Second Chapter

I Still Do

Hwasa arrived at the auction dinner. She was invited by Moonbyul and she gladly accepted the invitation. She had not seen Moonbyul for a couple of months and now finally she had time. She was parking her car when she stumbled upon another lady who had difficulty with her food basket.

She quickly rushed up to the poor lady and offered her a hand. She managed to grab hold of the basket before the lady fell to the floor.

“Oh my god! Are you alright?”

“Ah, thanks. Yes, I’m fine.”

“You seem to be struggling with the basket. Do you need me to help you?”

“It’s okay, I just missed my footing. I can get very clumsy at times.”

“Oh, it’s fine. High heels can be a sometimes.”

“Exactly!”

“Okay then, I’ll get on my way now. You sure you will be fine?”

“Yeah, thank you so much for your help!”

Hwasa nodded before making her way to the gallery.  But she managed to turn once again; the young lady was going the same way as she did before she disappeared into another entrance. The gallery was quite huge.

“Hm? She’s not attending the auction? Oh well, maybe she’s visiting someone.”

Hwasa thought to herself before she disappeared in between the crowd. She moved around the area; she could see many big shots; big names and some celebrities mingled around. She knows a few of them but she wasn’t interested to socialize with them. She wanted to meet Moonbyul.

Few minutes, she spotted Moonbyul but she was at the far end of the gallery; Moonbyul couldn’t hear her calling out for her.

“Geez, this woman.”

She then noticed Moonbyul was leaving to the other side of gallery; she followed suit.  Then she realized Moonbyul was heading to the office instead of the auction hall.

“Where is this woman going?”

Hwasa was still following her; before Moonbyul disappeared with one of the workers from the gallery.  Hwasa deduced Moonbyul was there for some business call since Moonbyul’s the finance manager. She must be on her way to meet the gallery’s owner.

She continued to follow from behind until she somehow banged into someone. She was about to fall when that person managed to grab hold of her arm; preventing her from embarrassing herself.

“Oh my god!”

“Hey, it’s you!”

Hwasa finally relaxed when she realized it was the same woman at the car park.

“So, it’s your turn to help me out. We are both clumsy women.”

“Nah, it’s just our instinct.”

“Haha! Anyway, I haven’t really introduced myself.”

“Oh! That’s right. I’m Yongsun, and this is my name card.”

Hwasa took the card and took a quick peek. Dr Kim Yongsun, a psychiatrist.

“Oh, Dr Kim.”

“Nah, just call me Yongsun.”

“Right. My name is Hyejin. Anh Hyejin.”

“Oh, hello Hyejin. Are you heading somewhere?”

“I was following my friend but then I got clumsy and knocked into you instead.”

“I see. I’m on the way to meet my girlfriend. She seems busy; she hasn’t been answering my calls.”

“Ah, I see. I’ll get going then. I’ll see you around.”

“Sure, same to you too!”

Hwasa smiled before she moved quickly behind the wall. There was a staircase that led up to the second level of the gallery. She finally saw a glass door which seemed to be an office inside. It was probably the administration office.

But before she could step into the room, someone abruptly pulled the door in and Hwasa almost fell on her face again. The person just stormed off without helping her; and Hwasa couldn’t get up in time to see the person.

“What the hell. Are you serious?!”

Hwasa cursed under her breath. Someone was indeed in an extreme foul mood. Then she suddenly heard a familiar sob. She recognized that sob. It was the same cries she heard before – Moon Byulyi.

“Moonbyul?”

She called out softly; she was certain that the woman was in the room. She then saw another office door was left wide open; she quickly rushed in. She spotted Moonbyul; on the floor; with her knees close to her chest; sobbing her heart out.

“Unnie!”

She quickly sat next to Moonbyul; pulled her closer and hugged her tightly. Did the person hurt her earlier on?

“What happened? Why are you on the floor crying like this? Who was that just now? Did the person hurt you?”

Moonbyul shook her head; tears profusely rolled down her cheeks. She was in pain; Hwasa knew that look on her face. The same look she saw when Moonbyul was discharged from the hospital.

-

“Unnie?”

Hwasa turned up at the hospital since it was the day Moonbyul was discharged. She was admitted for almost a week and now, she was able to go home.

“Hwasa?”

Moonbyul’s voice was soft and almost inaudible. There was still bandage around her forehead and the scars and abrasion on her knees and arms were slowly healing. She looked battered but Hwasa knew her heart was shattered into million pieces. Because the person she loves the most hurt her like this.

