Epilogue

I Still Do

“Miss Moon’s condition is stabilised now. And her eye corneas transplant is a success. However, she might unable to see that clearly yet. But slowly, she will be able to fully regain her eyesight.”

Few months ago, Moonbyul was involved in a hit-and-run accident, right outside of Wheein’s gallery. And it happened in front of Wheein and Hwasa. The two women were stunned and then they went amok when the driver just drove off without helping Moonbyul.

Wheein was hysterical. She couldn’t believe her rotten luck. They just met once again and now God has threatened to take her away once again. She begged for Moonbyul’s life and when Moonbyul was rushed to the hospital, Wheein stood by her side.

“Miss Moon’s eyesight is in danger. Her eyes are badly damaged. She may not be able to see again.”

The glass pieces from the window screen of the car smashed against Moonbyul’s head and flew into Moonbyul’s eyes. Those sharp particles penetrated through Moonbyul’s veins; leaving the poor woman blind.

“What do you mean? There’s no way she can see again?!”

“She will require new eye corneas if she wants to see again.”

“That means??”

“Someone will have to donate their eye corneas to Miss Moon in order for her to gain her full eyesight again.”

Wheein and Hwasa were devastated. This couldn’t be happening to Moonbyul.

-

Yongsun heard of the accident and how Moonbyul’s eyesight was jeopardized. She quickly made her way to the hospital and was surprised to find Hwasa there as well.

“Hyejin-shi?”

Hwasa looked up; her heart sank when she noticed the confusion on Yongsun’s face. She had to reveal the truth of her identity.

“I’m also known as Hwasa and I’m Wheein’s best friend.”

“Oh. So, you know Wheein too?”

“Yes, and that night, I was actually looking for Moonbyul.”

Yongsun finally got the idea. It was all pre-destined. Probably Wheein was never meant to be hers in the first place. The world just came into a full circle and it had reached to a null point for Yongsun. She found Wheein staring blankly in front of the operating theatre. She hasn’t turned around to look at Yongsun, her girlfriend. Her focus was only for the person behind the theatre room.

Hwasa felt sorry for Yongsun so she attempted to cushion whatever Yongsun was probably feeling inside. She stood up; pulled Yongsun to the side gently.

“Wheein’s worried because she hasn’t met Moonbyul for the longest time.”

“It’s okay. She told me the truth of her heart.”

“I don’t know how else I can console you.”

“I’ll be fine. Anyway, how’s Moonbyul-shi?”

“The doctor came out briefly to update her condition. Apparently, Moonbyul might lose her eyesight.”

“What?”

“We’re worried about Moonbyul. The doctor couldn’t guarantee if she could see again. The only way to do that is to get new corneas to replace her damaged ones.”

Yongsun nodded and then excused herself. But Hwasa stopped her.

“Please don’t leave just like that. You should greet Wheein.”

“She’s not even turning around to look at me. Her worry is only for Moonbyul. I shall not disturb her for now. I’ll call her later.”

“Dr Kim..”

“Don’t worry. I’m a psychiatrist. I won’t do anything stupid.”

Yongsun left immediately, without even saying hi or goodbye to Wheein.

-

Moonbyul was finally pushed to a normal ward. Her operation was over, but her eyes couldn’t be saved. It was confirmed that Moonbyul would never see again.

“How is she going to accept this?”

Wheein was extremely concerned.

“She will be fine. We just need to stay by her side.”

“I’ll stay here tonight.”

“Wheein ah, have you forgotten about someone?”

Wheein’s facial expression fell. She has totally forgotten about that one person.

“She was here just now.”

“She did?!”

“Yes, and you didn’t even turn around to look at her. She was crestfallen.”

“Did she call out for me?”

“She did. But you didn’t turn around. And she called you umpteen of times on your phone, but you didn’t answer her. I know you’re worried about Moonbyul but Wheein ah, you have someone you’re accountable for.”

Wheein bit her lower lip. She felt guilty and her heart was aching so badly.

“Have you forgotten about her? She’s the one who made you changed to this beautiful, confident woman you are now. Am I right?”

“I need to get home. Can you look after Moonbyul for me?”

