going to propose to her. I mean, she has been looking after me; protecting me and watching over me as I struggled during my stay at the hospital. All the feelings I kept suppressed inside resurfaced and I thought I should win her back before someone else does.”

“But I thought you love Wheein?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Hey, you can’t love two women at the same time!”

“Chill, Dr Kim. I love Wheein as a sister now. And I just want to assure you that Wheein loves me as a big sister. We both have ironed out our feelings and agreed that we just care for each other in more friendly ways.”

“Oh okay.”

“So, can you help me to talk to Dr Park?”

“Sure, we will need her to drive us to the nearby mall anyway.”

Dr Kim winked and roped Dr Park into this mission as well.

-

Moonbyul took a deep breath; Dr Kim looked on with a grin on her face. She rolled her eyes at Dr Kim.

“What’s happening? Are you two fighting again?”

Wheein was concerned. These two can be good with each other but at times, they could be loggerheads too. Well, Moonbyul had a great interest in her newfound unnie, Kim Yongsun. She loves to disturb the older woman because of her cute reactions. And of course, teasing her came secondary because of Wheein. Dr Kim would get jealous so easily.

“Nothing, Moonbyul got important task to complete.”

Dr Kim smirked while Moonbyul was nervous. She gripped the ring in her pocket tightly. Dr Kim then went over to her side and squeezed her shoulder tightly.

“Let’s go.”

Moonbyul then turned to Hwasa. Moonbyul gave her a cheeky grin.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know if this is too early or maybe it might be too late. But I’ll be damn if I decide to let this opportunity slip through my fingers.”

“Huh?”

Dr Kim moved over to Wheein and put her arms around the younger woman. She hugged her tightly. Wheein gave her a side-eye.

“What’s going on?”

Wheein whispered.

“Just wait and see.”

Dr Kim gave a quick peck on her lips and the couple turned their attention to the other couple. Moonbyul looked like as though she might burst into flames while Hwasa was in a great confusion. Then suddenly Wheein realized something.

“IS MOONBYUL UNNIE PROPOSING?!”

“SHH!”

“SHE BETTER GET THIS RIGHT! I WILL KILL HER IF SHE DOESN’T!”

And so, Moonbyul proposed to Hwasa with the perfect diamond ring. And Hwasa never think twice. She immediately agreed.

“I’ve been waiting for this day.”

“I’m sorry, I took a long time and an accident to make me realize how much you mean to me. Even before that woman got crazy, you were there for me.”

“HEY!”

“Shh, Wheein. Just let it go. It’s their time now.”

“Fine.”

“Thanks Dr Kim. Like I was saying, I admit. I love Wheein. From the first moment I saw her until the day she became mine; I loved her whole-heartedly. And even when she went missing, I knew I loved her because I couldn’t live my life properly. And you were affected too. You couldn’t live your life because Wheein was not there with us.”

Wheein never knew this. Her disappearance made them suffer.

“It’s all fine now, Wheein ah. I’m just glad that you found someone new who understands you better than I ever did. I don’t mind losing you to her. And she healed you, Wheein. That’s the best thing she had ever done for you.”

Hwasa agreed. She added on.

“I have never really spoken to you about this before, Dr Kim. But I want you to know that I’m eternally grateful and thankful that you came into her life and assisted with her wonderful recovery. I’m a horrible best friend who broke her heart in the worst way possible but because you changed her; Wheein has readily forgiven me and now we’re friends again.”

“And this made me realize one thing. I should cherish the people around me and that includes you, Hyejin ah. All this time, you stood by my side. And I thought to myself, if I didn’t hold on to Hyejin now, I would lose her. I have already lost Wheein. I don’t think I’m ready to lose Hyejin. Not now; not ever.”

Hwasa smiled; tears watered her eyes. Moonbyul then took out her ring and slipped onto Hwasa’s ring finger. Beautiful and perfect. Hwasa couldn’t contain her happiness; she cried and laughed at the same time.

“Be my wife forever, Anh Hyejin.”

“Always will be, Moon Byulyi.”

The other couple gagged. These two greasy women.

-

Wheein was lying next to Yongsun. Today was the best day of her life. Her best friend and her dearest unnie were engaged. Yongsun was soundly asleep. Her girlfriend could fall asleep so easily; even sitting up was possible too. She discreetly turned to her side as she watched Yongsun’s breathing evenly.

They both are orphans. Both were raised at the orphanage. Probably that was the reason why Yongsun was so patient with her because she probably understood the pain Wheein went through. Thankfully, Yongsun was raised in a proper family. Thus, when she met Wheein, she just wanted to undo the pain in Wheein’s heart. Yongsun confessed to her one time why she chose to this challenge to be Wheein’s doctor.

And Wheein was glad that she did. Because if not for Yongsun, Wheein would probably be dead by now. Recently, Wheein met Yongsun’s adopted parents. Mrs Kim was crying when Yongsun told her about Wheein’s story. And just like that, Wheein gained new parents. In fact, they know Wheein is Yongsun’s special someone.

Wheein was terrified when they knew but they were so open about it; they embraced both Yongsun and Wheein totally. So, now Wheein would visit Mrs Kim whenever she was free. Somehow, Wheein reminded Mrs Kim of her late daughter, Solar.