“Unnie, are you feeling better?”

“My head still hurts. And my cheeks swollen.”

Wheein punched her a couple of times like some sort of demon. Hwasa knew that wasn’t the real Wheein; the Wheein she knew is not capable of such violence. But still, Wheein hurt Moonbyul; she hurt the person Hwasa loves the most.

“The doctor said there’s nothing serious with your injuries. You require a lot of rest though.”

“Oh, that’s great. That’s why I can go home today.”

Hwasa nodded. Shortly after, Moonbyul’s parents came. They were delighted to find Hwasa in the room with Moonbyul instead of the crazy monster.

“Thank god, it’s you, Hwasa. I thought that monster is here.”

Moonbyul frowned.

“What monster?”

“The one who hit you?”

“She’s not a monster, Omma.”

“She is now. And don’t worry about it. She’s in prison now.”

“What?”

“Your father got her arrested and now she’s in the jail. We have charged her for assault and ordered a restraining order on her. She will never get close to you ever again.”

“Is that necessary?”

“Byul ah, nobody hit my daughter. Not even your father or myself. And this sick monster got you beaten up like this. Don’t you ever dare to look for her again! Break up with her, Hwasa’s here to look after you.”

Moonbyul didn’t say anything much after that. Hwasa felt guilty towards Wheein but she witnessed Wheein’s capability to hurt someone. She was not going to let that happen to Wheein anymore. Just then, Moonbyul stretched her hand out and gripped Hwasa’s left hand tightly.

They didn’t say anything but just a tight grip of each other hands. Hwasa knew Moonbyul was struggling with her heartache but she was afraid as well.

“I’ll protect you, Unnie. Wheein will never hurt you again.”

-

Days went to weeks and then turned into months. Exactly one month after the incident, Moonbyul was slowly getting on her feet. She stayed away from Wheein just like how her parents wanted her; Hwasa avoided Wheein too. She did that because she has just become Moonbyul’s girlfriend. The girl asked her one day.

“Are you sure this is what you want, Unnie?”

“Why?”

“You didn’t really break it off with Wheein.”

“I think she understands.”

“That’s unfair to her, Unnie.”

“I’m afraid of her, Hyejin ah.”

Hyejin is Hwasa’s real name. Only Wheein and Moonbyul knew.

“Let’s meet her. I’ll be with you.”

“Are you sure?”

“We have to face her somehow. And I’m feeling guilty that I’m doing this behind her back. And you are responsible too.”

Moonbyul looked down on the concrete floor.  Hwasa was right. She was responsible too. And Wheein probably needed her more than ever before but she was determined to break it off.

She wanted to break free from Wheein’s insecurities.

-

“What do you mean by that?”

“Let’s break off. I can’t be with you anymore.”

Wheein was in disbelief.  Moonbyul begged her to meet up and Wheein thought she wanted to reconcile. But in the end, Moonbyul just wanted to break her heart apart once again.

“If you cant be with me, then who are you going to be with?”

“Hyejin. Hyejin has been taking good care of me for the last few months. I want to be with her. She loves me better than you.”

Right then, Wheein stood up; clenching her fists tightly. And Hyejin immediately stood in front of Moonbyul; covering her. If Wheein was going to hurt anyone again, it would be her. Not Moonbyul.

Because if Wheein did it on Moonbyul, she would be put away longer than she did previously. Hyejin found out Wheein was in jail for two weeks before she was released. Mr Moon decided to withdraw the charges for some reason. Maybe Moonbyul persuaded her father not to pursue it.

“Wheein, please control yourself.”

“Shut up, Hyejin.”

“Look, Moonbyul’s afraid of you. She can’t be with you because she’s terrified of you now. You hurt her, Wheein.”

“And I’m not hurt too? I didn’t want to meet her. Yet she begged me to. And now that I’m here, she breaks my heart again, carelessly. So, am I not supposed to feel pain for that?”

Hyejin’s eyes teared up. Out of sudden, she felt sorry and her heart was hurting because the real Wheein was back. The real, soft-hearted kind Wheein was the one in front of her right now.

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah. We didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“Forget it. Maybe I mean nothing to you or her anymore. Do whatever you want. And stay away from me. Because I cannot guarantee you if my monster will ever hurt you again.”

Wheein then turned to Moonbyul. Her eyes were red; filled with tears.