“I will. Now, go and look for Dr Kim. This whole thing is totally unfair to her. Don’t lose her, Wheein ah.”

“But I’m still confused.”

“I’m going to ask you one question. You have to answer me truthfully.”

Wheein looked up; her eyes were focused on Hwasa.

“What is it?”

“Imagine this. If Dr Kim ever walks out from your life now, and you will never see her once again, do you think you can go through that?”

All memories of Yongsun came flooding into Wheein’s mind. She couldn’t imagine her life without Yongsun. She was terrified of losing Yongsun. She couldn’t see her life without Yongsun in it. Suddenly, she had difficulty in breathing just imagining it.

“I can’t.”

“Then don’t do this to Dr Kim. You need to think this through. You can’t just push her aside just because Moonbyul unnie has returned to your side.”

“I understand. I’ll go home now.”

Wheein ran off quickly, hoping the woman who saved her soul, would still be at home.

-

Yongsun was sitting on the sofa; still in her office wear and not doing anything in the darkness. Right from the time she left the hospital until she reached home in silence, all Yongsun could think of was Jung Wheein.

She wanted nothing but happiness for Wheein. Just as long as Wheein is happy and smiling, Yongsun could sacrifice some little things in her life. That’s how terrifying Yongsun’s love for Wheein.

She had deep thoughts; weighing many different scenarios and all the possibilities that could happen if she chose what she initially wanted to do. With a soft melodrama song coming in the background, Yongsun sang along to the lyrics.

“Wanting your love to come into me; feeling it slow, over this dream; touch me with a kiss; touch me with a kiss; now you’re above feeling it still; tell me it’s love, tell me it’s real; touch me with a kiss; feel me on your lips

‘Cause this is where I wanna be; where it’s so sweet and heavenly; I’m giving you all my; giving you all my; giving you all my love, giving you all my, giving you all my, giving you all my love; all my love

Needing you now to come into me; feeling it slow, over this dream, touch me with a kiss; feel me on my lips; when you’re above feeling it still; tell me it’s love; tell me it’s real; touch me with a kiss, touch me with a kiss..”

Wheein was just outside the door when she heard Yongsun singing. This was the same song she used to sing to Wheein back to those days when Wheein had undergone for treatment. Yongsun’s soothing voice managed to subdue Wheein’s inner violence and slowly, Wheein gradually fell in love with her doctor.

This song was their song. And to hear it from Yongsun now; her broken voice; Wheein felt at her worst. Hwasa was right. She couldn’t imagine her life without Yongsun. She quickly rushed in and grabbed Yongsun’s arms; embraced her tightly.

“Unnie..baby..”

Wheein could hear Yongsun’s heart breaking into pieces when the older woman sobbed quietly.

“No, please don’t cry. Please, please don’t.”

Wheein begged so hard. Because it was painful to hear it.

“I’m back, Unnie.”

“Are you really coming home to me?”

“Unnie..”

“I just want you to know that above all and everything that I could give you, I just want to give you nothing but happiness.”

“You have given me more than just happiness. You gave me life, joy and faith that moulded me into the person that I am today. Without you, I’ll still be dying in depression; fighting my own monsters and having dark skies empowering over me.”

“Then can I be selfish enough to give you more than that?”

“I’m the selfish one, Unnie.”

“Wheein, just as long as you don’t return to your old self, I’d do anything to ensure that it will never happen again.”

“What do you mean by that, Unnie?”

“Let’s break up.”

Wheein’s eyes grew larger. She shook her head and held Yongsun tightly.

“No, I can’t do this.”

“I saw you today, Wheein. You were clenching your fists together and that was the first time I saw you prayed. You prayed for Moonbyul’s life. And your world just revolved around her. My voice calling out to you couldn’t even penetrate that concentration you had today.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ignore you. I couldn’t hear you.”

“Exactly what I meant. Wheein, your heart still wants Moonbyul.”

“Unnie..”

“Let’s put it this way. Let’s take a break and you think over it. If you want me back, then come to me. If not, let’s just move on from everything we used to have.”

“Do we really have to do this?”

“I don’t want to be that someone who’s holding back your happiness. If it’s not with me, then I should let it go.”

