Of an early morning in the library

Their Magic of Love

The sun is shining through colourful windows onto the huge book in front of Minseok, tinting its pages in various colours. He’s sitting in the library at his usual table - between the herbology books and the poetry section. It’s a quiet corner, which isn’t a surprise on a sunday morning. 

Minseok is one of the few souls there, but he doesn’t feel out of place. His diligent study habit is common knowledge in his year, not to mention that him being a Ravenclaw influences the people’s opinion about him anyway.

He shakes his head to get rid of the train of thought and concentrates on his book again. There is an upcoming test in his ancient runes class next week and he won’t be able to study much for it due to his Quidditch practice schedule and other assignments. Like his essay for DADA and not to forget that he has to practice a new spell for transfiguration or-

“Hey, Hyung.”

Minseok’s head snaps up and he’s met with curled lips stretched into a smile.

“Oh, good morning, Dae.”

“I missed you during breakfast. I got up early just to see you before your study time.” Jongdae sits down across from him with a whine. “I know I’m too noisy, but you gave me no chance. I’m here to check if you hold up your end of the deal.”

Minseok chuckles at the cute whine, but he deliberately ignores the last part and changes the focus to Jongdae’s side of their agreement. 

“Well, now that you’re here you can actually do something for real.”

Brown eyes widen, with straight eyebrows raised into a ridiculous fringe and a gasp follows.

“Are you saying I’m not studying enough?”

“That's exactly what I mean.”

“Just so you know, I got a B+ on my last Creature Care essay!”

“Well, it could have been an A if you had more time and didn’t get into detention with Baekhyun.”

“That topic again? You know that-” Jongdae inhales sharply. “No, we already fought about this, we don’t need to discuss it any longer. You changed the topic, Hyung. Back to you - did you eat?”

Minseok sighs. He didn’t. The first place he went to after waking up wasn’t the Great Hall, but the library. Yet he won’t admit that to anyone.

“Yes, I did.” At Jongdae’s raised eyebrow, he adds with a tense grin, “You just have to get up earlier next time.”

A huff follows and the creaking of a chair cuts through the quiet air.

“We both know you’re lying.” Jongdae looks disappointed. “I’ll get you something.”

Minseok watches the retreating back and sighs again. Jongdae has every right to be disappointed, yet his heart stings at the reaction.

 

The younger convinced him to make a deal at the beginning of this semester - Jongdae would make sure that Minseok eats enough and in return, Minseok controls that Jongdae invests enough time into studying. It was their own way of showing affection - he knows that Jongdae worries a lot about his health since his incident last year. And Minseok isn’t any better with his anxious thoughts about the younger’s aversion to memorize, in Jongdae’s words, useless knowledge and thus failing classes. 

That’s why Minseok keeps quiet when the brown-eyed boy arrives at his table with three small pies in his hand. He probably snatched them from the kitchen, because breakfast is already over. That he got inside the library with such friable pastries is a small wonder in itself.

“Here, please eat, Hyung.” Jongdae places the pies in front of him onto a napkin. “I won’t look. I’ll get a book, read and won’t disturb you.” He turns around once more and disappears behind a bookshelf.

 

Minseok eyes the pies, they do look delicious and his stomach grumbles. Looking around to check if someone is watching him, he arranges the book and napkin in a way to cover them. This way he avoids angering Madam Pince as well - he doesn’t need to get onto her bad side. Now thankful that the runes book is a tall one, he hides behind it to bite into the pastry and hums satisfied when he tastes blueberries. Jongdae knows him well and his cheeks get warm at the thought.

Said boy slid back onto the chair without him noticing and is now reading a book. While he eats the next pie, Minseok steals glances at him. The sun creates a colourful pattern onto brown hair, enhancing its shiny nature and the accuracy of the ridiculously short fringe. On every other person, he’d say it looks terrible - but the short, straight strands of hair make room for Jongdae’s expressive face. And Minseok could gaze for hours at such handsome features.

After several more glances, he finishes eating all three pastries and Minseok’s productive side takes over again. He gets back to do his task, concentrating on runes he has problems to use - repeating their meaning in different words to help him comprehend when to apply them. After translating several paragraphs, he takes a break to rub his face and realizes that it’s silent. Merely the occasional flop of a book reshelving itself can be heard.

 

Minseok glances over the edge of his makeshift barrier and sees how Jongdae is mirroring him, hiding behind a book. Only a few strands of brown hair and his right hand clutching the side of the book can be seen.

It irks him that Jongdae stays true to his words - usually, he would be babbling nonstop. He’d talk about his day, or gossip and most of the time he’d describe the pranks he’s planning together with Baekhyun. Minseok prefers to stay silent during his rants, listening with a fond smile and giving a hum at appropriate times to show he’s following the story.

In truth, he’s not really listening to every single word that leaves Jongdae’s mouth. On one side, Minseok prefers to stay out of the shenanigans of those two dorks. And on the other side, his eyes are more drawn to the way curled lips formulate vowels and how straight eyebrows narrate their own adventure.

 

But nothing of this is happening right now - said face is hiding, out of sight. Minseok listens for a few moments longer if he can hear the turning of a page. What he catches though is the sound of quiet snores. His lips form a fond smile and his gaze turns warm. Minseok’s heart starts to beat faster when he thinks about how big-hearted and devoted the younger is.

Caring so much to almost bribe him into their deal, just to make sure his Hyung is healthy. 

Getting up early even though he’d prefer to sleep in, just to see Minseok before he’s immersed in his thoughts for the whole day.

Sneaking into the kitchen and smuggling prohibited food into the library, risking Madam Pince’s fury.

Staying quiet to not disturb his concentrated Hyung, reading and giving his best to hold up to his side of their deal.

Falling asleep while doing so.

 

With a blush, Minseok realizes that Jongdae’s behaviour is similar to a doting boyfriend.