“Maybe it was a mistake to be with you. Maybe our first meeting was a mistake too. Everything that linked the two of us together was just a huge mistake that it shouldn’t happen. I’ll take responsible of that.”

“Wheein ah..”

“When I said goodbye the last time, I didn’t mean it then. But now, I guess I’ll break up with you for real.”

“Wheein..”

Moonbyul couldn’t say anymore. She looked on; with so much pain inside.

“Goodbye, Moon Byulyi.”

“Will I see you again, Wheein?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea that we should ever cross paths again.”

“What does that mean?”

Hyejin interjected. She didn’t like the sound of that.

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure you’ll never see me ever again.”

-

They went back to Jeonju with high hopes. Hwasa, for the first time ever, wished Wheein would be at her home. She wanted to meet Wheein so badly. The girl left without saying anything and now she has been missing. Like as though she disappeared into thin air.

So, being back in their hometown, Hwasa’s memories played like a broken record at the back of her time. Every little step Hwasa took; it was the same route that she used to walk with Wheein. Those happy memories they shared together came rushing back into Hwasa’s mind.

Her heart was breaking piece by piece. She suddenly remembered how much she adored Wheein. How much they were often together; and those promises they used to make before heading to Seoul to pursue something better.

Her mind wandered off before she felt Moonbyul putting her hand on hers. She slowly looked down at their tangled hands; her heart immediately broke. She broke her best friend’s heart; love and all that Wheein used to have.

She looked away; before Moonbyul pulled her closer. The older woman knew Hwasa was fighting back her tears. Their hometown held beautiful memories of Wheein.

“Did we do something wrong, Unnie?”

“I don’t know.”

“My heart cannot stop this pain. This pain of not having Wheein with me right now, I can’t seem to think past this anymore.”

Moonbyul understood. She knew she was the reason why the two best friends became distant and almost enemies.

“I’m sorry, Hyejin. I’m really sorry.”

“No, it’s not your fault. Not everything is your fault. I have my fair share of mistakes too. And my biggest mistake was to hurt my best friend in the cruellest way possible.”

Hwasa then looked up; her heart was aching.

“Yet I love you so much, Unnie. And I don’t want to let you go either. I have never been so selfish before and I’m terrified with this new side of me.”

“I’ll stay with you. I promise. I just want to make sure Wheein’s alright.”

“I understand.”

“Let’s find Wheein and help her. I know you still care about me just like how I care about her now.”

But as much determination they had, their will was crushed when Wheein’s guardian informed the horrible truth.

“Wheein? She has not been contacting me for years now. She has not returned to this house since the day she left for Seoul. I thought she was with you, Hwasa?”

That was the worst news Hwasa had ever received in her entire life.

Wheein’s missing. They couldn’t find her anymore.

-

Almost 10 months since Wheein left without a word and been missing from their lives, the couple couldn’t move on from whatever they had. Moonbyul promised she would stay but now, she wasn’t too sure if she could.

Moonbyul had been crying to herself lately. And Hwasa had been focusing on work too much to avoid losing herself to pain – pain of not having Wheein with her. Both were torturing themselves; hurting each other and broken because of Wheein.

One night, Hwasa was leaning against her chair. She had just finished recording some new singles for her new boyband and they have since left. One of the songs was written by one of the members. That song stuck on Hwasa’s mind for the longest time. The lyrics pulled her heart strings.

“I don’t know where I’m at; I’m standing at the back and I’m tired of waiting. Waiting here in line; hoping that I’ll find; what I’ve been chasing; I shot for the sky; I’m stuck on the ground, so why do I try, I know I’m gonna fall down; I thought I could fly; so why did I drown? I never know why; It’s coming down, down, down.

I’m not ready to let go; ‘cause then I’d never know; what I could be missing. But I’m missing way too much; so when do I give up; what I’ve been wishing for; I shot for the sky; I’m stuck on the ground; so why do I try; I know I’m gonna fall down; I thought I could fly; so why did I drown? I never know why, it’s coming down, down, down…”

She was searching for her own happiness; won over her love but Hwasa felt like she was still waiting for something more. Did she think she could mend those broken strings of her friendship with Wheein? Was she waiting for that to happen? Then what was her relationship with Moonbyul made of?

She couldn’t blame Moonbyul. She couldn’t blame anyone but herself. She closed her eyes tightly; tears fell from the corner of her eyes. Just then, she felt someone wiping her tear streaks from her cheeks. She opened her eyes slowly to find Moonbyul staring at her; eyes red and swollen.