Wheein’s heart was halved but Yongsun was right. She couldn’t be selfish and hold on to both women at the same time. She reluctantly agreed to take a break. But she made Yongsun promised her.

“Don’t ever disappear from my sight, Unnie.”

Yongsun was only smiling.

-

Moonbyul was on the hospital bed. It had been a while since she was hospitalised. She was blinded. The accident made her lost her eyesight. And it was the most terrible feeling she ever had. She remembered crying her heart out when Hwasa told her the truth.

But she somehow managed to get over it when the person she has been missing so badly appeared next to her; and has been taking care of her all this while. However, that person didn’t seem to be happy.

-

“I’m blind?!”

“Unnie, calm down. Things will get better.”

“LIKE HOW? I CANNOT SEE ANYMORE, HWASA!”

“Please, please calm down. You can’t aggravate your condition further.”

Moonbyul was trashing around on her bed; grabbing anything she could and started to throw around. She was devastated. She could hear Hwasa begging her to stay calm, but she was too enraged to be comforted; to be consoled. Her world has ended.

Then out of sudden, someone grabbed hold of her arms; pulled her inwards and then embraced Moonbyul tightly in her arms. Moonbyul recognized the warmth so she broke down and cried bitterly.

The arms around here grew tighter and a pair of soft lips gently grazed over her forehead.

“I’m here, Unnie. I’m here.”

“Wheein ah…”

Those moments she missed; the tortured times where she had been pining for Wheein; everything burst at the same time. Moonbyul cried her heart out; gripping onto Wheein tightly. The fear of not able to see didn’t seem to bother her anymore; just as long as Wheein was here with her.

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah. I didn’t mean to hurt you like I did before. I regret it. And I really wished I could turn back the hands of time – I should have approach you after that incident. I was a coward, Wheein; and after all this time, I know I don’t deserve you.”

“Don’t say anymore. It’s in the past now.”

“But Wheein, I haven’t stopped loving you. I love you more every day; every time when I miss you and all those moments and nights, I had dreams of you; of us together. I was searching for you; but you seemed to disappear into thin air. I even had thoughts of you killing yourself without anyone knowing or you left this country illegally so that I couldn’t find you anymore.”

“I’m sorry, Unnie. I was trying to find a cure for my mental illness. I was so tired of fighting within myself; getting hurt and hurting myself physically and emotionally. So, I checked in myself into an institute of mental health to get myself fixed.”

Moonbyul’s heart was breaking apart. Wheein must have been struggling so much and she was conveniently not there for her. She felt like she has let Wheein down.

“I’m so stupid, Wheein. I should have known you needed help. But I pushed you away instead.”

“No worries. I got better.”

“Someone was there for you, right?”

Wheein slowly pulled herself away from Moonbyul; since she couldn’t see; Wheein gently caressed Moonbyul’s cheeks. There was so much affection in that touch that Moonbyul’s heart was shattered into million pieces.

“She was there for me, right from the beginning to the end. She’s so patient with me; she has never given up on me; she gave me hope and showed me the light; the freedom she gave to me made me believe that I could be better than this. My monster hurt her a couple of times; I even punched her occasionally during the treatment, but she never retaliated. She was able to subdue my inner monster and nurtured my broken soul to who I am today.”

Moonbyul felt ashamed. Someone else was there to help Wheein. So, how could she say she loves Wheein when someone else was the one who stayed and believed in Wheein.

“Are you seeing her now? Hwasa said you are seeing someone.”

“Yes, she’s my girlfriend now.”

“Oh.”

“She must be beautiful.”

“She is. But I let her down.”

“Why?”

“Because I couldn’t make up my mind if she’s the one or you’re the one that I want to be with.”

“What? What are you talking about, Wheein?”

Wheein looked up; tears filled her eyes. She was probably dying inside. Her sad gaze was also killing Moonbyul inside.

“The moment I saw you that night, and when you said you still love me, I wanted to embrace you immediately. I missed you, Unnie. I really miss you so much. But the moment I saw her photo, my heart fell. She, the one who loves me unconditionally, I couldn’t do it to her.”