All the good things that happened to Wheein now were all from Yongsun. Wheein had nothing but love and affection for Yongsun. Every little thing Yongsun says or does, Wheein would etch those moments deep in her heart.

Just like the other day, Yongsun attempted to draw and paint their photo on a canvas. Of course, Eric was assisting her, but the man almost killed her. However, all ended well, the painting on the canvas was perfect. Well, almost. Wheein had proudly hung up on the wall of the living room much to Yongsun’s protest. She was extremely proud of her older girlfriend for attempting something new.

Yongsun decided to work at the same hospital with Dr Park. The hospital director offered her a job and Yongsun found out that the hospital works closely with the orphanage she used to stay. To Wheein’s surprise, they used to stay at the same orphanage!

“Wow, we are so meant for each other.”

Yongsun commented once. And Wheein couldn’t agree more. So, now both girlfriends volunteered at the orphanage. The director still recognized the girls. Wheein used to watch with a smile on her face when Yongsun would sing or tell stories to the children in the study room. Yongsun was so animated and the children truly adored her.

While Yongsun created activities for the children, Wheein was focused in beautifying the orphanage. Her employees from the gallery had volunteered to paint the place; giving the orphanage a new lease of life. So, when Wheein was painting some inspiration she had, Yongsun would watch her secretly; Wheein was so y when she concentrated in her masterpiece. Both women complemented each other.

Wheein smiled as she recalled those memories shared with Yongsun. She loves Yongsun a little bit more each day. And she helped Yongsun to get over Solar’s death. Just few weeks ago, Wheein bought some of Solar’s dramas and they binged watch them together.

“Wow, Solar’s so beautiful.”

“She is. She will always be beautiful to me.”

“You still miss her?”

“Very much. I have always thought I could do better.”

“But you did well, baby. Solar’s well-loved and well-remembered by her fans and people who love her dramas. You should be proud of her.”

“I’m really proud of her. I just wished she was still here with me; with us. I would love to introduce you to her.”

“I’m sure she’s watching over you now; with a smile on her face.”

Yongsun looked at Wheein. The younger woman leaned in with a kiss.

“Because I made a promise to her; at her urn; that I would never stop loving her big sister and I will look after you on her behalf.”

“Thank you, Wheein.”

“Baby, you’re my biggest saviour. I should thank you instead.”

“I love you, Wheein.”

“I love you too, Unnie.”

-

Wheein couldn’t stop smiling; she watched her girlfriend sleeping. She looked so peaceful and her mochi cheeks were so tempting. Wheein leaned forward and bit Yongsun’s left cheek.

“Uhh~”

Yongsun was briefly annoyed. She rubbed her red cheek and then slowly opened her eyes. Wheein was grinning like a cheeky child on her side.

“What are you doing? Why aren’t you sleeping? What time is it?”

“Your cheeks are so cute. I cannot resist it.”

“Did you just stay up and watch me sleep?”

“Yes, I did!”

“So creepy.”

“Say that again!”

“THAT!”

“UNNIE!”

“What? Isn’t that what you asked me to say?”

“URGHHHHHHHH! WHY AM I ALWAYS GETTING ANNOYED AT THE END OF THE DAY!?”

Wheein was peeved and was about get out of bed when Yongsun grabbed her by the waist. She pinned her down and hovered above Wheein.

“Where are you going?”

“To get a pail of water and douse it on you.”

“You really bear to do that to me?”

“No, I was just saying.”

“How about we do something else?”

“Like what?”

Yongsun leaned in; their bodies close together and Yongsun purposely lingered her lips on Wheein’s. Wheein stared blankly; anticipating the next move. Then the older woman slowly caressed Wheein’s bare arms and pulled out the t-shirt Wheein was wearing.

“Wow, someone’s not wearing anything underneath.”

“We are supposed to sleep.”

“What’s sleep? Someone woke me up while I was sleeping.”

Wheein swallowed hard; Dr Kim was getting mischievously cheeky. She trapped Wheein underneath her and then purposely grazed Wheein’s neck with her tongue. Wheein squirmed under her touch.

“This is your punishment for waking me up.”

Wheein swallowed hard.

“Am I in trouble?”

“What do you think, Jung Wheein?”

She was in trouble. Dr Kim was a tiger in disguise. Wheein had a long, satisfied wet night.

-

5 years later

“OK DONE! LET’S GET OUT!”

Two kids were bundled under a blanket and huddled quickly out of the bathroom. A disoriented woman running around the house with a towel and change of clothes while screaming at her wife.

“KIM YONGSUN! ARE YOU READY?!”

“OKAY! I’LL TAKE OVER FROM HERE! QUICK! BATHE!”

Jung Wheein left the kids with Yongsun and then rushed to bathe. Yongsun was all dressed and she quickly changed the two kids. A 3-year-old boy and a 15-month-old girl stood there; staring at their mom. Yongsun swiftly dressed the boy first while the younger one was screaming her lungs out.

“Aww, Ha-Eun ah, I’ll be right there with you, okay? Let me dress up Oppa first. Aigoo, Ha-Bin ah, you look so handsome!”