It was evident that she has been crying for the longest time. Hwasa finally understood the meaning of true love. What she had with Moonbyul was love; but a pitiful love. What Moonbyul had with Wheein was love; they fell in love; they built that relationship based on love.

What she had with Moonbyul was built on self-pity; fear and selfishness. Both wanted the easiest way out – that was to leave Wheein on the lurch; thinking that they had found salvation for each other. Hwasa suspected Moonbyul felt the same way she did.

“You have been crying.”

“This heart couldn’t stop hurting no matter how much I tried.”

“You should stop trying then.”

“But it isn’t fair to you.”

“This love is built on selfish, Unnie. We were never fair towards Wheein in the first place.”

“But you took care of me sincerely.”

“Yeah, that’s why you love me out of gratitude; out of fear of Wheein. But now that the storm is over; the calm wind of Wheein’s memories embedded into your heart and mind; that’s why you cannot be at rest. You want to find Wheein.”

Moonbyul cried once again. And Hwasa smiled.

“I thought I could love you the way Wheein did. But I guess, her love is so special that you couldn’t forget how it felt to be with Wheein; to be in love with her.”

“I realized it too late. I admit. I still love Wheein and the love keeps growing every second that I’m missing her; thinking of her and wishing that I could turn back the hands of time and goes straight to find her after I was discharged. That was the only thing I kept regretting about.”

Hwasa’s heart didn’t hurt when she heard those sincere, truth from Moonbyul. She felt relieved; she loved Moonbyul’s honesty. She nodded and then pulled Moonbyul closer.

“Let’s break up then. Let’s find her and beg for her forgiveness. Let’s mend our broken hearts together; the 3 of us.”

“But Wheein disappeared into thin air. We cannot find anything on her; she’s missing. She’s in this country but just blending with the wind. How can we find her?”

“As long as there’s no news of Wheein’s death, I’ll assume that she’s still alive; living her life to the fullest or maybe she’s happier than she was before.”

“I hope so. And if she’s happier than she was before, I’d give up on her. I’ll not ask her to come back.”

“Why not?”

“Because I broke her heart first. And I broke it further into pieces. So, if there’s someone out there who puts her heart back together, then I’ll walk away.”

Moonbyul cried as she spoke that last sentence. And Hwasa could only pull her closer and hugged her tightly.

Hwasa thought she could fly; but she was shot down instead.

-

Yongsun pouted her lips. She has been calling Wheein for the last 5 minutes, but the girlfriend just wouldn’t answer her calls.  So, she waited at the staff lounge with the food basket on the table. Just then, she spotted someone storming off. From the silhouette, it looked like Wheein. She ran after her.

“Wheein ah!”

Wheein finally stopped walking. She abruptly turned around; her facial expression was tensed up and her angry eyes were red. Yongsun remembered this look – it was the first look Wheein had when she met Yongsun for the first time.

“Wheein? What’s wrong?”

Wheein kept her silence; the happy Wheein was gone. It was being replaced by the sullen and depressed Wheein – the same Wheein Yongsun knew for the first time.

“Sweetie? Are you alright?”

Wheein was ignoring Yongsun but her angry gaze was fixated on Yongsun. She was dead silence; her fiery gaze was too burdened to look at; the whole atmosphere was too overwhelming but Yongsun kept her cool. Something must have triggered her girlfriend.

So, Yongsun gently stretched her hands out; slowly walking up to Wheein and then pulled the younger woman closer to her chest. She warmly embraced Wheein in her arms; then quietly swayed the woman in her arms from left to right; humming softly in Wheein’s ears.

“I’m here, baby.”

She whispered softly. Seconds later, Yongsun felt Wheein’s arms around her back; tightly hugging her and a soft sobbing could be heard coming out from Wheein. Yongsun’s heart shattered; but she remained strong. She had to be the pillar. She’s Wheein’s strength.

“I love you, Jung Wheein.”

Her last attempt to break Wheein’s anger worked. Wheein murmured the same back to her.

“I love you too, Unnie.”

It was soft and almost inaudible but Yongsun could feel Wheein relaxed in her arms. And that was the only thing she wanted from Wheein for now.

-

“You saw Wheein?”

“Yes, she’s the manager of this gallery. It suits her. This is her dream job.”

“But does she recognize you?”