Moonbyul kept her silence. She felt great to know that Wheein still cares about her but at someone’s else expense.

“And she suggested that we should take a break so that I could be fair between you and her when I make the choice later.”

“Then where is she now?”

“She left the house early this morning; made me breakfast and a note saying that she would be working late tonight. I know she’s just going to avoid me.”

“You should go to her, Wheein. She’s the one who saved your soul.”

“I know but I just want to make sure that you’re fine too. I know you are devastated that you cannot see again but Moonbyul unnie, I’m going to be here for you. Hyejin is going to stay with you too. So, please don’t give up. At least for me and Hyejin.”

Wheein was hopeful; Moonbyul’s eyes were bandaged and the older woman remained silent. But nevertheless, she reached out for Wheein; Wheein instantly grabbed her hands.

“Thank you for still accepting me into your life, Wheein ah. I promise, I’ll remain calm.”

“Great. I’ll leave you to Hyejin’s care now. I need to look for her.”

“Sure.”

Wheein left; leaving Moonbyul in silence. Hyejin moved closer; Moonbyul could sense her. She reached out once again and Hyejin gladly grabbed her arms. Moonbyul immediately put her arms around Hyejin.

“She loves her.”

“I know, Unnie.”

“I’ll not pursue her.”

“I’m here, Unnie. I’m still here.”

“You will take me back, Hyejin ah?”

“I will. In a heartbeat.”

-

With a nagging worry at the back of her mind, Wheein drove recklessly. She had a very ominous feeling that she might not see Yongsun ever again. She ran down the hallway of the familiar hospital; greeting the nurses quickly and finally reached Yongsun’s office. But the door was closed and locked. Wheein kept knocking a couple of times until the director of the hospital spotted her.

“Wheein?”

Wheein was glad to meet him again. She quickly got up to him.

“Professor!”

“What are you doing here? Wow, you look good.”

“Thanks, I’m doing great. Listen, I’m looking for Yongsun unnie.”

“Dr Kim?”

“Yes, is she here?”

“Wheein ah, did something happen between the two of you?”

“Why? Is there something wrong?”

“Dr Kim tendered. She submitted her resignation letter this morning. Then she had like 2 months of paid leave not cleared; she tendered and took 2 months leave. Technically, she has left this hospital completely.”

Wheein was baffled. Her intuition was right.

-

Wheein rushed home after that. But it was too late. There was no sign of Yongsun but just a letter on the dining table. Wheein’s heart fell.

Wheein ah, I’m leaving now. I know you said not to disappear from your sight, but I can’t do that. I can’t just sit around; waiting for you to make your decision. There was just so much hesitation in your eyes. And last night, you called out her name while you were sleeping.

She must have meant so much to you. And I heard that she’s blind because of the accident. And I felt that she probably needs you even more now. You should stay with her.  I’ll be fine, Wheein. I’m just glad that you have recovered and living your life with your dream job.

I’m so proud of you, honestly. As much as I love you, I just feel that I cannot be selfish with my heart. To tell you the truth, I was crestfallen that night when I saw you at the hospital – the day she got into an accident. I called out to you; affectionately and desperately but you couldn’t hear me. Your heart couldn’t hear me at all.

That was when I knew. You love her so much that you never really move on from her. You just keep her inside and I’m just conveniently there for you. I know this is just my injunction but Wheein ah, I cannot control the weight in my heart; the pain that pulling me down. As much as I want you to be with me, but I can’t do that when it’s clear that she means more to you.

So, let me leave you now. I heard from Hwasa. She has been searching for you; she still loves you and she wants you to come back home. Maybe then, your monster will be erased forever because Wheein ah, your monster wants her. Subconsciously, you want her too.

Goodbye, Jung Wheein. I love you. And I’m sorry.

Kim Yongsun

-

Kim Yongsun took a quick detour to the hospital. Visiting hour was over but Yongsun got her friend from the gynaecologist department to bring her instead. She was there for a reason. She needed to see someone.

She wanted to visit someone.

She found the ward and walked in. That someone was sleeping soundly. Yongsun stood near the bed; looked at the person carefully and then sighed.