Ha-Bin was holding on to his toy car; staring blankly at his mother. It was a typical morning; his mothers would be running around like mad women just to prepare them from their day-care school.

“Ha-Bin ah, you wait here, okay? Omma got you cereals.”

Ha-Bin settled down for his breakfast while Yongsun then changed her focus on Ha-Eun. She pacified the crying baby while getting her dressed. She has become a skilful multi-tasker. In fact, both Wheein and Yongsun got better and quicker after Ha-Eun came along.

Wheein appeared after 10 minutes; she was all dressed in her blue blouse and white jeans. Yongsun was in black power skirt with a tight-fitting cream blouse. They were preparing for work.

“Is Ha-Bin ready?”

“Yeah, he’s eating now. Eat your breakfast.”

“How about you?”

“I will eat in office. I have packed some lunch for you and me. The kids’ milk bottles and meal boxes are on the table. Can you help to put them in their bags?”

Wheein was awed. Every morning, without fail, Kim Yongsun would prepare something for the whole family to eat. She watched as Yongsun sat on the dining table with Ha-Eun on her lap; feeding her while cleaning Ha-Bin’s mouth. She was such a fantastic mother.

Wheein went up to her; sat beside her and then hugged the woman she loves tightly. Yongsun was taken aback.

“What are you doing?”

“I love you.”

“Jung Wheein, we are so late! And you’re trying to be romantic here?!”

“I don’t care how late we are. I just want to say I love you.”

“I love you too. Now eat!”

Wheein grinned like an idiot before digging into her bowl of cereals. It was a wonderful morning for Wheein; she was just grateful that she could still wake up with Yongsun by her side.

“JUNG WHEEIN! STOP DAYDREAMING! WE ARE SO LATE!”

Wheein looked up at the clock and then ate few spoonsful before she dumped the bowl into the sink. The part time maid could clear them later. She grabbed Ha-Bin and his school bag.

“Ha-Bin, wear your shoes sweetie! Ha-Eun, come to Mommy! Baby, are you ready to go?”

“We have to run! Their van is coming in like 10 seconds.”

“! I’ll go first! You grab their things.”

Wheein then placed Ha-Eun in her carrier and carried Ha-Bin on her right arm. She started running down the stairs and Yongsun was quick behind her. Wheein managed to catch hold of the driver before he leaves.

“AHJUSSI!”

“Aigoo, Wheein ah! I thought the children are not coming today.”

“Sorry, we are so late today.”

“What do you mean by today? It’s every day.”

“Ok, fine. Anyway, thanks for waiting! Unnie, hurry up!”

Yongsun was in high heels; she struggled so hard. Eventually she managed to catch up and was almost out of breath. Wheein grabbed her kids’ things and passed it to the ahjumma.

“Okay, love you Ha-Bin ah, Ha-Eun ah! I’ll cook spaghetti tonight, k?”

Yongsun kissed her kids goodbye and finally, the van drove off. Wheein put her arm around Yongsun’s waist and snuggled closer.

“Next time, we need to set our alarm 2 hours earlier.”

“Baby, you know it’s pointless.”

“Right, but we can’t be doing this every day.”

Wheein then smiled widely.

“I got a SUV for us.”

“A what?”

“I got a new SUV for us; to fit the kids and all their toys and things. I’ll drive the kids to school and you to work every single morning.”

“When did you get it?”

“Last month. Eric oppa gave me a fat bonus pay-check. And we got rid of our car previously because it was an old model. And I wanted to buy you a gift. This car is for you, baby.”

Yongsun chuckled softly.

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because you’re a great wife and a fantastic mother. You chose to get pregnant with the children and gave birth to them.”

“Ha-Eun is yours.”

“Yes, because you chose to surrogate my child. That’s why I told myself I need to take good care of you even more.”

“Are you sure you’re fine with just 2 children?”

“Baby, we have a boy and a girl. I think that’s good enough. I’m a baby myself. So technically, you have 3 babies.”

Yongsun smiled and then kissed her wife’s forehead. 4 years ago, they got married in Maldives. Yongsun brought Wheein there because she had always wanted a holiday. So, instead of just a holiday, Yongsun arranged for a secret marriage proposal. Wheein readily accepted it.

Then few months later, Hwasa delivered twins. She got IVF treatment and got pregnant. Moonbyul was ecstatic and Wheein was jealous of them. So, Yongsun once again suggested that they should try IVF as well. Unfortunately, Wheein’s constitution was not that strong so Yongsun had to be the one.

It took them a year later before the IVF worked. Ha-Bin was conceived and he’s Yongsun’s biological son. Then 2 years later, Yongsun decided to get pregnant again. But this time, with Wheein’s baby, and so they did the same procedure. Ha-Eun came along after that.

Now a family of 4, Yongsun finally felt completed.

“I love you.”

Wheein whispered softly.

“I love you too, Wheein.”

Then Yongsun looked at her watch. She rolled her eyes.

“WHEEIN AH! WE ARE LATE!”

“AH SHEESH!”

Well, that was their lives on daily basis. And they kinda enjoyed it. As long as they are happy together.

-