“She didn’t say anything. She just took off.”

“So, that person who knocked into me was Wheein?”

“Wheein’s alive, Hyejin ah! She’s alive and well. She looks better than she used to. And I think she’s seeing someone.”

Hwasa turned to look at Moonbyul; her voice was soft and there was a sad smile on her face.

“Are you really going to give up on her like that?”

“I wasn’t with her when she needed me the most.”

So was Hwasa. But it seemed like Moonbyul resigned to her fate that quickly. And of course, Hwasa would love to meet Wheein again. Now they know where they could locate Wheein; they decided to come back when it’s a better time. Moonbyul has her business card.

“Look at her business card. Gabrielle Jung W.I. Doesn’t it suit her?”

Moonbyul was smiling with tears in her eyes while Hwasa looked on. Gabrielle was her baptised name. Wheein must have really changed.

“I just hope she’s happier than she was before.”

Hwasa nodded and wished the same.

-

Wheein sat in silence while Yongsun drove. The silence was deafening but Wheein appreciated Yongsun’s sensitivity. Yongsun never asked further; didn’t probe Wheein to tell her what happened earlier on. She left it as it was and just quietly took her back to the car.

Yongsun then drove off; with no destination in mind. She never asked Wheein if she wanted to head home; so she just drove around town quietly. Soon, they were approaching the rural area; the sun was setting down as well.

The bright orange sky was slowly turning into darkness; so was Wheein’s heart. Her monster was desperate to escape earlier on but Wheein ran off before it appears. In that split second where her skies turned grey above her head; Wheein thought of Yongsun.

How Yongsun always kept her monster at bay; how many million times she managed to hurt Yongsun with her fists; the way Yongsun held Wheein when she had the chance; before the monster was fully in rage.

She was not going to hurt anyone anymore. She promised to herself. Of all many people who could control her demons inside; her raging monster; Wheein knew it was her own self. Herself; to control that demon; that crazy monster in her.

So, upon seeing Moonbyul once again, all hell broke loose. Wheein could feel the fiery rage seeping through her bloodstreams and slowly into her heart; her mind and subsequently, awakened her monster. It was her own self-conscience; if she let herself down again; she would hurt Yongsun once more.

And she definitely wouldn’t want to hurt the person whom she used to love before – Moon Byulyi.

-

“Wheein?!”

Moonbyul was stunned when she found Wheein in the doorway. There was a sweet smile on Wheein’s face which was quickly replaced with a grimace and then, a pair of fiery eyes staring at her; frowning furiously.

“What are you doing here?”

Moonbyul was too excited that she had forgotten about Wheein’s fiery violence. She quickly ran up to Wheein and hugged the poor woman tightly. Wheein was left defenceless. She tried so hard to forget Moonbyul; their past and their memories. She thought she succeeded but upon seeing Moonbyul once more; she felt angry.

She was furious at herself. Eventually, she pushed Moonbyul away. She clenched her fists tightly; keeping them by her sides; her mind was filled with painful memories. Those broken lies; those lonely nights when Moonbyul abandoned her and left with her best friend – all came rushing into her mind.

“Wheein?”

Moonbyul finally realized she was unwelcomed; greeted by Wheein’s silence. She knew Wheein wasn’t too thrilled to see her again. So, she took a step back and lowered her head down.

“I’m sorry, Wheein.”

She whispered; with her soft voice. But Wheein just remained quiet.

“I know you’re badly hurt; you’re probably broken, and you probably hate me now. But Wheein ah, I have been searching for you. I felt so lonely when you left. I was restless and I couldn’t be at peace until I find you. But you disappeared into thin air, Wheein ah. And I only have regrets as I pray and wish you that you’ll return to me one day.”

Moonbyul swallowed hard; the words were not assuring enough. She could feel Wheein’s rage even though they were standing at least 3m apart from each other. Wheein’s blooded-red eyes were enough to tell Moonbyul how much Wheein hated this moment. This moment of seeing her again.

But Moonbyul was selfish. And she felt like she wouldn’t get another chance again if she didn’t express her pain; her regrets; her sorrows and her love for Wheein once again.

“I know I don’t have the right to say this, Wheein. But I – I still love you. And I miss you so much.”

Wheein’s tears fell instantly. Her once broken heart felt relieved out of sudden. Like the rocks on her shoulders were lifted and Wheein felt light. Like as though everything that was suppressed before were finally free.