“So, you’re the one she couldn’t forget. You’re so lucky.”

Yongsun whispered softly.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. You will get to see her soon.”

-

Few days later, the doctor came with good news for Moonbyul. She was surprised when the doctor mentioned that she could see again. They found donated corneas for her.

“What?”

“If you agree to accept these corneas, we can perform the operation on you immediately.”

“Someone donated to me?”

The doctor smiled and then shook his head.

“Someone donated their organs to the hospital and you’re the first on the list to receive them.”

“You mean I can see again if I agree to this operation?”

“Yes.”

Hwasa was delighted. She quickly hugged Moonbyul as she cried hard. Moonbyul was still confused but this was the best news she heard since her accident.

“So, is this a yes?”

“Yes, please proceed.”

“Great! We will arrange for the paperwork to be done and prepare you for the operation.”

The doctor left with his nurses; leaving Moonbyul and Hwasa alone. This was perfect. Everything would be fine again. Moonbyul wouldn’t have to make her parents worried.

But she was curious as to why she was the first one to receive this.

“Don’t you think it’s weird?”

“Maybe Dr Park put you on the urgent list?”

“But I just got my accident few days ago. I’m pretty sure there are other people waiting for this too.”

“Beats me. But Unnie, this is great news! I’ll inform Wheein about this.”

Hwasa grabbed her phone and dialled for Wheein’s number while Moonbyul sat quietly on her bed. She couldn’t see the world and she felt worst for the past few days. Although this was good news for her, but she felt sceptical. Why would someone donate their corneas to her just like that?

“Unnie, Wheein is coming over now. She’s so happy for you.”

Moonbyul smiled; but her heart felt heavy.

-

Wheein dragged her feet against her office floor. She had been searching for Yongsun but to no avail. She even asked Eric if he heard anything. To her disappointment, Eric had no idea either.

“Yongsun’s missing?”

“Yes.. she quit her job and then she just disappeared..”

“What happened between the two of you?”

Wheein explained to him and at the end of the story, Eric slapped his forehead. Kim Yongsun, she’s still the same stupid woman Eric knew since university days.

“What do you mean, Oppa?”

“Yongsun’s afraid of heartache. She rather gives it up than to be the one broken. And whatever she’s doing right now, she’s giving you up so that you can be happy with your ex-flame.”

“But I want to be with her.”

“Wheein ah, Yongsun is a complicated woman. She’s fragile and vulnerable. Yet, she will not show the world that she is. She always acts that she’s stronger than you.”

“That’s why I’m worried now. I know I made a mistake and I know I broke her heart. But Eric Oppa, I cannot do without her now. I should have given her that confidence that I will never leave her. I shouldn’t have agreed to that break she wanted.”

“Wheein ah, you were saying your ex-flame is blind?”

“Yes, she is.”

“And now she’s getting corneas from a donator?”

“Yes, someone donated to the hospital.”

“Wheein ah, you need to check on the donator.”

“Why, Oppa?”

“Previousy, Yongsun donated her kidney to her ex-boyfriend and then left without a word. She left US because of that and returned to Seoul. I think she might sacrifice something again.”

Wheein’s eyes grew larger. Her heart sank. She quickly grabbed her handbag and car keys. She then took off quickly.

“Oppa, I need to go.”

“Sure, I will take care of the gallery today. Go find Yongsun!”

Wheein nodded and drove off.

-

Hwasa was waiting outside of Moonbyul’s ward. The nurses were checking on Moonbyul so she had to leave the room for a while. She was glad that Moonbyul’s eyesight can be regained once again. She was thankful to the person who donated but she was curious as well.

While waiting, Hwasa turned her observation to the people surrounding her. She saw nurses helping patients in wheelchairs; or pulling the IV drop standees as the patients calmly walking back to their wards. She saw family members visiting patients; doctors hung out together and discussing about something; and some volunteers in the hospital dealing with some problems the patients might face.

It was a busy morning and Hwasa suddenly realized she had been staying at the hospital for almost a week now. She hates hospitals; she hates the smell and the solemn atmosphere which often relates to death.

She hates all that. That’s why she wanted to get Moonbyul out of the hospital as quickly as she could, and the older woman implored her not to inform her parents about her accident. They would get into a fit if they find out. So, with this operation, Hwasa hoped that things would get better now.

However, the moment Wheein came into her mind, she was crestfallen. Few days ago, Wheein came to her alone. She needed someone to talk like how they did during their younger days.

“Are you with Unnie?”

“No, she’s sleeping.”

“Are you heading home?”

“No, Wheein. I have been staying with Unnie at the hospital.”

“Oh, then can I meet you for a while?”

“Is there something wrong?”

“Yongsun unnie is missing.”

Hwasa was stunned but nevertheless, immediately left Moonbyul’s room to meet up with Wheein who was waiting at the 24hr café nearby the hospital. Her eyes were red and Hwasa felt really sorry for Wheein.

“Hyejin ah..”

“What happened? What do you mean by Dr Kim’s missing?”

“She asked for a break. She said it is unfair that I held on to both women. I reluctantly agreed to it and made her promised that she wouldn’t disappear from my sight. But I guess, I must have broken her heart; hurt her so badly that she went off without telling me. And she quit her job and till now, I couldn’t find her.”

Hwasa closed her eyes tightly. She somehow knew Dr Kim would do this. She could see from Dr Kim’s facial expression; she would give up anything for Wheein’s happiness.

“Dr Kim is a kind woman.”

“She’s too kind. And I’m not doing justice to her. Remember when you asked me that question?”

Hwasa nodded.

“I cannot live without her, Hyejin ah. I want her. I want Kim Yongsun.”

-

It has been almost 2 weeks since Yongsun went missing. Wheein was still out there searching for her and she had asked to keep it from Moonbyul.

“This doesn’t concern her. So, please don’t tell her anything.”

“I promise. But do you need my help to find Dr Kim?”

“I need you to stay by Moonbyul unnie’s side. I cannot be there for her.”

“Don’t worry about that, Wheein ah. You just need to find Dr Kim. Bring her home.”

Wheein was determined to do so. But she would turn up to visit Moonbyul whenever she could. Hwasa sighed as she recalled Wheein’s sadness. She hoped for the best for her best friend.

Then suddenly, Hwasa heard someone calling out to another person.

“Yongsun ah!”

She looked up instantly and found a woman running after another. And the woman running ahead was too familiar to Hwasa. Her eyes grew larger.

“Dr Kim?!”

-

Wheein rushed to the hospital. Eric’s words still lingered in her mind. Yongsun would sacrifice herself for anything that can make her loved ones happy. And then she thought of Moonbyul’s condition. She was certain Yongsun was aware of her ex-flame’s condition.

“Please don’t tell me, she’s the one who donated those corneas!”

Wheein’s heart was thumping hard. She sped all the way to the hospital; fearing for the worst. If Yongsun really sacrificed herself for Wheein and Moonbyul, Wheein would regret this forever.

“This couldn’t be happening.”

-

Moonbyul was prepped for her operation. The nurses had taken her vital readings and then changed her into the operation gown.

“Okay, you can sit here for a while. We will get ready the rest for you.”

“Sure.”

Moonbyul was gently placed on the bed; she was preparing herself for the operation. She laid down and then closed her eyes. She couldn’t see anything; even when she opened her eyes; she was still blinded. It was the scariest feeling Moonbyul ever had.

“Miss Moon, we will give you some relaxant medication. You seem tense. Your operation will only be in the afternoon. But we need to prepare your body for it.”

“Okay, so this will help me to calm down?”

“Yes, just relax. It will be fine.”

“Thank you for your concern.”

They administered the medication and Moonbyul instantly felt her body relaxed. Then she overhead the nurses whispering among themselves. She wasn’t really sure if they were talking about anything related to her, but she heard a familiar name.

“Dr Kim Yongsun is a great woman. She would do anything for her loved ones.”

“Yeah, Miss Moon is really lucky.”

Dr Kim Yongsun. Wait a minute. Isn’t that Wheein’s doctor?

But Moonbyul couldn’t resist the medication. She was drifting to slumber instead.