“Wheein, I still care a lot about you. And I still want to be with you. If you allow me to come home to you, I’ll do it in a heartbeat.”

That was frightening. Wheein felt scared. She almost wanted to embrace Moonbyul when she saw a photo of her and Yongsun hanging on the wall. Yongsun was smiling; and it hurt Wheein so badly. How could this person who cut her heart into pieces could easily penetrate her heart while Yongsun, the gentlest person she ever met; took months to do so?

How could she do that? Why did she allow Moonbyul to manipulate her once more?

So, instead of answering Moonbyul, Wheein stormed off instead. She wasn’t ready to fall once more. And she needed to run to that person who healed her heart.

Kim Yongsun.

Wheein just wanted that one person now. She was desperate for Yongsun to save her soul once more. And just like as though God heard her prayers, Yongsun called out to her.

Wheein felt relieved but the moment her eyes met Yongsun, she felt guilty.

She was guilty because she almost embraced Moonbyul.

She felt stupid because she almost fell for Moonbyul’s words once again.

She was irked because she felt like as though she had let Yongsun down for that split seconds.

So, she kept her silence when Yongsun called out to her a couple of times. But Yongsun’s hug crumbled her insides. When Yongsun took her in and embraced her in her arms, Wheein felt like her world had crushed her in.

“I love you.”

God, it hurt Wheein so much. She needed to return to her senses.

“I love you too, Unnie.”

That was a white lie – a lie that Wheein needed to say before something else happen.

-

Yongsun sat on the bench; Wheein followed her. She took her seat next to Yongsun and then looked out at the vast world ahead of them. Yongsun drove them up the mountain; it was an overnight drive and Yongsun was visibly tired.  Wheein felt sorry that Yongsun had to handle her nonsense once again.

Wheein reached out for Yongsun’s hand; interlinked their fingers together and gripped it tightly. Wheein refused to let go of this grip because she was mentally tired now. And afraid that she might lose Yongsun if she let Moonbyul in.

Yongsun looked at her girlfriend before giving her a warm smile. She caressed her thumb above Wheein’s; giving her assurance that she’s not leaving at all.

“It’s a beautiful morning.”

She commented. Above the blue sky; migratory birds were flying overhead; having a beautiful formation. Yongsun smiled at the wonderful sight; she sighed; contented that she could be here with Wheein. But inside Wheein; she was struggling with the truth in her heart.

Does she love Yongsun? Or is she still pining for Moonbyul’s return that she almost wanted to let her in once more?

So, without considering of the consequences, Wheein blurted out the truth.

“I saw Moonbyul last night; in my office.”

The words were simple, but the underlying meaning of those words were heavy. Yongsun took a deep breath. She should have known.

“Did you say hello?”

“I couldn’t.”

“You still hate her?”

“I’m not sure.”

“You still cannot forgive her?”

Wheein kept quiet. And Yongsun smiled.

“If you still find it hard to forgive her, that probably means that you still love her.”

How did Yongsun hit the jackpot so easily? How could she read Wheein’s mind so quickly?

“I’m a psychiatrist. We are trained to decipher words; understand feelings and analyse broken hearts; broken minds and bruised hearts to know how we could help them. And I know. I know that it’s not easy for you to move on from her.”

Wheein closed her eyes; tears fell. She hated this moment; she wanted to refuse to admit the truth of her complicated heart, but she couldn’t hide it from Yongsun.

And she thought Yongsun deserves better.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, Wheein. It’s your choice.”

“I’m sorry. I’m confused now.”

“Then take your time. Find the truth in your heart. Wheein, I want you to do that because I love you. And I only want happiness for you.”

“I don’t want to lose you, Unnie. I don’t want to lose you like this.”

Yongsun shook her head.

“I’m not leaving until you tell me so.”

Yongsun then put her hand into her pocket; gripping the ring box tightly in her hand. Probably, it was not her time yet.

Her heart hurt like crazy.

-

Hwasa and Moonbyul sat across the café; located in front of the café. They were at the gallery the whole night; and then in the morning they decided to wait for Wheein at the nearby café. Moonbyul wanted to stay behind; she wanted to talk to Wheein.

But Hwasa’s heart was heavy. Last night in Wheein’s office, she chanced upon a photo on the wall. Moonbyul’s back was facing the wall so she couldn’t see it. But Hwasa could; really clear in her eyes.