-

Hwasa was searching for Dr Kim. She saw her earlier on; she was running away from someone. But she lost sight of them; and now Hwasa was frantically searching for Dr Kim. She saw Dr Kim entering the lift just 10 minutes ago and she took note of the floor Dr Kim had last stopped. It showed level 3.

Level 3? Hwasa checked the floors and her heart sank. Level 3 was where Ophthalmologists were located. And these are the specialist for eye conditions. Dr Kim is a psychiatrist. Hwasa was feeling uneasy; so instead of waiting for the lift; she ran up the stairs.

If Dr Kim was going to sacrifice her eyes for Moonbyul, then Hwasa rather she didn’t. Wheein would be devasted.

“Dr Kim, please don’t do this to Wheein. Not this way, Dr Kim. Wheein would be heartbroken if you do.”

-

Wheein parked her car carelessly. She ran towards the hospital with a heavy heart. Just then, her phone rang, Hwasa was calling. She answered quickly.

“Wheein ah! Where are you?!”

“I’m at the hospital. Is everything okay? What happened to Moonbyul unnie?”

She assumed something had happened to Moonbyul. Hwasa was too rigid and her voice was panicky.

“No, it’s not Unnie. Come up to level 3 straight.”

“Why? Isn’t that where all the eye doctors located?”

“Yes, come up to level 3. I just saw Dr Kim earlier on and I lost her at the lift. Now, I’m searching on level 3. I saw her lift stopped at this level.”

Wheein stopped abruptly. Her heart was breaking apart.

“What did you say? You saw who?”

“Dr Kim. Your girlfriend. She’s in the hospital. And she’s now on level 3. I’m looking for Moonbyul’s doctor as well. Wheein ah, I just have this uneasy feeling about Dr Kim being here.”

Wheein didn’t wait any longer. She ran all the way up to level 3.

-

Dr Kim Yongsun was with Moonbyul’s eye surgeon. They were discussing about something. And Dr Kim was all serious and solemn.

“Dr Kim, I have been meaning to ask.”

“What is it?”

“Why Miss Moon? Is she related to you?”

Dr Kim smiled and then nodded.

“She’s someone important to my important person.”

“You mean Miss Anh?”

“No, Miss Jung Wheein.”

“Miss Jung? How is she related to you?”

“She’s someone I really care about. And Miss Moon is important to her.”

“You’re doing it again, aren’t you?”

“Hm?”

“Kim Yongsun, you donated your kidney to that man who didn’t deserve anything from you. You loved too much and now you’re doing it for the woman you love.”

“That’s my nature. I give too much.”

“But this is too much of a gesture. Will they appreciate it?”

Dr Kim Yongsun just smiled. At this point, she couldn’t care anymore.

-

“Hyejin ah!”

The two best friends caught up with each other. Hwasa gestured her to come over.

“Did you find her?”

“No, I couldn’t find her anywhere. And I couldn’t find Unnie’s doctor either.”

“No, this cannot be happening!”

“Wheein, calm down.”

“I can’t! I just found out from Eric oppa. Yongsun unnie would sacrifice herself for the sake of her loved ones. If she thinks by donating her eyes to Moonbyul unnie would make me feel better, she’s wrong! I’m feeling like now!”

Hwasa wasn’t surprised with that revelation anymore. She already knew Dr Kim is a kind woman.

“Then the more you need to calm down. We need to find Dr Kim and Dr Park now.”

-

“You’re too late. Dr Park is preparing for Miss Moon’s operation now.”

“You mean she’s in the operating theatre now?”

“Yes, and Miss Moon is inside too.”

“What? I thought her operation is at 5 today?”

“Dr Park decided to push forward. The corneas are ready for transplant now.”

“No, we have to stop this!  You need to tell us who is the person who donated the corneas to Miss Moon!”

“I cannot reveal to you, Miss Jung. This is under the protocol.”

“I don’t care! I need to know!”

Wheein struggled so hard with the nurse but Hwasa managed to pull her back. She grabbed hold of Wheein and hugged her tightly. The nurse was livid but kept her cool.

“I can only reveal her surname to you. If you really need to know.”

“Yes, please. This is important to Miss Jung.”

“Her surname is Kim.”

Wheein fainted instantly.

-