The same woman she met at the carpark; the one she had a short conversation with before she found Moonbyul crying in the office in the photo. She was hugging Wheein; her smile was warm, and it was clear to Hwasa that this woman means something to Wheein.

And she remembered Dr Kim mentioned that she was there; waiting for her girlfriend. And it was not difficult to understand the mayhem unfolding in front of her eyes. Dr Kim is Wheeins’ new girlfriend.

“Do you think she will come back?”

“You heard one of her helpers said. They are preparing for the next event. I don’t think Wheein will ditch her responsibility as the manager of this gallery.”

“What if she refuses to see us?”

“Unnie, I think it’s more of whether we are brave enough to meet her.”

Moonbyul nodded. The pair settled down for some breakfast and coffee. Then someone entered the café; complete with black power skirt and white blouse. She looked incredibly smart with that outfit and Hwasa immediately recognised that person.

“Unnie, give me a second.”

“Sure.”

Hwasa quickly ran up to the counter and tapped on the person’s back. She turned; and recognizing Hwasa before greeting her.

“Hello! We met again!”

“Hi, Dr Kim. Yes, we met again.”

“Yeah, so did you find the person you have been searching for?”

“Yeah, sort of.”

“Oh good.”

Dr Kim smiled; but this time around, it didn’t reach to her ears. Her eyes were a little swollen and red. Hwasa wondered if something happened last night.

“Did you find your girlfriend?”

Her smile suddenly faded; but nevertheless, Dr Kim nodded.

“Is everything okay? You look pale.”

“I’m okay, I guess.”

“Did something happen?”

Dr Kim seemed distracted when asked that question. Hwasa wondered if something happened between her and Wheein. But Dr Kim just smiled and shook her head.

“I think I’m just tired. Anyway, I gotta go.”

“Sure, we will meet again, hopefully.”

Dr Kim smiled before leaving the café.  Hwasa watched as she walked down the street and as what she expected, she turned in to the gallery. So, it was confirmed. Dr Kim is indeed Wheein’s girlfriend.

And what was going to happen now?

Should she tell Moonbyul about this?

“Hyejin ah, what are you doing over the counter?”

“Oh, just ordering some drink. I’m thirsty.”

“Ah, get me orange juice, please.”

“Okay, unnie.”

Hwasa stared at Moonbyul from afar. Maybe she should be honest this time. If it hurt so badly, then she would just stay by Moonbyul’s side like how she has been doing all this while.

-

Meanwhile, Wheein was sitting on the sofa at the staff lounge. She couldn’t concentrate on her job since the last conversation with Yongsun last night left both crying their hearts out. She hated herself. She really did.

And when she woke up this morning, Yongsun was already gone. She knew Yongsun was avoiding her so that she wouldn’t get swayed or perhaps Yongsun was hiding her pain from Wheein. Like she has mentioned before, she only wanted happiness for Jung Wheein.

Just then, her assistant came with a bag of donuts and a cup of hot coffee. She smiled widely as she placed it in front of Wheein. The lady looked up.

“What’s this?”

“Oh, Dr Kim left it at the counter and asked to pass it to you.”

“Dr Kim’s here?”

“Yeah, I told her you’re at the lounge, but she said she was getting late for work. She requested me to send this to you instead.”

“Is she still there?”

“I think she’s at the parking lot.”

Wheein quickly got up and ran towards the parking lot. True enough, Yongsun was getting ready to drive out. Wheein jumped in front of her car. Yongsun had to break hard; really hard.

“YA! JUNG WHEEIN!”

Yongsun was beyond terrified. She could have run down her girlfriend if she wasn’t alert enough.  She quickly got out of the car and ran up to her girlfriend.

“What do you think you were doing?!”

Wheein allowed Yongsun to vent her anger at her. The older woman even resorted to hit Wheein’s in her chest. Wheein took it; took every punch in her chest and not doing anything. If Yongsun could feel better with every punch, Wheein would take in all of them.

“Answer me!”

Yongsun finally stopped screaming. Her heart was in so much pain; her eyes were so red and swollen and that hurt Wheein so much. She took a step forward and pulled Yongsun closer to her; she embraced the older woman tightly. Then she broke down.

“This is really hard. I hate myself for putting you through this. You cured me; you saved me but why? Why couldn’t I just look at that and throw her away from my memories; from my heart and my life?”

Yongsun closed her eyes shut. Tears spilling out from the corner of her eyes.

“I love you, Unnie. I really do. Yet I hurt you like this.”

“Maybe you should meet her.”

“No! I will never do that.”

“You know she’s looking for you. And now that she found you, she will never let you go.”

Wheein shook her head and held Yongsun tighter. She felt like if she were to let go, she would lose Yongsun completely.

“I’m giving you time to decide and make choices, Wheein. You should meet her and then decide what’s the best for your future.”

“Unnie..”

“I’ll be waiting.”

Yongsun then pulled away and wiped Wheein’s tears away. She smiled and then gently planted a kiss on Wheein’s forehead.

“I need to get to work now.”

“Don’t avoid me, Unnie. Please.”

“I’ll never do that. Trust me.”

Wheein felt worse than she did this morning. She felt like she was unworthy for Kim Yongsun.

-

Across the street, Hwasa witnessed everything.  Moonbyul was still in the café; pondering what she should say when she meets Wheein. So, Hwasa decided to step out for a second for fresh air when she saw Wheein jumped in front of Yongsun’s car.

She watched them; her heart was breaking apart when she saw Yongsun struggled to be optimistic and Wheein looking all confused and tormented. When Yongsun finally left the area, Wheein was still standing there; staring ahead as Yongsun’s car disappeared in the background.

Hwasa looked on; Wheein’s teary eyes were completely swollen and she felt sorry for Wheein. Then Wheein finally turned around and spotted Hwasa staring at her.

She was stunned. And Hwasa, she felt like running away but now she knew she couldn’t. The 3 of them; no wait, the 4 of them including Yongsun were involved now. They needed closure.

Hwasa bravely walked over to Wheein who was still staring at her. Her heart was shrinking, and her fear was magnified. What would Wheein do to her? But looking at Wheein now, she was 100 times better than she was before.

It was just probably 300 metres away from where Wheein stood but Hwasa felt like forever as she walked closer towards her best friend. She quickly thought of words to say but when she finally stood face to face with Wheein, all those words miraculously disappeared.

“What are you doing here?”

Wheein was the first to speak out after few minutes of silence.

“How are you doing?”

“Not good. Not good since I met Moonbyul. Why? Why did you have to appear in front of me?”

“I’m sorry, Wheein.”

“I have been living perfectly fine; and I’m really happy with Yongsun. Why must Moonbyul appear now?”

“She has been searching high and low for you. She couldn’t stop worrying about you. She still loves you.”

“Is she?”

Hwasa nodded. She then took the courage to put her arms on Wheein’s shoulders. The other didn’t retaliate or pull away. She was calm.

“You have changed, Wheein.”

“Yes, I have. Yongsun changed me.”

“Is she your doctor?”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

Hwasa was right. She sighed softly.

“She’s beautiful.”

“You met her?”

“I saw her yesterday. She was so happy and told me that she’s meeting her girlfriend. Then this morning, I saw her again. Her sparkling eyes turned red. I guess, something must have happened.”

“I hurt her. I did that to her and I hate that feeling more than ever.”

“What did you do, Wheein?”

Wheein shed tears as she broken-heartedly confessed her heart.

“Because Moonbyul confused me. And I wanted to embrace her last night.”

Hwasa was surprised.

“You still love Moonbyul?”

“I don’t know.”

“Because she still loves you.”

“But I can’t. Not when Yongsun loves me so much.”

Wheein broke down and cried her heart out. It must have been tormenting her since last night. Hwasa leaned forward and hugged Wheein tightly.

“I’m sorry, Wheein ah. I’m really sorry.”

-

Moonbyul realized Hwasa was out for too long. She wondered where the woman could be. So she paid for the food and drinks before heading outside. She spotted Hwasa and Wheein together. She was delighted and was about to run up to them when she overheard Wheein’s words.

“I hurt her. I did that to her and I hate that feeling more than ever.”

“What did you do, Wheein?”

“Because Moonbyul confused me. And I wanted to embrace her last night.”

“You still love Moonbyul?”

“I don’t know.”

“Because she still loves you.”

“But I can’t. Not when Yongsun loves me so much.”

So, her deduction was correct. Wheein found another. Moonbyul was disheartened but she felt responsible. She must let Wheein know the truth of her heart and what she wanted to tell her.

She was about to cross the street when suddenly, a car just out of nowhere, slammed into Moonbyul.  And the other two women saw it.

“MOONBYUL UNNIE!”

“MOON BYULYI!!”

This was such a crazy mess.

-